Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Critic

Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
You know that annoying person who's so desperate to be liked that they keep bugging you every day, trying to impress you with how awesome they are? That's Amelie. It works so goddamn hard to put a smile on your face that it made me want to vomit. So I maintain my stance of "fuck that film."

And Oafalay, if you think the cinematography in that film is second to none, then I have a whole list of films for you to check out. Just because the photography is distinctive doesn't make it "second to none," or we'd have to give Emmanuel Lubezki an Oscar for his work on The Cat in the Hat.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:12 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
You know that annoying person who's so desperate to be liked that they keep bugging you every day, trying to impress you with how awesome they are? That's Amelie. It works so goddamn hard to put a smile on your face that it made me want to vomit. So I maintain my stance of "fuck that film."

And Oafalay, if you think the cinematography in that film is second to none, then I have a whole list of films for you to check out. Just because the photography is distinctive doesn't make it "second to none," or we'd have to give Emmanuel Lubezki an Oscar for his work on The Cat in the Hat.

Basically my litmus test for memorable cinematography is that if a movie looks good enough to be hung up in art museums as a painting, then it is memorable...but that's just me and clearly everyone's mileage will vary here. At any rate, I thought that in the case of Amelie, it was crucial to allowing the viewer to accept the fantasy world in which the story takes place. It worked for me, but it didn't work for you. Oh well, we disagree, but now let's get back to the topic at hand...I dunno if this film has been mentioned yet but any nominations for Batman and Robin?

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:34 pm
oafolay wrote:
I dunno if this film has been mentioned yet but any nominations for Batman and Robin?

I can't hate a movie with so many awesome ice puns. I can dislike it which I do but I don't hate it.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:01 pm
Critic

Yeah I don't hate Batman and Robin in the slightest. Hell, I hate The Dark Knight more than Batman and Robin. The latter is just so beyond bad, so unrepentantly goofy and ridiculous that it's more fun than anything else.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:12 pm
'Hell, I hate The Dark Knight more than Batman and Robin.'

This is not implying that you hate 'The Dark Knight', is it? I mean, I don't like banning people out of spite, but then again I can't think of a more honorable abuse of my power than in that film's honor :)

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 pm
I hated 21. I suppose that it was competently made, but no film in recent memory annoyed me as much as this one.

Patrick wrote:
Ed was just messing with ya Kunz, you have the exact same avatar as rishi85.

Thanks to The Sterg for pointing that out in my absence. Kunz-y took the bait really nicely, don't you think? Hey! I just coined two bodacious nicknames!

Patrick wrote:
You're not slow...rishi hasn't been around lately or if he has I've been very unobservant.

Haven't spotted him either. Then again he was always incredibly active for a short period before disappearing for a longer while. I speculate that he is currently queuing for Avatar tickets.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 pm
Any of you call me The Sterg and you will be banned.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Critic

Evenflow8112 wrote:
'Hell, I hate The Dark Knight more than Batman and Robin.'

This is not implying that you hate 'The Dark Knight', is it? I mean, I don't like banning people out of spite, but then again I can't think of a more honorable abuse of my power than in that film's honor :)

I don't hate the film per se, but I really hate how much people loved it. It was overlong, riddled with plot holes, and fell apart in the third act, yet people think it's a great film. Ugh.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Patrick wrote:

What about Pat 'The Sterg' Liehan?

If that doesn't sound like a Chicago Bears linebacker from the 60's, I will pay the dissenting poster five dollars out of my own pocket. Mind you, you have to actually believe what you're saying and provide evidence to the contrary :)

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:25 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

What about Pat 'The Sterg' Liehan?

If that doesn't sound like a Chicago Bears linebacker from the 60's, I will pay the dissenting poster five dollars out of my own pocket. Mind you, you have to actually believe what you're saying and provide evidence to the contrary :)

Anyone calls me that, I will ban you and then unban you so I can ban you again.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:27 pm
Director

Quote:
never saw Romero as a great director, since he decided to burrow into his 'zombie commentary' niche a little too comfortably (excepting 'Martin' and 'Monkey Shines'), which nags to question both his skill as a director and his stature as an artist.

have you seen 'The Crazies?'

Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:49 pm
I'm really surprised no one's mentioned either Twilight or New Moon yet, I haven't seen them, but I hate the fact that they even exist.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I'm really surprised no one's mentioned either Twilight or New Moon yet, I haven't seen them, but I hate the fact that they even exist.

Bym the year's end, I'll watch both films. More than likely Twilight will be the better film than New Moon, but that's not saying much.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:34 pm
Profile YIM
Critic

I saw Twilight and found it less hatable than I was expecting (even hoping, perhaps). Sure I despise what it represents--deplorable ideas of gender relations, thinly-veiled encouragements towards abstinence, the continued neutering of vampires--but it wasn't that bad as a film, or so I thought.

calvero wrote:
have you seen 'The Crazies?'

I just watched it last week in fact. Wasn't terribly impressed. The storyline focusing on the government's response is interesting and well-made, but the other storyline focusing on the band of survivors less so. **1/2

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Director

I must say, I'm rather disturbed by the amount of posters here who saw Twilight.

According to reports I've read, 80% of the audience was female, so what are your excuses? Girlfriend drag you?

Its odd to see male posters who claim Aliens or The Marine is their favorite movie, admitting to paying 10 bucks to see a film based on novels that were targeted towards 13 year old girls.

Must be a generational thing...

Quote:
I just watched it last week in fact. Wasn't terribly impressed. The storyline focusing on the government's response is interesting and well-made, but the other storyline focusing on the band of survivors less so

yeah, its not great or anything, but I think there are some good ideas & scenes. The remake has a lot of potential.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm
Critic

In all honestly a friend (female) paid for my ticket to see Twilight, but I also had a desire to see what all the fuss is about. I love cinema--I don't only see things like Aliens just because it's one of my favorite films.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:05 pm
Vexer wrote:

Kratz mentioned Twilight on the first page.

I saw Twilight and quite frankly, it's mediocre. There's plenty of hot chicks, the directing was decent and I thought Robert Pattison was good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who declares Twilight one of the worst movies ever wants to be part of the cool group, hasn't seen many movies or haven't read the book which is an abortion on literature. You puny brain will immediately see worth in the movie once you read it.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Kratz mentioned Twilight on the first page.

I saw Twilight and quite frankly, it's mediocre. There's plenty of hot chicks, the directing was decent and I thought Robert Pattison was good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who declares Twilight one of the worst movies ever wants to be part of the cool group, hasn't seen many movies or haven't read the book which is an abortion on literature. You puny brain will immediately see worth in the movie once you read it.
Well there have been several negative reviews of Twilight from people who actually LIKE the books, they claim the films are an abomination and completely miss the point of the book(though I find that statement hard to believe, exactly what point is there to a series like Twilight? That women should be completely submissive?)

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm
Critic

And that men can't control themselves around women because they get urges that render them powerless, but strong men resist the urges even when the girls are begging them to give in to them.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:02 pm
The movies, at least New Moon I will phrase like this. If there was a movie that had a group of topless (or at least bikini clad) 17 year old girls running throughout, and the vast majority of individuals that saw the movie where male, feminist organizations would be livid. Somehow since the genders are reversed, it's socially acceptable. There is no substance here for adults. In my experience talking to folks who have read the books and watched the movies is, that it's for women who need to feel loved. It's the young adult version of a romance novel and literary equivalent to chocolate. Again alot of the ideas for this series seems to be taken directly from the Southern Vampire Mystery Novels (what True Blood is based from).

Also Patrick, while I tend to stand behind a lot of opinions I can't agree with you here. These books have been trashed by fellow fantasy writers including most notably Stephen King "Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:23 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next