Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Best 60's Movie 
Post Best 60's Movie
What is the best movie of the 1960's? I say 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm
Post Re: Best 60's Movie
The Great Movies forum is for a list of the top 100 movies from some list, so I moved this to General Movies.

For me, Once Upon a Time in the West

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:37 pm
2001, unquestionably. Psycho comes pretty close, though.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:51 pm
Director

From Russia With Love, In The Heat of The Night.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:54 pm
Profile YIM
Patrick wrote:
For me, Once Upon a Time in the West

That is #2 for me.
#1 is La Dolce Vita.

The Graduate would also be up there. Some people don't think it has aged well, but I think it's still as important technically/stylistically as it ever was.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:34 pm
Another vote for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Immediate runners-up are Psycho and Breathless.

Trevor wrote:
The Graduate would also be up there. Some people don't think it has aged well, but I think it's still as important technically/stylistically as it ever was.

I think Ebert is at least partially responsible for the film's re-evaluation. I'm more inclined to agree with you. It remains one of my favourite movies.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 pm
Film_Justin wrote:
What is the best movie of the 1960's? I say 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Just curious why it isn't psycho when its your number 1 film of all time? I'm not being critical or anything and Psycho did come out in 1960 right?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm
2001: A Space Odyssey by a long shot for me, though I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in the West and I imagine I would think highly of that film.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm
As I'm a Bond fan, the best film of the '60's for me would be Dr No. It's also the Bond film that stayed truest to Fleming's novels for me.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 pm
Bergman's Persona is my ultimate selection for its 60s feel, contemporary relevance, and general amazing-ness. It's a personal selection (aren't they all?) and my second pick, Kubrick's epic, is undoubtedly the more pleasing.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 am
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Graduate
8 1/2

have I seen enough films from the '60s to partake in this discussion? no, not really. but i thought it'd be good to mention 8 1/2.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 am
Persona. 2001, Bondage, ....?

Obviously, 2001. 8.5 and Lawrence lead the way if you read THE LIST

I would argue that the top 100 is essential viewing for anyone interested in movies.

A few months after seeing the entire list I can honestly say it's the greatest cinematic experience of my life.

You won't regret it.

The overwhelming feeling is that scales were peeled off my eyes and my mind was opened.

It does not matter about favorites. What matters is that here we have a great body of work to challenge our thoughts.

Rob

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 am
Assistant Director

2001: A Space Odyssey

Followed by:

Dr. No, my favorite Sean Connery Bond film.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

I would argue that the top 100 is essential viewing for anyone interested in movies.

A few months after seeing the entire list I can honestly say it's the greatest cinematic experience of my life.

You won't regret it.

The overwhelming feeling is that scales were peeled off my eyes and my mind was opened.

It does not matter about favorites. What matters is that here we have a great body of work to challenge our thoughts.

Rob

Rob, are you still working your way through the top 1000? Don't know if you realised, but the list was updated this month. The top 100 looks a wee bit different.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:25 pm
Even as big a Bond fan as I am, it has to be 2001.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 pm
Critic

2001 isn't really a movie. It's 80 minutes worth of a good, taut science fiction thriller mixed in with lots of Fantasia: 1968 (classical music overlaid on impressive images with no dialogue) and then ends in a nonsensical acid trip. It may be the film which defines the 1960s, but it ain't the best film of the decade.

Thankfully there are a lot of films which capture the zeitgeist of the decade while still being fascinating, engaging, and cohesive motion pictures. To name a few:
If... (1968)
Z (1969)
The Battle of Algiers (1966)

or just some great films:
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Fail-Safe (1964)
Army of Shadows (1969)

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:35 pm
Director

I've been meaning to watch Army of Shadows for a while. Another one of those movies I get turned off by seeing the running time.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:44 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

You won't regret it.

Rob

Rob, are you still working your way through the top 1000? Don't know if you realised, but the list was updated this month. The top 100 looks a wee bit different.

Hey there Ed,

Saw that. Nice job. Conversation remains slow though :-(

This week I convinced my girlfriend to watch the Criterion Blu ray version of Playime. Jacques Tati.

She loved it. in fact, totally entranced, which was great. I loved my 2nd viewing.

I have the next 100 on my shelf and am summoning up the courage to watch them all. You have to be convinced and dedicated and I'm just insanely busy with work at the moment.

So many exciting titles ahead!

Rob

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:06 am
JamesKunz wrote:
2001 isn't really a movie. It's 80 minutes worth of a good, taut science fiction thriller mixed in with lots of Fantasia: 1968 (classical music overlaid on impressive images with no dialogue) and then ends in a nonsensical acid trip.
2001 is as quintessentially "movie" as it gets. It may be the purest expression of the cinematic medium to date. Remember that it's about storytelling with visuals and sound, but not necessarily words.

And the end is far from nonsensical. It may require you to do some careful reading, but difficult is not nonsensical.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
And the end is far from nonsensical. It may require you to do some careful reading, but difficult is not nonsensical.

To quote Arthur C. Clarke, author of the screenplay: "If you understand '2001' completely, we failed. We wanted to raise far more questions than we answered."

That sounds pretty close to nonsensical to me.

calvero wrote:
I've been meaning to watch Army of Shadows for a while. Another one of those movies I get turned off by seeing the running time.

The 145 minute running length put me off for a while too, but then I sat down to watch the film and it's incredible and fast-moving. **** all the way

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:54 pm