Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Director

Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Adventureland - absolutely no idea why anyone likes this film. I hated the main character, I hated Kristen Stewart's hair twirling, herion addict looking, pathetic acting, and Ryan Reynolds was completely useless.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:08 am
oafolay wrote:
Probably Bad Boys 2 and My Boss's Daughter. I still haven't seen Freddy Got Fingered which could potentially outdo both of those for sheer agony based on what I've heard!!!!
Never saw Freddy(though I have been sorta curious to see if it's really that bad, i certainly can't imagine it being that much more painful then the other films I hate) but Bad Boys 2 is one of my all time favorite movies, I can easily quote pretty much every line of dialogue from that film off the top off of my head, great fuckin film! I REALLy hope Bay will eventually make a sequel to it, Never saw My bodd's Daughter either, but considering that Kutcher's a pretty horrible actor(for the record, I never liked him in That 70s Show, hell I ddin't like the show period) it's pretty safe to say that it's not very good.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:36 am
Critic

Quote:
Blowout and Femme Fatale Actually, I dislike most of Brian De Palma's films, but those two especially.

Femme Fatale sucked. Plays with the audience in a way that makes no sense as a film, just for the sake of manipulating us. One of the biggest "bad taste in the mouth" endings ever. But Blow Out is a very straightforward thriller that has very little of De Palma's over-the-topness and I liked it. Nancy Allen's really annoying in it, but aside from that it's a good film

And I did happen to see Freddy Got Fingered when I was younger and I can say that without a doubt it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The type of film in which you stare agog at the screen (or the person you're seeing it with), marveling that what's happening on screen is actually in a real, mainstream film. Highlights include-

Tom Green's friend breaking his leg open skateboarding, and Tom licking the inside of the wound
Tom's nuanced relationship with a paraplegic woman who likes to give blowjobs, be smacked on her legs, and invent rocket engines
Tom Green pulling a baby out of a pregnant woman and then swinging it around his head by the umbilical cord
Tom masturbating an elephant so he can spray people with its semen.

God do I hate that film.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:34 am
I saw Freddy Got Fingered and all I saw was a run-of-the-mill bad movie. Nowhere near the worst movie I ever saw.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:58 am
Critic

No Patrick. You're wrong. I would easier understand you thinking it was a great film than a "run-of-the-mill" bad movie. 27 Dresses fits such a description. Broken Arrow fits such a description. So does The River Wild. Or a ton of other films that just aren't impressive for one reason or another. Freddy Got Fingered goes so far 'out there' that it physically cannot occupy the 2-3 star spectrum. And that's not just my opinion, it's scientific fact.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:35 am
Director

ShrunkenHead wrote:
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

The first film is one of my guilty pleasures, but the sequel was just plain painful.

NK:A was just awful. Also: The Pest, Freedy Got Fingered and Transformers 2.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

The first film is one of my guilty pleasures, but the sequel was just plain painful.

NK:A was just awful. Also: The Pest, Freedy Got Fingered and Transformers 2.

Yeah, The Pest pretty much made it clear that Leguizamo is NOT fit to play comedic roles, ALthough I did enjoy the hell out of Transformers 2 for the most part.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:30 pm
Director

Yeah, The Pest pretty much made it clear that Leguizamo is NOT fit to play comedic roles, ALthough I did enjoy the hell out of Transformers 2 for the most part.[/quote]

Transformers 2 was a 150 minutes dead zone for me.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm
Profile YIM
Critic

So was Transformers. I have no idea why the original gets a pass.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:01 pm
*twitches*

TTTTHHHHHEEEEE PEEEESSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Oh well, I don't hate it enough to want Leguizamo dead.

Now as for my view on Freddy Got Fingered Kunz, I was expecting something so bad that my eyes would bleed and my face would be slack-jawed in horror. None of that happened. I got gross jokes, bad bits, stupid choices and bad acting. I even laughed a couple times, hence it may suck but it's suckitude isn't the stuff of legends.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:50 pm
Three pages in? Impressive, I must say that rishi85 has been starting some popular threads recently. Good job, man.

I nominate The Master of Disguise. Someone please second.

calvero wrote:
Crash

Which one?! The suspense is killing me.

Trevor wrote:
There are plenty of movies I dislike strongly, but it takes something special for me to really truly HATE a film.

That film is Chocolat.

Fucking Juliette Binoche decides that everyone in this sweet little town needs to give up all of their core values and embrace liberalism in an orgy of sex and chocolate. Hey everybody! God doesn't want you to eat chocolate--why don't you kill that fucker already??!! Juliette Binoche's performance seals the deal--has anyone ever been so smug and self-satisfied? Hi, I'm Juliette Binoche, I just arrived here from Hollywood to destroy your morals! Embrace pleasure with me!! Hedonism is the only true god!!!
I just want to jam chocolate down her throat until she explodes. See how much she likes Chocolate then.

Note: I am a liberal who loves sex and chocolate and I think Juliette Binoche is a brilliant actress who certainly doesn't deserve death by chocolate.

Damn, I've never seen Trevor so angry. Now I really, really want to see this movie.

DylnFan96818 wrote:
Adventureland - absolutely no idea why anyone likes this film. I hated the main character, I hated Kristen Stewart's hair twirling, herion addict looking, pathetic acting, and Ryan Reynolds was completely useless.

