Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..." 
Author Message
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Well If the victim wants the rape charges dismissed then that's understandable, but I still think Polanski should get jailed for evading authorities for over 30 years.


Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:07 am
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Vexer wrote:
Well If the victim wants the rape charges dismissed then that's understandable, but I still think Polanski should get jailed for evading authorities for over 30 years.


That's what I believe also. He ran from the law and the law has the chance to put him in jail.


Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:31 am
Profile YIM
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
ed_metal_head wrote:
Polanski has apparently traveled to Switzerland several times since he fled and each time the US tried to get him extradited. Why did the Swiss authorities suddenly have a change of heart? I'm not saying he shouldn't be arrested, I just think the circumstances are a bit curious.
Aside from the other factors already mentioned, I've heard speculation that the Swiss are a little more open to cooperating with the U.S. these days, after harboring the offshore accounts that allowed our white collar criminals to contribute to the sagging economy.

Unke wrote:
The signees of the petition should wonder: If Polanski had been a paedophile catholic priest, how would they react if the Pope would have signed a similar petition?
Not a great example, considering the Catholic church's questionable handling of a good number of pedophile priest cases.


Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:36 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
I like the irony of the victim wanting the case dropped bacause of intrusion into her personal life, since Polanski caused the intrusion by first, drugging and raping her then making it a media sensation by fleeing to France for thirty years. If he had taken his smallish punisment in 1979 this would all be forgotten about a year later. If she really wants closure to this whole affair, Polanski has to return and complete his sentance. Game Over.


Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:45 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
People don't create media sensations. Media create media sensations. Whatever crimes Polanski is guilty of, sending reporters to hound this woman and her family for decades is not one of them.


Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:15 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Not caring for the victims tells me all i need to know about u guys, byeeee.


Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:57 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Ken wrote:
People don't create media sensations. Media create media sensations. Whatever crimes Polanski is guilty of, sending reporters to hound this woman and her family for decades is not one of them.


Thats like saying 'Guns don't kill people, bullets do.' It all started with his rape of the poor girl, it will end only with his incarceration. The media only give people what they want, and they will trawl the gutter to give it to them.

preford wrote:
Not caring for the victims tells me all i need to know about u guys, byeeee.


Intelligent debate does not imply a lack of caring. You won't be missed.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:25 am
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm
Posts: 18
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
James was wise to wait a few weeks after the story broke to make any sort of comment or produce an opinion. This was a thoughtful and respectful article.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:16 pm
Profile
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Zedferret wrote:
Thats like saying 'Guns don't kill people, bullets do.' It all started with his rape of the poor girl, it will end only with his incarceration. The media only give people what they want, and they will trawl the gutter to give it to them.
Not so. In fact, the gun analogy would be better applied to your argument, which would hold the gun manufacturer responsible for a shooting.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:51 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Ken wrote:
Zedferret wrote:
Thats like saying 'Guns don't kill people, bullets do.' It all started with his rape of the poor girl, it will end only with his incarceration. The media only give people what they want, and they will trawl the gutter to give it to them.
Not so. In fact, the gun analogy would be better applied to your argument, which would hold the gun manufacturer responsible for a shooting.


You should hold the person using the gun responsible, not the gun or the gun manufacturer.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:15 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
As far as miscarriages of justice go, this is still much better than what happened to Plaxico Burress, who is literally going to jail for 2 years because he found a new, unfortunately public method of self-mutilation. That angers me to no end.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:13 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Evenflow8112 wrote:
As far as miscarriages of justice go, this is still much better than what happened to Plaxico Burress, who is literally going to jail for 2 years because he found a new, unfortunately public method of self-mutilation. That angers me to no end.


Well, it's not like they invented a crime or punishment for Burress. Was he punished more harshly because of his fame? Without question. But it's hardly a miscarriage of justice -- it's not like he didn't put anyone in danger.

Everyone points to the Stallworth case, and I agree that when you compare the two cases it seems off. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Burress case is screwed up, only that the Stallworth case was.

Would I personally have given Plax two years? No. But I also don't get the uproar over this.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:12 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Shade wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
As far as miscarriages of justice go, this is still much better than what happened to Plaxico Burress, who is literally going to jail for 2 years because he found a new, unfortunately public method of self-mutilation. That angers me to no end.


Well, it's not like they invented a crime or punishment for Burress. Was he punished more harshly because of his fame? Without question. But it's hardly a miscarriage of justice -- it's not like he didn't put anyone in danger.

Everyone points to the Stallworth case, and I agree that when you compare the two cases it seems off. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Burress case is screwed up, only that the Stallworth case was.

Would I personally have given Plax two years? No. But I also don't get the uproar over this.



Personally, I think enforcing the law for the law's sake is ridiculous. An individual case must be considered, not the ability to 'make an example' of a person. If it's justice you really want to serve, then the sentence should make sense from a more practical standpoint. Is Plaxico Burress dangerous to you, me, or anyone else? Really, although it is nice to mention aside the case, I think it's sad that we need Stallworth's truncated sentence to point out how laughable Burress' is. What if he experiences a traumatic event in prison and becomes a troubled individual? Was it worth making an example then? The people who blindly believe in justice regardless of human consequence would never admit being wrong, and he would slip into a recess of drug addiction, mental illness, and maybe even poverty, eventually. Because he shot himself in the leg. He could die an 82 pound skeleton on the skirts of a city. But that's worth your precious justice, your unerring sense of trust in a broken system? I'm sick of people alleviating all responsibility in the sake of socially accepted justice to torture and manipulate the natural fabric of life in their narrow-minded, unquestioned image. I'm being dramatic, yes, but actions carry consequences. Why be irresponsible with a human life? You have to give me something better than legal letters. You need to reach me more deeply than technical jargon. That the sentence is over a few months is slightly ridiculous; that it is over a year long is utterly sadistic.


