Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Gamers? 
Post Re: Gamers?
I actually managed to skip a generation completely - the previous one - which had one of the best consoles of all-time: the PS2. Was just too busy and broke to consider...! I couldn't do it again this time, but I can only handle the cheapest one at the moment - the Wii. It's a bummer that I'm missing so many great games on the 360 and PS3, but I don't know how much time I'd have to play them all anyway, so the Wii suits my schedule there.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 am
I do love my video games. :D RPGs mostly. I like FPS games but not on a console and my PC isn't good enough to play them without massive lag problems these days so I don't get play as many as I would like to.

SORocker wrote:
Speaking of old RPGs, don't tell me I'm the only one here who thinks FFVIII is better than FFVII. Anyone else of the same mind?

VIII is definitely my favourite Final Fantasy game. I don't fully understand why the junction-system was so despised; it allowed great customisation and really, was drawing magic any more tedious than leveling-up in any other game? I really liked VII and still do but it's so hard to remember that when dealing with the rabid fan section on the internet. Regrettably the only response I can give to, "VII is the greatest game ever", is, "well, no, it isn't", and this inevitably seems to descend into, "so you hate VII do you?". That's the price you pay for talking about video games on the internet though, and VII certainly isn't the only game to produce such a fanbase. ;)

I'm currently walking the tight-rope with looking forward to FFXIII without succumbing to the hype, expecting it to revolutionise RPGs and then being so disappointed when it doesn't that I can't see any of the good things about it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:47 am
marcusR wrote:
haha, I wish I could say the same thing as Patrick - I'd love to be able to have the patience to stay behind a generation or two - most likely would get the games and systems at low costs!

But alas, I've picked up a Wii and PS3. Good times though. I still have and play the ps2, SNES, and N64, as well as countless titles downloaded off of the Wii's Virtual Console.

For ps3, my playstation network name is M-arcusR for anyone who is online and would like to add me. (just send me a quick message saying you're from the reelviews board so I know you're not just some random lol)

Currently playing Little Big Planet (freakin amazing), and GTA4.
rock on

I don't have the patience to stay behind, I don't have the money to go to future.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am
sheryl wrote:
My favorite RPG PS2 is Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Kingdom Hearts is also a very fun game to play.

I played Neverwinter Nights (PC game) years ago and really liked it.

I'm currently playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on PS3. It's my first PS3 game (aside from Rock Band). So far I'm enjoying it.

Currently addicted to Mario Kart Nintendo DS.

Need to see a doctor for sore thumbs...

Baldur's Gate 2 is fantastic, but I played it on the PC.

My favourite RPG is Earthbound, but Fallout 3 has been making itself known to me in the last 2 months(well over 70 hours put into the game now).

I've got a PS3 and a Wii, and my consoles stretch back to the NES. I own all the major Nintendo consoles, plus a Genesis, a Master System, and a PS2. Although it's just the PS3 that gets any play these days. Between the ability to stream video from my PC and the Internet, and the quality selection of games, the others don't get turned on(aside from Smash Bros, the greatest fighting game ever).

My top 5 games ever are probably Earthbound, Fallout 3(I admit I haven't played the first two), Battletoads, Chrono Trigger, and Police Quest.

Grim Fandango is up there too. Outside of Telltale, not too many companies making them adventure games anymore. Which is tragic.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 am
If you're a budget-minded gamer, it's easy to avoid the $60 hit for new games if you can train yourself not to run out and buy 'em the day they first come out -- wait until they've been out for a year or so, and you can usually get 'em used for $20 or so.

Only downside is if you're into the whole multiplayer online thing -- some games don't have many people playing 'em online a year or more later.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:24 pm
timgoens wrote:
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was an amazing game! I played through that so many times. Neverwinter Nights was really good too, but I am a total whore for everything that Bioware does. Have you looked into their new one, Dragon Age? Looks to be getting back to their CRPG roots.Drake's Fortune was pure fun. I think the voice acting is some of the best I have heard.

i'm not familiar with dragon age. i'll look into it. thanks!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:06 pm
munroe wrote:
I've got a PS3 and a Wii, and my consoles stretch back to the NES. I own all the major Nintendo consoles, plus a Genesis, a Master System, and a PS2. Although it's just the PS3 that gets any play these days. Between the ability to stream video from my PC and the Internet, and the quality selection of games, the others don't get turned on(aside from Smash Bros, the greatest fighting game ever).

wow you are a life gamer. i only play whatever console my husband buys. i play whatever games he plays. every now and then i buy my own games like kingdom hearts, zelda phantom hourglass (DS), rock band, guitar hero, etc. my wii fit is getting dusty.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:08 pm
sheryl wrote:
munroe wrote:

wow you are a life gamer. i only play whatever console my husband buys. i play whatever games he plays. every now and then i buy my own games like kingdom hearts, zelda phantom hourglass (DS), rock band, guitar hero, etc. my wii fit is getting dusty.

You ever play Kingdom Hearts II, sheryl?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:11 pm
munroe wrote:
I've got a PS3 and a Wii, and my consoles stretch back to the NES. I own all the major Nintendo consoles, plus a Genesis, a Master System, and a PS2.

What, no 2600, Intellivision, or Pong? Amateur!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm
Talisker wrote:
munroe wrote:
I've got a PS3 and a Wii, and my consoles stretch back to the NES. I own all the major Nintendo consoles, plus a Genesis, a Master System, and a PS2.

What, no 2600, Intellivision, or Pong? Amateur!

Nope, they're before my time. I know I should have at least one for collector's purposes, but I never wanted to be "that guy." Most of the stuff I own I bought in college because it was cheap. I would go to Microplay, and I saw new GC games for 50 bucks, or an NES game for 6. I beat a lot of old shitty games in college.

I got my NES when I was 4(well the FAMILY got an NES), so it's deeply ingrained into me. I'm also a life-long puzzle solver, and some video games fill that void better than any mensa puzzle or sudoku can. It's also why I'm a software developer, lots of puzzle solving there.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:32 pm
SORocker wrote:
Speaking of old RPGs, don't tell me I'm the only one here who thinks FFVIII is better than FFVII. Anyone else of the same mind?

I agree with you. FFVIII was better.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:36 pm
Games are a guilty pleasure of mine and I spend way too much time playing them.

Right now it's Call of Duty 4 and World At War, Halo 3, and Fallout 3. The 'Nazi Zombie' mode in World At War is a lot of fun. And CoD4 is a great shooter.

Halo is great when I have a friend over.

Fallout 3 is a fantastic RPG that just pulled me right into the universe and the story. I still haven't finished Oblivion/Shivering Isles.

I think Fallout could make a great basis for a film.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm
Pig wrote:
SORocker wrote:

I agree with you. FFVIII was better.

I.... I thought I was the only one. Yay for FFVIII!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:24 pm
Pedro wrote:
I love video games, but I've been too busy and too focused on other things to play anything too new. The last new game I got into was Gran Theft Auto IV, so I still need to play Metal Gear Solid 4, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, No More Heroes, and a lot of others. I'm a big survival horror fan, so the game to break this weird slump I'm in will be Resident Evil 5.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was definitely the best game of last year. Well, if you skip all the risible cutscenes that is. The gameplay, the audiovisual tour-de-force, the graphics, they were all more than solid. Heh.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:25 pm
Patrick wrote:
You ever play Kingdom Hearts II, sheryl?

yes but i never finished. actually, i started the game 2-3 times. something always comes up that prevents me from finishing the game (dissertation, internship, all the other grown-up stuff lol). maybe one of these days...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 pm
I spend more time seeking games from the 80s and 90s that I missed than following the current scene. I'm playing Shadowgate (NES) right now.

Does anybody else find that older games move at a brisker pace? I don't just mean they're shorter, but there's less padding in the form of cut-scenes, loading screens, and empty areas without challenges. You quickly get to the game of the game and that's better for a busy person than most modern games.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Longfellow wrote:
Does anybody else find that older games move at a brisker pace? I don't just mean they're shorter, but there's less padding in the form of cut-scenes, loading screens, and empty areas without challenges. You quickly get to the game of the game and that's better for a busy person than most modern games.

I think more than anything that is just the natural progression of technology. I still remember when the Legend of Zelda let you save with the battery pack it had in it! Now, we can store more information on larger discs, with music and all that jazz. So, there you get the next step. Some are good, some are bad. Without the larger storage we would not be able to have games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, or Okami.

Personally going back and playing something like Super Ghosts and Goblins isn't that much fun because you have like 3 lives to finish it. I remember when that was all we had, and my cousin and I had to leave it on pause for days on end. I don't have the time to devote to that now.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 pm
I'm mainly a pc gamer, although I do have a PS2 and a Gamecube as well. I gravitate towards rpgs and Deus Ex-style hybrid games, though I'm willing to give most action or adventure games a go. My all time favourite game would have to be Thief, though Baldur's Gate 2 comes very close. I don't do much multiplayer gaming, aside from occasional Team Fortress 2 bouts.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 am
Whiplash wrote:
VIII is definitely my favourite Final Fantasy game. I don't fully understand why the junction-system was so despised; it allowed great customisation and really, was drawing magic any more tedious than leveling-up in any other game?

I agree wholeheartedly. I loved it how you could be at your initial level and still max everybody's stats by junctioning the right magic. It made the rest of the game go by much quicker, because you didn't have to do any random battles, other than for drawing, and killing monsters was a breeze because their HP was so incredibly low. I dunno about other people, but I find a certain satisfaction in having a party that can completely dominate anything it comes across, especially when they're all at level 7.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm
I have xbox 360, wii, and ps2... well and some older consoles I don't play anymore. Nearly all of my games i've picked up used super cheap. I never buy them right when they come out. I recently finished Bioshock which... I liked, but didn't love. Thought it was somewhat overrated. More like an 8/10 than a 10/10 for me. But i'm more of an action/adventure fan than a FPS. I'm currently making my way through Super Mario Galaxy which is A-MA-ZING... just the level of imagination and creativity that has gone into every level. This isn't a game that has one or two big things that are innovative, more like a million little things that are inventive, particularly in level design.

Fave games ever?
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario World
Metal Gear Solid

umm.. can't think of anything else that's in that TOP tier of games I loved. Perhaps the next closest is Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:03 pm