Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:55 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Feedback 
Author Message
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 525
Post Re: Feedback
I think that it's unlikely that the top 100 will change that much, but if it does, I'm sure we'll figure something out. Is it possible to change the name of threads?


Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:19 pm
Profile
Post Re: Feedback
darthyoshi wrote:
I think that it's unlikely that the top 100 will change that much, but if it does, I'm sure we'll figure something out. Is it possible to change the name of threads?


Yes we can. Worse comes to worse we can just put new threads if there are additions and change the deletions to whatever their rank is.


Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:18 pm
Post Re: Feedback
darthyoshi wrote:
I think that it's unlikely that the top 100 will change that much, but if it does, I'm sure we'll figure something out. Is it possible to change the name of threads?


I haven't checked the entire top 100 but there were 14 position changes for the top 25 movies alone.


Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:33 pm
Post Re: Feedback
I'll go in and edit the positions to reflect the latest thinking

It may take an hour or so, but no big deal once a year.

Rob


Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 am
Post Re: Feedback
Question: Is there any way we can start a thread within this subforum for films on the list outside of the top 100?

For example, in the past few days I've watched Night of the Living Dead (#260) and The Lady from Shanghai (#418). Other than the General Movie Discussion forum, where I doubt much discussion will occur, there's no place to discuss these films. I'm not advocating breaking the rest of the list down like the top 100 has been, but a separate thread (with a link to the list) to discuss the remaining 900 films on the list seems like it would be worthwhile. I'd do it myself, but I guess I'm a pussy and didn't want to step on any toes, so I thought posing this question would suffice. What say you (you being whoever the hell still checks this place)?


Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:01 am
Post Re: Feedback
PeachyPete wrote:
Question: Is there any way we can start a thread within this subforum for films on the list outside of the top 100?

For example, in the past few days I've watched Night of the Living Dead (#260) and The Lady from Shanghai (#418). Other than the General Movie Discussion forum, where I doubt much discussion will occur, there's no place to discuss these films. I'm not advocating breaking the rest of the list down like the top 100 has been, but a separate thread (with a link to the list) to discuss the remaining 900 films on the list seems like it would be worthwhile. I'd do it myself, but I guess I'm a pussy and didn't want to step on any toes, so I thought posing this question would suffice. What say you (you being whoever the hell still checks this place)?


That's a very good question...you can PM James about this and see if he'll make you a new subforum.


Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:03 am
Post Re: Feedback
Patrick wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Question: Is there any way we can start a thread within this subforum for films on the list outside of the top 100?

For example, in the past few days I've watched Night of the Living Dead (#260) and The Lady from Shanghai (#418). Other than the General Movie Discussion forum, where I doubt much discussion will occur, there's no place to discuss these films. I'm not advocating breaking the rest of the list down like the top 100 has been, but a separate thread (with a link to the list) to discuss the remaining 900 films on the list seems like it would be worthwhile. I'd do it myself, but I guess I'm a pussy and didn't want to step on any toes, so I thought posing this question would suffice. What say you (you being whoever the hell still checks this place)?


That's a very good question...you can PM James about this and see if he'll make you a new subforum.


One of us misunderstands the question Patrick. I think Pete is asking to create a single thread in The Great Movies section that deals with film 101-1000. It might be like the "Last Movie You Watched' thread, except that...it isn't. Sounds like a decent idea to me (if that is what he meant).


Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:26 am
Post Re: Feedback
I see.....you win this round ed.

But I think that a single thread here would be too crowded and breaking it down would dilute this area...a quandary.


Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:44 am
Post Re: Feedback
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Question: Is there any way we can start a thread within this subforum for films on the list outside of the top 100?

For example, in the past few days I've watched Night of the Living Dead (#260) and The Lady from Shanghai (#418). Other than the General Movie Discussion forum, where I doubt much discussion will occur, there's no place to discuss these films. I'm not advocating breaking the rest of the list down like the top 100 has been, but a separate thread (with a link to the list) to discuss the remaining 900 films on the list seems like it would be worthwhile. I'd do it myself, but I guess I'm a pussy and didn't want to step on any toes, so I thought posing this question would suffice. What say you (you being whoever the hell still checks this place)?


That's a very good question...you can PM James about this and see if he'll make you a new subforum.


One of us misunderstands the question Patrick. I think Pete is asking to create a single thread in The Great Movies section that deals with film 101-1000. It might be like the "Last Movie You Watched' thread, except that...it isn't. Sounds like a decent idea to me (if that is what he meant).


Yes, what Ed said. It could function exactly like the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, just dealing with movies on the list outside of the top 100. I can understand the stance that those threads are too similar, but it seems like the discussion in this subforum goes a bit more in depth than the previously mentioned thread. I think it could get more people into this subforum, and maybe even spur discussion on the top 100 itself.

What do you mean by too crowded, Patrick? I'm not sure I follow.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:01 am
Post Re: Feedback
By too crowded I mean there's one thread for 900 movies pretty much making that thread the Zoidberg of this forum.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:56 am
Post Re: Feedback
Patrick wrote:
By too crowded I mean there's one thread for 900 movies pretty much making that thread the Zoidberg of this forum.


Ahhh, ok. I can see your point, but what else can be done? The thread could potentially become quite large and cover quite a few movies, but I don't see how that's any different than the "Last Movie You Watched" thread. In fact, with that thread, the number of potential movies to be discussed numbers in the tens, or hundreds, of thousands. With the proposed thread, the number is only 900. It would be like a mini version of the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, but hopefully with more discussion. Anyway, I'll step off of my soapbox, as I think I've made my position fairly clear. Hopefully, something can be done. If not, I think I'll manage to survive. Thanks for at least entertaining my suggestion.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:03 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1489
Post Re: Feedback
patrick, you really think any thread here could get 'too crowded?'

only 5 people post here, gimme a break. and of those 5, I guarantee none of them have seen more than 400 of the top 1000. have you looked at that list? its not exactly stocked with mainstream fare.

just start the thread Pete, there's no rule against it. I'll do it for you if you want.

the cinematic journey thread got a lot more responses than this section because it covered a lot of titles. it was silly to give each movie their own thread & expect them to get much of a discussion going.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 pm
Profile
Post Re: Feedback
Calvero, one thread for 900 movies? Don't you think that's a bit crowded movie-wise?

I'm not going to stop you from making such a thread, I just don't like the idea of it.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:51 pm
Post Re: Feedback
I like the idea. The comparison to the last movie you watched thread is apt and although i don't like that thread very much, it isn't really a black hole here or anything.

The only problem is that it will discourage discussion about specific movies just a little bit in that separate people may talk about the same movie dozens of pages apart in the thread with no real discussion with anyone else who has seen it (unless someone saw it recently and it is fresh in their minds).

Another problem might be, where do you post, here or in the last movie you watched thread? Should people check the list every time to see if their film is in the top 1000? Should moderators movie their posts if they are?


Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:40 pm
Post Re: Feedback
Trevor wrote:
The only problem is that it will discourage discussion about specific movies just a little bit in that separate people may talk about the same movie dozens of pages apart in the thread with no real discussion with anyone else who has seen it (unless someone saw it recently and it is fresh in their minds).


I think that so few people post on this subforum that worrying about less discussion wouldn't be that much of a problem. I don't think we'd have to worry much about talking about the same movie dozens of pages apart, and if so, isn't that what the quote option is for?

Trevor wrote:
Another problem might be, where do you post, here or in the last movie you watched thread? Should people check the list every time to see if their film is in the top 1000? Should moderators movie their posts if they are?


Now this I see as a legit concern. I also don't really have an answer. It's a bit much to ask those that have no interest to check if the film they watched is on a list they don't care about. I also imagine it would be a rather large pain in the ass for you moderators to have to check every movie talked about in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread and move it when necessary.

I would suggest two separate threads, one here and one in the already going thread, and let posters decide where to post their movies. If those that post in the new thread see a film on the list in the old thread, maybe they can take it upon themselves to let people know there is another thread for films on the list with some in depth discussion. People can then choose for themselves as to where they should post. Not really much of a solution, but I don't see much of an alternative. I'm more than open to any other suggestions.


Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:14 pm
Post Re: Feedback
Patrick wrote:
Calvero, one thread for 900 movies? Don't you think that's a bit crowded movie-wise?

I'm not going to stop you from making such a thread, I just don't like the idea of it.


It's not like the thread will start with content. In all likelihood only a fraction of the 900 will be discussed.


Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:02 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr