Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:21 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Poll #24: Alice in Chains 

New Alice in Chains?
Bring back Layne...I don't care if he's dead! 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
I like this new guy. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Who's Alice in Chains? 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

Poll #24: Alice in Chains 
Author Message
Post Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Forgive the lateness of this topic but I spaced out this morning and then I had to be gone for the day so anyways.

The question is this, do you like the new Alice in Chains?


Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
To me, Alice in Chains IS Layne and Jerry. Their vocal harmonies were perfect and they had that chemistry that made Alice in Chains work so well.

Try as they might, the new Alice in Chains sounds like a cover band that happened to have most of the original members....just like Journey.


Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:48 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
While I freely admit that I liked them better when Layne was around, Duvall does a solid enough job of filling his shoes. Btw, AIC might be my second favorite band next to Rush!!!!


Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Well I'm going to just jump in the pitfall..... I think Alice in Chains was one of, if not THE, best Seattle band of the early-mid 90's, but now they need to just find a hole and crawl into it. Jerry's solo stuff sounded like Alice in Chains and Alice in Chains now sounds like a rip off of the glory days. I gave the record a chance and almost immediately dismissed it. Sorry guys.


Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
:!: :?: :!: There's a new Alice in Chains? I'm seriously out of the loop...


Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
stiefmo wrote:
Well I'm going to just jump in the pitfall..... I think Alice in Chains was one of, if not THE, best Seattle band of the early-mid 90's, but now they need to just find a hole and crawl into it. Jerry's solo stuff sounded like Alice in Chains and Alice in Chains now sounds like a rip off of the glory days. I gave the record a chance and almost immediately dismissed it. Sorry guys.


I will agree with you on that much of your statement here. Certainly, AIC stood head and shoulders above the solid-but-overrated Nirvana. Better songwriting, better musicianship, just plain fucking better!!!!!


Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:14 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
oafolay wrote:
stiefmo wrote:
Well I'm going to just jump in the pitfall..... I think Alice in Chains was one of, if not THE, best Seattle band of the early-mid 90's, but now they need to just find a hole and crawl into it. Jerry's solo stuff sounded like Alice in Chains and Alice in Chains now sounds like a rip off of the glory days. I gave the record a chance and almost immediately dismissed it. Sorry guys.


I will agree with you on that much of your statement here. Certainly, AIC stood head and shoulders above the solid-but-overrated Nirvana. Better songwriting, better musicianship, just plain fucking better!!!!!
No kidding, Nirvana sucked major ass! I always hated them along with Pearl Jam with a passion and I don't care one bit that Cobain committed suicide( BTW I think anyone who thinks that Courtney killed him has way too much time on their hands, no offense), as he wasn't at all talented! I wonder why more people mourned over the no-talent Cobain then the very talented Staley.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:39 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Vexer wrote:
oafolay wrote:
stiefmo wrote:
Well I'm going to just jump in the pitfall..... I think Alice in Chains was one of, if not THE, best Seattle band of the early-mid 90's, but now they need to just find a hole and crawl into it. Jerry's solo stuff sounded like Alice in Chains and Alice in Chains now sounds like a rip off of the glory days. I gave the record a chance and almost immediately dismissed it. Sorry guys.


I will agree with you on that much of your statement here. Certainly, AIC stood head and shoulders above the solid-but-overrated Nirvana. Better songwriting, better musicianship, just plain fucking better!!!!!

No kidding, Nirvana sucked major ass! I always hated them along with Pearl Jam with a passion and I don't care one bit that Cobain committed suicide( BTW I think anyone who thinks that Courtney killed him has way too much time on their hands, no offense), as he wasn't at all talented! I wonder why more people mourned over the no-talent Cobain then the very talented Staley.


Well, I don't quite share your feelings about Pearl Jam and Nirvana sucking, but I do like Alice In Chains better than both! All of those early 90's Seattle bands were pretty awesome in their own individual ways. Nirvana just got played out after a while - especially "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which really wasn't as great a song as people make it out to be (how it continuously tops all of these rock and pop countdowns on VH1 and MTV is something of a mystery to me).


Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Always fun to drop into the Reelviews Forum for a quick vote regarding... um... Alice in Chains? *checks URL* Right... Alice in Chains. I like Jerry Cantrell's guitar stylings (this despite his name being closer to that of a rabbi than a guitar god) and, in my youth, played Dirt endlessly. I was 12; that's one of the many quirky things I did in Chicago's cheery suburbs. Without their guitarist and lead singer, Alice In Chains is now a lounge act. They should've changed their name to reflect this. Hey! That's a good poll idea! No. No it isn't.

Vexer wrote:
No kidding, Nirvana sucked major ass! I always hated them along with Pearl Jam with a passion and I don't care one bit that Cobain committed suicide( BTW I think anyone who thinks that Courtney killed him has way too much time on their hands, no offense), as he wasn't at all talented! I wonder why more people mourned over the no-talent Cobain then the very talented Staley.


Calmer now. Me, not you. I love me some Nirvana because, and this is always going to be the case, they're one of a handful of bands from the late 80s/early 90s that had a distinct sound. As a lyricist, Cobain found some gutter-level poetry for some wonderful things. As songwriters, Nirvana were always (to me, at least) interesting and ever-changing. Neat. The dynamicism between the lyrics and the music were always impressive and, call me crazy, Cobain had a great voice. Not a great singing voice, exactly, but he was an enthusiastic and exciting vocalist all the same. His suicide was sad because, just like Elliott Smith, it always seemed like it was coming and, when it finally happened, it felt like we'd been warned at least a hundred times. The guy was in a lot of pain -- it may have made for some great music but it ended in a horrific way. Suicide. Yeesh. When isn't it incredibly sad?

EDIT: To hopefully give you (read: me, future tense) an example of how not to respond I've kept my original post but debigulated the text thereof. Also: weird how The Simpsons gave us so many words.

I don't visit the forums much nowadays but its always a shock to return and find a post like the one above. "Ah, yes," I say to myself, "that's why I lost 98% of my interest." It's all well and good to dislike (or even, as is your wont, "hate with a passion :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ") Nirvana but the comment about the suicide...? Really? Well, stupid me, I like Nirvana and believe Mr. Cobain was reasonably talented. But, whatever he might have been, he was definitely extraordinarily unhappy. There are many things about Cobain that touched many people and his death was mourned not despite his being a no-talent hack but because many people felt they had a connection. Empathy, compassion and the like. Vexer, you seem like an extraordinarily unhappy person as well. Cheer up.


Last edited by majoraphasia on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:33 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
majoraphasia wrote:
Always fun to drop into the Reelviews Forum for a quick vote regarding... um... Alice in Chains? *checks URL* Right... Alice in Chains. I like Jerry Cantrell's guitar stylings (this despite his name being closer to that of a rabbi than a guitar god) and, in my youth, played Dirt endlessly. I was 12; that's one of the many quirky things I did in Chicago's cheery suburbs. Without their guitarist and lead singer, Alice In Chains is now a lounge act. They should've changed their name to reflect this. Hey! That's a good poll idea! No. No it isn't.

Vexer wrote:
No kidding, Nirvana sucked major ass! I always hated them along with Pearl Jam with a passion and I don't care one bit that Cobain committed suicide( BTW I think anyone who thinks that Courtney killed him has way too much time on their hands, no offense), as he wasn't at all talented! I wonder why more people mourned over the no-talent Cobain then the very talented Staley.


I don't visit the forums much nowadays but its always a shock to return and find a post like the one above. "Ah, yes," I say to myself, "that's why I lost 98% of my interest." It's all well and good to dislike (or even, as is your wont, "hate with a passion :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ") Nirvana but the comment about the suicide...? Really? Well, stupid me, I like Nirvana and believe Mr. Cobain was reasonably talented. But, whatever he might have been, he was definitely extraordinarily unhappy. There are many things about Cobain that touched many people and his death was mourned not despite his being a no-talent hack but because many people felt they had a connection. Empathy, compassion and the like. Vexer, you seem like an extraordinarily unhappy person as well. Cheer up.
Oh i'm not unhappy in the least! :twisted: though I cna see why you would think that, i'm just brutally honest about how I feel about everything due to my Aspberger's Syndrome, just so you know. I never said Cobain deserved to die for being untalented or anything, I just plain didn't like him nor did I care one bit when he died, that's all there is to it.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:32 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
D'oh. I just edited my post as a way of kinda sorta softening what I'd said. I don't know. No, that's not true. I know that I wish I hadn't written that response because, at the end of the day, its all opinion on this forum. I know what you meant with the suicide remark and nobody needs me coming in here as some enforcer of good taste. Principally because, out of 1200 posts, I seem to revel in something entirely unlike good taste. My sincere apologies.

Alright, carry on everybody.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 am
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
For me, Nirvana was my favorite band back when I was 14 or 15 but then I discover Alice in Chains and 80's metal so my love Nirvana has diminished. However, no one can take away the fact that they obliterated hair metal and they did have some great songs like Polly and Something in the Way. In fact, I kinda like their softer stuff more than the their rockers.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:58 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
AIC died when Layne did. That voice and catalog are in the past and I don't much care for the fact they're using the old band's name. If you want to continue with the remaining memebers, call the band something else. I do think AIC got the short end of the stick when "grunge" was popular, especially since Nirvana got most, if not all the mainstream attention. Pearl Jam was and still is a very good band, citing their performance at the VH1 Honors for The Who (Love Reign O'er Me and The Real Me were both spot on). FWIW, I took along a cassette (that's right kids, ask your parents what that is) of Dirt with me when I went to Panama for a month; glad I did as I got some kinda bug that laid me up for a few weeks. Love, love, love Angry Chair and Down In A Hole.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 am
Profile
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Patrick wrote:
For me, Nirvana was my favorite band back when I was 14 or 15 but then I discover Alice in Chains and 80's metal so my love Nirvana has diminished. However, no one can take away the fact that they obliterated hair metal and they did have some great songs like Polly and Something in the Way. In fact, I kinda like their softer stuff more than the their rockers.
That's the main reason why I hate them, they copletely got rid of hair metal, thoug hmost people might say that's a good thing, but not me! I love hair metal! Grunge on the other hand just bores the hell out of me for the most part, with AIC and Soundgarden being exceptions. I never understood the popularity of the whole my-life-sucks-and-I-want-to-kill-myself mentality that grunge and alterive bands, I mean I listen to music to to cheer me up, not to depress me.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Great, GREAT rock-n-roll band. How many can claim to be that original? The one with Layne that is. They were also my favorite out of the early 90's rock bands. That they were associated with grunge doesn't seem accurate to me. Talk about a remarkable voice, Layne is up there with the best of the best. His vocals on the River of Deceit track with Mad Season were otherwordly, IMO. A beautiful song. I will never forget seeing them hamming it up on MTV with one of the hosts (Ricky something) way back in the day...at a waterpark with speedos and everything...lol...I remember him later saying that they were one of the rock bands that "Get it".


My vote is for Chains with Staley.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
I dreaded this thread, since because on grunge band was named, it consequently mean that Nirvana would pop up (and, predictably, one person even mentioned - and even slighted - Kurt Cobain's suicide, for reasons I can't quite calculate). I will not say anything definite other than that Nirvana, from the years 1990 to 1994, released no albums of substandard or even partially flawed quality, and 98% of their work from the period sticks (including a heartbreaking, unbearably poignant acoustic version of 'You Know You're Right', which sums up their majesty and downfall in one fell swoop). There isn't a band from that time period who boats such a pristine track record, and there who have such a remarkably untarnished resume in any era.

Alice In Chains are easily my least favorite or the Big Four of grunge, although that in itself isn't a knock on them as it is testament to Soundgarden's virtuosity, Pearl Jam's mighty chemistry (and hooks), or Nirvana's unerring consistency and inventiveness. Alice In Chains made what may be THE feel-bad record of the 90's (I'll give the Manic Street Preacher's "Holy Bible" the award, personally) with "Dirt", and they have an incredible resume of amazing singles which both deepened and expanded what a metal band could do with sound and vocal harmonies. Very few metal bands possessed the innate ability they had to turn even the most simple of song structures into distinct blows on the human psyche. A song like 'Sickman', which might be bad as performed by any other band, and might be a bad song anyhow, is transformed by Cantrell's siren guitar cries and Staley's beyond tortured vocals into a surging ride into a beautiful pit of sludge-filled decadence. It's a sinking, lower than low slink that the band captured better than anybody else ever did.

However, to avoid typing a complete musical rant, I will say that I do not consider Alice In Chains in any other incarnation than their 90's form to be the same band, and their new singer has no hope of filled Layne Staley's formidable shoes, neither in the singularly affecting nature of his vocals but also the humbling, darkly human nature of his lyrics.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Vexer wrote:
Patrick wrote:
For me, Nirvana was my favorite band back when I was 14 or 15 but then I discover Alice in Chains and 80's metal so my love Nirvana has diminished. However, no one can take away the fact that they obliterated hair metal and they did have some great songs like Polly and Something in the Way. In fact, I kinda like their softer stuff more than the their rockers.
That's the main reason why I hate them, they copletely got rid of hair metal, thoug hmost people might say that's a good thing, but not me! I love hair metal! Grunge on the other hand just bores the hell out of me for the most part, with AIC and Soundgarden being exceptions. I never understood the popularity of the whole my-life-sucks-and-I-want-to-kill-myself mentality that grunge and alterive bands, I mean I listen to music to to cheer me up, not to depress me.


I like hair metal but in the context of the era, it became too bloated and it had to die.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:54 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Patrick wrote:
For me, Nirvana was my favorite band back when I was 14 or 15 but then I discover Alice in Chains and 80's metal so my love Nirvana has diminished. However, no one can take away the fact that they obliterated hair metal and they did have some great songs like Polly and Something in the Way. In fact, I kinda like their softer stuff more than the their rockers.
That's the main reason why I hate them, they copletely got rid of hair metal, thoug hmost people might say that's a good thing, but not me! I love hair metal! Grunge on the other hand just bores the hell out of me for the most part, with AIC and Soundgarden being exceptions. I never understood the popularity of the whole my-life-sucks-and-I-want-to-kill-myself mentality that grunge and alterive bands, I mean I listen to music to to cheer me up, not to depress me.


I like hair metal but in the context of the era, it became too bloated and it had to die.
Yeah well, every type of music becomes oversaturated after a certain amount of time, it didn't take long for the same thing to happen to grunge, or alternative, or emo( one of my most hated types of music BTW) it's just inevitable for something to get overdone.


Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
What is the deal with all these polls about crappy metal bands?


Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:33 pm
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Well everyone else has had a spat with Vexer, I guess it's my turn....what exactly is the definition of emo? What makes a band an emo band?

*Edited for the quote mishap, sorry about that.


Last edited by stiefmo on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr