Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:19 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Live Running Commentary? 

Should Berardinelli do a live commentary for the 2009 Oscars?
Poll ended at Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:04 pm
Yes, but without reader input - I just want to read his thoughts 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Yes, but with full reader input - I want to add my 2 cents 40%  40%  [ 19 ]
No, don't make him suffer through the whole thing 21%  21%  [ 10 ]
Doesn't matter - I won't be near my computer 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 47

Live Running Commentary? 
Site Admin

Post Live Running Commentary?
I have been pondering whether or not I should return this year to something I used to do: A live Oscar commentary. Those who are long-time ReelViews readers may remember these (the last one I did was in 2004). Obviously, with the forums in play, the format would be different, but the underlying concept would be the same: providing winner updates and random comments throughout the telecast.

The downside for me is that I would have to WATCH the Oscars live rather than recording them and zipping through them starting around 11 pm ET (which is what I did the last two years).

So, to solicit reader input about how I should proceed, here's a little poll... (This will be active until Saturday.)

Here's the result: I'll open a thread for my live commentary during the telecast. Anyone will be able to post. However, the first post in the thread will hold a running log of my thoughts during the night, so anyone who just wants to read what I have to say will only have to read the first post. I can't say whether I'll be responding to others' posts.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Live Running Commentary?
Do it and we'll suffer with you!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:08 pm
I think it would be funny as hell to see JB and other's comment's during the show..give me a reason not to fall asleep during the musical numbers..skits..in memorium..special oscars..etc..etc.....In fact I am all for going live around 5 EST to make fun of the E Red Carpet Special..that's where you see how vain and ignorant this whole charade really is...'you look beautiful"..."what are you wearing?"..."whose shoes are those?"...etc..etc...That would be Comedy Gold in the words of Kenny Banya

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:34 pm
I think it would be interesting to see again, especially since the live coverage you did before was very entertaining.

You will be happy to find out that instead playing all of the best song nominees, they're simply going to combine condensed versions for a 90-minute melody (the reason why Peter Gabriel won't be performing "Down to Earth").

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:53 pm
Even though it's a bloated beast, it is still the Oscars, and your live comments have been missed. So I hope you'll do it. I don't care whether the readers will be able to comment.

- Sung

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:03 pm
Hi everyone

I don't watch the Oscars live it's just too tedious. I will be recording the event and starting about an hour late and catching up over the seven hours.

I'll read the text later as it should be hilarious.

James - you're mad :-)

Rob

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:10 pm
Just open an "Oscars -- official live thread" for the broadcast, and let everyone pile on in to post snark together. Good times!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm
Site Admin

estefan wrote:
You will be happy to find out that instead playing all of the best song nominees, they're simply going to combine condensed versions for a 90-minute melody (the reason why Peter Gabriel won't be performing "Down to Earth").

Assuming you mean "90 second melody." Otherwise known as "the bathroom break."

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Maybe I'm just a masochist but I couldn't imagine doing anything but watching it live - as long as you do it with a few friends (and a few alcoholic drinks never hurt as well) - it's the way to go for live events. I couldn't imagine taping a World Series game just to watch it after it ends to fast foward through the commericals.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:03 pm
I always enjoyed your commentary on the Oscars live and was a bit disappointed when you stopped. I mean I know it's a tedious show, but I'm still going to be selfish and hope you do the live commentary thing.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
estefan wrote:

Assuming you mean "90 second melody." Otherwise known as "the bathroom break."

Oops, yeah, I meant to write "90 second melody." So, you're going to have take an extremely quick bathroom break.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 pm
I agree with several of the posters who said you have to watch this live....It would be like watching Football all year and then taping the Super Bowl....I would assume everyone that posts on here is a huge movie fan so I can't see how anyone can not watch this...We always just have a few friends over and make a little bit of a party out of it....really helps during the long periods when the ceremony slows to a crawl..but the last hour I am paying close attention when the big awards are given...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:56 pm
I always enjoyed reading your analysis back in the old days. My girlfriend is forcing me to watch this anyway and your commentary here just might make this bearable.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 pm
With our without reader input, I'd love a live running commentary on Oscar night.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
I have been pondering whether or not I should return this year to something I used to do: A live Oscar commentary. Those who are long-time ReelViews readers may remember these (the last one I did was in 2004). Obviously, with the forums in play, the format would be different, but the underlying concept would be the same: providing winner updates and random comments throughout the telecast.

The downside for me is that I would have to WATCH the Oscars live rather than recording them and zipping through them starting around 11 pm ET (which is what I did the last two years).

So, to solicit reader input about how I should proceed, here's a little poll... (This will be active until Saturday.)

I might be a masochist, but I'm no sadist. I voted to not make you suffer. Besides, I'll probably be in bed anyway.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 am
Much as I'd like it to be interactive, I voted for commentary only by James. I'm sure many of the readers here could offer good insight, by I feel like the thread would quickly be inundated by people rushing to be the first to make obvious jokes and simply deriding the choices they disagree with.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 am
There has to be a live Oscars thread though, it would make no sense not to have one on a movie forum. Whether James partakes in that is another thing. Perhaps James could have a live blog on the main site that automatically updates the live thread where all the forum members are discussing things (I know it can be done, where posts are automatically posted via RSS).

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 am
No need, I plan on doing the zip through method too, tried that the last few years and it was wonderful to do this.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:48 am
I think it would be great if you brought the live Oscar commentary back. I had planned on recording the show but if there's a commentary, I'll watch it live. It will make the show more interesting and there will be something to do during the many commercials.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:14 am
Shade wrote:
Much as I'd like it to be interactive, I voted for commentary only by James. I'm sure many of the readers here could offer good insight, by I feel like the thread would quickly be inundated by people rushing to be the first to make obvious jokes and simply deriding the choices they disagree with.

I 100% agree - give me JB 100% proof
Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:42 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next