It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 am

December 29, 2009: "Another Decade Bites the Dust" 
Site Admin

Post December 29, 2009: "Another Decade Bites the Dust"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: December 29, 2009: "Another Decade Bites the Dust"
Nice commentary but to me, worst film of the decade is easily Dirty Love.....so many tears and you wish I was kidding.

Freddy Got Fingered to me is a normal bad movie that doesn't even come close to the epic badness that's been talked about.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 pm
Some thoughts on James' latest:

- The translation of fantasy to the big screen- at least to me- depends greatly on the material being adapted. I feel that The Golden Compass and its related series of books just wasn't as well-known as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There just weren't enough people who were aware of the series for it to make a large impact in the box office, IMO.

- I think that it's better for George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series to be adapted to television for the reason as for The Golden Compass. I also feel that the material just doesn't lend itself to being adapted into a film or even a series of films because of its scope. Another example of a series that just wouldn't be practical to attempt to film for the big screen would be Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books.

- I agree completely with the choice of Freddy Got Fingered for "Worst Film of the Decade". Hell, I'd nominate it as one of the worst films ever made in the history of cinema.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 pm
More interesting than the absolute worst movie of the decade would be the biggest disappointment, in my opinion. Seems like a toss-up between Indiana Jones 4 and Spider-Man 3 (and perhaps Quantum of Solace). My vote would go to Spidey-3.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:14 pm
I can't wait for the top ten films of the decade (and top ten acting performances as well). I fully expect to see Sean Penn, Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren on that list amongst others. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:31 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
More interesting than the absolute worst movie of the decade would be the biggest disappointment, in my opinion. Seems like a toss-up between Indiana Jones 4 and Spider-Man 3 (and perhaps Quantum of Solace). My vote would go to Spidey-3.

Spidy- 3, FTW (or FTL).

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Spidy- 3, FTW (or FTL).

Count me in for a vote for Spiderman 3 as the biggest disappointment of the decade. After that film, I vowed to never again look at a 3rd installment in a superhero film franchise as anything resembling a "sure thing".

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:23 pm
To me, the biggest decade out of those three choices is Quantum of Solace which was a total crapfest. I actually liked Indy 4 and Spider-Man 3 even if they were heavily flawed.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:43 pm
I could make a case for the Matrix sequels being the most disappointing of the decade.

Though it's more disappointment that they were made in the first place.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm
I can't believe James decided to watch some of "Freddy Got Fingered" again. He really must be a masochist. lol.

I still can't believe that movie got made. The budget for that film could have been used to find a cure for cancer or something.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:59 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

"Freddy Got Fingered"... Yep. That's by far the worst piece of crap I've seen this decade. It's the only movie I've seen this decade that I would definitely, without a second thought, give zero stars to (although I'm sure if I thought hard enough I could find at least a couple more worthy of that distinction).

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Also, James,

I completely agree with you about The Departed. I think it's far superior to anything else Scorsese has done this decade (I include his documentaries, which perhaps I shouldn't, but I simply think The Departed is his most complete work of the decade), and it's certainly his best film since Goodfellas. I could never understand the criticism of Scorsese winning for Departed. If not The Departed, then what? He lost for Raging Bull and Goodfellas, and he wasn't even nominated for Taxi Driver. I can think of no other Scorsese films that I would put in the same league. ...So, enough of my rambling praise. The short answer is just that I agree with you. :)

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 am
Profile WWW
ChronoSpark wrote:
Also, James,

I completely agree with you about The Departed. I think it's far superior to anything else Scorsese has done this decade (I include his documentaries, which perhaps I shouldn't, but I simply think The Departed is his most complete work of the decade), and it's certainly his best film since Goodfellas. I could never understand the criticism of Scorsese winning for Departed. If not The Departed, then what? He lost for Raging Bull and Goodfellas, and he wasn't even nominated for Taxi Driver. I can think of no other Scorsese films that I would put in the same league. ...So, enough of my rambling praise. The short answer is just that I agree with you. :)

YES!!

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 am
Quote:
The decade was lacking in iconic performances. Some might cite Heath Ledger's Joker, but there was no Forrest Gump or Hannibal Lecter or Rod Tidwell. That's not to imply there were no great performances - simply that many of the winners were recognized for less flamboyant work.

On top of my head: Javier Bardem in "No country for old men", and Daniel Day-Lewis in "There will be blood". Can't see how you could miss this.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:52 am
Quote:
We are involved in two wars that might not have happened had it not been for 9/11.

Don't you be so sure about this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:47 am
Site Admin

oafolay wrote:
I can't wait for the top ten films of the decade (and top ten acting performances as well). I fully expect to see Sean Penn, Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren on that list amongst others. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Won't be doing a write-up on top performances. The Top 10 films will be available either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

JKJ wrote:
Quote:
The decade was lacking in iconic performances. Some might cite Heath Ledger's Joker, but there was no Forrest Gump or Hannibal Lecter or Rod Tidwell. That's not to imply there were no great performances - simply that many of the winners were recognized for less flamboyant work.

On top of my head: Javier Bardem in "No country for old men", and Daniel Day-Lewis in "There will be blood". Can't see how you could miss this.

Good performances, yes. Iconic, no. Ask anyone who only sees a handful of movies about Hannibal Lecter or Forrest Gump, and they'll know who you're talking about. They won't have a clue who Rod Tidwell is until you say "Show me the money!"

Ask anyone about Bardem and/or Daniel Day-Lewis, and you'll get a blank look even when you mention the movie title.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

MrGuinness wrote:
Quote:
We are involved in two wars that might not have happened had it not been for 9/11.

Don't you be so sure about this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Without getting too deep into politics and conspiracy theories, I think the Iran thing was inevitable. 9/11 became an excuse. It was going to happen for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was Bush's desire to finish a job that his father left undone. I don't think Afghanistan would have happened without 9/11, despite what some conspiracy theorists believe.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 am
Profile WWW
The 2000's are the decade where the terrorists won. The loss of life was horrific, but the terrorists have gotten *our* governments to take away *our* freedom. 1984 ain't far off anymore.

One idiot tries to light something and is stopped. What happens? More security checks. You can't leave your seat in the hour before landing. Soon we'll all be cuffed to our chairs. These guys are getting exactly what they want.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:18 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
It was going to happen for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was Bush's desire to finish a job that his father left undone.

That, plus Michael Moore's Carlyle Group connection.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:26 pm