Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
why not have your own oscar. 
Post why not have your own oscar.
Every year we always complain about how the oscars are unfair and that the wrong film has won.
So why not this year get all the memebersa who are cinematographer and upwards to nominate for the same categories as the oscars and then we can vote for whcih ever one we like.
I will be interesting to see which film / actor etc actually wins.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:04 am
Director

Post Re: why not have your own oscar.
I like it alot. :D

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile YIM
It took me pretty much all day to realize that Cinematographer refers to our post count. XD

I'm down with the idea overall. I have the following questions:

1. Is everyone going to volunteer movies for the twenty-one main categories? If so, I think we should eliminate the Academy's rules on foreign language films and documentaries. If you want to submit Capitalism: A Love Story, go ahead - it's not on the Academy shortlist, but that doesn't mean it's not worthy. Regarding foreign language films, I propose we nominate films that came out domestically this year - kind of like what James does. So A Prophet would not be eligible.
2. Should we do it Oscar voting style? By that, I mean we pick five nominees per category and whatever's number one gets a lot more weight than 2 and 3 and 4 and 5.
3. Should have have ten nominees for Best Picture? I think we should, though I only think we should vote for five. Sort of. I don't really car either way.
4. Is everyone okay with cinematographer? I think we should allow second unit director and higher (or simply those who post frequently or intend to post frequently). Cinematographer's too inclusive - not to mention it excludes the topic creator. o.o
5. Do we want to post our results publicly or privately? If privately, there's more suspense for whose's going to win what category. If publicly, it's just another topic. If we decide to go private, I nominate myself to collect votes.

But all in all, I like this idea. This is a democracy and I'm with disagreement on what I've proposed.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:18 pm
Sounds like fun to me. Don't really care about the cutoff for who can vote, as long as it's just not people who join the forum just to impact the vote (and I don't know the names for the different levels).

Private voting would be awesome and make it much more of an event. If you're willing to collect and count the votes Pedro, that is awesome.
Do we all do nominations and then separate voting for winners? Do we rank choices in the final voting or just pick one?

I am fine with everyone nominating 10 best pictures. Makes it more fun for people to make up a list and then compare it to the real one when that comes out.
I agree with not adhering strictly to actual Academy rules.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 am
To organise this we need to do the following:
1: We need to decide what categories should be selected.
It is safe to assume that we should have the following:
Best Film
Best Director
Best Leading Actor
Best Leading Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Screenplay
Best Score

2: We then need to pick or 5 - 10 films that can be considered for each category. I am of the opinion that this should be done by people who are cinematogher and above as they will have seen most of the films this year.
Once these catigories have been selected then everyone else votes for their favourite and if Pedro runs the private vote then we can have a reveal the day after the Oscars.

It would be interesting to see how this would work out when it is all done.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:38 am
Sounds like a good idea. The only minor problem may be that most of us haven't seen most of the year end acclaimed pictures as yet. No biggie though. Might skew the voting a bit, but let's do this.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 pm
Yeah, I would want to make sure I saw all the films in the particular category before voting.

Or does that matter?

Sounds like fun.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:53 pm
p604 wrote:
To organise this we need to do the following:
1: We need to decide what categories should be selected.

2: We then need to pick or 5 - 10 films that can be considered for each category. I am of the opinion that this should be done by people who are cinematogher and above as they will have seen most of the films this year.
Once these catigories have been selected then everyone else votes for their favourite and if Pedro runs the private vote then we can have a reveal the day after the Oscars.

It would be interesting to see how this would work out when it is all done.

Here are the 21 main categories that the Academy uses:

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Animated Feature
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Costume Design
Best Director
Best Documentary Feature
Best Film Editing
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Live Action Short Film
Best Makeup
Best Original Score
Best Original Song
Best Picture
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects
Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
Best Writing - Original Screenplay

I would like to propose the following awards in addition to the original 21 - a combination of the BFCA and HFPA touches:

Best Ensemble Cast
Best Screenplay
Best Use of Creativity
Best Picture - Drama
Best Picture - Comedy
Best Actor - Drama
Best Actor - Comedy
Best Actress - Drama
Best Actress - Comedy

That makes it 30 total. It would be five nominees per category except for Best Picture, which we'll go ahead and do ten. If there are any other suggestions, bring them forward! If you need clarification as to what's a comedy/drama, let me know. For the record, I'm sticking with the Globe definition of comedy/drama and yes, A Serious Man is a comedy.

The voting cut-off will be on February 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. Hopefully that will be enough time to see everything of worth. I will announce the ReelViews Oscar nominations on the third, the day after the Academy Award nominations are announced. That'll give time to digest and whatnot. I will announce the ReelViews Oscar winners on March 8th, 2010 at 12:00 noon PST, the day after the Academy Award winners are announced. The winners will simply be the most voted on film for the nominations. There will be no re-voting.

I encourage voting in every category, even if you don't exactly know what to pick. That's kind of how it is when it comes to the Oscars, anyway. I won't reply to anyone's votes, except to say "message received" and "thank you for participating". And it's up to you to differentiate between "best" and "favorite". Oh, and please please please rank your films. If you don't, I'll order them alphabetically and that'll skew the votes.

Regarding how the votes will be counted, this is probably how I'll do it:

1. 16 points
2. 8 points
3. 4 points
4. 2 points
5. 1 point

This will be the case for all categories except Best Picture. That will probably go 24, 19, 15, 12, 9, 7, 5, 3, 2, and 1. I mean, I'm making stuff up, so if you have a better system, I'm all ears.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 pm
Best use of creativity? Isn't that best Visual Effects? The other categories has a tangible ingredient to it but not creativity.

And I think it would be much better to drop the Best Actor and Actress and just have the one for Drama and the one for Comedy.

