Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination 
Critic

Post The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
And I want to go die now

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 am
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
Agreed. I certainly was....wait for it....BLINDSIDED by the film's nomination!

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:07 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:

*Laughs* Peachy, that comment was easily the best thing about that ridiculous nomination

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

You and your jokes. Did you even bother to watch the movie? I hear it starts strongly and then Peters out.

Please accept my apologies.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm
Critic

I watched it and it was fucking awful. *1/2 stars. Outrageously bad, with a view of race relations that would have seemed dated in 1963. And yet...America seems to love it

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm
This is a bad idea, but I've never let that stop me...

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh us stupid Americans!

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:01 pm
Critic

Yeah. We suck sometimes. Especially with our inexplicable love of Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:03 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I watched it and it was fucking awful. *1/2 stars. Outrageously bad, with a view of race relations that would have seemed dated in 1963. And yet...America seems to love it

I gave the film a very weak 2.5 stars, the last 20 minutets of the film, you can feel Hollywood just adding stuff to make the film longer. Sandra Bullock is very good, but I don't think it Oscar worthy good.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 pm
Profile YIM
Director

PeachyPete wrote:

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ba-Da-Dum

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 pm
Profile YIM
Assistant Second Unit Director

People were predicting this nomination, and I kept hoping it wouldn't happen. I can't think of a single movie the past decade more undeserving of a best picture nomination than this one.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:53 pm
Critic

The Next Big Ching wrote:
People were predicting this nomination, and I kept hoping it wouldn't happen. I can't think of a single movie the past decade more undeserving of a best picture nomination than this one.

Seriously. I would have rather had Star Trek. Harry Potter 6. Paranormal Activity. Fantastic Mr. Fox. Taken. Anything

To say nothing of movies like Moon, Public Enemies, or In The Loop that were actually very good.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Director

James B gave it 3 stars

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
James B gave it 3 stars

And in this regard, though not many others, our beloved leader is a fool

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:06 pm
Director

I personally thought The Blind Side was a solid film that correctly won it's audience over to the lead character's side and made you root him the entire way. Now, with that said, there's no way it should get a "Best Picture" nomination, that's just absurd.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I personally thought The Blind Side was a solid film that correctly won it's audience over to the lead character's side and made you root him the entire way. Now, with that said, there's no way it should get a "Best Picture" nomination, that's just absurd.
indeed, it looks this film is the new Shakespeare In Love.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:35 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
indeed, it looks this film is the new Shakespeare In Love.

Except this one (knock on wood) at least has no chance of winning

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:35 pm
My theory? The Blind Side got the nomination to legitimize Sandra Bullock's now-assured victory in the Best Actress category. The movie, rated just about average with the critical mass (kind of like last year's The Reader), got the nomination to see a brief re-release to highlight Bullock's performance as do-gooding rich white woman that takes pity on the "colored folk". Because, in the end, that's what The Blind Side really is: Black people, god bless their hearts, need the whites to bat for their best interests.

Seriously: enough of this story and its telling. Its gentle racism is frightening -- it's 2010, people.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
My theory? The Blind Side got the nomination to legitimize Sandra Bullock's now-assured victory in the Best Actress category. The movie, rated just about average with the critical mass (kind of like last year's The Reader), got the nomination to see a brief re-release to highlight Bullock's performance as do-gooding rich white woman that takes pity on the "colored folk". Because, in the end, that's what The Blind Side really is: Black people, god bless their hearts, need the whites to bat for their best interests.

Seriously: enough of this story and its telling. Its gentle racism is frightening -- it's 2010, people.

The more I think about the film, the more I'm tempted to move the film from 2.5 stars to 2 stars. You're coment about gentle racism is almost on point.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:47 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

The more I think about the film, the more I'm tempted to move the film from 2.5 stars to 2 stars. You're coment about gentle racism is almost on point.

I'd say it's 100% on point. The point of a film like The Blind Side isn't any more subtle than what it appears: whites save blacks. Although the message isn't as aggressive as, say, a white power rally it isn't at all benign. That The Blind Side is an "inspirational" movie about conquering against all odds it's also a story about kind-hearted whites who take pity on a poor, stupid black man. True Story designation be damned, I find that more than a little bit hostile. But it's wrapped up in sweet message movie that features actual people. The lesson? If you're rich, white, and have plenty of good values (and free time) you, too, can own the well-being of an impoverished black.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:00 pm
I don't see the big reason for all the slagging off on this film's nomination. Just let it go, people, it's a nomination -- there's no way it'll be the "Best Picture" anyway, and it isn't like the Academy saying "these are the ten best pictures of the year" actually means anything. Bottom line: they got boned last year for trashing Batman by not nominating him. They needed a big blockbuster nominee to please the fans at home, and it came down to this or "The Hangover," and there's no way they were going to pick "The Hangover." So runner-up goes to the little $250 million movie that could.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:28 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next