Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:50 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The results from the inaugural Berdanelli's 
Post The results from the inaugural Berdanelli's
Here are the results from the forum (James picks are in red) . Drum roll please

Best film - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Director - Danny Boyle
Best Actor - Mickey Rourke
Best actress - There's chaos at PriceWaterhouse as we have a tie. Ballots are being recounted as we speak
Best supporting - Heath Ledger and Marisa Tomei

No need to watch tomorrow. The show has been cancelled and the stars are heading over to Mount Laurel, NJ to collect their awards :-)

Rob

Film - Slumdog (23), Milk (6), Button (4)
Director - Boyle (27), Fincher (3), Van Sant (3)
Actor - Rourke (27), Penn (5), Langella (1). Jenkins (1)
Actress - Streep (11), Winslet (11), Hathaway (8), Jolie (1)
S Actor - Ledger (26.5), Shannon (3), Brolin (1), Downey Jr (1.5), Seymour Hoffman (1)
S Actress - Tomei (17), Davis (5), Adams (5), Henson (2), Cruz (4)

Rob

PS - Here were my picks

Film - Slumdog Millionaire
Director - Danny Boyle
Actor - Mickey Rourke
Actress - Kate Winslet
S Actor - Heath Ledger
S Actress - Marisa Tomei

Cheers
Rob

Last edited by Robert Holloway on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 pm
Post Re: The Berardinellis
I'd like to vote, but.... most of the Oscar nominated films haven't been released in Latin America, so I'll just have to wait =/

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I'd like to vote, but.... most of the Oscar nominated films haven't been released in Latin America, so I'll just have to wait =/

That's what torrents and dvd screeners are for!

Then buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. Everybody wins.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 pm
Same here, I'm going to have to wait until I see them all to vote on this. Maybe I can get it done before the oscars.... :shock:

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 pm
Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
Director - Danny Boyle
Actor - Mickey Rourke
Actress - Meryl Streep
S Actor - Robert Downey Jr.
S Actress - Marisa Tomei

If I were actually part of an awards organization I might vote for Heath Ledger to honor his work and his life, but I truly believe that Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder was the best supporting performance of the year.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 pm
munroe wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

That's what torrents and dvd screeners are for!

Then buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. Everybody wins.

heh, I know, but I like to watch those kinds of films in theatres. I'm a theatre guy - if I know I'll like the movie or if I've been expecting it, I watch it in theatres and THEN buy the DVD. other movies (like, I don't know, last year's Death Race, or movies like Away From Her that were never released in Peruvian theatres) I watch them directly in DVD.

like I said, I'll definitely wait for these to be released in Peruvian theatres.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 pm
Director - Danny Boyle
Actor - Mickey Rourke
Actress - Anne Hathaway
Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger
Supporting Actress - Marisa Tomei

Although, in my opinion, Winslet's performance is marginally better than Hathaway's, I was more impressed by Hathaway. She had a rocky past year and I imagine she channeled a lot of the crud she was going through into her performance and made it at least somewhat personal.

I must note, however, that the above picks are based on me thinking that the topic is about us voting if we were members of the Academy. If Holloway was asking for our real predictions, then I don't think Tomei or Hathaway will win. Cruz probably has her name on the statue already, Hathaway's going to pull a Eddie Murphy and lose to Streep or Winslet (she would lose, anyway, but making Bride Wars couldn't have helped), Penn might walk away with the Actor Oscar, and Fincher might swipe Director from Boyle. The only lock, in my book, is Ledger, as he's won basically across the board in other awards.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:28 pm
Actor - Mickey Rourke
Supp Actress - Viola Davis

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:04 pm
I really hope that Mickey wins for the Wrestler. Personally I was disappointed the film wasn't nominated for best picture, but I know it has some flaws, so I understand why.

Slumdog is my pick otherwise. Frost/Nixon was excellent, mostly because of Langella, and Milk falls in the same category, brilliant acting that's unmatched by the film overall. Slumdog is the opposite, the acting is almost invisible(because of the competency), whereas the movie as a whole is brilliant.

I haven't seen the Reader, and Button was boring. The special effects were something to behold though.

Tomei for Supporting Actress

I really would like them to give Michael Shannon the award, but I know that's not going to happen. I'm not disappointed with Heath winning it though, he deserves it.

Danny Boyle for director. He wasn't nominated, but I feel Aronofsky will get his day in the sun soon. He swung himself in the other direction for this film, so hopefully on the next he'll find that perfect balance between style and minimalism.

