Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:32 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Best Actor 
Post Re: Best Actor
Ken wrote:
Christoph Waltz. Christoph Waltz. And Christoph Waltz.

Supporting Actor. Supporting Actor. Supporting Actor. And he'll probably win.

Michael Jai White actually had a little buzz for a little while, but if he couldn't even get an Independent Spirit Award nomination, he has zero chance at the Oscars. So I guess there's no justice.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm
Pedro wrote:
Ken wrote:

Who's the lead actor in the film? Is there another male performance as significant to the story or with as much screentime? I don't think even Brad Pitt qualifies.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:30 pm
Ken wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Ken wrote:

Who's the lead actor in the film? Is there another male performance as significant to the story or with as much screentime? I don't think even Brad Pitt qualifies.

If Brad Pitt was nominated, it would probably be as lead actor just because he is the most notable protagonist. The real lead is Shoshanna I guess. But it's not just about whether an actor is the foremost actor in the film.

Waltz's character is a supporting character as written in the script. He's a bad guy played against clear good guys (unlike a bad guy who is the main character like in, say, Training Day). He's a character actor playing against star actors. He wouldn't stand a chance winning in the best actor category, but he will in the best supporting one. All those factors mean he will be nominated for best supporting actor.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:27 pm
Trevor wrote:
If Brad Pitt was nominated, it would probably be as lead actor just because he is the most notable protagonist. The real lead is Shoshanna I guess. But it's not just about whether an actor is the foremost actor in the film.

Waltz's character is a supporting character as written in the script. He's a bad guy played against clear good guys (unlike a bad guy who is the main character like in, say, Training Day). He's a character actor playing against star actors. He wouldn't stand a chance winning in the best actor category, but he will in the best supporting one. All those factors mean he will be nominated for best supporting actor.

I'm not sure. Brad Pitt might even be supporting, too. But you're right, Trever. There is no clear lead actor in Inglourious Basterds. There is, however, a lead actress. If there's a main character, it's her. Trevor brings up another good point, though: marketing. Waltz definitely wouldn't stand a chance in the other category. For example, the main character in The Last King of Scotland was James MacAvoy. Whitaker was marketed the nomination for Best Actor, one that MacAvoy technically should have received- and won the damn award! Sometimes that happens if it's more likely to win the award that way. Whitaker would have otherwise gone up against Eddie Murphy and Alan Arkin. Whitaker would have lost.

Then again, sometimes the Academy calls bullshit, case in point Kate Winslet's The Reader nomination. She was marketed as Best Supporting Actress and got nominated for Best Actress.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:02 pm
Brothers has been receiving some mixed reviews, but a lot of the positive reviews have been exceedingly positive. Even most of the negative reviews praise the performances. What's the Oscar Buzz on this movie? Any love for Tobey?

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:58 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Brothers has been receiving some mixed reviews, but a lot of the positive reviews have been exceedingly positive. Even most of the negative reviews praise the performances. What's the Oscar Buzz on this movie? Any love for Tobey?

I don't see it happening. The field is pretty competitive this year, likely to be dominated by juggernauts. I suppose we shouldn't rule him out, but I'm not ruling him in, either.

(And as such, I've given up on Sam Rockwell. v___v)

Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am
Producer

Quote:
For example, the main character in The Last King of Scotland was James MacAvoy.

I would say that was a movie with two lead actors, which happens sometimes. An extreme case was Sleuth.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:24 pm
Pedro wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I don't see it happening. The field is pretty competitive this year, likely to be dominated by juggernauts. I suppose we shouldn't rule him out, but I'm not ruling him in, either.

So, Tobey Maguire ended up with a Globe nomination. You may argue this gives him a leg up in the Oscar race, but I still think Jeremy Renner or Daniel Day-Lewis are taking that fifth spot.

Bridges
Clooney
Firth
Freeman
Renner

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2