Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 am

February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums" 
Post Re: February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums"
etifupleez wrote:
James, this is an amazing idea, and I really like what I see so far on these forums...

I formerly posted at Rotten Tomatoes, but people are pretty rude and obnoxious there, so I am here now...

But it's still better than IMDB, right? Right?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:52 pm
Hi James. I just wanted to say hello and so far the forums are great. Intelligent discussion and varied opinion on a subject we all obviously love : MOVIES!!

I don't know if anyone else is the same way but I generally have a lurking attitude towards forums in general. I'll post occasionally and see how it evolves over a few months to see if it stays high quality (I have a feeling this one will) and then if I think it's sticking around then I might become a more regular poster (generally a few times a month, but more when I have specific things to say or questions). The reason for this is I have getting "vested" in something only to find out it no longer exists.

I generally have this same approach with TV shows and Multi book series....lol.

Sam

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:08 pm
A reader of the work of Berardinelli since 2002 and the forum is definitely a nice way to discuss film with other film fans.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm
It was always nice getting an email reply from James but it also created the worry that some really insightful nuggets of commentary were only going to people who asked the right questions. This solves that problem.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 am
The forums have exploded in the past few days. Not in a bad way, mind you. Everyone's been really civil and I'm glad to see the success. :]

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:38 am
Pedro wrote:
The forums have exploded in the past few days. Not in a bad way, mind you. Everyone's been really civil and I'm glad to see the success. :]

Hi Pedro,
Me too. And I think it will get even better!
Rob

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:40 am
Congratulations on the forum! As a reader of your reviews for more than 6 years, I'm pleased to see the revamp and the introduction of the forums. Looking forward to seeing some great things from the forums!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:58 am
Congratulations on getting the Forum spun up!

It looks good. Better still, it looks as if response is strong.

Best of luck with the Big Experiment.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:07 am
Pedro wrote:

Yeah it's crazy. Really exceeded my expectations.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 am
I've been a long-time fan of this movie review web site, and was hoping one day James would create an interactive message forum of some kind.

I never expected it, to be frank, b/c it takes ALOT of hours each day to work on and monitor-but nonetheless, great job, James!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 am
The forums are, without a doubt, the best thing that James has ever done with ReelViews.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:44 am
Patrick wrote:
etifupleez wrote:
James, this is an amazing idea, and I really like what I see so far on these forums...

I formerly posted at Rotten Tomatoes, but people are pretty rude and obnoxious there, so I am here now...

But it's still better than IMDB, right? Right?

Are theirs poo too?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 am
LordofthePing wrote:
From a hit count perspective (kidding on the 'hits' metric) I think it was a wise move to add the forums. Almost everything on the web his some sort of discussion element, YouTube, news articles, Facebook, online retailers, and so on. The community is a large attraction in itself and typically brings in more viewers and readers. I'm sure Reelviews fans are some of the best on the web.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Indeed - communities like this can build pretty quickly. 'Word of mouth' (if that's not a contradiction in web terms... :D ) on the internet can have an amazing effect. One example I know of (although not film or forum related) is a mix up on an online music store, where someone attributed an album called Dragonmere to keyboard veteran Rick Wakeman (the correct artist is Andy Stallman). Despite Rick's best efforts the word was round the web and you can still find the album listed against Rick, even today.

Quality forums attract people - and I'm sure this will turn out to be one of the best.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 am
This is very cool. This is usually the first site I look to for reviews.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 pm
Yet more thanks are in order. Thanks for the zillions of great reviews, and as someone who's dabbled enough in web design to have run screaming from it and gone back to my comfortable haven of system administration, thanks for the large amount of work I know has gone into all the site upgrades including this one!

Yes, I turned off Adblock for all of reelviews.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 pm
I've been reading your reviews for years, JB. Thanks for adding this forum area and hope it has a long life.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 pm
Hey James,

I've been a reelviews reader since about 2002 and I just want to say that I think the forums are a great idea. As a bonus the forums also seem to be working very well on my Blackberry. :D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm
I too am a long time reader/appreciator of the site who is excited about the interactivity. I hope it works out better than you anticipate, JB.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:04 pm
I've been reading your reviews for a couple years after discovering you through Rotten Tomatoes. I've found that our tastes and views coincide about 80% of the time which is helpful when deciding what to see and rent. When my wife and I discuss what movies to see, I'm sure she's tired of hearing, "Well, Reelviews gave it a...."

I think the forums are a great addition-- keep up the good work.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:16 pm
gavmbree wrote:
I've been reading your reviews for a couple years after discovering you through Rotten Tomatoes. I've found that our tastes and views coincide about 80% of the time which is helpful when deciding what to see and rent. When my wife and I discuss what movies to see, I'm sure she's tired of hearing, "Well, Reelviews gave it a...."

I think the forums are a great addition-- keep up the good work.

I'm a big fan of superhero movies, and on those, the opinions of James and myself don't often coincide. But if it's a non-superhero movie, I'll generally check his review to decide whether or not I'll bother with it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:49 pm