Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
December 27, 2009: "The Top 10 of 2009" 
Site Admin

Post Re: December 27, 2009: "The Top 10 of 2009"
kaspianwithak wrote:
Still feel the same about Star Trek?

Pretty much - a solid 3-star movie. For me, it didn't hold up quite as well on a second and third viewing. Still entertaining, though, but I never saw this as an end-of-the-year Top 10 (although I think it was near the bottom of my mid-year list).

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Personally I really liked The Messenger and hope that gets some loving from the academy. Also I'd be really happy to see a genre film take out the best picture this year. If you thought Avatar was generic just wait till you see The Blind Side ! Though having said that Sandra Bullock does look pretty stunning as a blonde milf 8-)

I do hope that District 9 at the very least gets a nomination though like the Dark Knight it's probably not going to happen. It wouldn't be the end of the world if IG or 500 Days of Summer took it out but I'd shoot myself if either Invictus or The Blind Side ended up winning. Also just re-watched Star Trek on Blueray yesterday and I still think it's an amazing movie though I must confess I have never seen the previous entries in neither TV or film format. Afterwards I watched Sherlock Holmes in the theater and couldn't help but notice how blurry and grainy the picture quality was when compared to Star Trek on Blueray. Why can't they get Blueray quality footage into the cinemas?

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:27 pm
I like the list, but would have District 9 higher (Brilliant movie), IB lower and wouldn't include 500 Day of Summer (good, but not that good).

Have no problems with Avatar at one, well deserved.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:47 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I actually think Basterds is the semi-frontrunner for Best Pic, along with Up in the Air and perhaps Avatar. I just feel like the Academy is ready to honor Tarantino this year.

You may be right in that IB will make the cut. But the current front-runner is THE HURT LOCKER, with UP IN THE AIR a little behind. I'd bet a whole lot of money that IB will not win the Oscar.

I highly doubt it will win, but according to those who track the buzz, it will definitely be nominated.

The consensus seems to be that Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, and Avatar are the three front-runners (although I don't see much of a chance of Avatar winning either). I imagine if Avatar becomes more of a box office phenomenon than it already is in the next few weeks that may strengthen its case (although the film's quality should be the only thing that matters).

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:48 am
Battle Pancake wrote:
I find the lack of Up disturbing.

The little boy was FAR too annoying for this movie to be on any top 10 list. Its a good movie, with a wonderful but overly-praised beginning, but it is not one of Pixar's top 5.

Last edited by MrGuinness on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:32 am
Post Re: Decenber 27, 2009: "The Top 10 of 2009"
wisey wrote:
You have given a talk on A Serious Man. Can you give any more information, like who the audience was? Is there a link?

It was off-line and, to the best of my knowledge, not recorded.

Why do you not let us local fans know about this stuff before you do it?

How's the pregnancy going btw as well??

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 am

Last edited by MrGuinness on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:36 am
Patrick wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I think Up could be considered the weakest Pixar movie yet. It didn't even engage me as much as Cars.

Agree with the latter statement, but The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Finding Nemo was stuff I liked less than Up.

Patrick, are you insane? Are you actually dissing The Incredibles here?

And why is everyone so down on Cars? I really quite enjoyed that one.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:40 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Patrick wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I think Up could be considered the weakest Pixar movie yet. It didn't even engage me as much as Cars.

Agree with the latter statement, but The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Finding Nemo was stuff I liked less than Up.

Patrick, are you insane? Are you actually dissing The Incredibles here?

And why is everyone so down on Cars? I really quite enjoyed that one.

I'm not dissing The Incredibles or even Finding Nemo, I just liked Up better.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:48 am
Site Admin

MrGuinness wrote:
wisey wrote:
You have given a talk on A Serious Man. Can you give any more information, like who the audience was? Is there a link?

It was off-line and, to the best of my knowledge, not recorded.

Why do you not let us local fans know about this stuff before you do it?

How's the pregnancy going btw as well??

It was a closed group of about 40 people, by invitation only. Next time I do Talk Cinema, which is open to everyone, I'll post something to that effect. (My last Talk Cinema got snowed out - it was supposed to be in Bryn Mawr on December 20. Presumably, when the snow date is scheduled, I'll be asked to give the talk for that one.)

The pregnancy is going fine. The due date is in May.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 am
Profile WWW
It was a closed group of about 40 people, by invitation only.

So invite me! :) Sheesh, a local talk about a Coen Bros movie (jewish related as well) with a fave reviewer of mine. That's worth an hour or two in the car.

I'll wait til May to say Mazel Tov :)

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:50 pm
Generally I enjoy Berardinelli's stuff and I've been reading for years, but seriously man, what's the deal with not seeking out some less commercial films? Is it a question of time/availability/money? Naturally you can't see everything, but for a professional movie critic, there are some especially big blind spots this year

The White Ribbon
35 Shots of Rum
Julia
Humpday
The Headless Woman
Revanche
Lorna's Silence
Police, Adjective
The Sun
Tetro
You, The Living
Tokyo Sonata
The Maid
A Prophet
Fish Tank

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:12 pm
Producer

The pregnancy is going fine. The due date is in May.

I look forward to more reviews of children's films.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 am
Producer

My number one of the year was Goodbye Solo, but Up in the Air is neck and neck with it, and Adventureland and Inglourious Basterds are in my top 10. So is Sita Sings the Blues, but I'm not even sure what year to count that because of its odd distribution. I still am awaiting several films on James' list.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:45 am
Kyle wrote:
Generally I enjoy Berardinelli's stuff and I've been reading for years, but seriously man, what's the deal with not seeking out some less commercial films? Is it a question of time/availability/money? Naturally you can't see everything, but for a professional movie critic, there are some especially big blind spots this year

The White Ribbon
35 Shots of Rum
Julia
Humpday
The Headless Woman
Revanche
Lorna's Silence
Police, Adjective
The Sun
Tetro
You, The Living
Tokyo Sonata
The Maid
A Prophet
Fish Tank

I second this, though in a more agreeable tone. ;)

However, I do think James will review at least one or two of those next year (please let it be The White Ribbon). There have been a few cases where the Foreign Language nominees don't expand until after the Oscars.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:17 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
However, I do think James will review at least one or two of those next year (please let it be The White Ribbon). There have been a few cases where the Foreign Language nominees don't expand until after the Oscars.

I have every intention of reviewing THE WHITE RIBBON - when I have a chance to see it.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Avatar should not be number 1. It is a cliche', shallow movie. People only like it because of the special effects.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 pm
Director

Film_Justin wrote:
Avatar should not be number 1. It is a cliche', shallow movie. People only like it because of the special effects.

Speak the truth, brother. CGI should not be the only thing to focus with this film. I still don't understand the main appeal with this film.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:30 pm
Profile YIM
Hey James, did you ever get around to seeing The Messenger?

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 pm
Hey guys

I have some sympathy for James here. It's tough trying to see everything. I consider I'm at the extreme end of that obsession and I'm still missing:

This is after already watching 233 films commercially released in 2009

Still Walking
Summer Hours
Ponyo
Crazy Heart
White Ribbon
Zombieland
Princess and the Frog
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Serious Man
The Road
Invictus
Broken Embraces
Where the Wild Things Are
and more...

Rob

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next