Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Directors who peaked creatively with their first film 
Post Re: Directors who peaked creatively with their first film
In all fairness, I don't remember much specific stuff about The Rock, but I do remember liking it. I was just giving Bay a jab since i'm assuming most people wouldn't have mentioned him in a thread like this.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:10 pm
Vexer wrote:
The Coens-Blood Simple, I just REALLY don't get the big deal about these guys.

I would put No Country For Old Men and maybe Miller's Crossing up there as well. I do agree that Fargo, while solidly made, may be one of the most overrated films ever.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 pm
Critic

I'll throw out Neil LaBute, whose In the Company of Men was a four-star film but hasn't come that close since, and Jason Reitman, who has made three very enjoyable films but none as good as Thank You for Smoking

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:30 pm
How have we gone two pages without mentioning one of the greatest directors of all time Orson Welles? Citizen Kane is an absolute masterpiece that he could never hope to replicate. That he came incredible close (Touch of Evil) and directed several other great films is astounding.

JamesKunz wrote:
I'll throw out Neil LaBute, whose In the Company of Men was a four-star film but hasn't come that close since

Excellent choice.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:33 pm
Colin wrote:
According to IMDB the first "thing" he directed was "Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall"

the director is...Michael Bay.

Never seen it but i'll assume that was his best work ever...lots of explosions and stuff...ya know...the usual.

I'm quite fond of Bay's Got Milk Ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSsswr6z9Y

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
How have we gone two pages without mentioning one of the greatest directors of all time Orson Welles? Citizen Kane is an absolute masterpiece that he could never hope to replicate. That he came incredible close (Touch of Evil) and directed several other great films is astounding.

Considering Hollywood basically castrated him after that film, I hardly think it's a fair assessment. Personally, "The Trial" is probably my favorite film of his.

JamesKunz wrote:
I'll throw out Neil LaBute, whose In the Company of Men was a four-star film but hasn't come that close since

Excellent choice.[/quote]

I quite like "Your Friends and Neighbors" and "Nurse Betty" -- it was after these two that he went downhill for me.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:15 pm
Vexer wrote:
Well you know i'm a big Bay fan, though I have to admit, even I couldn't muster up much enthusiam for P{earl harbor, I believe that directors should never try and direct historical epics(I didn't like Roland Emmerich's The Patriot much either) as it just feels really akward, I remember my high school class had to watch that film, and I could barely stay awake for most of the film, can't say I liked Armageddon much either. But since Bay's supposedly doing a "small" film next, that'll certainly be interesting to see.

I think we've been over this, Bay's going on to do Transformers 3 next and I doubt it'll be smaller.

And if directors shouldn't direct historical epics, who should? The actors? Or did you just mean action directors...which I'm sure you meant.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:52 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well you know i'm a big Bay fan, though I have to admit, even I couldn't muster up much enthusiam for P{earl harbor, I believe that directors should never try and direct historical epics(I didn't like Roland Emmerich's The Patriot much either) as it just feels really akward, I remember my high school class had to watch that film, and I could barely stay awake for most of the film, can't say I liked Armageddon much either. But since Bay's supposedly doing a "small" film next, that'll certainly be interesting to see.

I think we've been over this, Bay's going on to do Transformers 3 next and I doubt it'll be smaller.

And if directors shouldn't direct historical epics, who should? The actors? Or did you just mean action directors...which I'm sure you meant.
Yes I did mean action directors(though I also hope Mel Gibson dosen't direct any more epic films either)they're just simply not cut out for doing "serious" films, and also Bay himself said he was doing a "small" film, he said it was going to be called I Am Number Fourand that film IS listed on IMDB as being currently developed, and since it's a smaller film, it could very well come out before Transformers 3.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:44 pm
I just checked his IMDB page and I Am Number Four is only listed on IMDBPro. It's not listed under his director area...then again, neither is Transformers 3. I Am Number Four isn't on his wiki page either but Transformers 3 is.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:49 pm
corpen11 wrote:
Zedferret wrote:
Sam Mendes - American Beauty
Guy Ritchie - Lock, Stock...

Sam Mendes other two film were very good to great.

Yeh they were...but American Beauty is his best. So...so far he has peaked with his first movie...

Has anyone mentioned Frank Darabont? Shawshank Redemption anyone?

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:52 pm
Critic

Wow good call with Darabont. Too bad Christopher Nolan made Following as his first film and David Fincher made Alien 3 as his first, since they both peaked with their sophomore features of Memento and Se7en, respectively.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 am
oafolay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
The Coens-Blood Simple, I just REALLY don't get the big deal about these guys.

I would put No Country For Old Men and maybe Miller's Crossing up there as well. I do agree that Fargo, while solidly made, may be one of the most overrated films ever.

No country for old men was an absolute masterpiece. I didn't think Miller's Crossing was that good and I felt the same way with Fargo. I went in with high expectations but was disappointed. The Big Lebowski and The Hudsucker Proxy were both great films. I am sad to say I have yet to see Blood Simple.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:30 am
Director

Personally, I think "The Green Mile" is just as good as, if not better than, "Shawshank." My love for "Shawshank" honestly went down quite a bit when I saw "Escape from Alcatraz" and saw how much the story cribbed from that movie (the loner hero, the black friend, the guys who try to rape the hero, the old guy who kills himself, the hardass warden, etc.).

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 am
Critic

Well by that logic The Green Mile cribs from the bible... :D

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 am
Aronoksky: Creatively, there is nowhere to go but down from 'Pi'. Given that 'Requiem For A Dream' was a near-opus of invention (excepting its stiflingly unoriginal plot line and its underwhelming brand of black humor), I still think Dareen's debut has the true mark of a cinematic maverick and represents his most wholly original work.

Kevin Smith: 'Clerks' exceeded 'Stranger Than Paradise' for deadpan hilarity. That is difficult to top. 'Chasing Amy' doesn't come close to this film's unified tone or inescapably genuine 'indie' feel, and overall I feel 'Clerks' illicited a stronger emotional response from me. Sometimes increased sophistication represents a distance from the filmmaker and the audience. I've felt that dry vibe from every single Smith effort since his debut.

Steven Spielberg: Because, try as he might, and as many films of his I have enjoyed, 'Duel' hints at different, darker directions for the virtuoso filmmaker to have turned. That he grew into one of film's enduring philanthropists is reason for lament while watching this darkly humorous, nail-biting masterstroke.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:46 pm
Critic

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Steven Spielberg: Because, try as he might, and as many films of his I have enjoyed, 'Duel' hints at different, darker directions for the virtuoso filmmaker to have turned. That he grew into one of film's enduring philanthropists is reason for lament while watching this darkly humorous, nail-biting masterstroke.

Not to be a dick, but I have a feeling that anyone who posits that Duel is Spielberg's best film is simply trying to start an argument or prove how eclectic and iconoclastic their tastes are. What's next, The Pleasure Garden as Hitchcock's most accomplished film?

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:57 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Not to be a dick, but I have a feeling that anyone who posits that Duel is Spielberg's best film is simply trying to start an argument or prove how eclectic and iconoclastic their tastes are. What's next, The Pleasure Garden as Hitchcock's most accomplished film?

I'm not going to say 'Duel' is Steven Spielberg's best film. But if he had mined the rich, dark (some have said Kafka-esque) territory of that film for future projects, then he might have had one of the most truly ferocious and singularly harrowing canons of film from 72' on.

I don't consider creativity to be at one with execution (I think 'Clerks' is both Kevin Smith's most successful and fully realized concept), and thus I feel 'Duel' marked a delicious path that Spielberg never chose to follow, perhaps to film's detriment (obviously there is no way to prove this). It is, however, his most relentless motion picture; he simply did not display the form of a major director quite yet.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:29 pm
I'm not a huge Rob Reiner fan, so I think he never topped This is Spinal Tap.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:33 pm
Critic

Evenflow8112 wrote:
I don't consider creativity to be at one with execution (I think 'Clerks' is both Kevin Smith's most successful and fully realized concept), and thus I feel 'Duel' marked a delicious path that Spielberg never chose to follow, perhaps to film's detriment (obviously there is no way to prove this). It is, however, his most relentless motion picture; he simply did not display the form of a major director quite yet.

Did you see Jaws? It's basically the same concept as Duel, but the shark replaces the truck and the direction/action are much more assured.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'm not a huge Rob Reiner fan, so I think he never topped This is Spinal Tap.

Good call, but I think the Princess Bride is up there.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:25 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next