Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Ed was just messing with ya Kunz, you have the exact same avatar as rishi85.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:02 am
Critic

(is slow)

Thanks Patrick. I better get a new one to prove that I'm the distinctiest distinct online person ever.

Meanwhile...

I also hated Mulholland Falls. What a stupid attempt at neo-noir.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:42 am
Director

Kickin' It Old School: It's like watching a 13 year old boy trying to tell jokes and using cuss words in his jokes. Not funny, disrespectful and emberresing

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
JamesKunz wrote:
(is slow)

Thanks Patrick. I better get a new one to prove that I'm the distinctiest distinct online person ever.

Meanwhile...

I also hated Mulholland Falls. What a stupid attempt at neo-noir.

You're not slow...rishi hasn't been around lately or if he has I've been very unobservant.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:25 pm
Reading through what you've posted, I'm adding Bad Boys 2, The Master of Disguise & The Passenger.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:54 pm
'The Messenger: The Story Of Joan Of Arc' - A bomb's bomb, this is Luc Besson's worst film by several notches. It is simply unbearable.
'Land Of The Dead' - The most unnecessary zombie film of all time? It comes close.
'Freedomland' - I mourn this film like few others. It could have been a great, great motion picture that probed the depths of hell present in the underbelly of modern society. Every single piece was in place. The novel's author even helmed the script. Wait, who's directing? ...NO. Not that guy! NoOoOoOoOoOo! I swear that I will re-write and direct a superior version of this film before I die. Promised.
'The Life Aquatic' - Wes Anderson tried too hard with this film, and after the umpteenth 'unexpected' and delightful idiosyncratic caricature graced the screen, I had to give up. If 'Fantastic Mr. Fox ' is anything like this, it can go straight to hell.

I fifteenth The Boondock Saints. Easily the worst cult flick of the 90's.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:30 pm
I enjoyed both Land Of The Dead and Life Aquatic for what they were, they're both forgettable but far from bad, and i'd argue that Diary Of The Dead is far more deserving of the title of most unnecessary zombie film, as most of the characters are very unlikeable and ROmero for whatever insists on force-feeding us a lame moral about how technology makes us more like zombies or whatever. As for Boondock Saints, yes it is pretty damn overrated, but I didn't really hate it, I just found it very forgettable and unremarkable.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:56 pm
Vexer wrote:
I enjoyed both Land Of The Dead and Life Aquatic for what they were, they're both forgettable but far from bad, and i'd argue that Diary Of The Dead is far more deserving of the title of most unnecessary zombie film, as most of the characters are very unlikeable and ROmero for whatever insists on force-feeding us a lame moral about how technology makes us more like zombies or whatever. As for Boondock Saints, yes it is pretty damn overrated, but I didn't really hate it, I just found it very forgettable and unremarkable.

Diary Of The Dead added a breathe of fresh air to Romero's routine zombie invasion plotline. I won't claim it is original, but nevertheless I believe it is proof that Romero has room in his work for change or improvement (both of which are supplied by 'Diary Of The Dead' - sans the horrible acting by the female lead). I never saw Romero as a great director, since he decided to burrow into his 'zombie commentary' niche a little too comfortably (excepting 'Martin' and 'Monkey Shines'), which nags to question both his skill as a director and his stature as an artist. Here he at least marries that tired (and frankly, overrated and overindulged) theme with a fresher form of film-making. I think that is at the very least commendable.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm
Critic

You have to give credit to Romero for basically inventing a genre. I mean, vampire movies take all forms and manner, but zombie movies always follow Romero's template: bunch of surviving humans in a world where the zombies are taking over. So yeah, I wish he would have stopped at Day (decidedly underrated, btw) since Land was a weak 2.5 stars and Diary was a lowly 2, but I certainly don't bear him any ill will, let alone hatred.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:20 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Diary Of The Dead added a breathe of fresh air to Romero's routine zombie invasion plotline. I won't claim it is original, but nevertheless I believe it is proof that Romero has room in his work for change or improvement (both of which are supplied by 'Diary Of The Dead' - sans the horrible acting by the female lead). I never saw Romero as a great director, since he decided to burrow into his 'zombie commentary' niche a little too comfortably (excepting 'Martin' and 'Monkey Shines'), which nags to question both his skill as a director and his stature as an artist. Here he at least marries that tired (and frankly, overrated and overindulged) theme with a fresher form of film-making. I think that is at the very least commendable.
Well that "theme" was already visited in Cloverfield, and I wasn't a fan of that film either, so it just seemed to me that Romero was spending too much time trying to jackhammer a message into the viewers heads. If the characters had been likeable I wouldn't have minded so much, but that wasn't the case, and IMO that made the Diary a real chore to sit through. I hope Romero learned his lesson for Survival Of The Dead, though the early reviews of it don't give me much hope. And I don't hate Romero, I just think he's overrated, plus he's got a real ego problem.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:25 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
You have to give credit to Romero for basically inventing a genre. I mean, vampire movies take all forms and manner, but zombie movies always follow Romero's template: bunch of surviving humans in a world where the zombies are taking over. So yeah, I wish he would have stopped at Day (decidedly underrated, btw) since Land was a weak 2.5 stars and Diary was a lowly 2, but I certainly don't bear him any ill will, let alone hatred.

