Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
why not have your own oscar. 
Post Re: why not have your own oscar.
So far this is how it spannng.
The categories have not been decided yet but we seem to be in aggressment that there should be 5 choices per category with the exception of best film where there shoyuld be 10.
For the categories we definately need the following:
1: Best film
2: Best Actor (Leading)
3: Best Actor (Supporting)
4: Best Actress (Leading)
5: Best Actress (Supporting)
6: Best Director

I think that we should start putting some deadlines.
Lets say we have the following schedule.
By Jan 10 we select you will pick our "selection commitee"
BY Mid January the Commitee will have the categories selected.
By the end of Januray Commitee will have each nomination for each category selected and the voting can begin.
Once the list of films is known, this will give people about a month to see all the films in question should they need to.
It can be up to the commitee to when to reveal the winners.

For the moment I think that perhaps using the post count for selecting the commitee may not be a great idea. Therefoer going forward I nominate the following for the commintee.
Pedro.
ed_metal_head
Trevor

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:05 am
p604 wrote:
So far this is how it spannng.
The categories have not been decided yet but we seem to be in aggressment that there should be 5 choices per category with the exception of best film where there shoyuld be 10.
For the categories we definately need the following:
1: Best film
2: Best Actor (Leading)
3: Best Actor (Supporting)
4: Best Actress (Leading)
5: Best Actress (Supporting)
6: Best Director

I maintain that we have the twenty-one categories plus Best Ensemble. So that includes those, for sure. I actually care about the writing and cinematography and sound and stuff. On a side note, I propose we give a special ReelViews Oscar to Avatar for Outstanding Achievement in Visual Effects so that there can actually be competition in that category.

p604 wrote:
I think that we should start putting some deadlines.
Lets say we have the following schedule.
By Jan 10 we select you will pick our "selection commitee"
BY Mid January the Commitee will have the categories selected.
By the end of Januray Commitee will have each nomination for each category selected and the voting can begin.
Once the list of films is known, this will give people about a month to see all the films in question should they need to.
It can be up to the commitee to when to reveal the winners.

For the moment I think that perhaps using the post count for selecting the commitee may not be a great idea. Therefoer going forward I nominate the following for the commintee.
Pedro.
ed_metal_head
Trevor

This is an interesting idea - one that I'm not against.

Raise your hand if you've seen lots of films theatrically this year.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:42 pm
Pedro, I agree with those categories. Regular Oscar categories plus ensemble.

I disagree with awarding a special award to encourage competition. There's no need for competition if one film is exceptional--that just means it deserves to win. That's the whole point of giving out awards.

p604, I'm not sure I understand this committee thing. Is that to decide on the categories or the nominations or both? I think everyone who is to be involved in the actual voting should be involved in the nominating as well.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 pm
Trevor wrote:

I disagree with awarding a special award to encourage competition. There's no need for competition if one film is exceptional--that just means it deserves to win. That's the whole point of giving out awards.

p604, I'm not sure I understand this committee thing. Is that to decide on the categories or the nominations or both? I think everyone who is to be involved in the actual voting should be involved in the nominating as well.

x2

I like using all the Oscar categories too. Granted I end up researching Sound Editing and Sound Mixing every year, but forget the difference as soon as I read it.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:48 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Trevor wrote:

x2

I like using all the Oscar categories too. Granted I end up researching Sound Editing and Sound Mixing every year, but forget the difference as soon as I read it.

Sound Editing: The creation of sounds.
Sound Mixing: How sounds are mixed together.

I think. Sound Mixing is supposedly self-explanatory, so Sound Editing is the other one. XD I had to look it up, too.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 am
Trevor wrote:

I'm going to see if I can shine some light on this, and then make a few suggestions in light of recent events (or lack thereof).

I think what p604 is proposing is that the committee decides on the categories and nominees. It seems the general consensus of people on the theoretical committee and people outside of it is to do all twenty-one categories plus Best Ensemble. *pounds gavel*

Next order of business: what to do about nominating worthy people for the categories. p604 suggests a committee to decide on the nominees, composed of (at least) Ed, Trevor, and myself. I, however, want to include as many people as possible while still being reasonable, but as it stands there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming amount of interest in a "ReelViews Oscars" - and whether it's because it's in this very specific subforum that not everyone looks at or because no one cares is debatable. The whole idea of this is for the ReelViews community to have their say in handing out awards. However, how can the community have any say if not everyone knows about it?

I therefore propose the following: creating a new thread in the General Movie Discussion forum that encapsulates some of the suggestions, making an official set of rules. This would include:

1. Anyone can vote for nominees, so long as they post somewhat frequently. If you joined solely to post your opinion on Avatar, I don't think your vote should count. This set of awards is about the community of posters, not the community of readers.
2. People who do choose to vote need to suggest five nominees per category, ranked 1-5 with 1 being the theoretical winner.
3. You don't need to vote for every category, but I highly recommend it for the sake of consistency. If I'm the only person who does Sound Mixing, I'll be sad.
4. There are twenty-two categories: the twenty-one the Academy uses and the Best Ensemble award that SAG uses.
5. PM your votes to me, Pedro, to keep them all secretive and exciting and shit.

If the move still doesn't spur more interest in the ReelViews Oscars, then we'll have to do a committee. Or drop it altogether. I want to do this, though.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:06 am
I wouldn't want a thread about the Oscars that's going to be long and involved in General Movie Discussion.
But an announcement there, in the form of a stickied/locked post to raise awareness about the project would be a good idea.

We could also ask James if he's willing to have a post regarding this in the General/Announcements subforum that's the top item when you look at the forum index. I don't have access to that forum.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:44 pm
I know I'm late to this party, but my two cents is simply that for this to have any interest to anyone who hasn't already posted in this thread, virtually everyone needs to be allowed to vote -- for at least the winners, if not the nominees, but preferably both. Let's be honest: it's not like we're going to get an incredibly overwhelming number of voters, and that's not a bad thing in my mind. I just don't think limiting who can vote makes any sense. If Pedro is counting votes, I'm more than fine with giving him veto power to eliminate trollsters, but I don't think it's helpful to limit who can vote.

What would be interesting, since the voting is secret, is for people to predict winners (of "our" Oscars, not the "real" Oscars).

Again, just my two cents, holmes.

[[also, we gotta release the vote counts after the awards are given, yes?]]

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:24 pm
All good ideas. I agree that the nominations should come from the membership rather than a select group of people. I've seen less than 40 films for the year, so I'm certainly not qualified to vote on everything. I still will though :D

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:41 pm
Shade wrote:
I know I'm late to this party, but my two cents is simply that for this to have any interest to anyone who hasn't already posted in this thread, virtually everyone needs to be allowed to vote -- for at least the winners, if not the nominees, but preferably both. Let's be honest: it's not like we're going to get an incredibly overwhelming number of voters, and that's not a bad thing in my mind. I just don't think limiting who can vote makes any sense. If Pedro is counting votes, I'm more than fine with giving him veto power to eliminate trollsters, but I don't think it's helpful to limit who can vote.

What would be interesting, since the voting is secret, is for people to predict winners (of "our" Oscars, not the "real" Oscars).

Again, just my two cents, holmes.

[[also, we gotta release the vote counts after the awards are given, yes?]]

1. Yeah, I think it's coming to the point where we have to allow everyone to vote. I was sort of cool with that from the get go; I just wanted to discourage people who wouldn't take voting seriously. I'm cool with leaving it up to my discretion. I'm a big boy now. XD

2. There be an interesting thought. Maybe there should be competition points to people who can guess a certain number of them correctly. Obviously, no one's going to get all of them correctly - it's rare to do that with the largely predictable Oscars -so maybe Phil can organize some kind of system after the nominees comes out.

