Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:02 pm

November 22, 2009: "Permutations of Change" 
Post Re: November 22, 2009: "Permutations of Change"
Actually gas prices are considerably lower then they were 2 years ago, or at least they are where I live, in 2007 gas was 4 dollars per gallon, since the start of 2009, it's dropped down to 2 dollars per gallon and it's pretty much stayed at that price. Though there's no doubt that gas is still going to limit the amount of people that go to theaters, fortunately it dosen't affect me much as I usually see only around a dozen or so movies per year, and both of my local theaters are only about 15 minutes away, so it's not much of an issue for me.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm
Site Admin

Max M. wrote:
Interesting post, James. As far as gas prices go, I expect the Peak Oil phenomenon to raise prices high enough to completely undermine not only movie prices, but industrial civilization as a whole. (If that seems like apocalyptic hyperbole, think about how much gas it takes to transport massive quantities of medicine and foods across the country to your local grocers, or for suburbanites to drive 30 minutes to work every day) My best estimate for when this will happen will be 16-20 years from now, and if we wait until then to begin implementing alternative fuel technology, government analysts estimate about 20 years of liquid fuel deficit.

Hopefully your instincts are correct, and rising gas prices becomes the administration's chief concern very soon.

P.S. - Not to hassle you or anything, but when are we going to see the review of All Quiet on the Western Front? ;)

I don't know if I agree with you about civilization as a whole being undermined, but it is a possibility. The longer people ignore this or keep it on the back burner, the greater the chance is that it could create an economic cataclysm. Maybe on December 21, 2012. :)

All Quiet should be on (or around) December 5. Cimarron is coming first, probably this Friday.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:
Actually gas prices are considerably lower then they were 2 years ago, or at least they are where I live, in 2007 gas was 4 dollars per gallon, since the start of 2009, it's dropped down to 2 dollars per gallon and it's pretty much stayed at that price. Though there's no doubt that gas is still going to limit the amount of people that go to theaters, fortunately it dosen't affect me much as I usually see only around a dozen or so movies per year, and both of my local theaters are only about 15 minutes away, so it's not much of an issue for me.

Yes, gas peaked at about $4 per gallon (here, it was at $3.70, I believe) in 2007. Then the economy collapsed and the price of oil went down with it. Last year, gas bottomed out here around $1.25. It's now roughly double that, at $2.50. The reason people aren't noticing the increase is because it's creeping up, not skyrocketing like in 2007. Gas is traditionally low, and usually drops in price, during November-January. It's staying stable. Upward pressures caused in part by oil's gradual increase, will push gas prices up slowly over the winter months. However, as we move toward April and May, they will spike, and perhaps dramatically.

The irony is that as the economy improves, worldwide oil demand will increase. This will result in gas prices spiraling out of control, which could lead to one of two ugly possibilities: (1) inflated prices that are so crushing they will result in parts of the economy seizing up (consider what would happen if 1/3 of the population can't afford to drive), or (2) price caps/freezes, which will lead to gas lines and shortages. (If you don't remember what happened in the '70s and briefly during the early '80s, consider getting in a line 50 cars deep at a gas station, idling for an hour, then getting to the pump in time to learn that they have run out. Remember the green flags/yellow flags/red flags? Or the odd/even days?)

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
I KNOW JAMES' SECRET!!! (My best guess :ugeek: )

He is libertarian. Perhaps not a member of the Libertarian Party, but in ideology. Not bad company tho' since Thomas Jefferson to the South Park creators agree. Anyway, this is simply from reading James' posts over the last 10+ years.

Actually, most younger people and ESPECIALLY those who find themselves 'centrists' or "agreeing with each party somewhat" but then voting back and forth every 4 years like a Ping-Pong game... are probably libertarian in ideology. You don't hear about it since the 2 'DuOpoly parties' convince you that there is only a 2 party system.

If you are curious yourself, here is an UNBIASED (Rush Limbaugh took this and scored Right Conservative, etc.) quick way to find out. It can be found in Political Science Textbooks. http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html

BTW, here is an example of a libertarian ACCURATELY predicting the recent political disaster years before it occurred with a ridiculing Republican economist (and liberal host). It will BLOW YOUR MIND.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU6PamCQ6zw

And so, no, the economy is not improving despite your assertion that the media is trying to 'pump it up'. And especially with that aghast statement like your earlier poster who wants the economy to improve so he can go back to buying 'his home theater'. This thinking is the cause. The dollar will lose value and so will your overall purchasing power... a concept lost with most Americans... of course until it is too late.

Last edited by Darth Sanjaya on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:26 pm
Darth Sanjaya wrote:
I KNOW JAMES' SECRET!!! (My best guess :ugeek: )

He is libertarian. Perhaps not a member of the Libertarian Party, but in ideology. Not bad company tho' since Thomas Jefferson to the South Park creators agree. Anyway, this is simply from reading James' posts over the last 10+ years.

Actually, most younger people and ESPECIALLY those who find themselves 'centrists' or "agreeing with each party somewhat" but then voting back and forth every 4 years like a Ping-Pong game... are probably libertarian in ideology. You don't hear about it since the 2 'DuOpoly parties' convince you that there is only a 2 party system.

If you are curious yourself, here is an UNBIASED (Rush Limbaugh took this and scored Right Conservative, etc.) quick way to find out. It can be found in Political Science Textbooks. http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html

BTW, here is an example of a libertarian ACCURATELY predicting the recent political disaster years before it occurred with a ridiculing Republican economist (and liberal host).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU6PamCQ6zw

Some glorious return

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 pm
"Avatar" seems to be too much of a standard "Planet of the Apes" morality tale, which people generally seem to like. I don't think it will be a blockbuster, but by no means will it get shabby treatment from an audience that is increasingly tolorant of science fiction and fantasy.

Libertarianism is even too political for my tastes. I think James, or least I hope, is just a pragmatic cynic. Deep down, we all know that government is an endless, pointless struggle based on a dubious idea(The social contract).

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 am
Will Hatch wrote:
Deep down, we all know that government is an endless, pointless struggle based on a dubious idea(The social contract).

This sentence is fucking with my head.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:28 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
(consider what would happen if 1/3 of the population can't afford to drive)

LA would sure be a cleaner place.

Last edited by MrGuinness on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:29 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Will Hatch wrote:
Deep down, we all know that government is an endless, pointless struggle based on a dubious idea(The social contract).

This sentence is fucking with my head.

I hope in a positive way. :D

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:36 pm
Director

I just want the damn lobbyists out of the government.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 pm
Profile YIM