Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap" 
Author Message
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
[quote="Jeff Wilder"]First off, I probably won't go anywhere near anything Twilight. If I want to see vampires in a movie I want either the bloodsuckers of From Dusk Till Dawn or the ones in Interview With The Vampire.

Yes, those are vampires. One who bite people for the craving or the eroticism of the blood, not any sparkling vampires of lame CGI werewolves.


Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 am
Profile YIM
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
This is one of the most intriguing uses of statistics ever... I LOVE IT... keep it up


Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:28 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
jburnaway wrote:
This is one of the most intriguing uses of statistics ever... I LOVE IT... keep it up


We do our best in the forums. You are welcome.


Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:39 am
Profile YIM
Gaffer

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 am
Posts: 5
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
Looking at those statistics, I am wondering if men overall give films lower ratings than women do. (I can't seem to find the information, but my connection is too patchy right now to make a complete investigation.) If so, these deltas may be a little biased, and the actual distribution might be less skewed towards large deltas when women give a higher rating. Of course, it could also go the other way and be even more skewed!

(I also feel like I should point out that my response to movies is much more analytical than emotional, despite the XX chromosomes...)


Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:35 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
starryharlequin wrote:
Looking at those statistics, I am wondering if men overall give films lower ratings than women do. (I can't seem to find the information, but my connection is too patchy right now to make a complete investigation.) If so, these deltas may be a little biased, and the actual distribution might be less skewed towards large deltas when women give a higher rating. Of course, it could also go the other way and be even more skewed!

(I also feel like I should point out that my response to movies is much more analytical than emotional, despite the XX chromosomes...)


Most men review films base on logic, while women review films base on emotions. It's a difference of opinions and how we take in movies.


Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Gaffer

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 am
Posts: 5
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
corpen11 wrote:
Most men review films base on logic, while women review films base on emotions. It's a difference of opinions and how we take in movies.


Oh, no, I understand--it's just that for the 98 people who get that that's a generalization, there are 2 who will dismiss what I say out of hand because I'm emotional and thus unreliable. So I like to point out the exceptions where I can...

I'm really interested now by this statistics thing, though. I wonder how strongly demographics affect the gender difference? That is, would other movie sites that allow user ratings (with a large enough voter base to have reliable results) show similar deltas? I also wonder how marketing campaigns affect the results--Titanic, if I remember correctly, had a much less gender-biased campaign than SATC or the Twilight films or even Mamma Mia. That could screw with the early results, which might, in turn, affect later results (I think people tend to cluster around the values already assigned, the same way people will defer to the judgment of a crowd even when they thought they were certain beforehand). I wish IMDb and other sites would publish more raw data so we could play with this stuff.


Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:47 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
starryharlequin wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Most men review films base on logic, while women review films base on emotions. It's a difference of opinions and how we take in movies.


Oh, no, I understand--it's just that for the 98 people who get that that's a generalization, there are 2 who will dismiss what I say out of hand because I'm emotional and thus unreliable. So I like to point out the exceptions where I can...

I'm really interested now by this statistics thing, though. I wonder how strongly demographics affect the gender difference? That is, would other movie sites that allow user ratings (with a large enough voter base to have reliable results) show similar deltas? I also wonder how marketing campaigns affect the results--Titanic, if I remember correctly, had a much less gender-biased campaign than SATC or the Twilight films or even Mamma Mia. That could screw with the early results, which might, in turn, affect later results (I think people tend to cluster around the values already assigned, the same way people will defer to the judgment of a crowd even when they thought they were certain beforehand). I wish IMDb and other sites would publish more raw data so we could play with this stuff.


Titanic was able to pull in $600+ million in the US by trying to get both men and women. If SATC, Twilight ans Mamma Mia ewants only a female audience than it's fine by me, but they should have tried to pull Titanic's move by getting both males and females. If a large group of people like the film, they would talk about it constantly to other people(mainly the people who fits the target crowd or their family) to go see the film.


Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
Twilight: NM, has dropped over 70% from the first week. Thanksgiving weekend too.


Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:04 am
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
Zedferret wrote:
Twilight: NM, has dropped over 70% from the first week. Thanksgiving weekend too.


It made over $140 million last weekend, that big of a drop-off is a given.


Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:54 am
Post Re: November 24, 2009: "The NEW MOON Gender Gap"
Patrick wrote:
Zedferret wrote:
Twilight: NM, has dropped over 70% from the first week. Thanksgiving weekend too.


It made over $140 million last weekend, that big of a drop-off is a given.


Is it? Heres the top 20 openings of all time and their first weekend dropoffs. All fanboy stuff too.

Lord of the Rings RotK - 30%
Shrek 2 - 33%
Spiderman - 33%
Harry Potter and the SS - 36%
Harry Potter and the GoF - 46%
Spiderman 2 - 48%
Iron Man - 48%
Star Wars Ep 3 - 49%
Dark Knight - 52%
Pirates 2 - 54%
Indy 4 - 55%
Shrek 3 - 56%
Matrix Reloaded - 58%
Transformers 2 - 61%
Spiderman 3 - 61%
Pirates 3 - 61%
Harry Potter and the PoA - 62%
Xmen 3 - 66%
Twilight: New Moon - 70%


Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:11 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr