Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..." 
Post Re: October 01, 2009: "From 'Wanted and Desired' to 'Reviled..."
HA! Just happened to check the Los Angeles Times website.

BREAKING NEWS: Polanski agreed to pay victim $500,000 after fleeing...

Nice. Another reason the rich and famous can get away with shit like this. Just pay them off...or try to, at least.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:39 pm
Site Admin

ram1312 wrote:
HA! Just happened to check the Los Angeles Times website.

BREAKING NEWS: Polanski agreed to pay victim $500,000 after fleeing...

Nice. Another reason the rich and famous can get away with shit like this. Just pay them off...or try to, at least.

I haven't checked the TIMES website, but it's fairly well-known that their was an out-of-court settlement to a civil lawsuit filed by the victim against Polanski decades ago. That's probably what this is referring to. If the LA TIMES considers this to be "breaking news," then it must be reaching its sources by earthworm express.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
but it's fairly well-known that their was an out-of-court settlement to a civil lawsuit filed by the victim against Polanski decades ago. That's probably what this is referring to. If the LA TIMES considers this to be "breaking news," then it must be reaching its sources by earthworm express.

Yeah, but until now, the amount she was paid wasn't known.

from the times(odd that she only filed suit in 1988. and odd that she only started saying he shouldn't have to face any more jail time in 1997)

Quote:
Geimer filed the civil lawsuit in 1988, accusing the director of, among other things, sexual assault, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction. Polanski was deposed in Paris in 1993.

In October 1993, Polanski agreed to pay Geimer $500,000 with interest, according to the settlement documents. He was given two years to pay. But her attorneys said in a filing that the director missed the 1995 deadline. At one point, her attorneys attempted to garnish wages to Polanski from movie studios, his agent and the Screen Actors Guild, the records show.

The case file does not make clear if Polanski paid Geimer. The last document in the file is an August 1996 statement saying the director still owed her $604,416.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:50 pm
Kudos, James. I hope everyone signing this BS petition gets it thrown right back in their face.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
I don't understand why he ran.
It looks as if he would only be in Jail for 40 days.
Once it was finished he would be free to do whatever he wanted in Europe.
He would still have made his films and continued working.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:03 pm
p604 wrote:
I don't understand why he ran.
It looks as if he would only be in Jail for 40 days.
Once it was finished he would be free to do whatever he wanted in Europe.
He would still have made his films and continued working.

Actually I think he was only supposed to undergo some sort of psychiatric evaluation (in confinement for over a month), which he in fact did. Supposedly he was tipped off that the judge wasn't going to honour the plea bargain and send him to jail after all so he fled.

Unke wrote:
Shade wrote:
Quote:
In addition, according to Swiss law, a statute of limitation applies to Polanski's crime. It is highly unusual, that a state would extradite a person for a crime, which is prescribed in its own country (although the U.S.-Swiss extradition treaty allows for this).

Well first of all, the crime occured in the US so that's where the statute matters.

As such, by running from the law, he is guilty of that crime, and according to American law, essentially "freezes" the statute.

Sorry, that argument is wrong. The U.S.-Switzerland extradition treaty stipulates (Art. 2 para. 1): "An offense shall be an extraditable offense only if it is punishable under the laws of both contracting parties by deprivation of liberty for a period exceeding one year." Based on this provision alone, it could be argued that a criminal offense, which is prescribed by law in Switzerland, is no longer punishable under the laws of both contracting parties (i.e. the U.S. and Switzerland). The statute of limitations in the U.S. is only the decicive factor, because this can be deduced e contrario from Art. 5 (which prohibits extradition if the criminal offence is prescribed in the Requesting State). There are extraditon treaties which do not contain similar clauses. It is indeed widespread international practice, not to extradite persons, whose crime is already prescribed in the requested state (i.e. the extraditing state).

However, my point is, that the U.S. authorities have, for no apparent reason, waited a long time to have an international arrest warrant issued for Polanski.

This has nothing to do with celebrity support of Polanski. I find it highly irritating that some people seem to think that the case should be dropped because of his artistic achievements.

As for the case against Polanski itself, I don't know enough facts to form an opinion. That being said, I wonder if it is at all possible to have a fair trial in the light of all the publicity.

Shade...dude...stop arguing law with a lawyer. You'll just end up looking bad.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 pm
Everyone knows statutory rape isn't really rape. Yeah its wrong to have sex with a minor, but you can't even compare it to violently forcing someone to have sex with you.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:42 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
Everyone knows statutory rape isn't really rape. Yeah its wrong to have sex with a minor, but you can't even compare it to violently forcing someone to have sex with you.

Awww...it's so adorable that you conveniently left out that Roman drugged her and then did her while she screamed NO repeatedly.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:48 pm
Unke wrote:
The signees of the petition should wonder: If Polanski had been a paedophile catholic priest, how would they react if the Pope would have signed a similar petition?

(Damn, there's no icon for clapping hands...) You nailed it completely; this is double standard at its most disgusting. A serial killer who finds a cure for cancer is still a serial killer.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:48 am
Patrick wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:

Awww...it's so adorable that you conveniently left out that Roman drugged her and then did her while she screamed NO repeatedly.

Spence, plase.
This is not a case of two teenagers having sex when one is slightly over legal age and the other slightly under it. If I recall well, that crime was comitted against me by an "experienced woman" three months my senior, and the only sequel I suffered was a big stupid smile on my face.
No, we're talking 30 to 13 here: even if that kid is crawling all over you and humping your face -which, as Patrick points out, was not quite exactly the case- you keep it in your pants and call her dad to take her home already.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:07 am
I must say i didnt like the reasoning going from that Polanski is accused of serious charges, to stating he not only raped and drugged the girl, he also is not punished for it. People will admit to lots if they are promised less punishment.
As for the victim, she might be one of the signers on the petition since she wants the case dismissed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/1 ... 57391.html

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:05 am
Thank you for the commentary on Polanski, JB. I had lost hope than anyone in Hollywood or the press had any backbone or integrity. I will never be able to look at Scorsese the same again. This petition is a joke.

I have doubts he'll do any time but give many props to the Swiss for at least giving Roman a damn good scare.

BTW...found this tidbit in the eonline article posted earlier.

"Other stars have simply offered verbal defenses of Polanski. Whoopi Goldberg recently said on The View that the director wasn't guilty of "rape-rape."

"It was something else, but I don't believe it was rape-rape," Goldberg said."

WTF....

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 am
WTF! Rape-rape?! Lol...that's absurd...

"Well your honor i'm guilty of murder, but not murder-murder...so it's not as bad."

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:02 am
I feel obliged to begin this by saying that I definitely do not support Roman Polanski's behavior, and believe him to be a criminal.

Quote:
It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him.
By their extraterritorial nature, film festivals the world over have always permitted works to be shown and for filmmakers to present them freely and safely, even when certain States opposed this.
The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance, undermines this tradition: it opens the way for actions of which no-one [sic] can know the effects.

The problem people have with how Polanski was captured is that the organizers of the Zurich Film Festival feel as if their festival has been exploited somehow. Their artistic integrity is on the line. Their argument is that these festivals by their very nature should be neutral on all matters except that of art. It doesn't seem to me that they are in any way condoning Polanski's actions, but expressing displeasure that they were used as the 'bait' in this situation.

Polanski seems to have ignited the Elia Kazan paradox, wherein the reprehensibility of someone's behavior is independent of the respectability of the art they produce.

At the very least, Samantha Geimer has said repeatedly that the circus revolving around this case has been as bad or worse than enduring the actual crime, and has repeatedly called for all charges to be dropped, so she can finally just go about her life. Why have people stopped listening to the victim?

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 am
Director

If Roman Polanski serves his time in jail starting in the 70s, then I wouldn't have any beef with him; he took his jail time like a man. I'm mainly angry that a petition is being served for his release in custody as if he's wrongfully placed in jail. Child, please.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:50 am
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
If Roman Polanski serves his time in jail starting in the 70s, then I wouldn't have any beef with him; he took his jail time like a man. I'm mainly angry that a petition is being served for his release in custody as if he's wrongfully placed in jail. Child, please.

That's kinda sad. Even if he did time people should still be pissed at him. He raped a young girl. No one would say the same thing about a normal average joe convicted of rape. Once a rapist, always a rapist.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:23 pm
I'm not sure I agree or disagree on the matter. I do know that for years I've been irritated with people calling Polanski a coward for fleeing to France when he was charged with his crime. It seems very high and mighty of people to blame him for something they'd probably do themselves (fleeing, not the rape). As for the petition, I find it hard to believe that such intelligent, well spoken people as Woody Allen, Terry Gilliam, and Guillermo del Toro would jump to Polanski's defense without a good reason (perhaps the fact that the victim herself has asked that the case be dismissed has something to do with it). As for me, I say let him go- it was over 30 years ago and again, the victim wants the whole thing thrown away.

And let's face facts- isn't one of the best things about being famous that you're kinda above the law? Anybody who says that they wouldn't commit a crime even if they knew they could get their high priced lawyers to get them off is a liar- plain and simple.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:56 pm
Quote:
No one would say the same thing about a normal average joe convicted of rape.

In 1978, Polanski and his lawyers reached a plea deal with Geimer's lawyers and the judge. Polanski learned that the judge, in a bit of political grandstanding, was actually going to sentence him to far more time than had been agreed upon. This is why he fled America. Would that have happened to an "average joe"?

So, though I am not sure I agree, I can see why some people may feel he is being detained unfairly. I do feel he was captured under very dubious circumstances.

@Porcis: Would I commit a crime if I knew I was above the law? Maybe. But I wouldn't commit that crime. Hell, no.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:07 pm
Director

Bondurant wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

That's kinda sad. Even if he did time people should still be pissed at him. He raped a young girl. No one would say the same thing about a normal average joe convicted of rape. Once a rapist, always a rapist.

I wouldn't be throwing a party for the man if he's out of jail, but take your shit as a man and do your time. He ran and that's a big reason why he should be in jail right now. Do your time and I have nothing more to say about your life, that's what I mean.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile YIM
I will start by saying that I don't know much about the details of the Polanski rape case. Certainly, there seems to be evidence that indicates Polanski was guilty of rape. Even so, from what I have heard so far, I wish the American authorities would just "let it go". Not because Polanski is famous, not because he is a talented director and not because of the tragedies he has endured. Rather, because of his victim. NeighborTotoro put it eloquently enough:

NeighborTotoro wrote:
At the very least, Samantha Geimer has said repeatedly that the circus revolving around this case has been as bad or worse than enduring the actual crime, and has repeatedly called for all charges to be dropped, so she can finally just go about her life. Why have people stopped listening to the victim?

It's been 30 years and I honestly do not think that Geimer has gained any increased desire towards reopening old wounds. Her and Polanski are said to have reached a settlement out of court as indicated here. Furthermore while you may becry this petition as special treatment for a celebrity, consider that Polanski's escape seems to have been due to that same kind of special treatment (only unfavourable) from the grandstanding judge during the trial. So for him at least the celebrity seems to work both ways.

Obviously, Polanski's crime was abhorrent. However, 30 years have passed. 30 years during which both the victim and the perpetrator have tried to move on. Now they're both forced to face old demons (if it does come to trial, imagine Geimer called as a witness). For what? I am not advocating special treatment for Polanski. I would say the same if the perpetrator's name was John Doe. I am simply saying that in this particular case, dragging Polanski and the subsequent charges back to the United States for a subsequent hearing and possible trial with the ensuing media circus frenzy does not strike me as the best nor most reasonable course of action. That seems more like fullfilling the needs of the state rather than of "justice" for the victim.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:45 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next