It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Poll #9 Metallica 

Which Metallica do you prefer
Old Metallica 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
New Metallica 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Poll #9 Metallica 
Post Re: Poll #9 Metallica
Harmonies? Melodic singing? Everything has a time and a place, which means that everything has a wrong time and place. Some music functions best as a blunt instrument.

Anyway, Metallica was at its best in the days of Kill 'Em All. Starting with Ride the Lightning, you get the pervasive sense that they're starting to take themselves a little too seriously. By AJFA, the energy and authenticity are gone. I blame success and age.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:52 pm
Ken wrote:
Harmonies? Melodic singing? Everything has a time and a place, which means that everything has a wrong time and place. Some music functions best as a blunt instrument.

Its called music. A blunt instrument? Ugh...

Ken wrote:
Anyway, Metallica was at its best in the days of Kill 'Em All. Starting with Ride the Lightning, you get the pervasive sense that they're starting to take themselves a little too seriously. By AJFA, the energy and authenticity are gone. I blame success and age.

I don't disagree with this actually, and I do approve of the way Metallica put their songs together as a band (as per the movie)

But all that being said, and in the vein of "metal", the one album by "The Awful Truth" is far superior to any album Metallica ever put out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awful_Truth_(album)

So is almost anything put out by Masters of Reality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Reality

Even Big Drill Car's "CD Type Thing" is more interesting! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Type_Thing

Metallica was metal for people who's ears were lacking and didn't have the patience to find the really great metal in the 80s .

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:09 am
MrGuinness wrote:
You're damn right, a blunt instrument. Different qualities to different situations. Sacrificing melody and harmony to attain a certain quality is one of countless valid ways of making music.

Quote:
I don't disagree with this actually, and I do approve of the way Metallica put their songs together as a band (as per the movie)
It is interesting to observe their arc. In the very early days, their music was very collaborative. Following the "U" curve, things grew more unilateral, with Hetfield handling the lion's share. They were basically rediscovering how to work together when the movie was made, though the resulting album was a giant piece of doody.

Quote:
Metallica was metal for people who's ears were lacking and didn't have the patience to find the really great metal in the 80s .
Metallica is something of a heavy metal training bra, no doubts there. But being one of the most publicly accessible metal bands doesn't make them bad. (A slew of bad albums and questionable touring packages, on the other hand...)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:22 pm
Ken wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
You're damn right, a blunt instrument. Different qualities to different situations. Sacrificing melody and harmony to attain a certain quality is one of countless valid ways of making music.[quote]

Even the syncopation and annoying and painful lyrics of (c)rap are more listenable than this noise. Bashing about trying to make an endless array of power chords sound like something coherent and failing miserably.

Sacrificing melody and harmony... nuff said.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 pm
MrGuinness wrote:

But all that being said, and in the vein of "metal", the one album by "The Awful Truth" is far superior to any album Metallica ever put out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awful_Truth_(album)

So is almost anything put out by Masters of Reality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Reality

Even Big Drill Car's "CD Type Thing" is more interesting! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Type_Thing

I'm not sure that any of these are even the same genres. Metal has its niches and Metallica confined themselves mostly to Thrash Metal (at least early on). I'm not as knowledgeable as you about underground bands, but the only comparable "popular" sound came from Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax and Sepultura.

Ever sipped from the cup of Doom or Death metal? I'm interested to know if you dislike those as much.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

I'm not sure that any of these are even the same genres. Metal has its niches and Metallica confined themselves mostly to Thrash Metal (at least early on). I'm not as knowledgeable as you about underground bands, but the only comparable "popular" sound came from Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax and Sepultura.

Ever sipped from the cup of Doom or Death metal? I'm interested to know if you dislike those as much.

Sepultura? I don't think they're as popular as the others you listed at least not in America. Besides, Metallica is much better than all those bands anyways...especially Slayer. I hate that band, I hate their music and I hate their fans who are idiots.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:03 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'm not as knowledgeable as you about underground bands, but the only comparable "popular" sound came from Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax and Sepultura.

Underground, huh? Whatever...

Dave Mustaine learned to sing and write coherent music after he left Metallica. I woudl not say I am a fan of Megadeath, but I respect him moreso...

Slayer & Sepultura are terrible.

I did some fan club design work for Anthrax. I wasnt a big fan, but they were managed by the same people as Urge Overkill was and I did a bunch of design work for them, so Anthrax used me for a short while.

I like Anthrax somewhat, though again, and like much of Thrash / Doom Metal, unless there is someone with writing chops or singing chops or playing chops beyond showing you how amazing they think they are with 5 chords, its all just noise for people who really are far more concerned with their own ego than with music.

And FWIW, it doesnt get much heavier than The Awful Truth. Masters of Reality takes that heavy thump and turns it into a beautiful porriage, and that Big Drill Car CD is super flashy and heavy. I will post a song from each if you want...

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:38 pm
As long as the topic is drifting that way, I'll go ahead and name Strapping Young Lad as my favorite metal band, and I'll name City as my favorite album by them. There's a fractured genius in being able to make music so uncompromisingly heavy, yet so damn listenable.

Between the two of them, Megadeth was always the better band than Metallica, but even Megadeth lost their way in the early 1990s. They peaked high and hard with Rust In Peace, and it was a fast fall from there.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm
Patrick wrote:
Sepultura? I don't think they're as popular as the others you listed at least not in America. Besides, Metallica is much better than all those bands anyways...especially Slayer. I hate that band, I hate their music and I hate their fans who are idiots.

I mostly agree. I prefer Metallica to all of those. Sometimes greatly. I like a couple Slayer songs, but aren't familiar enough with them to dismiss them outright. Reign in Blood ain't bad.

MrGuinness wrote:
Underground, huh? Whatever...

I didn't mean to disparage. It's just that I'm not familiar with most of those and am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the average rock/metal fan isn't either.

Ken wrote:
As long as the topic is drifting that way, I'll go ahead and name Strapping Young Lad as my favorite metal band, and I'll name City as my favorite album by them. There's a fractured genius in being able to make music so uncompromisingly heavy, yet so damn listenable.

Between the two of them, Megadeth was always the better band than Metallica, but even Megadeth lost their way in the early 1990s. They peaked high and hard with Rust In Peace, and it was a fast fall from there.

How do you feel about Devin Townsend's solo stuff? I'm sounding like a broken record here, but from the little that I've heard of SYL and solo-Townsend, I prefer solo-Townsend.

Megadeth is a band I'd like more if Dave was a better singer.

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 am
SYL and Devin's solo projects are very different animals. I couldn't cut one down in favor of the other, any more than I could prioritize the importance of the different sides to my own personality. His solo career is certainly more bountiful, though.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:36 am