Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 pm

December 29, 2009: "Another Decade Bites the Dust" 
Post Re: December 29, 2009: "Another Decade Bites the Dust"
James Berardinelli wrote:
The decade was lacking in iconic performances. Some might cite Heath Ledger's Joker, but there was no Forrest Gump or Hannibal Lecter or Rod Tidwell. That's not to imply there were no great performances - simply that many of the winners were recognized for less flamboyant work.

FOR ME, Wil Farrell's performance in "Stranger Than Fiction", Clooney in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", Jason Lee in "Almost Famous" and Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation" are my personal iconic performances of this decade.

Its difficult to judge recent performances, but Christoph Waltz could eventually be looked upon as such.

I think you could make a case for Christian Bale in American Psycho, but that just might be more career defining than iconic.

Hence that may be an important distinction... iconic vs. career defining. Or maybe its the same thing.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:46 pm
I think Heath Ledger's joker is iconic, he's replaced scarface on all the gangsta t-shirts at wal-mart.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

"The decade was lacking in iconic performances. Some might cite Heath Ledger's Joker, but there was no Forrest Gump or Hannibal Lecter or Rod Tidwell."

When you say iconic, I suppose you have a point. In my opinion though, I think Charlize Theron in Monster was quite possibly the best performance ever on film.

Something else interesting to address are the pop cultural fads. The 90s were dominated by Budweiser's, "Wazzaaaap?" and lots of Austin Powers references.

No doubt this decade's biggest fad is Borat, which might be the number 1 most annoying fad. I wanted to punch people every time I heard, "Very nice!" "High 5" or whatever the fuck his character says.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm
Rod Tidwell? I had to Google the name (RealThoughts reference!). I don't think the character is remembered so much as his line.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:17 pm
I was a fan of JB 10 years ago when he put out his Best of/Worst of the 90s. I was in high school then. So I eagerly await the Top 10 this time around. Of course, the presence of the All-time Top 100 makes it pretty easy to guess most of the movies as well as which one winds up on top, but I'm still hugely intrigued.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 am
Ask anyone about Bardem and/or Daniel Day-Lewis, and you'll get a blank look even when you mention the movie title.

Even if you try "I DRRIIINK YOUR MILKSHAKE !!!" ? :mrgreen:

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:47 pm
Quote:
The decade was lacking in iconic performances.

Three words: Captain Jack Sparrow. Now if your talking about the Academy Award winning performances not being especially iconic than I would have to agree with you even though I think Heath Ledger's The Joker is shaping up to be considered the definitive portrayal of an already iconic character. I also think citing Rod Tidwell as iconic is a bit wrong-headed. The line "Show me the money!" has certainly become as much, but the character and Cuba Gooding Jr.'s performance? Not so much.

Quote:
...hand-drawn was king in the early '90s, now referred to as "Disney's Second Golden Age"...

I have NEVER heard that period of Disney history referred to as "Disney's Second Golden Age." I think it's more commonly called the Disney Renaissance.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:15 am
Site Admin

ABC wrote:
Quote:
The decade was lacking in iconic performances.

Three words: Captain Jack Sparrow. Now if your talking about the Academy Award winning performances not being especially iconic than I would have to agree with you even though I think Heath Ledger's The Joker is shaping up to be considered the definitive portrayal of an already iconic character.

I stand corrected. I would agree that Jack Sparrow is an iconic character.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Could Harry Potter possibly be an iconic character (in regards to the movies I mean)? I mean that franchise is like 6 or 7 movies in and is still profitable and successful. I know he's not on the same level as Jack Sparrow or The Joker, but there must be some appeal to Harry given what I've said.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:47 pm
oafolay wrote:
I can't wait for the top ten films of the decade (and top ten acting performances as well). I fully expect to see Sean Penn, Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren on that list amongst others. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Won't be doing a write-up on top performances. The Top 10 films will be available either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

How about a write-up on actor/actress of the decade? IFC named Matt Damon and Nicole Kidman as actors, and Soderbergh as director of the decade. I'd like to know your take on this.

I can agree with Damon and Soderbergh, but i'd go with Charlize Theron as the actress of the decade

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:17 pm
I stand corrected. I would agree that Jack Sparrow is an iconic character.

Interesting. Those movies were fun and all, but when someone says Johnny Depp, those are probably the last movies I think about. Edward Sissorhands and Blow come to mind much faster.

Maybe iconic is just a term for gross popularity then, as opposed to anything special about a performance.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:49 pm
Today I was watching The Lord of the Rings and wondering if Smeagol/Gollum was an iconic character. Admittedly, I need to read up on what makes a character iconic. (In fact, I will do that now. The definition is probably inherently fluid.)

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 am
Site Admin

Jaimie wrote:
Today I was watching The Lord of the Rings and wondering if Smeagol/Gollum was an iconic character. Admittedly, I need to read up on what makes a character iconic. (In fact, I will do that now. The definition is probably inherently fluid.)

Gandalf is probably iconic, but I don't think I would consider Gollum to be so. In order for McKellan's Gandalf to be considered iconic, his performance would have to be definitive - in other words, you can't imagine anyone replacing him. And, while I think McKellan was very good, I don't think his interpretation was irreplaceable. I could see another actor filling the role, much as Michael Gambon was able to take over for Richard Harris in the Harry Potter movies.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 am
Profile WWW
to be considered iconic, his performance would have to be definitive - in other words, you can't imagine anyone replacing him.

So thats the definition we are going to go with? OK, let me recalibrate :)

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Jaimie wrote:

Gandalf is probably iconic, but I don't think I would consider Gollum to be so. In order for McKellan's Gandalf to be considered iconic, his performance would have to be definitive - in other words, you can't imagine anyone replacing him. And, while I think McKellan was very good, I don't think his interpretation was irreplaceable. I could see another actor filling the role, much as Michael Gambon was able to take over for Richard Harris in the Harry Potter movies.

That being said, you have to admit that it would be difficult now to imagine anyone else playing Gollum other than Andy Serkis. He owned that character possibly more than anyone else in the Trilogy, not just in voice, but also in the motion capture of his body movements. The word "precious" has a totally different connotation now and is a bit of a pop culture reference because of that performance.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:53 pm
Jaimie wrote:

I think you may have interchanged names there, based on what you said in the remainder of your post.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 pm
to be considered iconic, his performance would have to be definitive - in other words, you can't imagine anyone replacing him.

in the case of jack sparrow, i cant imagine anyone other than johnny depp in that role. but the character's appearance and mannerisms are reminiscent of, most notably Keith Richards, and other characters depp's played before (ichabod crane?). so i guess for the performance to be iconic, the portrayal must be something that's never been done before. and we have all seen shades of sparrow in other characters played by depp, and probably will continue to see.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:22 am
Site Admin

ShrunkenHead wrote:
Jaimie wrote:

I think you may have interchanged names there, based on what you said in the remainder of your post.

The character of Gandalf is iconic. It's debatable whether McKellan's performance falls into the same category.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the impact of 9/11 on film trends (apart from the mention of disaster films), especially after discussing the two wars and traveling in your intro. There have been many films on 9/11 (United 93, World Trade Center), terrorism (Rendition, Body of Lies) and the 2 wars (Hurt Locker, The Kingdom).

Last edited by filmfest on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:57 pm
Director

ABC wrote:
Quote:
...hand-drawn was king in the early '90s, now referred to as "Disney's Second Golden Age"...

I have NEVER heard that period of Disney history referred to as "Disney's Second Golden Age." I think it's more commonly called the Disney Renaissance.

Either way, it was an awfully short renaissance/golden age. :|

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:31 am