I barely liked the movie, but we both dislike the same things about Ms. Stewart.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:09 pm
Strangely, as critical as I tend to be of movies, I am having a tough time coming up with something that I honestly, truly hate unreservedly. I can certainly list several movies that I don't like but my hatred for those films really isn't strong enough for me to want to shout it out from every rooftop. Certainly, I don't like any of Michael Bay's films - The Rock and the original Bad Boys excluded (albeit barely in the case of Bad Boys) - but I honestly don't think that he's made something so gut-churningly awful that it made me want to flee in horror. I mostly find his films to be so bad that they're kinda good in a way (especially Pearl Harbor which may well be the best unintentional comedy ever). I could make a similar argument for other films that I've seen; I dunno, I guess I just find it easier to champion films that I like (or love) than I do deriding the ones that I don't...but come to think of it, as I'm writing this post, a couple of Pauly Shore films come to mind that could qualify here: Encino Man and even moreso Biodome. Encino Man did admittedly have one scene that I found to be kinda funny but it was effective conterbalanced - check that, it was overwhelmed - by the tons upon tons of material that was just painful to the eyes and the ears, all of which involved Shore's shameless mugging for the camera. At least Sean Astin was able to rebound from this and actually carve out a decent career for himself. On the other hand, Biodome simply had no chance of being worthwhile in any way, shape or form. The scene where he and Steve Baldwin (who pretty much fucked up his career irreparably by doing this movie)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
are farting in the dome and then each tries to guess what the other ate based on the smell
just clinched it for me. Ugh!!!!! Oh yeah, and why oh why did someone as talented Joey Lauren Adams ever agree to this? I will never have an answer for that...shit man, now I'm starting to think of more films that I hate somewhat passionately, namely those beyond-awful Ace Ventura movies that inexplicably earned Jim Carrey his place on Hollywood's A-list (although his choices later on his career proved him to be capable of so much more). I guess that I just have an aversion to movies that confuse reveling in extreme tastelessness with being funny.

Last edited by oafolay on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm
I'll gladly second Master Of Disguise, I saw it as a kid(well actually I didn't get to see athe whole film, but i'll be damned if i'm ever gonna finish it!) and I even hated it then! And i'll gladly watch a Pauly Shore film over almost ANY film starring Adam Sandler(Click and Bulletproof being the only movies of his I can tolerate)Pretty much all of his movies are downright excruciating to sit through, especially The Waterboy, I was having visions of killing the screenwriter and director after only 10 minutes into that unwatchable abortion of a film! :evil: Only reason I even finished it is because my class was forced to watch it in school, I think that definitely qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment! :evil:

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 pm
Director

mkratzer21 wrote:
Twilight. Stupid sparkling emo douchebags

For a second there, I thought it was the '98 Robert Benton film. But then i realized that it was virtually impossible to dislike a movie that features a young, topless Reese Witherspoon. ;)

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:36 pm
Star Wars: The Clone Wars makes me want to punch babies. What the New Trilogy was for most old Star Wars fans is what that movie was for me. I don't think I've ever been more furious coming out of a film than I did that one. What a load of exploitative, unenjoyable, poorly-made horseshit.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:41 am
Here's another opportunity to express the depth of the hatred I feel for Highlander 2: The Quickening. I can't describe the level of loathing I feel for that absolutely-unmitigated bucket of horse diarrhea. That's right, it's not even solid fecal matter, it's the kind of liquidy stuff that comes out of one's anus after eating Taco Bell food with lots of fire sauce.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:48 am
Just thought of another film I hate immensely-Dead Poets Society, yet another movie I was forced to view in high school. I hate that movie so much it's not even funny, I hate the overblown and melodramatic dialogue, I hated all the characters and didn't give a shit when that one guy
[Reveal] Spoiler:
commited suicide
I was like, who gives a shit? And I know i'll get attacked for this, but I think Williams gives his absolute WORST performance ever(and in case your owndering, yes I have seen RV, and yes I think it's a million times more watchable then this overrated piece of dogshit!) he just got on my nerves with his sacharine inspirational bullshit dialogue. To quote Ebert "I hated hated hated hated this movie!" And for the record, I find North infintely more tolerable.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am
Vexer wrote:
Just thought of another film I hate immensely-Dead Poets Society, yet another movie I was forced to view in high school. I hate that movie so much it's not even funny, I hate the overblown and melodramatic dialogue, I hated all the characters and didn't give a shit when that one guy
[Reveal] Spoiler:
commited suicide
I was like, who gives a shit? And I know i'll get attacked for this, but I think Williams gives his absolute WORST performance ever(and in case your owndering, yes I have seen RV, and yes I think it's a million times more watchable then this overrated piece of dogshit!) he just got on my nerves with his sacharine inspirational bullshit dialogue. To quote Ebert "I hated hated hated hated this movie!" And for the record, I find North infintely more tolerable.

but zero times infinity is still zero Vex :lol:

Seriously though, I couldn't finish Dead Poets....I finished North but I hate it.

As for staying on topic, here's another movie that I really hate and that's Fireproof. Those you scour the Last Movie You Watched thread will remember this as that movie where I tried to slash my wrists with my DVD remote.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:29 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
commited suicide

Wow, I've agreed with you twice in two days. What's the deal with that? Which reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's Bee Movie. There's an atrocious POS.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:54 am
Critic

Quote:
Impressive, I must say that rishi85 has been starting some popular threads recently. Good job, man

Not to get all huffy, but I started this thread.

Anyhoo, I also HATE Dead Poet's Society. Robin Williams as the inspirational teacher who inspires children to be exactly like him, instead of being exactly like the old stuffy masters wanted. And the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
suicide
scene is so beyond pretentious and dumb: I like Peter Weir a lot but that whole sequence is directly terribly. And then there's the one kid who becomes a stool pigeon at the end so another kid can punch him and the audience can have a nice little manipulative moment. Ugh what a stupid movie.

I haven't seen Fireproof but it offends me to my very core that so many Christian people thought it was so inspirational. You know how to "fireproof your marriage? Don't be a selfish tool. There, I've spared you 100 minutes of that stupid, stupid looking film.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next