Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 

What's your favorite video game company?
Nintendo 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
Sony 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
Microsoft 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Sega 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
I don't play video games cause I'm better than you 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36

Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Pedro wrote:
I'm not going to contribute to this silly argument, but I'm going to throw out there that DDR has made me lose weight and gain friends. If only all video games had a similar effect!

I will say, though, that while MrGuinness perhaps made some unfair generalizations, at least he was somewhat respectful. Your outrage, Vexer, is completely ridiculous and disrespectful and to put it bluntly, you need to calm the fuck down. The moderators put up with your occasional, if provoked, attacks on other people, but I can't deal with it anymore and they need to stop. I come on here to have a good time and discuss movies, not read your senselessly vitriolic posts. Pardon me if I'm annoyed.
Sorry, iI just HATE that stupid stereotype of gamers having poor social skills, it's a completely bullshit theory and i'm real sick and tired of hearing it, and I sure as hell didn't join this forum to be judged like that! :evil: I hear that kind of crap enough in real life, and I sure as hell don't need it online as well!

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:46 am
MrGuinness wrote:
I'm not going to get into this nonsense name calling. I work with 3500 children a year and I see this every day. I am very proud of all you 30+ somethingers who have their sh*t together so much that they can play games and be social, but ask any HS teacher about social skills these days and you will find one big mess.
You work with 3500 children per year? In what capacity? Are you a teacher? If so, what kind of schools? Do you run a program of some kind? If so, what is the program for? You have to understand that any sample you're getting your information from is susceptible to bias, especially if your sample isn't representative of the population at large.

Quote:
Each of you is completely going over the top and ass-u-ming I mean EVERYONE who plays a game is a dick, and I never said such a thing, nor though it. Yes, I am making some generalizations because they fit, and I see it every day.
The beef isn't that you're accusing everybody of fitting in with the generalization, but the generalization that you're making is going unproven by any reasonable degree of accuracy. Again, you're citing anecdotal evidence, which is worthless in discussions such as this. You see people everyday who play video games and have shitty social skills. I see people everyday who play video games and whose social skills are just fine, and so does apparently everybody else in this thread. That's anecdotal evidence. The lesson here is that the video games and the social skills aren't necessarily related, and almost certainly don't have a significant causal relationship.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:02 pm
Ken wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
I'm not going to get into this nonsense name calling. I work with 3500 children a year and I see this every day. I am very proud of all you 30+ somethingers who have their sh*t together so much that they can play games and be social, but ask any HS teacher about social skills these days and you will find one big mess.
You work with 3500 children per year? In what capacity? Are you a teacher? If so, what kind of schools? Do you run a program of some kind? If so, what is the program for? You have to understand that any sample you're getting your information from is susceptible to bias, especially if your sample isn't representative of the population at large.

Quote:
Each of you is completely going over the top and ass-u-ming I mean EVERYONE who plays a game is a dick, and I never said such a thing, nor though it. Yes, I am making some generalizations because they fit, and I see it every day.
The beef isn't that you're accusing everybody of fitting in with the generalization, but the generalization that you're making is going unproven by any reasonable degree of accuracy. Again, you're citing anecdotal evidence, which is worthless in discussions such as this. You see people everyday who play video games and have shitty social skills. I see people everyday who play video games and whose social skills are just fine, and so does apparently everybody else in this thread. That's anecdotal evidence. The lesson here is that the video games and the social skills aren't necessarily related, and almost certainly don't have a significant causal relationship.
eah, most of the time, mental conditions are the cause of poor social kids, I know for this for a fact due to haivng Aspberger's myself, I can talk to other people fine when someone starts a conversation with me, but i'm generally not very good at starting conversations myself. Now do you see why I take asinine and unproven generalizations like
that so personally?

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Ken wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
yeah, fuck computer games... mostly because if you have the time to play them, you have too much time on your hands.
I'm calling bullshit on this. I defy anybody to explain to me why video games are an intrinsically worse way for people to spend their leisure time than many of the other popular activities in our culture. Like watching movies, for example.

Yeah, but you usually contradict people just for the hell of it, so who cares.

Wow, looking back on this, dick post. Not that I renege the principle of the statement, since I think you always play devil's advocate to some degree with all of your arguments, but that is not reason for me to fly off the handle and get arrogant. However, upon reviewing...

Ken wrote:
Blizzard is responsible for World of Warcraft, which is built on the principle that gamers are so bored and have such addictive personalities that they're willing to overlook what a clunky, directionless waste of time it is.

I've rarely met the Wow fanatic who has had an 'addictive personality'. In fact, I'd say most are rather sterile and corpulent. Bad word choice, mayhaps?

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:47 pm
Perhaps I'll clarify my use of the term. A person with an addictive personality is simply a person with a propensity for psychological (not physiological) addiction. To a degree, this describes everybody. We all have a reward zone, and we all like to have that zone tickled once in a while. Some people just crave it more.

I'm not trying to paint all WoW players as being especially prone to addiction, though I think it's fair to say that some are. I am saying that Blizzard is depending on this particular element of human psychology to keep people into the game, because much of what is required to advance in the game bears an uncanny resemblance to addictive behavior.

It might be an accurate statement to say that I often contradict people, but I would say it's inaccurate that I do it for the hell of it. Questioning assumptions is a virtue, in my opinion.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:28 am
I voted Other, where other=Valve. I'm surprised a movie critic's forums didn't have somebody sticking up for the one game company who actually takes the time to craft a compelling story and cinematic gameplay structure.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:52 am
I went Other, since Activision, Ubisoft, Bungie, and Bethesda weren't mentioned. :) But I do feel that the other producers make decent games, depending on the content; Nintendo being the leader in the 'Something for Everyone' category. Also, I have been finding a gold mine here and there within the Indy releases for Xbox 360, especially P.B. Winterbottom.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:09 pm