Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
2010 Oscar Nominations 
Post 2010 Oscar Nominations
BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up In the Air

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)
Helen Mirren (The Last Station)
Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)
Meryl Streep (Julie and Julia)

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
George Clooney (Up In the Air)
Colin Firth (A Single Man)
Morgan Freeman (Invictus)
Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Matt Damon (Invictus)
Woody Harrellson (The Messenger)
Christopher Plummer (The Last Station)
Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)
Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Penelope Cruz (Nine)
Vera Farmiga (Up In the Air)
Maggie Gyllenhaal (Crazy Heart)
Anna Kendrick (Up In the Air)
Mo'Nique (Precious)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM OF THE YEAR
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fos
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells
Up

ACHIEVEMENT IN ART DIRECTION
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Nine
Sherlock Holmes
The Young Victoria

ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The White Ribbon

ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
Bright Star
Coco Before Chanel
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Nine
The Young Victoria

ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
James Cameron (Avatar)
Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)
Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)
Lee Daniels (Precious)
Jason Reitman (Up In the Air)

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Burma VJ
The Cove
Food, Inc.
The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers
Which Way Home

ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
Il Divo
Star Trek
The Young Victoria

ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
Ajami
El Secreto De Sus Ojos
The Milk of Sorrow
A Prophet
The White Ribbon

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Hurt Locker
Sherlock Holmes
Up

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SONG)
"Almost There" from The Princess and the Frog Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
"Down in New Orleans" from The Princess and the Frog Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
"Loin de Paname" from Paris 36 Music by Reinhardt Wagner Lyric by Frank Thomas
"Take It All" from Nine Music and Lyric by Maury Yeston
"The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)" from Crazy Heart Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Up

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS
District 9
Star Trek

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Neill Blomkamp (District 9)
Nick Hornby (An Education)
Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armondo Iannucci (In the Loop)
Jeffrey Fletcher (Precious)
Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner (Up In the Air)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Mark Boal (The Hurt Locker)
Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)
Oren Moverman (The Messenger)
Joel and Ethan Coen (A Serious Man)
Pete Docter, Bob Peterson and Tom McCarthy (Up)

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 am
Post Re: 2010 Oscar Nominations
My responses, category by category:

~I'm happy to see they didn't vote on autopilot for Invictus.
~THE BLIND SIDE. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY. I would have been happier with Invictus.
~The rest were rather expected.
~Bah, no nomination for The Messenger.

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
~Here be all of the safe nominees.
~Helen Mirren didn't need to be nominated. She wasn't even the lead, right?

~This set is also pretty safe, but I'm still glad Jeremy Renner made his way in there.
~Did we really need to nominate Morgan Freeman?

~Again, all safe nominees.
~Matt Damon didn't do ANYTHING in Invictus.
~Christian McKay gave one of the best supporting performances of the year and they passed over him for Matt Damon. Oh cruel world.
~Finally, Christopher Plummer gets a goddamn nomination. Still no love for Alfred Molina.

~Okay, that Maggie Gyllenhaal nomination is surprising. Not unwelcome, but surprising.
~I would have preferred Moore over Cruz, but whatever. I thought everyone hated Nine now.

~The Secret of Kells?! Hooray!!! I haven't seen it, but I'm more interested now. I'm just happy they didn't auto-nominated Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
~ Apparently it's spelled "Fantastic Mr. Fos".

ACHIEVEMENT IN ART DIRECTION
~Jeez, I was way off on this category. Why did I doubt The Young Victoria?
~All good nominees in my book, except maybe Nine.

ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
~Wat, Harry Potter.
~I can't believe Christian Berger got a nomination for The White Ribbon. I'm so happy.
~We lost Nine. I can deal.

ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
~Wow, the Academy really liked Imaginarium. Go you, Academy!
~And here I thought Bright Star would be passed over completely. Now I have false hope it'll beat the Young Victoria.
~Bah, no Where the Wild Things Are.

ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
~Aaaaallllll the usual suspects. No surprises here. This is straight out of the DGA nominations.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
~The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers just opened to a pretty awful per theater average.
~Which Way Home was pretty low on my predictions, but I'm glad I get to see it now.

ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
~Um, go Precious? *burp*
~I don't know why I thought Inglourious Basterds wouldn't get a Film Editing nomination. I guess Up in the Air was just so spectacular.
~By the way, Up in the Air is doneskies. It's not going to win. You can't win without an editing nomination.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
~And I thought no one cared about The Milk of Sorrow. Go Peru!
~Bah, no Samson and Delilah. I'll live.

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
~I'm REALLY surprised about Fantastic Mr. Fox. I thought for sure it'd be passed over for The Informant!
~I kind of dug The Informant!'s score, though. Awww.
~THE HURT LOCKER???!!! I'll take it.

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SONG)
~I thought the Academy would reject two nominees because they weren't good enough. Fuck this category. It's a nightmare to predict. I'm happy I got all of mine.
~Loin de Paname is a surprise, but not if you think about it. Even though no one saw the movie, everyone listened to the song. The Academy rated the song highly. Makes sense. This is probably the biggest threat to The Weary Kind.

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
~So... what were the sound effects in Inglourious Basterds?
~I'm still trying to figure out why everyone said Up.
~District 9 should be in here.

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
~Yay, Transformers!!! *burp*
~I'm more agreeable with this set of nominees.

~Thank you for not nominating Transformers, these three deserve it more.
~Thank you for not nominating 2012, now I don't have to see it by March 7.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
~I can't believe In the Loop got a nomination. Can't fuckin' believe it. I'm so proud of the Academy. It almost makes up for The Blind Side.
~Otherwise, no surprises. Just glad District 9 weaseled its way in there.
~I'm disappointed there wasn't enough support for Fantastic Mr. Fox, but if only one surprise can exist per category, I can live with that surprise being In the Loop.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
~Whoever called me out on (500) Days of Summer was right.
~That said, I'm ecstatic about being wrong if it means The Messenger has a slot.
~I'm not sure if Inglourious Basterds or The Hurt Locker is going to take this category. Should be exciting.

All in all, I'm not too angry. The Blind Side's existence in the Best Picture category is a big fail, but everything else is standard Academy stuff plus a few surprises.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 am
No nomination for Sam Rockwell? I won't be watching. What a freakin tragedy.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:52 am
Personally, I think the Academy did real good by giving a Best Picture nomination to the Blind Side, A supporting actress nomination to Maggie Gyllenhaal and a screenplay nomination to In The Loop. Frankly, they did real good this year. They ignored all the movies that deserved to be ignored (Transformers, 2012, Invictus) and nominated worthy films in most cases, although I will admit the omission of (500) Days of Summer is bad

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 pm
Question: "Up" is the only nominated animated feature to be also nominated as best picture, so it must win best best animated feature? Yes?

As much as I enjoyed "Up", my vote would go to "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Or "Avatar"...

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 pm
My responses to your responses, category by category. Sometimes.

Pedro wrote:
My responses, category by category:

~THE BLIND SIDE. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY. I would have been happier with Invictus.

Me too.
Pedro wrote:
~Bah, no nomination for The Messenger.

Good!

Pedro wrote:
~Did we really need to nominate Morgan Freeman?

Freeman had a nice something going for him. Maybe it was an aura. Or, maybe it was a hilarious pair of dentures and a sporadic accent.

Pedro wrote:
~Matt Damon didn't do ANYTHING in Invictus.

HE SPOKE WITH A FOOKIN ACCENT. Imho he was alright. I preferred him in The Informant! though.

Pedro wrote:
I thought everyone hated Nine now.

Them damn Weinsteins be powerful still.

Pedro wrote:
~The Secret of Kells?! Hooray!!! I haven't seen it, but I'm more interested now. I'm just happy they didn't auto-nominated Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Me too. Where's Ponyo though?

