Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
2010 Razzie Nominations 
Post 2010 Razzie Nominations
WORST PICTURE OF 2009
• All About Steve
• G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
• Land of the Lost
• Old Dogs
• Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (aka Trannies, Too)

WORST ACTOR OF 2009
• All Three Jonas Brothers, Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience
• Will Ferrell, Land of the Lost
• Steve Martin, Pink Panther 2
• Eddie Murphy, Imagine That
• John Travolta, Old Dogs

WORST ACTRESS Of 2009
• Beyoncé, Obsessed
• Sandra Bullock, All About Steve
• Miley Cyrus, Hannah Montana: The Movie
• Megan Fox, Jennifer’s Body and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
• Sarah Jessica Parker, Did You Hear About the Morgans?

WORST SCREEN COUPLE OF 2009
• Any Two (or More) Jonas Brothers, The Jonas Brothers 3-D Concert Experience
• Sandra Bullock & Bradley Cooper, All About Steve
• Will Ferrell & Any Costar, Creature or "Comic Riff," Land of the Lost
• Shia LaBeouf & Either Megan Fox or Any Transformer, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
• Kristen Stewart & Either Robert Pattinson or Taylor Whatz-His-Fang, Twilight Saga: New Moon

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS OF 2009
• Candice Bergen, Bride Wars
• Ali Larter, Obsessed
• Sienna Miller, G.I. Joe
• Kelly Preston, Old Dogs
• Julie White (as Mom), Trannies, Too

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR OF 2009
• Billy Ray Cyrus, Hannah Montana: The Movie
• Hugh Hefner (as himself), Miss March
• Robert Pattinson, Twilight Saga: New Moon
• Jorma Taccone (as Cha-Ka), Land of the Lost
• Marlon Wayans, G.I. Joe

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF OR SEQUEL
• Land of the Lost
• Pink Panther 2 (a Rip-Off of a Sequel to a Remake)
• Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
• Twilight Saga: New Moon

WORST DIRECTOR OF 2009
•Michael Bay, Trannies, Too
• Walt Becker, Old Dogs
• Brad Silberling, Land of the Lost
• Stephen Sommers, G.I. Joe
• Phil Traill, All About Steve

WORST SCREENPLAY OF 2009
• All About Steve
• Land of the Lost
• Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
• Twilight Saga: New Moon

WORST PICTURE OF THE DECADE (3 SPECIAL 30TH RAZZIE-VERSARY AWARDZ)
• Battlefield Earth (2000)
• Freddy Got Fingered (2001)
• Gigli (2003)
• I Know Who Killed Me (2007)
• Swept Away (2002)

WORST ACTOR OF THE DECADE
• Ben Affleck: Daredevil, Gigli, Jersey Girl, Paycheck, Pearl Harbor, Surviving Christmas
• Eddie Murphy: Adventures of Pluto Nash, I Spy, Imagine That, Meet Dave, Norbit, Showtime
• Mike Myers: Cat in the Hat, The Love Guru
• Rob Schneider: The Animal, Benchwarmers, Deuce Bigalo: European Gigolo, Grandma's Boy, The Hot Chick, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, Little Man, Little Nicky
• John Travolta: Battlefield Earth, Domestic Disturbance, Lucky Numbers, Old Dogs, Swordfish

WORST ACTRESS OF THE DECADE
• Mariah Carey: Glitter
• Paris Hilton: The Hottie & the Nottie, House of Wax, Repo: The Genetic Opera
• Lindsay Lohan: Herbie Fully Loaded, I Know Who Killed Me, Just My Luck
• Jennifer Lopez: Angel Eyes, Enough, Gigli, Jersey Girl, Maid in Manhattan, Monster-in-Law, The Wedding Planner
• Madonna: Die Another Day, The Next Best Thing, Swept Away

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm
Post Re: 2010 Razzie Nominations
I'm rooting for Sandra Bullock.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm
Oh good, these guys.

Once in a while maybe you'll go into a store, say they specialize in pimping out new CDs and DVDs... or perhaps, even better, they specialize in pimping out indie rock and the very best in indie cinema (think Gigantic or something quirky). In the store you think to yourself:

"Gosh, Marvin, you really want to like music by Islands or Crucifucks or whatever the hell Pitchfork Media told me to like this week but... well, it's just that I really like Nelly Furtado."

And you find the Nelly Furtado. And you buy the Furtado. And, as you slip your twenty over to the late-to-the-party beatnik behind the counter, you see judgement in his eyes. He doesn't approve of your Nelly Furtado. He believes you should be listening to something actually good. Good like "Petra Haden sings Pink Floyd's The Wall". But you've heard Petra Haden and you thought: she's no Nelly Furtado. But you feel shame. Shame at your Nelly. Shame that someone who was born well over a decade after you is currently in the middle of being cool while you left cool behind when Nelly Furfuckingtado got your donation to her stupid cause so she could release an all-Esperanto cover album of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes (volume IV).

And that's the Razzie committee to me. They're the guy who judges you for buying Furtado when you should have been buying that annoying Petra Haden's latest sonic popsicle. "Oh, it's so cool... she doesn't use any instruments! She uses only her voice! Neat!"

Sure, the Razzie people all claim to be doing what they're doing in good fun. Yeah, it's hilarious when Halle Berry accepts the award for Catwoman despite the fact she would have made a sequel in a fucking minute if a nice check had been offered.

And, pray tell, who are they taking their aim at this year? Megan Fox! Wow! Kind of an easy target, though. I mean, she's pretty and she's kind of in the spotlight at the moment... but, better knock her down a few pegs. All THREE Jonas Brothers! ZING! That'll teach 'em! One of the worst performances of the year was in a piece of irrelevant shit? Man, guys, declaw yourselves!

In all seriousness: I'm being only 50% disingenuous. The Razzies are far stupider then the Oscars and they're doing the same exact job as the people they'd claim to hate (TMZ, People Magazine, or OTHER) and calling it fun/honesty/whatever. They're contributors to the StarFucking community just like those they take down.

-
-
Now: was this post satire? was it sincere? That's the question.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:06 am
Meh, I never liked the razzies myself for the the fact that they just always go after the easy targets and usually end up completely missing the ones that truly deserve the award(though I will admit that Beyonce is definitely one of the absolute WORST actresses ever, far worse then Mariah Carrey or Britney Spears) Also i'm surprised Rolland Emmerich wasn't nominated for worst director.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 am
majoraphasia wrote:
And that's the Razzie committee to me. They're the guy who judges you for buying Furtado when you should have been buying that annoying Petra Haden's latest sonic popsicle. "Oh, it's so cool... she doesn't use any instruments! She uses only her voice! Neat!"

I've always kind of thought of them as the opposite. They prey on the big-name, big-budget movies that failed, but they ignore the actual worst movies of the year.

In a sort of backwards way, they are not the Pitchfork of movies at all in that they ignore the little films and only talk about the big ones. This year is one of their less offending-years, but in the past I have noticed a tendency towards nominating things that would raise the profile of the Razzies, even though they weren't the worst movies at all. I'm actually surprised that they didn't nominate Watchmen for a bunch of stuff just because it was considered a moderate financial failure. Too often the Razzies end up seeming like they're promoting a fascination with Hollywood box-office and disregarding quality.

Those are just my general Razzie thoughts. This year I agree with most of their nominees.

I have never, never, found the Razzies to be judgmental and condescending the way that you consider a record store employee to be.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 am
Trevor wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I've always kind of thought of them as the opposite. They prey on the big-name, big-budget movies that failed, but they ignore the actual worst movies of the year.

In a sort of backwards way, they are not the Pitchfork of movies at all in that they ignore the little films and only talk about the big ones. This year is one of their less offending-years, but in the past I have noticed a tendency towards nominating things that would raise the profile of the Razzies, even though they weren't the worst movies at all. I'm actually surprised that they didn't nominate Watchmen for a bunch of stuff just because it was considered a moderate financial failure. Too often the Razzies end up seeming like they're promoting a fascination with Hollywood box-office and disregarding quality.

Those are just my general Razzie thoughts. This year I agree with most of their nominees.

I have never, never, found the Razzies to be judgmental and condescending the way that you consider a record store employee to be.

You didn't find my post at least a little funny? Not even a tiny little small wee bit? Granted, it was ham-fisted subtlety but I'm not even sure it was that unsubtle.

By way of explanation (and pointing out how the record store guy exchange doesn't lead to the conclusions made about the Razzie committee):

Quote:
In all seriousness: I'm being only 50% disingenuous.

And then there was this:

Quote:

Either you're really good and playing along very nicely or my attempt at humor was a complete wash. Probably the latter.

But, this time in complete sincerity: I don't like the Razzies. It always seemed like more starfucking to me until Fahrenheit 9/11 got a major nod from them by nominating George W. Bush as "Worst Actor". That was lame. From then on out it seemed like starfucking and flagrant celebration of Hollywood's worst people: The TMZ People.

Also in complete sincerity: the Oscars are silly and meaningless. That doesn't mean they aren't any fun. But when Hollywood gives awards to itself for being Hollywood at least I know exactly who's game I'm playing. The Razzies choose safe targets as opposed to offering the only valid satire they could: giving awards to movies is ridiculous.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:04 am
Director

Post Razzie Nominations
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... tml?hpt=T2

Transformers and Land of The Lost head the list. Big shockers, I know.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Oh good, these guys.

Once in a while maybe you'll go into a store, say they specialize in pimping out new CDs and DVDs... or perhaps, even better, they specialize in pimping out indie rock and the very best in indie cinema (think Gigantic or something quirky). In the store you think to yourself:

"Gosh, Marvin, you really want to like music by Islands or Crucifucks or whatever the hell Pitchfork Media told me to like this week but... well, it's just that I really like Nelly Furtado."

And you find the Nelly Furtado. And you buy the Furtado. And, as you slip your twenty over to the late-to-the-party beatnik behind the counter, you see judgement in his eyes. He doesn't approve of your Nelly Furtado. He believes you should be listening to something actually good. Good like "Petra Haden sings Pink Floyd's The Wall". But you've heard Petra Haden and you thought: she's no Nelly Furtado. But you feel shame. Shame at your Nelly. Shame that someone who was born well over a decade after you is currently in the middle of being cool while you left cool behind when Nelly Furfuckingtado got your donation to her stupid cause so she could release an all-Esperanto cover album of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes (volume IV).

Sure, the Razzie people all claim to be doing what they're doing in good fun. Yeah, it's hilarious when Halle Berry accepts the award for Catwoman despite the fact she would have made a sequel in a fucking minute if a nice check had been offered.

And, pray tell, who are they taking their aim at this year? Megan Fox! Wow! Kind of an easy target, though. I mean, she's pretty and she's kind of in the spotlight at the moment... but, better knock her down a few pegs. All THREE Jonas Brothers! ZING! That'll teach 'em! One of the worst performances of the year was in a piece of irrelevant shit? Man, guys, declaw yourselves!

In all seriousness: I'm being only 50% disingenuous. The Razzies are far stupider then the Oscars and they're doing the same exact job as the people they'd claim to hate (TMZ, People Magazine, or OTHER) and calling it fun/honesty/whatever. They're contributors to the StarFucking community just like those they take down.

-
-
Now: was this post satire? was it sincere? That's the question.

Major is razzing the razzies. I vote that this post was sincerely satirical. It also made me laugh heartily. Well done, sir.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:12 pm
Director

What's so funny and ironic about this is that most of the films at the Razzies are going to be big winners at the MTV movie awards.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile YIM
I apologize for misreading what you were saying major.

I have really hated the Razzies in the past, and something you said set me off in that direction, without paying attention to what you actually said or if you were joking or not.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm
Trevor wrote:
I apologize for misreading what you were saying major.

I have really hated the Razzies in the past, and something you said set me off in that direction, without paying attention to what you actually said or if you were joking or not.

No harm done. Given that my posts move from the ultra-serious to the unbelievably ridiculous in the space of several seconds it isn't anyone's fault but my own that I can't convey a reasonable thought without obscuring myself dozens of times over.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 am
Producer

The razzie "winners" (or is it losers? ;) ) are announced tonight, right?

I'm really hoping Sandra Bullock wins tonight, because she's probably going to win the oscar tomorrow night, and I think that would be hilarious for her to win the oscar AND the razzie in the same year! :lol:

Although it wouldn't be the first time that has ever happened. Brian Hegeland "won" both the razzie (for the Postman) AND the oscar (for L.A. Confidential) in 1998. Different category too, obviously. Still, it's pretty funny!

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]