Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:41 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 

What's your favorite video game company?
Nintendo 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
Sony 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
Microsoft 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Sega 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
I don't play video games cause I'm better than you 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36

Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 
Author Message
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Ken wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I've never played it, however, wouldn't your point apply to all MMORPGs? I just don't see why Blizzard has to take the blame here.
Perhaps it does, but WoW is both the most notorious one and the only one I've actually bothered to play, so I'm speaking from the data I have to work with.

ed_metal_head wrote:
From what I've heard they've at least tried to make it friendlier to the casual gamer. For instance, those who don't play for a while get experience points just for logging on. This prevents them from falling too far behind those who spend every living second on the game.
The ease of acquiring experience is a non-issue for me. The game is, quite literally, pointless. Winning battles is not a measure of skill, but of who has more people, more experience points (which are acquired through arbitrary menial tasks), and more endurance for massive levels of boredom and rote keystrokes. There's no overarching plot or set of tasks that will bring the gamer's efforts to any kind of ultimate fruition. Given its lack of crucial features, I'm not sure it even technically qualifies as a game.


I take your point. Still, I think you're being slightly harsh on them. Some of the same arguments could be made of other 'games' like The Sims. I believe that once the players are having fun the lack of goals shouldn't matter. Further, it seems a bit unfair to discount Blizzard entirely over one game. The few others I've played have all been enjoyable experiences. Hell, I still play Warcraft III and that game came out 7 years ago.


Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I'm sickened that Nintendo has as many as eight votes. It deserves nine less. The Nintendo Wii is the most bland concession to mainstream American laziness since the bean bag. Microsoft and Sony are easily the best, with my vote going to Microsoft for making the best console of this generation with the best gaming network around.


Xbox 360 failure rate is 54.2%, PS3 - 10.6%, Wii - 6.8%. "Furthermore, 41.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners suffered a second hardware failure after sending their console back to Microsoft for repair, according to the survey. PS3's second-failure rate was 14.7 percent, while the Wii's was 11 percent."

I own neither of the 3 consoles, but it may be that folks just want something that works.


Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:26 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Well my Core model 360 lasted me for 3 years, and strangely enough it WASN'T crippled by the RROD, no it had something to do with a burned out grpahics card or something like that, course that was my fault since I kept my 360 in an enclosed space for several months, so that probably contributed to it. But nevertheless, I didn't give up on the 360 cause of that, instead I bought a used core model form Ebay as it was much cheaper then buying a newer model, point is, not all 360s are guranteed to fail, I don't give a damn if the PS3 works better, it's still a pretty subpar system IMO, and i'd rather have a consle with a good selection of games and a high failure rate then a console with a low failuire rate and a mediocre selection of games.


Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:25 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Vexer wrote:
Well my Core model 360 lasted me for 3 years, and strangely enough it WASN'T crippled by the RROD, no it had something to do with a burned out grpahics card or something like that, course that was my fault since I kept my 360 in an enclosed space for several months, so that probably contributed to it. But nevertheless, I didn't give up on the 360 cause of that, instead I bought a used core model form Ebay as it was much cheaper then buying a newer model, point is, not all 360s are guranteed to fail, I don't give a damn if the PS3 works better, it's still a pretty subpar system IMO, and i'd rather have a consle with a good selection of games and a high failure rate then a console with a low failuire rate and a mediocre selection of games.


Wouldn't it cancel each other out? What good is a library of great games if the console keeps failing?


Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
ed_metal_head wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I'm sickened that Nintendo has as many as eight votes. It deserves nine less. The Nintendo Wii is the most bland concession to mainstream American laziness since the bean bag. Microsoft and Sony are easily the best, with my vote going to Microsoft for making the best console of this generation with the best gaming network around.


Xbox 360 failure rate is 54.2%, PS3 - 10.6%, Wii - 6.8%. "Furthermore, 41.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners suffered a second hardware failure after sending their console back to Microsoft for repair, according to the survey. PS3's second-failure rate was 14.7 percent, while the Wii's was 11 percent."

I own neither of the 3 consoles, but it may be that folks just want something that works.


Admittedly, the 360 has had it's fair share of issues (although I have never personally encountered any RROD), but from a pure video game standpoint, Nintendo's Wii holds next to nothing of interest to a gamer and more to the casual consumer, and in that circumstance, why not buy a Nerf ball and shed the pounds you won't be losing using rubbish Wii-motes to play virtua-tennis?

I'd say overall buying a PS3 is a smart option since it's price drop makes it not only a good purchase as a video game system (second most expensive) but a rather cheap Blu-ray option (considering it packs numerous dimensions of interactivity and entertainment with it).


Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:01 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well my Core model 360 lasted me for 3 years, and strangely enough it WASN'T crippled by the RROD, no it had something to do with a burned out grpahics card or something like that, course that was my fault since I kept my 360 in an enclosed space for several months, so that probably contributed to it. But nevertheless, I didn't give up on the 360 cause of that, instead I bought a used core model form Ebay as it was much cheaper then buying a newer model, point is, not all 360s are guranteed to fail, I don't give a damn if the PS3 works better, it's still a pretty subpar system IMO, and i'd rather have a consle with a good selection of games and a high failure rate then a console with a low failuire rate and a mediocre selection of games.


Wouldn't it cancel each other out? What good is a library of great games if the console keeps failing?
Not really, not all 360s are NOT guranteed to fail, mine lasted for 3 years and collapsed only due to my own neglect, so getting a used one for less then 100$ that works just fine makes a hell of alot more sense to me then blowing 300+ bucks on a PS3, especially considering it's mediocre game library and the fact that I couldn't give care less about Blu-Ray if I tried.


Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:43 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
I'm a pong guy.

yeah, fuck computer games... mostly because if you have the time to play them, you have too much time on your hands.


Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:59 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
MrGuinness wrote:
yeah, fuck computer games... mostly because if you have the time to play them, you have too much time on your hands.
I'm calling bullshit on this. I defy anybody to explain to me why video games are an intrinsically worse way for people to spend their leisure time than many of the other popular activities in our culture. Like watching movies, for example.


Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:29 am
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Cause video games are mostly mindless, usually violent, and completely unsocial. Movies, in your example, allow for contemplation, face to face interaction, laughter, and a MUCH more social use of this so-called leisure time.


Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 am
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Ken wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
yeah, fuck computer games... mostly because if you have the time to play them, you have too much time on your hands.
I'm calling bullshit on this. I defy anybody to explain to me why video games are an intrinsically worse way for people to spend their leisure time than many of the other popular activities in our culture. Like watching movies, for example.



Yeah, but you usually contradict people just for the hell of it, so who cares.


MrGuinness wrote:
Cause video games are mostly mindless, usually violent, and completely unsocial. Movies, in your example, allow for contemplation, face to face interaction, laughter, and a MUCH more social use of this so-called leisure time.



I smell sarcasm.... I hope :shock:


Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:19 am
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Evenflow8112 wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
Cause video games are mostly mindless, usually violent, and completely unsocial. Movies, in your example, allow for contemplation, face to face interaction, laughter, and a MUCH more social use of this so-called leisure time.
I smell sarcasm.... I hope :shock:


Not really....


Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:45 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1482
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
MrGuinness wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
Cause video games are mostly mindless, usually violent, and completely unsocial. Movies, in your example, allow for contemplation, face to face interaction, laughter, and a MUCH more social use of this so-called leisure time.
I smell sarcasm.... I hope :shock:


Not really....


I don't mind much about video games. It's a good way to burn two hours of boring time.


Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:21 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
MrGuinness wrote:
Cause video games are mostly mindless, usually violent, and completely unsocial.
Again, I'm calling bullshit. It is a fair assumption that games do exist that fit the above criteria, and it is a fair assumption that people do play them, but it is an unsound generalization to paint them all with that brush. I am going to guess that you do not have the ammunition to safely back up your claim, and that you're making it from a position of unjustified prejudice.

Perhaps you'll take a moment to consider the positive aspects of video games, such as problem solving, strategy, competition, cooperation, brain/body coordination, and so forth, before you dismiss it all as an activity for those who have "too much time." (What does that mean, exactly?) Or perhaps we should sit down and make a list of the negative characteristics of the many other ways people like to spend their free time, which can be easily done for movies, sports, television, art, and various other hobbies.

As long as they're not hurting anything, let's not get too judgmental about how people choose to spend their free time, and for fuck's sake, let's definitely not criticize anyone for having free time to spend. Technically, everybody who isn't spending every second of their waking day struggling to stay alive and procreate has time on their hands in abundance.


Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:59 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Ken wrote:
Again, I'm calling bullshit. It is a fair assumption that games do exist that fit the above criteria, and it is a fair assumption that people do play them, but it is an unsound generalization to paint them all with that brush. I am going to guess that you do not have the ammunition to safely back up your claim, and that you're making it from a position of unjustified prejudice.


I did say "mostly", which does not define ALL. But the generalization does hold water, as I deal with teenagers and the games they want to play regularly. It's quite pathetic.

Ken wrote:
Perhaps you'll take a moment to consider the positive aspects of video games, such as problem solving, strategy, competition, cooperation, brain/body coordination, and so forth, before you dismiss it all as an activity for those who have "too much time." (What does that mean, exactly?)


Perhaps you are overstating the qualities of people sitting at a computer screen for hours on end not using ANY social skills and usually doing something violent. You want to compare "problem solving, strategy, competition, cooperation, brain/body coordination" by yourself on a computer vs. out in the world with others? Even BOARD game playing promotes those skills better. Even Jame's D&D does, for christ's sake!

Ken wrote:
Or perhaps we should sit down and make a list of the negative characteristics of the many other ways people like to spend their free time, which can be easily done for movies, sports, television, art, and various other hobbies.


Granted... You aren't wrong in this, but again, I think if you compare,you will find more value in the movie experience...

Ken wrote:
As long as they're not hurting anything, let's not get too judgmental about how people choose to spend their free time, and for fuck's sake, let's definitely not criticize anyone for having free time to spend. Technically, everybody who isn't spending every second of their waking day struggling to stay alive and procreate has time on their hands in abundance.


I don't agree that they are not hurting anything. I think it is obvious that they are hurting their own social skills. I do not think violent games automatically beget a violent attitude, but I do think it doesn't promote peace either.


Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 am
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
MrGuinness wrote:
I did say "mostly", which does not define ALL. But the generalization does hold water, as I deal with teenagers and the games they want to play regularly. It's quite pathetic.
Anecdotal evidence is poor evidence, and highly susceptible to confirmation and hindsight biases.

Quote:
Perhaps you are overstating the qualities of people sitting at a computer screen for hours on end not using ANY social skills and usually doing something violent.
The violence of the subject matter is absolutely irrelevant. Dismissing even the majority of gamers as sitting in front of the computer screen for hours by themselves and exercising no social skills whatsoever is horseshit. You're completely dismissing games that are built with either cooperation or competition in mind, which are far too numerous to ignore, particularly in this day and age.

Not to mention, and I doubt you're aware of this, many games have social scenes built around them that span the world--and that's not even an exaggeration. While this is a phenomenon seen admittedly in more dedicated gamers, many popular games develop a competitive network of players who stage tournaments, at levels ranging from local all the way to international. This year's Evolution, for example, drew players from around the world. Many of them have built friendships and rivalries with one another that have lasted for over a decade, originating in their mutual appreciation for these games.

These are the nerdiest of the gaming nerds, the ones who bear the brunt of the negative stereotypes and the misconceptions. And yet, you cannot accuse these people of exercising no social skills.

Quote:
You want to compare "problem solving, strategy, competition, cooperation, brain/body coordination" by yourself on a computer vs. out in the world with others? Even BOARD game playing promotes those skills better. Even Jame's D&D does, for christ's sake!
Proof?

Quote:
Granted... You aren't wrong in this, but again, I think if you compare,you will find more value in the movie experience...
How's that? In movies, you're a passive observer, and your only interaction is between you and the screen until the feature is over. How is that more socially interactive than games, exactly? I'm not saying that games have greater value than movies, but I am saying that as a film enthusiast, you cannot base an argument against video games on their lack of social interactivity.

Quote:
I don't agree that they are not hurting anything. I think it is obvious that they are hurting their own social skills. I do not think violent games automatically beget a violent attitude, but I do think it doesn't promote peace either.
If you're admitting that the violent content is a neutral factor, then stop talking about it. As for their social skills, again, it's no argument to speak of, unless you can demonstrate empirically that games--as a rule--are harmful to the social lives of the gamers.


Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:26 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
I don't know where the hell you got that bullshit "games-hurt-your-social-skills" theory, but it's easily one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, I spend alot of time playing games on my computer, but it dosen't hamper my ability to talk to people one bit, in fact it actually helps me, so you Guiness can go ahead and go screw yourself if all your going to do is insult gamers for absolutely no reason whatsoever! :evil:


Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Granted I rarely play games nowadays, but they are certainly a more social pastime than people think. Some of my favourite moments are from arcade play with a crowd of people around. As far as I remember they didn't remain silent...at all. Sure, arcades are dying (or dead?) but LAN parties are still popular. I've made friends at a few. The great thing about a LAN party is the amount of banter before, during and after the game. Can you talk during the entire movie? Sure, but most people won't be too happy.


Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:39 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Vexer wrote:
I don't know where the hell you got that bullshit "games-hurt-your-social-skills" theory, but it's easily one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, I spend alot of time playing games on my computer, but it dosen't hamper my ability to talk to people one bit, in fact it actually helps me, so you Guiness can go ahead and go screw yourself if all your going to do is insult gamers for absolutely no reason whatsoever! :evil:


I'm not going to get into this nonsense name calling. I work with 3500 children a year and I see this every day. I am very proud of all you 30+ somethingers who have their sh*t together so much that they can play games and be social, but ask any HS teacher about social skills these days and you will find one big mess.

Each of you is completely going over the top and ass-u-ming I mean EVERYONE who plays a game is a dick, and I never said such a thing, nor though it. Yes, I am making some generalizations because they fit, and I see it every day.

OK, I am just going to agree to disagree with you guys. I am done with this thread. Have fun socializing and sharing in the killing sprees.


Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:09 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
MrGuinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I don't know where the hell you got that bullshit "games-hurt-your-social-skills" theory, but it's easily one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, I spend alot of time playing games on my computer, but it dosen't hamper my ability to talk to people one bit, in fact it actually helps me, so you Guiness can go ahead and go screw yourself if all your going to do is insult gamers for absolutely no reason whatsoever! :evil:


I'm not going to get into this nonsense name calling. I work with 3500 children a year and I see this every day. I am very proud of all you 30+ somethingers who have their sh*t together so much that they can play games and be social, but ask any HS teacher about social skills these days and you will find one big mess.

Each of you is completely going over the top and ass-u-ming I mean EVERYONE who plays a game is a dick, and I never said such a thing, nor though it. Yes, I am making some generalizations because they fit, and I see it every day.

OK, I am just going to agree to disagree with you guys. I am done with this thread. Have fun socializing and sharing in the killing sprees.
Well your nothing but an arrgant asshole with WAAAYYY TOO much free time! :evil: And you started this argument, so don't act all innocent and surprised when people start insulting you for acting like a total dickhead! And why the hell are you so goddamn obsessed with what we do in our free time anyways? It's none of your goddamn business, so yeah go ahead and leave! Nobody's gonna miss you anyways! :evil:


Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
I'm not going to contribute to this silly argument, but I'm going to throw out there that DDR has made me lose weight and gain friends. If only all video games had a similar effect!

I will say, though, that while MrGuinness perhaps made some unfair generalizations, at least he was somewhat respectful. Your outrage, Vexer, is completely ridiculous and disrespectful and to put it bluntly, you need to calm the fuck down. The moderators put up with your occasional, if provoked, attacks on other people, but I can't deal with it anymore and they need to stop. I come on here to have a good time and discuss movies, not read your senselessly vitriolic posts. Pardon me if I'm annoyed.


Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:54 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr