Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:47 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..." 
Author Message
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Well I think we all agree that Polanski was entirely wrong in his actions, no matter his method or his excuse.


He definitely should have asked Mr. Gittes his name before slicing up his nose. That is just common decency for your fellow man. I can barely contain the disgust rushing through my fingers as I type this.


Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:18 am
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Well I think we all agree that Polanski was entirely wrong in his actions, no matter his method or his excuse.


He definitely should have asked Mr. Gittes his name before slicing up his nose. That is just common decency for your fellow man. I can barely contain the disgust rushing through my fingers as I type this.


Yes.

Also, you are missed in the NBA thread.


Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:08 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3167
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
spencerworth34 wrote:
I'm not saying what Roman Polanski did was right. I'm just saying. There's a difference between getting a 13 year-old girl high and having sex with her, and "raping a child." It's not like he beat the crap out of her, dragged her into an alley and forced himself on her until she realized it would hurt less if she didn't fight it.


Read her testimony. It's abundantly clear this was not consensual, and that's the very definition of rape.

Here's the link


Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 972
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Has anyone thought that this may have been planned?

I remember reading a few weeks before Polanski's arrest that he wanted the charges dropped. How coincidental is that a few weeks after the fact that he raised the issue again he was finally arrested?

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3167
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
moviemkr7 wrote:
Has anyone thought that this may have been planned?

I remember reading a few weeks before Polanski's arrest that he wanted the charges dropped. How coincidental is that a few weeks after the fact that he raised the issue again he was finally arrested?


I don't think it was planned by Polanski. Only the wildest conspiracy theories would postulate that this is the way he elected to resolve the situation.

He's clearly frightened of returning to the United States. Otherwise, why would he be willing to sit in jail in Switzerland while fighting extradition (which could take years). The obvious answer: he feels more comfortable locked up in Switzerland than he would feel "facing the music" in Los Angeles.


Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 972
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
I'm not saying I believe it. I just think it was odd that this story started generating buzz again a month or so before he was arrested. I hope its just coincidence.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Did any of Polanski's lawyers at the time bring up the fact that, just before her account of the incident, Geimer says that because she was drugged she can't remember what happened?

Page 12:
Q: Why do you believe you were under the influence at that time?
A: I can barely remember anything that happened.
Q: Is there any other reason?
A: No...

No lawyer's just gonna let that go, especially not when the very next statements are so damning.


Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Pretty appalling, yet unsurprising, that such a large group of people would want a rapist to go free on the grounds that he has eluded justice (if you can call less than two months' imprisonment justice for stupefying and raping a child) for a long time. I say unsurprising because it really demonstrates what the general public should have known all along - a person may be able to sing, act or make a movie, but it does not make them an authority on anything else - including decency in this case. A bunch of overpaid entertainers forcing their opinion on the justice system should be met with "thanks, we will leave it to the legal experts".
Polanski has admitted this crime, but was too gutless to remain and face the consequences of his depraved behaviour. No matter how many movies he makes, he remains an unpunished rapist.


Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:23 am
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Wow, what a sensitive subject! I'll gladly say more dumb things!

This is how I look at the situation: Polanski is being re-tried for something that happened years ago, and the victim is saying she wants to drop the case to protect her family? I think also there is something where she at least needed money, which Polanski never gave her. I ave no clue what should or shouldn't happen.

Here is what makes me mad though: James B was angry because all of these film makers signed a petition, and said "shame on them". Isn't this their friend though? I could see if my friend committed a crime, I might know more details about the situation and it might look to OUTSIDERS that i am protecting a killer, rapist, theif, etc., but I know the person and the situation better than they do. Yes, that makes a difference I think. Do i think Polanski is innocent? Of Course not. But this is old news, according to the victim. Her opinion is all that matters to me.

It seems that people are wanting to demonize Polanski, and we feel like it is our right to do so. So when his friends stick up for him maybe we should not be so quick to judge "them". Not trying to start a fight or fan flames, but does anyone agree? :shock:


Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:40 am
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Doxxman wrote:
Wow, what a sensitive subject! I'll gladly say more dumb things!

This is how I look at the situation: Polanski is being re-tried for something that happened years ago, and the victim is saying she wants to drop the case to protect her family? I think also there is something where she at least needed money, which Polanski never gave her. I ave no clue what should or shouldn't happen.

Here is what makes me mad though: James B was angry because all of these film makers signed a petition, and said "shame on them". Isn't this their friend though? I could see if my friend committed a crime, I might know more details about the situation and it might look to OUTSIDERS that i am protecting a killer, rapist, theif, etc., but I know the person and the situation better than they do. Yes, that makes a difference I think. Do i think Polanski is innocent? Of Course not. But this is old news, according to the victim. Her opinion is all that matters to me.

