Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Directors who peaked creatively with their first film 
Post Directors who peaked creatively with their first film
Jan De Bont with Speed.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:11 am
Post Re: Directors who peaked creatively with their first film
Mike Judge with Office Space (I'm cheating a bit by disregarding the Beavis and Butthead feature).

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:16 am
Sam Mendes - American Beauty
Guy Ritchie - Lock, Stock...

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:06 am
Director

Zedferret wrote:

Sam Mendes other two film were very good to great.

M. Night Shamaylan: The Sixth Sense
The woman who directed Girlfight (2000)

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:58 am
Profile YIM
Fernando Meirelles with City of God?

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 am
John Singleton - Boyz N the Hood

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:04 pm
rblount27 wrote:

Good call!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that guy. Although to be fair, he did come close to approaching that level again with 1997's Rosewood. And I found some of his other films to be solidly entertaining (especially the underrated Four Brothers and the Shaft remake). Higher Learning was hilariously over-the-top though.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:10 pm
Director

corpen11 wrote:
Zedferret wrote:

Sam Mendes other two film were very good to great.

He's actually made 5 films now: "American Beauty," "Road to Perdition," and "Revolutionary Road" all being VERY good and "Jarhead" and "Away We Go" being merely good.

Quote:
M. Night Shamaylan: The Sixth Sense

This was actually his SECOND film (1998's "Wide Awake" being the first), but, yeah, he's been trying in vain to replicate this one's success since then (he came close with "Unbreakable," though).

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:51 pm
Director

oafolay wrote:
rblount27 wrote:

Good call!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that guy. Although to be fair, he did come close to approaching that level again with 1997's Rosewood. And I found some of his other films to be solidly entertaining (especially the underrated Four Brothers and the Shaft remake). Higher Learning was hilariously over-the-top though.

:lol: I 100% agree with you on Higher Learning. It's not a bad film, but it's set up is executed a bit lame.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile YIM
H.I. McDonough wrote:

This was actually his SECOND film (1998's "Wide Awake" being the first), but, yeah, he's been trying in vain to replicate this one's success since then (he came close with "Unbreakable," though).

Sixth Sense was his 3rd film, Praying for Anger was his first....and I thought Signs and Unbreakable were better than Sixth Sense.

And I want to say Kevin Smith with Clerks but Dogma came rrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyy close to Clerks level.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 pm
Patrick wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Sixth Sense was his 3rd film, Praying for Anger was his first....and I thought Signs and Unbreakable were better than Sixth Sense.

And I want to say Kevin Smith with Clerks but Dogma came rrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyy close to Clerks level.

I found Chasing Amy to be superior. In terms of Smith's filmography, Clerks comes a close second to that. I would have placed Dogma up there as well but I watched it again recently and it didn't hold up nearly as well as before. I'm almost tempted to say that I like Mallrats better.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:54 pm
Chasing Amy is pretty good and I consider Smiths' 3rd best but if Chasing Amy is a 9/10, then Dogma is a 9.8/10 and Clerks is a 10/10.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:59 pm
Producer

Charles Laughton. ;)

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:22 am
Director

Domanic Shea: Kalifornia

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 am
Profile YIM
Director

rblount27 wrote:

That's the one. I couldn't think of his name or anything else he directed.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:25 am
The Coens-Blood Simple, I just REALLY don't get the big deal about these guys.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:42 am
Syd Henderson wrote:
Charles Laughton. ;)

Doesn't count since he only did one film....but what a film

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 am
According to IMDB the first "thing" he directed was "Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall"

the director is...Michael Bay.

Never seen it but i'll assume that was his best work ever...lots of explosions and stuff...ya know...the usual.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 am
Colin wrote:
According to IMDB the first "thing" he directed was "Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall"

Never seen it but i'll assume that was his best work ever...lots of explosions and stuff...ya know...the usual.

I'm gonna pull a Vexer here but I kinda liked his first two films and might even go so far as to say that they are *gasp* underrated. The first Bad Boys was much more tightly paced and better-focused than its unwieldy, bloated sequel; it had better humor and more energetic action sequences. It would marginally qualify as a guilty pleasure for me. His second film The Rock was actually a pretty solid (no pun intended here) action film. The rest of his filmography is instantly forgettable with the low points being the aforementioned Bad Boys sequel and his hilarious attempt at serious filmmaking Pearl Harbor.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 pm
oafolay wrote:
Colin wrote:

I'm gonna pull a Vexer here but I kinda liked his first two films and might even go so far as to say that they are *gasp* underrated. The first Bad Boys was much more tightly paced and better-focused than its unwieldy, bloated sequel; it had better humor and more energetic action sequences. It would marginally qualify as a guilty pleasure for me. His second film The Rock was actually a pretty solid (no pun intended here) action film. The rest of his filmography is instantly forgettable with the low points being the aforementioned Bad Boys sequel and his hilarious attempt at serious filmmaking Pearl Harbor.
Well you know i'm a big Bay fan, though I have to admit, even I couldn't muster up much enthusiam for P{earl harbor, I believe that directors should never try and direct historical epics(I didn't like Roland Emmerich's The Patriot much either) as it just feels really akward, I remember my high school class had to watch that film, and I could barely stay awake for most of the film, can't say I liked Armageddon much either. But since Bay's supposedly doing a "small" film next, that'll certainly be interesting to see.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:54 pm