Pedro wrote:
~Thank you for not nominating Transformers, these three deserve it more.

I'll give Jack his jacket. TF2 had some of the best daytime-CG I've ever seen. Night CG is so much easier since it hides the flaws.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm
Director

Quote:
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up In the Air

wow, 3 of those movies made over 200 mill. 2 made over 100. ratings should be way up this year.

2003 was the last year any best pic nominee made over 200(Return of the King)

I think if Hurt Locker wins, it will be the lowest grossing Best Pic winner since the Last Emperor

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:21 pm
Director

The Blind Side for best picture.

:lol:

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm
Profile YIM
Assistant Second Unit Director

I sort of knew it would happen, but Mary and Max not getting a best animation nomination is such a travesty. It's by far the best movie of last year. Anyone who's seen it agrees that it's leaps and bounds better than Up.

Blind Side's best picture nomination is bullshit. Agreed.

I really think 500 Days of Summer deserved a best editing nomination as well as screenplay...ya know, 500 days of summer would have replaced Blind Side really nicely for best picture.

Why no nomination for Sin Nombre for best foreign film? I don't get it.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 pm
Well now.

No surprises in the expanded Best Picture category... holy FUCK! Both Inglourious Basterds and A Serious Man? You mean the two best pictures of 2009 both got nominated?! Now that's gotta be a first. The rest weren't very surprising save for District 9 -- not a very good movie (in my book) but definitely an unusual, bold-seeming choice. Good work, Hollywood prostitutes and pimps.

The Best Actress roster isn't all that surprising, either, but it features Carey Mulligan who, out of the performances I've seen on the list, did the finest work.

Congratulations to Morgan Freeman. Although a viral video of him taking a massive dump would have snagged him a nomination so, you know, whatever.

Anna Kendrick from Up in the Air was a courtesy no matter how adorable she may be. Penelope Cruz is contractually bound to get nominated in the Best Supporting category every year from now until 2037 so we best get used to it.

I'd never heard of The Secret of Kells until today. It's animated, apparently.

I was wrong about Lone Scherfig's lock in the Best Director category but right about Lee Daniels' lock in the same category. Tarantino is up (kind of surprising) and should, naturally, win. Congrats in advance to James Cameron's ex-wife for the victory.

The Best Foreign Film category has many glaring omissions but contains the best foreign language film of the year as well as the best movie of the year not called Inglourious Basterds or A Serious Man.

The Best Docs (in the greater midwest) are all message-heavy (which is typical) and probably fairly good (I haven't seen the promising-sounding Burma VJ). The Most Dangerous Man in America is the best out of the four I have seen but it wasn't great.

And now the best categories:

SCREENPLAYS.

I'm glad (500) Days didn't see a nomination... the movie wasn't original or particularly good in any way that demands a nod. The originals, other than that, are all respectable (though tetsuo_iron_man claims The Messenger wasn't all that and a bag of Jennifer Lopez) .

The adapteds are all good picks in this guy's book. Up in the Air is the best out of those nominated because not only did the movie work but it GREATLY improved upon a middling novel. That's what the great adaptations can do!

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 pm
Here's my comments for the bigger categories.

Best Picture
At least Transformers 2 isn't among this group. But seriously, "The Blind Side" is a good movie but I mean, "Star Trek" "Moon" and "(500) Days of Summer" deserve a nod over this Sandra Bullock flick. Other than that, it's a solid group.

Best Leading Actress
No complaints here.

Best Leading Actor
I could make a strong case for Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Sam Rockwell over Morgan Freeman but this nomination is more of a "body of work" rather than just for "Invictus" alone.

Best Supporting Actor
To me, it doesn't matter because Waltz has this award on lockdown.

Best Supporting Actress
Same thing with Mo'Nique, award on lockdown.

Best Animated Feature
Ponyo anyone?

Best Director
Very happy that both Quentin Tarantino and Lee Daniels both got a nomination here.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Very happy that "District 9" got nominated. Shows that action films can also be thought-provoking.

Best Original Screenplay
Where's "(500) Days of Summer???"

Not at all too disappointed with the Academy, a few omissions here and there but it'll be great to see the results.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:11 pm
So since Inglourious Basterds and A Serious Man likely have no shot at winning Best Picture, which one am I to pull for to win Best Original Screenplay? Do I really care? No, not really, they're both great. But, I've fallen in with the wrong crowd lately, and they seem to think its a good idea to play drinking games (with alcohol!) during the Oscars. By the time the screenplay awards roll around, I'll be good and sloshed, so it would be nice to be able to tell them all, "I told you so!" Because they're manipulative assholes - not because I'm small, or petty, or any other adjective that can be used to damage my character. So tell me, which one is the one?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:42 pm
Aside from "The Blind Side" (I think it's slightly frowned upon, but this is a situation in which I can say, "What the fuck?!") and (500) Days being snubbed entirely (BP and best screenplay), I'm rather fine with all the choices.

I mean, I'm not as angry about (500) Days as I was for Dark Knight last year. Still, with ten nominees, it feels painful that Blind Side got not only a nom, but a BEST PICTURE nom and (500) Days didn't. Hell, Transformers 2, the worst movie of the year did...sigh, life just isn't fair.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Director

Here were my surprises:

- My favorite film of the year, "District 9", got nominated for four Oscars, including "Best Picture" surprisingly. What did they screw up on? Not nominating Sharlto Copley for "Best Actor"

- Anna Kendrick got nominated for her performance in "Up in the Air", which in my opinion was the most overrated critically acclaimed performance of the year. She's fine in it but she was nothing incredible, surely not frickin' Oscar nominee worthy!

- Zoe Saldana not being nominated for Best Actress for "Avatar", yet the crazy hype behind Sandra Bullock's performance (which is probably going to win, and "The Blind Side", a fine movie, but nothing extraordinary, got nominated for Best Picture - is the Academy high?) got nominated. Just because Saldana was in CGI the whole film doesn't mean she isn't deserving of a nod for her rich performance in that film.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:38 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Here were my surprises:
- Zoe Saldana not being nominated for Best Actress for "Avatar", yet the crazy hype behind Sandra Bullock's performance (which is probably going to win, and "The Blind Side", a fine movie, but nothing extraordinary, got nominated for Best Picture - is the Academy high?) got nominated. Just because Saldana was in CGI the whole film doesn't mean she isn't deserving of a nod for her rich performance in that film.

Did Saldana actually do anything aside from provide a voice?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 am
Critic

Bondurant wrote:

Yeah she does all the movements her character does in motion capture. Like Andy Serkis in LotR 2/3

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 am
Biggest omision: (500) Days of Summer. At least should have gotten a screenplay nod. in MY book this was the best of the year
Least deserving nomination: Damon AND morgan freeman. I would have put Joseph Gordon-Lewitt for Freeman
Most intriguing tought: Sandra Bullock could get both Oscar (witch she does NOT deserve) and razzie (witch she DEFFINETILY deserves) in the same year

and the only real cliffhanger of the evening: who will win the battle of the ex-es
I think that they will split it, with Hurt Locker getting best director, but Avatar getting best picture

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Gaffer

No nod for Viggo is blasphemy.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:39 pm
Critic

For what? Being quiet?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
The originals, other than that, are all respectable (though tetsuo_iron_man claims The Messenger wasn't all that and a bag of Jennifer Lopez) .

Yeah, but that guy also dug (500) Days of Summer, so I wouldn't trust his opinion for jack shit.

JamesKunz wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

Yeah she does all the movements her character does in motion capture. Like Andy Serkis in LotR 2/3

I don't understand the Saldana love at all. Reasonable job, but surely if you were going to nominate a motion capture performance at all, then it should have gone to Andy Serkis for those films.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next