Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
2010 Oscar Buzz 
Post Re: 2010 Oscar Buzz
What do you think the odds are of Matt Damon getting a nom for "The Informant!"?

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:54 pm
The AV Club has their annual guide of Oscar contenders up. Makes for an interesting read:

Part 1: http://www.avclub.com/articles/oscarometertm-the-av-clubs-third-annual-guide-to-t,33455/
Part 2: http://www.avclub.com/articles/oscarometertm-the-av-clubs-third-annual-guide-to-t,33488/

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 pm
Do you guys think that the Best Movie category being expanded to 10 nominees will allow some of those better films that are released earlier in the year (you know, not during "Oscar season") to get a shot at...at least being nominated?

I'm not necessarily talking about this year in general (I haven't seen that many new releases, I couldn't say myself), but also in future years.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:38 pm
Director

ZachUMD wrote:
What do you think the odds are of Matt Damon getting a nom for "The Informant!"?

At the very least, Damon can get a golden globe nomination, the Academy people will have to remember this film by end of year.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:33 pm
Profile YIM
Producer

I don't see Damon getting an oscar nomination for his perf in The Informant. I'm sure he'll get a golden globe nomination but as far as an oscar nod goes, I think he has a far better chance getting the nod for Clint Eastwood's Invictus.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:14 pm
Director

I'd personally love to see Sharlto Copley get a "Best Actor" nom for his extraordinary performance in the heavily underrated District 9. His performance was the main reason why that movie was so good.

I'd also love to see Christoph Waltz receive a Best Supporting Actor nom, and possibly win, for his performance in Inglourious Basterds

As far as "Best Picture", the only movies that I've seen so far this year that I would call great are District 9, Inglourious Basterds, and Adventureland. None of which I think will get much recognition. I do have a lot of interest in checking out The Hurt Locker, which, from what I've been hearing, has a good chance to get a couple nominations from the Oscars this year.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
heavily underrated District 9.

Is that a joke? The movie has a 90% on RT (with an average rating 7.8/10) and an 80 on Metacritic (1 point shy of universal acclaim on that site).

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:08 pm
Director

Blace wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
heavily underrated District 9.

Is that a joke? The movie has a 90% on RT (with an average rating 7.8/10) and an 80 on Metacritic (1 point shy of universal acclaim on that site).

Wasn't going strictly by RT standards. Yes, it is a critically acclaimed movie, but like most movies that come out in the summer, I feel the Oscars will underrate it to death (see The Dark Knight of last year, 2008's best film) and give some period piece/drama (The Reader of last year) a nod over a summer smash. Plus, it seems everyone totally forgot about this film once Inglourious Basterds kicked in the door the next week and everybody fell in love with that. I just feel that most people regard 'Basterds' to be the summer's best film while it still might get only one nomination, but for District 9 you could make a case that it should get a Best Picture and Best Actor nom. But I don't think it will.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Has anyone who follows the Oscar Buzz heard anything about Agora? I'm really looking forward to it, but haven't heard any buzz from its release at the various film festivals (not a good sign, but not damning either). Either way, I like Rachel Weisz and I like what I've seen from Alejandro Amenabar, so I'll be watching this whenever it comes out. It'd be nice if it was good enough for awards though.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:06 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Has anyone who follows the Oscar Buzz heard anything about Agora? I'm really looking forward to it, but haven't heard any buzz from its release at the various film festivals (not a good sign, but not damning either). Either way, I like Rachel Weisz and I like what I've seen from Alejandro Amenabar, so I'll be watching this whenever it comes out. It'd be nice if it was good enough for awards though.

Alas, it has been pushed back to 2010. I think when it debuted at Cannes it got mixed reviews, so maybe AmenĂ¡bar is working on it. Or maybe he's not, as it's already out in Spain. The impression I've gotten from the people who've seen it is that it's good but not great, though it should be.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:28 pm
Pedro wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Alas, it has been pushed back to 2010. I think when it debuted at Cannes it got mixed reviews, so maybe AmenĂ¡bar is working on it. Or maybe he's not, as it's already out in Spain. The impression I've gotten from the people who've seen it is that it's good but not great, though it should be.

Thanks, Pedro. Guess I'll have to get my Weisz fix from The Lovely Bones.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:30 pm
Gaffer

Agora played at TIFF this year, and the reviews weren't spectacular. It doesn't surprise me that it's been pushed back.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:51 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]