It seems that people are wanting to demonize Polanski, and we feel like it is our right to do so. So when his friends stick up for him maybe we should not be so quick to judge "them". Not trying to start a fight or fan flames, but does anyone agree? :shock:


I understand your point, but the man ran from the law. That's my beef with him; he knew he was going to jail and he ran like a scared punk.


Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:54 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
corpen11 wrote:
Doxxman wrote:
Wow, what a sensitive subject! I'll gladly say more dumb things!

This is how I look at the situation: Polanski is being re-tried for something that happened years ago, and the victim is saying she wants to drop the case to protect her family? I think also there is something where she at least needed money, which Polanski never gave her. I ave no clue what should or shouldn't happen.

Here is what makes me mad though: James B was angry because all of these film makers signed a petition, and said "shame on them". Isn't this their friend though? I could see if my friend committed a crime, I might know more details about the situation and it might look to OUTSIDERS that i am protecting a killer, rapist, theif, etc., but I know the person and the situation better than they do. Yes, that makes a difference I think. Do i think Polanski is innocent? Of Course not. But this is old news, according to the victim. Her opinion is all that matters to me.

It seems that people are wanting to demonize Polanski, and we feel like it is our right to do so. So when his friends stick up for him maybe we should not be so quick to judge "them". Not trying to start a fight or fan flames, but does anyone agree? :shock:


I understand your point, but the man ran from the law. That's my beef with him; he knew he was going to jail and he ran like a scared punk.
Yeah, the main issue wasn't the rape , but Polanski running away from being punished for the rape.


Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
I understand your point, but the man ran from the law. That's my beef with him; he knew he was going to jail and he ran like a scared punk.
Yeah, the main issue wasn't the rape , but Polanski running away from being punished for the rape.


You two are literally vomiting into each other's mouthes, ala Moodysson. This is American machismo covered with legal red tape and sold as 'justice'. The fact that Polanski raped someone is the cause for fuss; the fact that he twisted Uncle Sam's jurisprudential nipples til' bruising for a good thirty years is supplemental at best.


Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:12 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
I understand your point, but the man ran from the law. That's my beef with him; he knew he was going to jail and he ran like a scared punk.
Yeah, the main issue wasn't the rape , but Polanski running away from being punished for the rape.


You two are literally vomiting into each other's mouthes, ala Moodysson. This is American machismo covered with legal red tape and sold as 'justice'. The fact that Polanski raped someone is the cause for fuss; the fact that he twisted Uncle Sam's jurisprudential nipples til' bruising for a good thirty years is supplemental at best.


You keep reminding me why I love you so much flow...


Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:16 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1318
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
You'd think having to live in France for 30+ years would be considered punishment enough. :lol: :twisted:

Obviously this is not a black-and-white issue (granted, very few things in life actually are...despite the claims of some), so I really don't know where to stand.


Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:22 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
You two are literally vomiting into each other's mouthes, ala Moodysson. This is American machismo covered with legal red tape and sold as 'justice'. The fact that Polanski raped someone is the cause for fuss; the fact that he twisted Uncle Sam's jurisprudential nipples til' bruising for a good thirty years is supplemental at best.[/quote]

You keep reminding me why I love you so much flow...[/

Don't make me sound like a jerk. He should be place in a jail cell from running away from justice. Wheter it's machismo or mot. Polanski should be shipped back to America.


Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
The LA Times recently summarised the events of the trial from beginning to present. It's an interesting read if you want to fill in some of the blanks, but be aware that it goes into a lot of graphic details:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-polanski25-2009oct25,0,5337333,full.story


Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:50 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
ed_metal_head wrote:
The LA Times recently summarised the events of the trial from beginning to present. It's an interesting read if you want to fill in some of the blanks, but be aware that it goes into a lot of graphic details:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-polanski25-2009oct25,0,5337333,full.story


Excellent link, Edward. I read this while eating lunch and thought I was going to have to stop eating about halfway through. The author goes a little overboard into sensationalist terriotory sometimes - and he clearly has no sympathy towards Polanski. However, the case isn't as black and white as it seems to be being portrayed. I mean, ultimately, didn't the prosecutors want Polanski out of the country? He's been gone for over 30 years, yet we somehow think it's necessary for him to come back and serve 40 something days under evaluation? He flouted the system, sure. By the letter of the law he should be brought back and held accountable for fleeing. But, if the goal was or him to be "voluntarily deported", what's all the uproar about? He did that to himself, and he's been gone for over 30 years. If I thought for one second that the justice system was doing this for the benefit of the victim, I'd be all for it, but that clearly isn't the case. It's turned into a pissing contest between the parties involved, none of which is the victim or Polanski. The entire saga is absolutely disgusting, and no longer has anything to do with a 13 year old getting raped, which is unfortunate.


Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:16 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3167
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
PeachyPete wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
The LA Times recently summarised the events of the trial from beginning to present. It's an interesting read if you want to fill in some of the blanks, but be aware that it goes into a lot of graphic details:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-polanski25-2009oct25,0,5337333,full.story


Excellent link, Edward. I read this while eating lunch and thought I was going to have to stop eating about halfway through. The author goes a little overboard into sensationalist terriotory sometimes - and he clearly has no sympathy towards Polanski. However, the case isn't as black and white as it seems to be being portrayed. I mean, ultimately, didn't the prosecutors want Polanski out of the country? He's been gone for over 30 years, yet we somehow think it's necessary for him to come back and serve 40 something days under evaluation? He flouted the system, sure. By the letter of the law he should be brought back and held accountable for fleeing. But, if the goal was or him to be "voluntarily deported", what's all the uproar about? He did that to himself, and he's been gone for over 30 years. If I thought for one second that the justice system was doing this for the benefit of the victim, I'd be all for it, but that clearly isn't the case. It's turned into a pissing contest between the parties involved, none of which is the victim or Polanski. The entire saga is absolutely disgusting, and no longer has anything to do with a 13 year old getting raped, which is unfortunate.


In order to get a reasonably accurate perspective of the entire situation, you have to delve into a lot of material about it. Most of the reports are slanted in one direction or another. The documentary, for example, is outrageously pro-Polanski. There's a lot of interesting and valuable information in there, but one has to weigh everything the director presents.


Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
James Berardinelli wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
The LA Times recently summarised the events of the trial from beginning to present. It's an interesting read if you want to fill in some of the blanks, but be aware that it goes into a lot of graphic details:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-polanski25-2009oct25,0,5337333,full.story


Excellent link, Edward. I read this while eating lunch and thought I was going to have to stop eating about halfway through. The author goes a little overboard into sensationalist terriotory sometimes - and he clearly has no sympathy towards Polanski. However, the case isn't as black and white as it seems to be being portrayed. I mean, ultimately, didn't the prosecutors want Polanski out of the country? He's been gone for over 30 years, yet we somehow think it's necessary for him to come back and serve 40 something days under evaluation? He flouted the system, sure. By the letter of the law he should be brought back and held accountable for fleeing. But, if the goal was or him to be "voluntarily deported", what's all the uproar about? He did that to himself, and he's been gone for over 30 years. If I thought for one second that the justice system was doing this for the benefit of the victim, I'd be all for it, but that clearly isn't the case. It's turned into a pissing contest between the parties involved, none of which is the victim or Polanski. The entire saga is absolutely disgusting, and no longer has anything to do with a 13 year old getting raped, which is unfortunate.


In order to get a reasonably accurate perspective of the entire situation, you have to delve into a lot of material about it. Most of the reports are slanted in one direction or another. The documentary, for example, is outrageously pro-Polanski. There's a lot of interesting and valuable information in there, but one has to weigh everything the director presents.


That's kind of what I was hinting at. Ed's link gives us an author who wants Polanski to be nailed for fleeing. The documentary you mentioned is referenced in the article and painted in a negative light for it's bias. This author is obviously unsympathetic to Polanski. I can't say I am sympathetic towards the man, but my initial call for justice has wavered. When I first became familiar with this case, I was all for bringing Polanski in to serve his punishment. The more I read, the more I realize his ultimate punishment was to be deported from the country, something he has done voluntarily for over 30 years. If the justice system has defined justice in this case to be voluntary deportation, what purpose does hunting the man down 30 years later halfway across the world serve? He needs to serve another 40 something days to finish a psychiatric study, then get deported again? Why does this all of a sudden, 30 years later, absolutely, positively have to happen? It's angry attorneys, judges, and cops all trying to "win", without anyone giving a shit about justice...AKA a pissing contest. They wanted the man exiled, he was for 30 years, and now, all of a sudden, it's a huge issue. It makes no sense and makes just as big of a mockery of the justice system as the intial sentence in this case.


Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:35 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
PeachyPete wrote:
Excellent link, Edward. I read this while eating lunch and thought I was going to have to stop eating about halfway through. The author goes a little overboard into sensationalist terriotory sometimes - and he clearly has no sympathy towards Polanski. However, the case isn't as black and white as it seems to be being portrayed. I mean, ultimately, didn't the prosecutors want Polanski out of the country? He's been gone for over 30 years, yet we somehow think it's necessary for him to come back and serve 40 something days under evaluation? He flouted the system, sure. By the letter of the law he should be brought back and held accountable for fleeing. But, if the goal was or him to be "voluntarily deported", what's all the uproar about? He did that to himself, and he's been gone for over 30 years. If I thought for one second that the justice system was doing this for the benefit of the victim, I'd be all for it, but that clearly isn't the case. It's turned into a pissing contest between the parties involved, none of which is the victim or Polanski. The entire saga is absolutely disgusting, and no longer has anything to do with a 13 year old getting raped, which is unfortunate.


Thanks Pieter. I just hope, that when it's all said and done, that the case isn't thrown out and Polanski is allowed to move around the U.S. as he pleases.


Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr