It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 am

December 24, 2009: "A Dozen Top Performances of 2009" 
Site Admin

Post December 24, 2009: "A Dozen Top Performances of 2009"
Click here to read topic.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: December 24, 2009: "A Dozen Top Performances of 2009"
Hi James and everyone, long time reader, first time poster here.

I like this list that you have here of your top performers. I, too, agree that Waltz simply had the best performance of any actor this year. His portrayal of Col. Landa was both hilarious and terrifying all at once.

For your consideration, what did you think about Sharlto Copley in "District 9?" Even though his name is unrecognizable to anyone, he did a terrific job as well. To see his transformation from treating the 'prawns' as garbage and then siding with them at the end was something to behold.

Just my two cents.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:43 pm
I would have liked to have seen Sam Rockwell make the list. He's always been an underrated actor and he carried Moon all by himself. My favorite performance in 2009.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:07 pm
Waltz's work in BASTERDS is pretty much why the Oscars exist. He's got it in the bag like Helen Mirren and Javier Bardem. I hope this isn't the only way the Academy will award BASTERDS, though, because it truly is something special.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:41 am
BrianB wrote:
Waltz's work in BASTERDS is pretty much why the Oscars exist. He's got it in the bag like Helen Mirren and Javier Bardem. I hope this isn't the only way the Academy will award BASTERDS, though, because it truly is something special.

Not to derail the topic, but I'm not sure if Inglourious Basterds has much of a shot at anything else except Screenplay and Director - awards that have a higher chance of going to The Hurt Locker. I'm not saying it's not deserving - hell, I think it's a better film than The Hurt Locker - but it is what it is.

This is a good selection of performances, though none of the picks are surprising. (Why should they be, I suppose, if they're the best?) I'd post my own selections, but I'm saving that for the ReelViews Oscars. ;D If it ever happens haha.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:40 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'd put Sam Rockwell on the list as well. Not only did he have to play against his imaginary self the majority of the film, but the role demanded an extremely wide range of emotions and he was entirely convincing. One of my favorite performances of the year for sure.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Producer

So glad Meryl Streep made the list. Although I equally loved Amy Adams performance in that movie as well. I think both are worthy of a best actress nomination. And Stanley Tucci as well. All 3 were wonderful.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:55 am
I just wanted to echo the lack of attention to sharlto copley. The only thing you said about his performance was that it was "admirable" in your review. Not a "top" performance I take it?

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:00 pm
How about a dozen (or ten) top performances of the decade, numbered, like you did at the end of the 90's? That's in the guts of the old reelviews site and I really like it, and have read it many times.

It would be interesting to see if for example, you thought Tom Hanks in Cast Away gave a better performance than Sean Penn in Mystic River?

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 am