It was a rather basic blueprint, wasn't it? I don't have much of a problem imagining another person tackling the genre like that. Nevertheless, he did it first. Unfortunately, all of the people you mention who follow his zombie template are little different than he eventually became. If he were a more inspired filmmaker, he would have changed the concept rather than the situation, whilst retaining the zombies and the social commentary. 'Dairy Of The Dead' can be argued to be his most radical move as a director ever since the final frame of his debut, which is depressing.

I don't have any hatred or ill will for Romero, but nevertheless his status as idol is largely undeserved.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Critic

Evenflow8112 wrote:
I don't have any hatred or ill will for Romero, but nevertheless his status as idol is largely undeserved.

Meh. That's probably true, but same with Stanley Kubrick. Or Tarantino. Or (especially) Wes Anderson. Or anyone really who gets worshipped so much that quality of their films is regarded as irrelevant.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:40 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Bruce Almighty and Attack of the Clones. Hours of my life that I can never get back again.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:27 pm
The only movie that has ever deeply offended me is Napoleon Dynamite. Although Pedro is a nickname of mine, I've had since before the movie was conceived. Assholes.

I was also struck by how pretentious and boring Cheri and La Notte were.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:16 am
Producer

YES! I totally agree with the person who said The Life Aquatic. I think Wes Anderson is a gifted guy. I LOVED The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore and The Darjeeling Limited. But boy, did he fail with The Life Aquatic. Everything about it failed. And perhaps the biggest crime of the movie was the fact that it actually made the usually wonderful Cate Blanchett very boring!

Another movie I hated: Breakfast of Champions. It's got good people like Bruce Willis and Nick Nolte. But the movie doesn't make a lick of sense and it's completely unfunny and dreary and dreadful. Oh, man words can not convey how much I hated it. Nick Nolte is great in it though.

The Truth About Charlie has a great director and a talented cast, yet it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life! And Tim Robbins, whom I usually love, is so damn awful in the movie! Ugh, I even hated how the movie looked. It was such a horrible movie! A Zero Star movie to me!

Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:06 am
Critic

How about Amelie? Everyone said the movie was delightfully sweet and different when I found it to be incredibly cloying, with characters who could only exist in a movie--which is not necessarily a bad thing, but can be annoying--and a pretty standard arc of two characters who are "meant to be" that the screenplay keeps apart for 130 goddamn minutes. Fuck that film.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:17 am
JamesKunz wrote:
How about Amelie? Everyone said the movie was delightfully sweet and different when I found it to be incredibly cloying, with characters who could only exist in a movie--which is not necessarily a bad thing, but can be annoying--and a pretty standard arc of two characters who are "meant to be" that the screenplay keeps apart for 130 goddamn minutes. Fuck that film.

I don't see what's so great about it, I like it but that's all because of Audrey Tatou.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 am
Patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I don't see what's so great about it, I like it but that's all because of Audrey Tatou.

Are you kidding me?! I love Ameile. Yeah, it was manipulative but skillfully so (at least I thought so). The cinematography was second to none and there were just enough splashes of dark, offbeat humor to keep the more potential saccharine elements in check. I consider this to be one of the best feel good films ever made! Sorry guys but I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree here (ditto for the guy who dissed Adventureland, which is my second favorite movie this year behind Inglourious Basterds).

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:20 pm
Meatloaf wrote:
I Am Sam
I absolutely despise this horrid excuse for a movie.

+1, Meatloaf. What an awful, manipulative bunch of crap.

In a similar vein, The Other Sister.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:38 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

I really think of all the films to say 'Fuck that film' about, "Amelie" is low on the list. However, it is almost undeniably overrated, especially considering the disappointing final fourth.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next