Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
News 
Author Message
Post News
Removed - James can put in a comment in it's place


Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:15 am
Post Re: News
Removed - James can put in a comment in it's place


Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:21 am
Post Re: News
Hello james?


Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 am
Post Re: News
Robert Holloway wrote:
I'm thinking about introducing a new thread called

Getting started with Great Movies

I have been asked the same question many times - "Where should I start"

We all know that some movie sin the top 100 are easier than others and some are just plain hard.

My best approach is three lists

Introductory 1-25

Intermediate 26-50

Advanced 50-75

three sets of 25 movies to get people going

What do you think?

Next
step if you like the idea is to populate the lists and as far as i am
concerned - only regular contributors to this area can suggest titles

Rob


You've got my vote. Since less than 20 people contribute to the section as is it'd be nice to offer some sort of -- what? incentive? that's not the right word -- primer on the 'experience'. Anything. More comments would be welcome.


Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:10 am
Post Re: News
Robert Holloway wrote:
I'm thinking about introducing a new thread called

Getting started with Great Movies

I have been asked the same question many times - "Where should I start"

We all know that some movie sin the top 100 are easier than others and some are just plain hard.

My best approach is three lists

Introductory 1-25

Intermediate 26-50

Advanced 50-75

three sets of 25 movies to get people going

What do you think?

Next step if you like the idea is to populate the lists and as far as i am concerned - only regular contributors to this area can suggest titles

Rob


So what about the other 25?


Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:02 am
Post Re: News
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I'm thinking about introducing a new thread called

Getting started with Great Movies

I have been asked the same question many times - "Where should I start"

We all know that some movie sin the top 100 are easier than others and some are just plain hard.

My best approach is three lists

Introductory 1-25

Intermediate 26-50

Advanced 50-75

three sets of 25 movies to get people going

What do you think?

Next step if you like the idea is to populate the lists and as far as i am concerned - only regular contributors to this area can suggest titles

Rob


So what about the other 25?


Yeah, I guess we could split the entire top 100 into three groups.

Anyone willing to give it a go?

Rob


Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 am
Post Re: News
Myself, being a regular reader, but not a regular contributor would definitely welcome this list.

Yesterday I was going through the 100 basically randomly adding titles to my Netflix account...doesn't mean that I know what I'm watching first.


Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:08 am
Post Re: News
ram1312 wrote:
Myself, being a regular reader, but not a regular contributor would definitely welcome this list.

Yesterday I was going through the 100 basically randomly adding titles to my Netflix account...doesn't mean that I know what I'm watching first.



Hi there

We'll find a way to get this done. It may take a while. I get asked for this quite a bit so imagine it would be useful.

Thanks for the post
Rob


Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 pm
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: News
Hells yes, as if this forum wasn't interesting enough.


Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:01 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: News
Introductory:
Citizen Kane
Godfather
Singin' In The Rain
Casablanca
Rashomon
Some Like It Hot
City Lights
Gold Rush
Taxi Driver
Sunset Boulevard
Psycho
Chinatown
Doctor Strangelove
Four Hundred (400) Blows
It's A Wonderful Life
Blade Runner
Rear Window
Modern Times
North By Northwest
Strada, La
Apartment, The
Gone With The Wind
Wizard Of Oz, The
Rio Bravo
To Be Or Not To Be
All About Eve
Notorious
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The
Madame De
Bringing Up Baby
Stagecoach
Double Indemnity
Battle Of Algiers, The
Goodfellas
Sherlock Jr.
Bicycle Thief

Intermediate:
Searchers, The
Vertigo
Battleship Potemkin
Seven Samurai
Tokyo Story
Sunrise
Lawrence Of Arabia
Raging Bull
Godfather Part II
Touch Of Evil
Third Man, The
Grande Illusion
Dolce Vita, La
Enfants Du Paradis, Les
Night Of the Hunter
Jules Et Jim
Magnificent Ambersons
Wild Strawberries
M
Pather Panchali
Wild Bunch, The
Conformist, The
Leopard, The
Nashville
Metropolis
Once Upon A Time In The West
Fanny And Alexander
Ikiru
My Darling Clementine
Barry Lyndon
Clockwork Orange, A
Sansho The Bailiff

Advanced:
Rules Of The Game
2001
Eight And A Half
L'Atalante
Passion Of Joan Of Arc
Breathless
Ordet
Apocalypse Now
L'Avventura
Persona
Andrei Rublev
Intolerance
Seventh Seal
Ugetsu
Contempt
Au Hasard Balthazar
Greed
Viridiana
Pickpocket
Amarcord
Pierrot Le Fou
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Aguirre The Wrath Of God


Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: News
Oh wow, that was fast. How did you compile this? I think it would work best if you put movies that people are most likely to enjoy in the easy section, and then the crazy stuff like Persona should be in the advanced section.


Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:11 pm
Profile
Post Re: News
calvero wrote:
Introductory:
Citizen Kane
Godfather
Singin' In The Rain
Casablanca
Rashomon
Some Like It Hot
City Lights
Gold Rush
Taxi Driver
Sunset Boulevard
Psycho
Chinatown
Doctor Strangelove
Four Hundred (400) Blows
It's A Wonderful Life
Blade Runner
Rear Window
Modern Times
North By Northwest
Strada, La
Apartment, The
Gone With The Wind
Wizard Of Oz, The
Rio Bravo
To Be Or Not To Be
All About Eve
Notorious
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The
Madame De
Bringing Up Baby
Stagecoach
Double Indemnity
Battle Of Algiers, The
Goodfellas
Sherlock Jr.
Bicycle Thief

Intermediate:
Searchers, The
Vertigo
Battleship Potemkin
Seven Samurai
Tokyo Story
Sunrise
Lawrence Of Arabia
Raging Bull
Godfather Part II
Touch Of Evil
Third Man, The
Grande Illusion
Dolce Vita, La
Enfants Du Paradis, Les
Night Of the Hunter
Jules Et Jim
Magnificent Ambersons
Wild Strawberries
M
Pather Panchali
Wild Bunch, The
Conformist, The
Leopard, The
Nashville
Metropolis
Once Upon A Time In The West
Fanny And Alexander
Ikiru
My Darling Clementine
Barry Lyndon
Clockwork Orange, A
Sansho The Bailiff

Advanced:
Rules Of The Game
2001
Eight And A Half
L'Atalante
Passion Of Joan Of Arc
Breathless
Ordet
Apocalypse Now
L'Avventura
Persona
Andrei Rublev
Intolerance
Seventh Seal
Ugetsu
Contempt
Au Hasard Balthazar
Greed
Viridiana
Pickpocket
Amarcord
Pierrot Le Fou
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Aguirre The Wrath Of God



Wow, great job

It's amusing to see this through someone else's eyes. There are not too many I'd even slightly argue with there!

Unless anyone has strong objections, I'll create a new sticky thread with this list as the first post with an overall introduction and an invite for comments and questions.

Thanks!
Rob


Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 pm
Post Re: News
Way to go, great idea and thanks for implementing this!


Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:47 am
Post Re: News
Thanks to calvero for pointing out that the list has been updated. Here are some of the major changes to the top 1000 (taken straight from the TSPDT website):

Quote:
• Just one change to the top-10 (Donen & Kelly dislodge Ozu), and no change to the top 7.

• La Dolce vita is the only new entry into the top-25 (at the expense of Carol Reed's The Third Man). That makes (along with 8½) two films for Fellini in the top-25 (he joins Ford, Coppola, Kurosawa, and Welles on that number - elite company indeed).

• Ugetsu monogatari and Lang's M are the only two films that moved into the top 50 (at the expense of Modern Times and North by Northwest).

• In terms of the top 100, some sharp risers include Once Upon a Time in the West (up 11 spots), Jaws (up 17 spots, and into the top 100 for the first time - this may surprise some - it certainly surprised us), and On the Waterfront (back into the top 100, jumping from 104 to 94).

Directors with 2-plus new films in the 1,000 Greatest Films listing are Stan Brakhage (Mothlight and Dog Star Man), Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.), John Landis (National Lampoon's Animal House and The Blues Brothers), Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan and A.I. Artificial Intelligence), and Gus Van Sant (Elephant and My Own Private Idaho).

Directors with 2-plus films that dropped off the 1,000 Greatest Films listing are Bernardo Bertolucci (The Sheltering Sky and Luna), Frank Capra (Lost Horizon and Arsenic and Old Lace), Werner Herzog (Land of Silence and Darkness and Lessons of Darkness), Masaki Kobayashi (Harakiri and Kwaidan), Jerry Lewis (The Bellboy and The Ladies' Man), Joseph Losey (The Go-Between and Accident), Nikita Mikhalkov (Dark Eyes and Burnt by the Sun), and Kenji Mizoguchi (Utamaro and His Five Women and My Love Has Been Burning),



Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:18 pm
Post Re: News
It's nice to see La Dolce Vita and Once Upon a Time in the West move up, as they are two of my favorite films, and although it's difficult to measure, I have certainly noticed an increase in the prominence of these films in critical discussions over the last few years (I don't know exactly what the process of re-ranking the films involves, but in this case I think it reflects the conventional wisdom).


Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 pm
Post Re: News
Trevor wrote:
It's nice to see La Dolce Vita and Once Upon a Time in the West move up, as they are two of my favorite films, and although it's difficult to measure, I have certainly noticed an increase in the prominence of these films in critical discussions over the last few years (I don't know exactly what the process of re-ranking the films involves, but in this case I think it reflects the conventional wisdom).


In short, more lists. This is from the site:

Quote:
So what have we been up to since December 2008's edition? Well, to quote directly from last year's introduction, "we've spent another baffling year sifting (sometimes aimlessly) through film polls and best-of film ballots, collating them, weighting them and, hey presto, here are the goddamn results."

The most significant highlight of this update has probably been the inclusion in this year's calculations of many best-of-decade lists for 2000-2009. This has seen a sharp rise in films from the 21st Century entering the 1,000 Greatest Films listing, which I know for a fact, will please many 1,000 Greatest films followers.

Now, lets' talk statistics. The January 2010 list of the 1,000 Greatest Films of all-time has primarily been compiled by using 2,041 individual critics' and filmmakers' personal lists/ballots of their favourite/best films. That's 216 more ballots than our December 2008 list.


Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr