Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:33 pm

October 18, 2009: "Staying Home" 
Post Re: October 18, 2009: "Staying Home"
ed_metal_head wrote:
Egads! I wonder how poor Trevor will feel about a two page discussion of parking fees?

I love it!

Although really, I take public transit everywhere so I don't worry about parking. That means I never leave the Seattle metro area, but oh well.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm
Trevor wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Egads! I wonder how poor Trevor will feel about a two page discussion of parking fees?

I love it!

Although really, I take public transit everywhere so I don't worry about parking. That means I never leave the Seattle metro area, but oh well.

:lol: You know what I love? How James suddenly used "Egads" two posts after me. An obvious coincidence, of course. I bow to you superior creativity JB :D

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:42 pm
Vexer wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Have you ever been to Camden, NJ? I've heard alot of horror stories about that town and many people say that's it's one of the absolute worst places to live in the U.S.

Camden... egads. It's not too bad as long as you stay in a car moving along at 55 mph on the Admiral Wilson Boulevard and don't stop until you reach Philadelphia. Honestly, nuking the place would only improve that section of New Jersey - and this is from someone who has lived about a third of my life within 10 miles of the place. (One would also be well-advised to avoid the towns neighboring on Camden, like Pennsauken.)
Yeah that's not the first time i've heard someone say that, I think even th epeople living in Camden would agree with you, as they have to deal with horrible living conditions every day, and the stories of kids sturggling to grow up without reverting to selling drugs to make a living are absolutely heartbreaking, I can't imagine what's it's like there. one guy actually said it made his hometown look like paradise, and he was from Detroit! :shock: and when someone from a city that is frequently #1 on many lists of most dangerous cities to live in and has one of the highest murder rates, then that says alot!

Detroit is an interesting animal. As for Camden it's probably the only place I have never heard anything good about. People in the Philly ghettos think Camden sucks. Philly itself has some bad bad areas much like Detroit. Speaks wonders for Camden, eh?

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:34 pm
Bondurant wrote:
People in the Philly ghettos think Camden sucks. Philly itself has some bad bad areas much like Detroit. Speaks wonders for Camden, eh?

The philly area by Temple University was one of the worst area's I ever saw in my life, back in the early 90's

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
People in the Philly ghettos think Camden sucks. Philly itself has some bad bad areas much like Detroit. Speaks wonders for Camden, eh?

The philly area by Temple University was one of the worst area's I ever saw in my life, back in the early 90's

Indeed. I have not been around Temple myself but I know a woman that worked around there and she was attacked once and mugged at knifepoint another time near campus. I myself was strolling down Girard in north Philly. I stopped by a pizza joint to verify directions on where I was headed. When the guy found out I was on foot he looked at me like I was crazy and told me it wasn't a good place for a white guy to be walking alone at nearly 2am. He scared me into catching a cab. Such a shame what's happend to so many parts of our greatest cities.

On a sidenote it's interesting how this article discussion turned into the Mean Streets of Camden and Philly thread.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:13 pm
Honestly, do I need to see... ASTRO BOY?

You don't have to, but this one in particular pokes a hole in your argument in my opinion. I thought it looked like crap going in and it turned out to be second only to Up for the best family film of the year.

Can you trust the marketing for films? How can you tell what is worth seeing before you see it? The only real indication is when a studio doesn't do press screenings since even they don't believe in the movie then.
The trailers for Astro Boy gave absolutely NO indication that it would be of any interest to adult viewers. But hey, guess what, the actual movie isn't 2 minutes long like the trailer and there's a lot more to it.

I would be interested in what your criteria are for selecting which films to review. You are acting a little like it's obvious which one's aren't worth your time, throwing out titles like Gamer, etc. But it's not that cut and dried.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:48 am
Director

Trevor wrote:

You don't have to, but this one in particular pokes a hole in your argument in my opinion. I thought it looked like crap going in and it turned out to be second only to Up for the best family film of the year.

Can you trust the marketing for films? How can you tell what is worth seeing before you see it? The only real indication is when a studio doesn't do press screenings since even they don't believe in the movie then.
The trailers for Astro Boy gave absolutely NO indication that it would be of any interest to adult viewers. But hey, guess what, the actual movie isn't 2 minutes long like the trailer and there's a lot more to it.

I would be interested in what your criteria are for selecting which films to review. You are acting a little like it's obvious which one's aren't worth your time, throwing out titles like Gamer, etc. But it's not that cut and dried.

The producers are trying to make it into a family film when it's a more seroius movie. They have to stop marketing the movie so wrong; remember Kangaroo Jack.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:04 pm
Profile YIM
Trevor wrote:

Wow, high praise. I think I'll give it a go on DVD. Studios should stay clear of whoever marketed the film, because the trailers make it look terrible.

corpen11 wrote:
The producers are trying to make it into a family film when it's a more seroius movie. They have to stop marketing the movie so wrong; remember Kangaroo Jack.

I followed your point until you brought up Kangaroo Jack. I haven't seen it...what kind of movie was it then?

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:43 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Trevor wrote:

Wow, high praise. I think I'll give it a go on DVD. Studios should stay clear of whoever marketed the film, because the trailers make it look terrible.

corpen11 wrote:

I followed your point until you brought up Kangaroo Jack. I haven't seen it...what kind of movie was it then?

Kangaroo Jack is a film about teo men who has to pay a debt to the maffia in Australia. Go to Youtube and watch the tralier, the part with the talking kangaroo is only one minute of this 90 minute film.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile YIM
Yeah that trailer was pretty misleading and it certainly fooled me as a kid, fortunately the movie was enjoyable enough that it bother me too much. The trailer for Annapolis however is easily the most misleading movie trailer of all time, as half of the scenes in the trailer don't even appear in the actual movie! And it was marketed as a war movie when it was really a boxing drama, and a pretty poor one at that.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:49 pm