3. I'm cool with releasing the vote counts. I was thinking about starting a statistics thread.

Trevor wrote:
I wouldn't want a thread about the Oscars that's going to be long and involved in General Movie Discussion.
But an announcement there, in the form of a stickied/locked post to raise awareness about the project would be a good idea.

We could also ask James if he's willing to have a post regarding this in the General/Announcements subforum that's the top item when you look at the forum index. I don't have access to that forum.

Yeah, I was thinking about making the announcement official as soon as we decide on everything - which, I think we're almost there. It makes the most sense logistically to put it in the Announcements subforum, but I never look at that. I think it'd be best if it were in the General Movie Discussion forum - stickied and unlocked, though we can talk about that last part more if necessary.

ed_metal_head wrote:
I've seen less than 40 films for the year, so I'm certainly not qualified to vote on everything. I still will though :D

I encourage it! Academy voters vote based on the films they've seen.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:53 am
Pedro wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about making the announcement official as soon as we decide on everything - which, I think we're almost there. It makes the most sense logistically to put it in the Announcements subforum, but I never look at that. I think it'd be best if it were in the General Movie Discussion forum - stickied and unlocked, though we can talk about that last part more if necessary.

Since no-one had anything to add since your post I would say that we *are* there. I think it's time for said announcement with the categories and deadline dates for nominations etc. I also think a sticky in the General Forum would be best. When we're finished it could always be deleted.

Btw, do we need James to OK this?

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 pm
Any mod can sticky a topic and I'm sure James is cool with it.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:58 pm
I'll submit the official post for approval soon. Been busy lately.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'll submit the official post for approval soon. Been busy lately.

Take your time. I'm trying to fit in some of the potential Oscar nominees this month so that I'll actually see the movies I will vote for.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:46 pm
Where are we with this.
I assume that we have decided the number of categories.
If this is the case then now it is time to select the nominations.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 am
Thanks to Pedro for making the Reelviews Awards threads. I have a few quick comments/suggestions, but that thread is locked so I'm posting here.

Pedro wrote:
1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you post somewhat frequently or plan to.

I think everyone should be welcome, especially new posters. So, we have a nice little community here (emphasis on little) but some growth would be nice. I think this is a massive opportunity for some forum growth. Lurkers who've been on the fence about registering could do so to join in the fun. I'm sure a few would stay. It would be even better if James could help us publicize these awards a little. Perhaps at the end of his next Reelthoughts he could mention the thread with a link. Remember more forum activity should help him too since it should translate to more ad revenue. Perhaps a mod can PM him to ask?

Pedro wrote:
2. People who do choose to vote need to suggest five nominees per category, ranked 1-5 with 1 being the theoretical winner. This applies to all categories EXCEPT Best Picture, which should be ranked 1-10 with 1 being the theoretical winner.

Do we do 5 for all? The academy often has 3 nominees for things like Best Song and Visual Effects.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 pm
Or you could ask him ed, he'll listen to you

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44 pm
Patrick wrote:

I thought it would be more "official" if a mod asked, but I'd be glad to do it. Now I just have to wait on Pedro to see if he's cool with letting a bunch of new posters contribute.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:05 am
Modifications to my original post (a request to whatever moderator reads this):

"1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you post somewhat frequently or plan to."
CHANGES TO
"1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you're signed up on the board. Make sure your votes are for who YOU want to win. If you think Paranormal Activity's the best film of the year, then damn it vote that way!"

THROW IN ABOVE THE LINE ABOUT THE WHITE RIBBON'S RELEASE DATE
"Jane Campion's Bright Star is an adapted screenplay."

PUT NEXT TO BEST ORIGINAL SONG IN PARENTHESIS
"http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/oscar-original-song-shortlist-announced/"

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:28 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I thought it would be more "official" if a mod asked, but I'd be glad to do it. Now I just have to wait on Pedro to see if he's cool with letting a bunch of new posters contribute.

Done. Btw, is there any reason why the Award thread is locked? I would assume that people might have questions/comments to make.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next