Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
October 18, 2009: "Staying Home" 
Site Admin

Post Re: October 18, 2009: "Staying Home"
MrGuinness wrote:
Let's see...

$20 at Giants Stadium (even if you don't use stadium parking)
$1 an hour at my local art cinema
Free at my local multiplex
$6 per EVERY person for parking at PNC Bank Arts Center, even if you don't drive or are just a passenger. Its included in the price of every ticket.

OK, I am tired of this...

Phillies games are $12 at city lots; $20 at private lots - not a lot different.
Parking at local multiplexes is free.
As for the Arts Center - I haven't been there is a LONG time, but it used to be free when it was the "Garden State Arts Center." I guess when PNC bought the naming rights, things changed.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thanks for responding James. I'm glad to hear you're still writing because you like doing it, rather than because of habit/money. Though frankly I'm just glad you still write on a selfish level. :)

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
As for the Arts Center - I haven't been there is a LONG time, but it used to be free when it was the "Garden State Arts Center." I guess when PNC bought the naming rights, things changed.

IMMENSELY! It's a corporate police state posing as a live concert venue.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:58 pm
MrGuinness wrote:

Well it is in Newark which is a war zone.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:49 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Parking in Chicago is unbelievable as well, it got so ridiculous that my family actually started taking the train there instead and either walked or took Taxi's around the city whnever they wanted to spend the day there, parking there costs around 10-15 dollars an hour, insanity I tell you! :shock:

Really? I was at Chicago a few months ago and I noticed that the parking garages at least STARTED off at $20/hr. But I was at downtown Chicago if that's a factor.

Downtown Chicago is killer. Back in December I paid $16 at the AMC River East and that was validated.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:10 pm
BANKA wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

I visit Newark on a regular basis. Not as bad as people claim and the Italian hotdogs and the Ironbound food can't beat.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm
Bondurant wrote:
BANKA wrote:

I visit Newark on a regular basis. Not as bad as people claim and the Italian hotdogs and the Ironbound food can't beat.

It's actually in Holmdel, NJ, a peaceful country-ish area far away from Newark.

And Newark has the best Spanish food hands down.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:24 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
BANKA wrote:

Have you ever been to Camden, NJ? I've heard alot of horror stories about that town and many people say that's it's one of the absolute worst places to live in the U.S.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:42 pm
Director

What are some the stories, Vex. I've heard bad things about NJ, thanks Conan.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:22 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Well I first about Camden from the book"The 50 Absolutely Worst Places To Live In America by Josh Aiello, the author described how he was harrassed by local gangbangers while driving through one day, I forget the exact details but the author talked about how that despite having been to cities all over the U.S>, that it was one of the few times he was truly scared for his life, and other people in the book said that local cops would actually tell you NOT to stop at red lights or stop signs in order to avoid getting carjacked. But the biggest eye-opener to Camden would be that one episode of 20/20 that detailed how poor and underfunded Camden truly was adn described the awful conditions most families had to live, one fmaily had to sleep in a singel chair in a rundown boardinghouse infecested with cockroaches, and of course gangs and drug dealers are on virtually every street corner. And according to a national survey, Camden is technically the poorest city in the entire U.S.! :shock: Just Google the phrase "20/20" Camden, and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
BANKA wrote:

Shit I was thinking of NJPAC, that's in Newark, my bad.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 pm
I guess I am spoiled by Houston.

I live about 25 minutes from downtown, where, just a few blocks from each other, I can find Minute Maid Park and The Angelika. I have a favorite lot at Minute Maid that is one block away and $10. For The Angelika it is $7.00 at the underground parking structure on the very next block. The Angelika also validates, so my ticket is then only $2.50.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Vexer wrote:
Have you ever been to Camden, NJ? I've heard alot of horror stories about that town and many people say that's it's one of the absolute worst places to live in the U.S.
corpen11 wrote:

Camden on the whole is a sh*thole, but just like anywhere there are some nice interesting area's.

NJ is the most diverse state in the country, from the well known and well maligned Turnpike oil storage facilities (which consistently give us some of the best gas prices in the country), to the mostly GORGEOUS northwestern farm country part of the state (esp this time of year). Its a state with terrific beaches in the south, decent ski area's in the north and tremendous golf everywhere. Its the original east coast legal gambling mecca, Atlantic City, which these days is much nicer than it was in those days.

The best bagels in the entire world come from NJ, as does some of the best pizza and hot dogs. (Though the best pizza I ever had was in Denmark of all places).

NJ has 120(?) superfund sites, which shows you 1) how bad our government here is and 2) how much intense industry this state attracts. We also have the worst property taxes in the country. But again we have the lowest gas tax and proximity to jobs as well. Gotta take the good with the bad.

I am also pretty sure there is no better place for diversity of concerts and entertainment anywhere in the world, with NYC right here as well.

I guess I love the state I grew up in, even though I am headed for Charleston SC eventually.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:44 am
Perhaps with art house films you should be too woried if you only see them at home on Dvd.
After all this is how most of us will see them as well. So perhaps your reviews should reflect this.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:00 am
Why not review more "art house" DVDs? What does that have to do with driving to Philly?

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:41 pm
Egads! I wonder how poor Trevor will feel about a two page discussion of parking fees?

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:32 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Egads! I wonder how poor Trevor will feel about a two page discussion of parking fees?

Well he can do nothing but take it since our fearless leader has also discussed parking fees.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 pm
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:

Camden... egads. It's not too bad as long as you stay in a car moving along at 55 mph on the Admiral Wilson Boulevard and don't stop until you reach Philadelphia. Honestly, nuking the place would only improve that section of New Jersey - and this is from someone who has lived about a third of my life within 10 miles of the place. (One would also be well-advised to avoid the towns neighboring on Camden, like Pennsauken.)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Vexer wrote:

Camden... egads. It's not too bad as long as you stay in a car moving along at 55 mph on the Admiral Wilson Boulevard and don't stop until you reach Philadelphia. Honestly, nuking the place would only improve that section of New Jersey - and this is from someone who has lived about a third of my life within 10 miles of the place. (One would also be well-advised to avoid the towns neighboring on Camden, like Pennsauken.)
Yeah that's not the first time i've heard someone say that, I think even th epeople living in Camden would agree with you, as they have to deal with horrible living conditions every day, and the stories of kids sturggling to grow up without reverting to selling drugs to make a living are absolutely heartbreaking, I can't imagine what's it's like there. one guy actually said it made his hometown look like paradise, and he was from Detroit! :shock: and when someone from a city that is frequently #1 on many lists of most dangerous cities to live in and has one of the highest murder rates, then that says alot!

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:00 pm
Vexer wrote:
Yeah that's not the first time i've heard someone say that, I think even th epeople living in Camden would agree with you, as they have to deal with horrible living conditions every day, and the stories of kids sturggling to grow up without reverting to selling drugs to make a living are absolutely heartbreaking, I can't imagine what's it's like there. one guy actually said it made his hometown look like paradise, and he was from Detroit! :shock: and when someone from a city that is frequently #1 on many lists of most dangerous cities to live in and has one of the highest murder rates, then that says alot!

I don't know guys, I've walked through Camden lots of times, and I was never almost sexually assaulted by a gang member as part of an initiation in an oppressively dark alleyway where hopes and dreams have come to meet their doom.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next