Ditto, on the Best Pictures

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 am
Patrick wrote:
Best use of creativity? Isn't that best Visual Effects? The other categories has a tangible ingredient to it but not creativity.

And I think it would be much better to drop the Best Actor and Actress and just have the one for Drama and the one for Comedy.

Ditto, on the Best Pictures

I could argue (500) Days of Summer is very creative in its structure, yet it features no significant visual effects. Similarly, Where the Wild Things Are is creative more fore its directing style and costumes. However, Avatar is creative for its visual effects, so I see what you're saying.

I sort of agree with you regarding the multiple categories. My only motivation in structuring it as such is to see which dramatic and comedic performances get nominated, and then which ones break through their genre constraints to make it to the "genreless" nomination. Ditto on the Best Pictures, especially because of the new "10 nominees" rules. If the general consensus is more in line with your argument, though, we'll just do it that way. I don't want this to be a chore; I want it to be fun.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 am
I really don't like the additional categories you suggested. They seem either redundant or ambiguous.

We can separate the screenplay category i think, or just do one, I don't care.
The creativity one, as Patrick pointed out, doesn't really have a clear meaning.

I always hated the division between comedy and drama that the Globes do. Seems rather arbitrary, and in my opinion is just done to boost ratings by giving casual movie-watchers some nominees that they will recognize (The Hangover) rather than rewarding quality.

Ensemble cast would be okay--like SAG does I guess, right?

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:27 am
Trevor wrote:
I really don't like the additional categories you suggested. They seem either redundant or ambiguous.

We can separate the screenplay category i think, or just do one, I don't care.
The creativity one, as Patrick pointed out, doesn't really have a clear meaning.

I always hated the division between comedy and drama that the Globes do. Seems rather arbitrary, and in my opinion is just done to boost ratings by giving casual movie-watchers some nominees that they will recognize (The Hangover) rather than rewarding quality.

Ensemble cast would be okay--like SAG does I guess, right?

Mmm, never thought of the Globes doing it to boost ratings. I mean, you're right. I guess I've always been supportive of a successful comedy; they don't really get enough credit - especially at the Oscars. Nevertheless, the people have spoken and unless there's a significant outcry, we'll just add Best Ensemble Cast and be done with it. The topic calls for out own Oscars after all, not our own Globes.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:07 am
I feel that very few like myself people who contrivute to this forum are not really qulified to either select the categories or slect the films to be nominated.
This is becuase I have not seen a large amount of films this year.
Therefore the only people who should select the categories and nominations are the people who have seen as many films as possible.
The idea of having our own oscars is nice idea. It gives us a chance to acknowledge what we think is good/bad etc. It also gives us a chace to see what way the oscars could turn out if we had a choice.
So I am putting it out the main posters for this forum. James Berardinelli, Patrick, Robert Holloway, Evenflow8112, ed_metal_head, majoraphasia, Trevor. You pick the categories. You pick the nominees. We will vote for them.
Note: It will also be nice to see how easy or hard it is for large group of people to vote for something.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 am
Awww...it means a lot that you would put me as a voter p but I don't watch the current year's crop of movies very often so I'm out.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:45 am
p604 wrote:
I feel that very few like myself people who contrivute to this forum are not really qulified to either select the categories or slect the films to be nominated.
This is becuase I have not seen a large amount of films this year.
Therefore the only people who should select the categories and nominations are the people who have seen as many films as possible.
The idea of having our own oscars is nice idea. It gives us a chance to acknowledge what we think is good/bad etc. It also gives us a chace to see what way the oscars could turn out if we had a choice.
So I am putting it out the main posters for this forum. James Berardinelli, Patrick, Robert Holloway, Evenflow8112, ed_metal_head, majoraphasia, Trevor. You pick the categories. You pick the nominees. We will vote for them.
Note: It will also be nice to see how easy or hard it is for large group of people to vote for something.

Remember post quantity does not necessarily correlate to post quality. Just have a look at my post history!

As far as I can tell Pedro has volunteered, yes? How do we do this? PM to Pedrito?

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:54 am
Another suggestion:

If our deadlines were closer to the Academy's than to other awards, it would give us more time to see lots of the standout films of this year. We don't have to wait until March to announce the winners, but I'm certainly hoping to see a bunch more 2009 films in the next month.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:15 pm
Trevor wrote:
Another suggestion:

If our deadlines were closer to the Academy's than to other awards, it would give us more time to see lots of the standout films of this year. We don't have to wait until March to announce the winners, but I'm certainly hoping to see a bunch more 2009 films in the next month.

Yeah, I'm not even seeing The White Ribbon until the 22nd at the earliest, but that should be the last of the crop.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Remember post quantity does not necessarily correlate to post quality. Just have a look at my post history!

As far as I can tell Pedro has volunteered, yes? How do we do this? PM to Pedrito?

1. Come on, Ed, you have very good posts!

2. Yessir, the PM to Pedrito is how it will work.

3. Am I voting in this? I was getting all excited about being able to push forth Charlotte Gainsbourg, but then I realized it's not exactly fair if I vote. :( Unless you guys trust me!

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:56 pm
I think I may have missed it so I apologize. How many films do each person give for each category. Do I give my top 5 or 10 pictures for best picture or do I just give you 1 film?Also 1 director etc....

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:11 pm
floatingworld wrote:
I think I may have missed it so I apologize. How many films do each person give for each category. Do I give my top 5 or 10 pictures for best picture or do I just give you 1 film?Also 1 director etc....

Five for every category except picture, which you give ten. :D

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm
Pedro wrote:
floatingworld wrote:

Five for every category except picture, which you give ten. :D

Nice! If it was just 1 I wouldn't have done it because it would have been to hard haha. Thanks!

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next