Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:20 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Golden Globes 
Post Golden Globes
So, did anyone watch the Golden Globes last night?

Normally I don't, since I figure they're even less prestigious than the MTV Movie awards, but I'm a fan of Ricky Gervais so I tuned in and he did not disappoint.

His brilliant, but far too short opening monologue involved him putting down the US version of The Office and somehow moved into a discussion of masturbation and his penis size.

He called Jennifer Aniston "Rachel from Friends". An introduction which the actress did not appreciate. I love laughing at people who can't take a joke.

Mel Gibson on the other hand was surprisingly good natured when Gervais introduced him by saying: “I like a drink as much as the next man, unless the next man is . . . Mel Gibson!”. Gibson even played a long a bit, initially pretending to be drunk.

Paul McCartney got it too. Gervais said he caught him flying Economy class, but he understood since “He’s saving money...He spent a lot last year” to groans from the audience.

Finally, some awards were given out in the show too. These resulted in a ton of boring speeches with a few exceptions (most notably, Robert Downey Jr.)

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 am
Post Re: Golden Globes
I mostly facepalmed myself. Oh, the HFPA, you silly bastards.

I'm distraught by the wins of Robert Downey Jr., Sandra Bullock, James Cameron, and Avatar. Thankfully, the first two have no shot of winning an Oscar (even Bullock), but Cameron and his blue people do. Kathryn Bigelow 110% should win the Oscar and hopefully the DGA will swing in her direction. Picture's a tough call, though. However, Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air are pretty much out of the running now. They needed some Globes traction and didn't get it. Also, George Clooney just lost his Oscar.

I loved Gervais' hosting, btw.

All in all, the whole show was pretty bizarre, from Cher's completely glazed look to Drew Barrymore's sea urchin on her dress to Mo'Nique's heartfelt but very strangely started speech to Harrison Ford presenting whatever he presented as a depressed (read: drunk) sonofabitch.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:33 pm
Robert Downey Jr's speech was oscar-worthy. :)

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:06 pm
I love Ricky Gervais. That Mel Gibson quip was executed to perfection.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm
Even though I didn't think he should have won, Downey was easily the highlight for the night in my opinion. His speech was amazing. "First, I want to not thank my wife for telling me to not prepare a speech because Matt Damon is going to win". Most of the awards were a joke. The Hangover winning best comedy/musical over 500 Days of Summer was stupid, Avatar winning anything over The Hurt Locker was stupid, and Tarantino not getting a screenplay nod was stupid. I hope the Academy does better.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:52 pm
I had to look up the list of winners to see what Downey Jr. got the award for.

Sherlock Holmes?

Really?

Will this encourage Guy Ritchie to keep making movies?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]