Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
November 26, 2009: "Turkey Day! (The 2009 Bottom 10)" 
Post Re: November 26, 2009: "Turkey Day! (The 2009 Bottom 10)"
Vexer wrote:
it certainly looks better then anything else out right now, especially New Moon! *shudder* hell, slitting my wrists in a bathtub looks appealing compared to New Moon! :evil:

Vexer conveniently forgetting the plethora of good movies that are always out or about to come out, currently being...

A Serious Man
An Education
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Road
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Invictus
The Lovely Bones
Up in the Air
Youth in Revolt (LOVED the book, but the casting is VERY not what I would have called)
The Last Station

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:37 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:
no i'm saving my money to see Armored.

"A newbie guard for an armored truck company is coerced by his veteran coworkers to steal a truck containing $42 million. But a wrinkle in their supposedly foolproof plan divides the group, leading to a potentially deadly resolution."

Is $42 million even alot of money anymore?

Does it take $42 million to retread this crap?

Yes, $42 million is still a lot of money and I would have most of you guys killed if that would mean I would acquire it...tax-free.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:42 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:
it certainly looks better then anything else out right now, especially New Moon! *shudder* hell, slitting my wrists in a bathtub looks appealing compared to New Moon! :evil:

Vexer conveniently forgetting the plethora of good movies that are always out or about to come out, currently being...

A Serious Man
An Education
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Road
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Invictus
The Lovely Bones
Up in the Air
Youth in Revolt (LOVED the book, but the casting is VERY not what I would have called)
The Last Station
Ok fine let me rephrase that-there's nothing else out now that I want to see besides Armored(Well maybe Ninja Assassin, but that looks like it would be better off on DVD)

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Patrick wrote:
Yes, $42 million is still a lot of money and I would have most of you guys killed if that would mean I would acquire it...tax-free.

Even taxed it's still a decent payout. Buys my house and everyone in my families with enough left over to sell my house and buy an island somewhere, with a boat. and a plane. maybe...

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 am
Director

MrGuinness wrote:
Patrick wrote:

That would be like $30-33 million. I'll still take it.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:49 am
Profile YIM
Gaffer

I'm 0 for 10 in viewing this year's worst movies. I won't watch them on DVD either. I am sure that I read all ten reviews when they were first posted. I read every movie review by James when the film is awarded one star, a half-star, or zero stars. On this website, they are great because they're usually quite funny, and there was never really a chance I would see those films anyway; the spoiler alerts don't affect me.

The worst film I saw this year was Wolverine. The prequel genre has officially flamed out. Seeing Hugh Jackman play this same character for a fourth time, without variation and mostly alone on screen, was unnecessary and uninteresting. Nothing in Wolverine's personal history - a Noah worthy 150 years - was surprising or even entertaining. It was the weakest summer action movie May release and the worst prequel I've ever seen.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 pm
Grant Wood wrote:
The prequel genre has officially flamed out.

I hate this stereo-typical BS. Movies in general flame out. A great prequel is right around the corner somewhere...

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm
Site Admin

MrGuinness wrote:
Rotten Tomatoes has Old Dogs at 6%. SIX PERCENT! lol

Of all the reviewers listed on the page, only one has a positive review, so weirdo named Pete Hammond from Boxoffice Magazine. "An often riotously funny slapstick farce that ought to appeal to moviegoers of all ages." He has 22 comments connected to his review. Second place for comments is 2.

Can we say Quote Whore?

At least I can feel good about the quote of mine that appears on the back of the FORREST GUMP Blu-Ray.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

Of all the reviewers listed on the page, only one has a positive review, so weirdo named Pete Hammond from Boxoffice Magazine. "An often riotously funny slapstick farce that ought to appeal to moviegoers of all ages." He has 22 comments connected to his review. Second place for comments is 2.

Can we say Quote Whore?

At least I can feel good about the quote of mine that appears on the back of the FORREST GUMP Blu-Ray.

"Passionate and Magical, Forrest Gump is a tonic for the weary of spirit." - James Berardinelli on the Forrest Gump Blu Ray

I don't know James, the quote on the Forrest Gump box is kind of cheesy and sounds awfully similar to many a quote whore. Just saying, I would have told them to pick another one, again just saying. Out of curiosity, is that quote about the actual movie or the quality of the Blu Ray viewing experience that is Forrest Gump? :lol:

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 pm
BANKA wrote:
Out of curiosity, is that quote about the actual movie or the quality of the Blu Ray viewing experience that is Forrest Gump? :lol:

It's a quote from the opening paragraph of his original review: http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=1428

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 pm
Can I just say how strange it is - though not unwelcome, mind you - that James chose to announce his future father sessions in the turkey topic?

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:28 pm
Pedro wrote:
Can I just say how strange it is - though not unwelcome, mind you - that James chose to announce his future father sessions in the turkey topic?

Embedded within is a turkey baster joke. I can feel it.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 pm
MrGuinness wrote:

Can we say Quote Whore?

I work in the AV department at my local library so I look at DVD cases often, and this guy is on at least half of them. He wrote for Maxim before Boxoffice Magazine. He's the ultimate quote whore.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:38 pm
Blace wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

Can we say Quote Whore?

I work in the AV department at my local library so I look at DVD cases often, and this guy is on at least half of them. He wrote for Maxim before Boxoffice Magazine. He's the ultimate quote whore.

It's true, they put him on everything because they pay him to like everything.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:46 pm
Can't really blame him for that then, hell i'd say Showgirls was an amazing film if I got paid for it! :twisted: :lol:

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm
Vexer wrote:
Can't really blame him for that then, hell i'd say Showgirls was an amazing film if I got paid for it! :twisted: :lol:

This kinda validates Michael Moore, huh?

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:52 pm
Gaffer

With a baby on the way, I will have to be more judicious about how much crap I contend with outside of the diapers.

I like how you just casually drop that in. Congrats!

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 pm
I found it strange that nobody mentioned "All About Steve" in the list of "worst movies of 2009 that JB Did Not Include On His Turkey List". That was BAAAAAADDDDD (I think JB was going to review it and then backed off... smart move)

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:37 pm
Vexer wrote:

...depends, how much and I would have to endure it again?

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:05 pm
All I wanna know is when is he finally gonna post his top 10 list? Thought it was supposed to go up today.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next