Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22 am

Movie TICKETS please! 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Movie TICKETS please!
Figure out a way for us to buy movie tickets through your site, and for you to get a slice.

Make a deal with an established site (Fandango, movietickets.com) or hire someone to set it up independently.

Frankly, I'd rather give you more money than them.

Great site, great reviews, been reading you for years.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Post Re: Movie TICKETS please!
I hope you are going to have movie ticket sales on your new site, and reap the rewards of Capitalism! AH HA HA!

Seriously, can we buy movie tickets through your upcoming site?

Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 pm
What upcoming site? James, do you have something up your sleeve?

Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 am
Patrick wrote:
What upcoming site? James, do you have something up your sleeve?

thinking the same thing. only like this.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:43 am
Site Admin

I haven't looked into a partnership with a movie ticket selling organization. It's worth a shot, but my guess is they don't accept affiliates.

Sat May 23, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Turns out this was a good tip. Fandango offers an affiliate program with a 10 cent commission per ticket sold. I have to figure out the best way to implement this, but you can expect to see links appearing some time within the next week or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 am
Profile WWW

Wish you could implement this. Have a link on every review page to Fandango, or movietickets.com, or whoever gave you the best deal.

Nothing wrong with makin' money!

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:23 am
Billy Mays, is that you?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
Turns out this was a good tip. Fandango offers an affiliate program with a 10 cent commission per ticket sold. I have to figure out the best way to implement this, but you can expect to see links appearing some time within the next week or two.

Any reason this wanted implemented? Perhaps not such a good deal after all?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:10 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:

Any reason this wanted implemented? Perhaps not such a good deal after all?

I looked into implementing it; Fandango offers a reasonable partnership. However, it requires a limited amount of works regarding putting up the links, keeping them current, and removing them. Not a bad problem if the revenue stream is okay. However, the surprisingly pathetic performance of the amazon.com banners and links has convinced me that it's not worth the effort trying to do anything with Fandango. Currently, amazon is barely worth the effort. Fandango might net $5 to $10 a month, which would not be worth the effort.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
FWIW, I just went through and clicked every ad I could find on your site. We regular forum posters should have a requirement to do this once a week :)

And ANYONE but movietickets.com! They require extremely personal information, and are free to do whatever they want with it.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:53 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
FWIW, I just went through and clicked every ad I could find on your site. We regular forum posters should have a requirement to do this once a week :)

Quote:
Click fraud is a type of Internet crime that occurs in pay per click online advertising when a person, automated script or computer program imitates a legitimate user of a web browser clicking on an ad, for the purpose of generating a charge per click without having actual interest in the target of the ad's link. Click fraud is the subject of some controversy and increasing litigation due to the advertising networks being a key beneficiary of the fraud.

A secondary source of click fraud is non-contracting parties, who are not part of any pay-per-click agreement. This type of fraud is even harder to police, because perpetrators generally cannot be sued for breach of contract or charged criminally with fraud. Examples of non-contracting parties are:

Friends of the publisher: Sometimes upon learning a publisher profits from ads being clicked, a supporter of the publisher (like a fan, family member, or personal friend) will click on the ads to help. This can be considered patronage. However, this can backfire when the publisher (not the friend) is accused of click fraud.

It's a bit of a grey area, but James can be accused of click fraud if he encourages members to blindly click on ads. Do your part to help, but remember there can be such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:21 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
James can be accused of click fraud if he encourages members to blindly click on ads. Do your part to help, but remember there can be such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Thats why I said it, and he didn't :)

Click Fraud... what a joke. How about Advertising Integrity, or is that too much to ask?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 pm