I haven't seen enough of the movies in the Best Actress category to make a vote. I'm seeing most of them this weekend though.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
Director: Danny Boyle
Actor: Mickey Rourke
Actress: Meryl Streep
Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger
Supporting Actress: Marisa Tomei

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm
Actress: Not a clue.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Shelobfan wrote:

I will be very happy if those are the winners.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 pm
I am updating the results within the first post every couple of days or so :-)
Rob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 pm
Picture- Slumdog Millionaire
Director- Danny Boyle
Actress- Meryl Streep
Actor- Mickey Rourke
Supporting Actress- Amy Adams
Supporting Actor- Heath Ledger

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:24 pm
Picture: The Dark Knight
Director: Christopher Nolan (Followed Close by Andrew Stanton)
Documentary: Man On Wire
Screenplay: WALL-E
Animated Film: WALL-E
Cinematogrophy: The Dark Knight
Special FX- Iron-Man
Editing: The Dark Knight
Makeup: Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Original Score: The Dark Knight (Followed close by WALL-E)
Sound-Mixing: WALL-E
Sound Editing: WALL-E

I believe that the best offerings this year were The Dark Knight and WALL-E. Both cater perfectly to the crows they are targeting as well as do what movies do best: Entertain!

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 pm
Raymong wrote:
Picture: The Dark Knight
Director: Christopher Nolan (Followed Close by Andrew Stanton)
Documentary: Man On Wire
Screenplay: WALL-E
Animated Film: WALL-E
Cinematogrophy: The Dark Knight
Special FX- Iron-Man
Editing: The Dark Knight
Makeup: Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Original Score: The Dark Knight (Followed close by WALL-E)
Sound-Mixing: WALL-E
Sound Editing: WALL-E

I believe that the best offerings this year were The Dark Knight and WALL-E. Both cater perfectly to the crows they are targeting as well as do what movies do best: Entertain!

Raymond
I share your sentiments, but
Dark Knight was not nominated, nor Andrew Stanton?
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:08 am
Picture: Of the 5 nominees, my vote would go to Slumdog Millionaire.
Director: Danny Boyle gets my vote - by a landslide.
Actor: Mickey Rourke's performance will be remembered for a really long time. One of my favorite performances in years.
Actress: Oh, this is the toughie for me!!! Streep, Winslet, and Hathaway are extraordinary. Streep's performance is astonishing in its flawless technique. Winslet's performance is outstanding in its bravery. Hathaway's is exemplorary in its emotional heft. If I were an Academy voter, I would probably vote for Winslet. She deserves it (sort of like Scorcese for The Departed). Streep's got 'em. Hathaway (hopefully) will continue to do more roles and be given another chance. Which is actually the best performance of the year? I can't decide yet. Perhaps I need to see the 3 films again (seen Doubt 3 times, Rachel Getting Married twice, and The Reader twice). But once again, for the sake of this thread, I'll say Winslet gets my vote if I were an Academy member.
Supporting Actor: I hate to 'follow the mold,' but Ledger's performance should and will be honored.
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis - hands down. God, I hope she wins. Tomei is my close second.

And it may be a bit early, but I do think this is the way it will end up on Oscar night. Count this as my official first unofficial prediction. :-)

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:13 am
Joseph wrote:
Picture: Of the 5 nominees, my vote would go to Slumdog Millionaire.
Director: Danny Boyle gets my vote - by a landslide.
Actor: Mickey Rourke's performance will be remembered for a really long time. One of my favorite performances in years.
Actress: Oh, this is the toughie for me!!! Streep, Winslet, and Hathaway are extraordinary. Streep's performance is astonishing in its flawless technique. Winslet's performance is outstanding in its bravery. Hathaway's is exemplorary in its emotional heft. If I were an Academy voter, I would probably vote for Winslet. She deserves it (sort of like Scorcese for The Departed). Streep's got 'em. Hathaway (hopefully) will continue to do more roles and be given another chance. Which is actually the best performance of the year? I can't decide yet. Perhaps I need to see the 3 films again (seen Doubt 3 times, Rachel Getting Married twice, and The Reader twice). But once again, for the sake of this thread, I'll say Winslet gets my vote if I were an Academy member.
Supporting Actor: I hate to 'follow the mold,' but Ledger's performance should and will be honored.
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis - hands down. God, I hope she wins. Tomei is my close second.

And it may be a bit early, but I do think this is the way it will end up on Oscar night. Count this as my official first unofficial prediction. :-)

Joseph

I really liked reading your views here. Thanks. I'm curious about your thoughts on The Reader versus La Winslet. I thought that she was the reason to see this movie whereas Doubt had more to offer and PSH and others really help her shine.

Rob

Last edited by Robert Holloway on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm
I've updated the master list
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:04 pm
Director - Danny Boyle
Actor - Mickey Rourke
Actress - Meryl Streep
Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger or Robert Downey Jr.
Supporting Actress - Marisa Tomei

In my mind, TDK will always be this years best picture and Chris Nolan the best director.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next