As for Polanksi, I agree very much that he should have to face the music at some level. Phil Spector wasn't spared, I believe justifiably, so why should he? I don't see any precedent which lets Polanski off the hook. However, do I care that he jumped a bunch of imaginary political lines to evade justice? Don't bore me.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:50 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Here's the punchline Evenflow, Stallworth could be playing for the NFL next year while Burriss is still in jail and people think Mike Vick is the most evilest guy in America; keep this in mind, I bet that there won't be any protestors for Donte next year if he wants to play.


Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Personally, I think enforcing the law for the law's sake is ridiculous. An individual case must be considered, not the ability to 'make an example' of a person. If it's justice you really want to serve, then the sentence should make sense from a more practical standpoint. Is Plaxico Burress dangerous to you, me, or anyone else? Really, although it is nice to mention aside the case, I think it's sad that we need Stallworth's truncated sentence to point out how laughable Burress' is. What if he experiences a traumatic event in prison and becomes a troubled individual? Was it worth making an example then? The people who blindly believe in justice regardless of human consequence would never admit being wrong, and he would slip into a recess of drug addiction, mental illness, and maybe even poverty, eventually. Because he shot himself in the leg. He could die an 82 pound skeleton on the skirts of a city. But that's worth your precious justice, your unerring sense of trust in a broken system? I'm sick of people alleviating all responsibility in the sake of socially accepted justice to torture and manipulate the natural fabric of life in their narrow-minded, unquestioned image. I'm being dramatic, yes, but actions carry consequences. Why be irresponsible with a human life? You have to give me something better than legal letters. You need to reach me more deeply than technical jargon. That the sentence is over a few months is slightly ridiculous; that it is over a year long is utterly sadistic.


You're putting a ton of words in my mouth, dude. I understand you're pissed and that's fine, but don't use my point to go off on the people who believe deeply in the value of our justice system. I never said that I agree with Burress's punishment. I never said anything about justice.

First of all, what Burress did was more than simply make a mistake -- had he shot himself in his home it would have been a whole different story. He put people in danger through (properly) illegal activity. If he had shot the floor or accidently shot someone else, this would be a whole different story. The law shouldn't punish him for what might have happened, but it can't ignore the situation either. A repeat drunk driver who crashes into a sidewalk shouldn't benefit from the fact that he got lucky and didn't hurt someone.

Burress was the first one to be unresponsible with a human life. If he doesn't make a mistake, none of this happens.

Burress could experience a "traumatic event" even if he spent just a night in prison. So should we not send him at all, because of what might happen?

I'm not standing on any weird legal jargon. But we have to have a standard, don't we?

Quote:
I don't see any precedent which lets Polanski off the hook. However, do I care that he jumped a bunch of imaginary political lines to evade justice? Don't bore me.


I really don't care if I'm boring you, but come on: the law has to be a factor, right? Would you rather we just judge the crimes based on how we feel about them? Based on feelings? If so, you're doing exactly what the judges in the Polanski and Burress cases: allowing emotions and agendas to make decisions for you.

Look, I promise that I know our justice system is messed up almost beyond repair. I'm not saying anything different.


Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:14 am
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
I'm not saying what Roman Polanski did was right. I'm just saying. There's a difference between getting a 13 year-old girl high and having sex with her, and "raping a child." It's not like he beat the crap out of her, dragged her into an alley and forced himself on her until she realized it would hurt less if she didn't fight it.


Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
spencerworth34 wrote:
I'm not saying what Roman Polanski did was right. I'm just saying. There's a difference between getting a 13 year-old girl high and having sex with her, and "raping a child." It's not like he beat the crap out of her, dragged her into an alley and forced himself on her until she realized it would hurt less if she didn't fight it.


Aww, well that makes things better for Roman, right? :lol:


Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
spencerworth34 wrote:
I'm not saying what Roman Polanski did was right. I'm just saying. There's a difference between getting a 13 year-old girl high and having sex with her, and "raping a child." It's not like he beat the crap out of her, dragged her into an alley and forced himself on her until she realized it would hurt less if she didn't fight it.


This is rendered moot by the simple point that the victim continually said "no" throughout the process. She would have ben fighting back if the drugs hadn't incapacitated her. If anything, to me this is more disgusting: Polanski willingly "tricked" himself by making sure she could not physically resist him. Perhaps he was afraid he wouldn't be able to go through with it if she fought back physically. So he drugged her up.

Yeah, I'm honestly equally if not more disgusted by Polanksi doing it this way.


Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:03 pm
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
Harvery Weinstein letter

These celebrities and Hollywood figures are making me sick in this past week since the arrest. Between Whoopi's "Rape-Rape" and Harvey's "so-called crime" i'm not sure which one needs a kick in the ass first.

I pretty much agree with James' thoughts on the matter and he pretty much nailed everything I've discussed amongst friends and colleagues about the subject. Time to finally face the music Mr. Polanski.


Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:03 am
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
I don't particularly respect Harvey Weinstein or Whoopi Goldberg, but seeing Martin Scorsese's name on that petition was enormously disappointing. I'd have hoped that his tremendous artistic integrity would carry over into other aspects of his personality.


Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:47 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr