Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Evenflow8112 wrote:
By the way - did Joseph Addai get injured, or is he really that awful? I really can't believe how unimportant he is to the Colts offense. He's their biggest playoff liability (the run 'D' notwithstanding).

He definitely wasn't hurt and looking at how much better Donald Brown was in the game last night (he had that 15 yd TD run and few other solid 4-5 yd runs when we needed them) I'm hoping Donald Brown gets more time in the next few games because he is a great prospect. He did lead the NCAA in rushing yards last year. Addai is a very good blocker and catcher, but he is not a very good runner from behind the QB. He is just isn't a power runner and that is what the Colts need.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 am
Blace wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
By the way - did Joseph Addai get injured, or is he really that awful? I really can't believe how unimportant he is to the Colts offense. He's their biggest playoff liability (the run 'D' notwithstanding).

He definitely wasn't hurt and looking at how much better Donald Brown was in the game last night (he had that 15 yd TD run and few other solid 4-5 yd runs when we needed them) I'm hoping Donald Brown gets more time in the next few games because he is a great prospect. He did lead the NCAA in rushing yards last year. Addai is a very good blocker and catcher, but he is not a very good runner from behind the QB. He is just isn't a power runner and that is what the Colts need.

Addai stinks. If he was any good the Colts wouldn't have used their first round pick on Donald Brown. You don't draft a RB in the first round to replace your 26 year old RB if he's any good. Brown will be the starter by mid season, and that's exactly what the Colts planned when they drafted him.

The biggest issue for the Colts is the health, or lack thereof, of Mr. Bob Sanders. When he's healthy, that defense is really good. When he's not, they're average. They need him if they want a shot at playing in February.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:25 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Blace wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Addai stinks. If he was any good the Colts wouldn't have used their first round pick on Donald Brown. You don't draft a RB in the first round to replace your 26 year old RB if he's any good. Brown will be the starter by mid season, and that's exactly what the Colts planned when they drafted him.

The biggest issue for the Colts is the health, or lack thereof, of Mr. Bob Sanders. When he's healthy, that defense is really good. When he's not, they're average. They need him if they want a shot at playing in February.

No, Addai stinks at running the ball like I said. He is a *very* good blocking back and always picks up the blitz well enough to give Manning time to throw. He is also very good after the catch. I've been watching him play for three years now.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:09 pm
No offense, Blace, I think you have a decent point there about his superlative run-blocking abilities, but overall when it comes to the playoffs Joseph Addai is a liability. When the Colts faced the Chargers in last year's playoffs they were forced to play possession football with the Chargers - who received a momentous boost from Darren Sproles - Joseph Addai offered little to no support. He has no presence as a runner and doesn't possess the killer instinct of even a third-tier halfback. If the Colts want a chance at truly opening up as a truly lethal offense (which with Peyton Manning they already approach), they need Brown to get his foot in the door and grow as a player, or else they will be overpowered in the playoffs yet again.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:07 pm
The thing is we won the SB two years ago with Addai AND Rhodes splitting duties and I would like to see it happen again with Brown. I don't think we should just toss Addai to the side when he can be a big help in certain situations. I do think we should hand the ball off to Brown more though. The reason we struggled last year was because Addai had no help and was all alone. Not so this year. I'm more worried about the defense right now than I am the running game.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 pm
Here's some questions i've had coming out of week 2. Sorry for the delay, I got ripped off on craiglist and have been dealing with my overwhelming negativity for the past couple of days..... Don't really know why that kept me offline, but damn it, it did.

Is Cincinatti a playoff team again?

What happened to the Giants defense, 6.7 YAC?

Is San Fran going to win the NFC west?

Did kickers forget how to kick field goals, it seems like there have been an abnormal amount of missed FG's so far this season?

Can Drew Breese put up bigger numbers than he did last year?

Will Steve Slaton get things going this year, and for that matter will Brandon Jacobs?

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 am
stiefmo wrote:
Here's some questions i've had coming out of week 2. Sorry for the delay, I got ripped off on craiglist and have been dealing with my overwhelming negativity for the past couple of days..... Don't really know why that kept me offline, but damn it, it did.

Is Cincinatti a playoff team again?

What happened to the Giants defense, 6.7 YAC?

Is San Fran going to win the NFC west?

Did kickers forget how to kick field goals, it seems like there have been an abnormal amount of missed FG's so far this season?

Can Drew Breese put up bigger numbers than he did last year?

Will Steve Slaton get things going this year, and for that matter will Brandon Jacobs?

1. No, Cincinatti is not a playoff team in my opinion. They'll probably go 7-9 or 8-8. Too inconsistent and too many good teams in the AFC who will be trying to get in the playoffs after slow starts (Titans 0-2, Steelers 1-1, Chargers 1-1)

2. Giants D should be fine. Give them a few more games to judge.

3. It's definitely possible that San Fran will win that division. Arizona is the biggest threat, but they are going to be going 1-2 after this Sunday (predicting a loss to the Colts because I'm that awesome).

4. It does seem like kickers are struggling this year. Colts were lucky that Vinatieri hit a pole and had it still go through against Miami.

5. Drew Brees looks like he is going to break a few records as long as he keeps playing teams with absolutely no defense. I want to see them play the Ravens or Steelers to see if their team is for real. Until then, I'm withholding judgement.

6. Brandon Jacobs has Bradshaw to split with and they are a great one two punch so I see no problems in the Giants running game. Texans do need their running game to pick up though. Matt Schoub can't do everything and plays inconsistent (I seem to use this word alot in this thread).

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 am
...who dey.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:56 pm
Random thoughts (Volume 2):

Titans starting 0-3. :) :) They are the polar opposite of what they were in 2008. That season, they barely looked like they could beat the other team but consistently did; here, they always look like they have a shot to win but lose, no matter who the opponent is.

The Niners played a great game nobody thought they could win. The ending was painful. My Lord. Nevertheless, I see now that they are truly a quality team. They have a very good (probably the best) chance of making the playoffs in their division.

The Washington Redskins are the most expensive disaster in the NFL. What a horrible, over-priced, horribly managed team.

Denver and Chicago: Super Bowl match-up. I'm not serious, but really, who wouldn't want to see this? The ultimate 'nobody believed in us although they had numerous reasons to' matchup.

The Steelers are a very charitable team.

I do not consider the Jets for real unless they sweep New England. There will be no retraction of this statement.

Brett Favre proved his worth today. As much as I hate him (really, HATE him) for this - he proved invaluable in a clutch situation. AP didn't even dent the game; Favre pushed the Vikings over the hill. I'm still cautious, but don't tell me the final play didn't impress you. I'll only call you jaded.

New Orleans making the playoffs. There. No bull. They are a playoff team. No, really. Mark it down right now.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:59 pm
The Colts laid the smackdown tonight. I actually kind of feel sorry for Kurt Warner. Dwight Freeney is a beast. I've also never seen our defense so physical and blitz so much in my life. Give the Colts a 14+ lead and they are unstoppable the rest of the game. Addai had a very good game (running, catching, and especially blocking) as did Donald Brown. The division is pretty much ours from here on out with the Titans 0-3, Texans 1-2, and the Jaguars 1-2.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:30 pm
Yeah, the Colts did look good tonight, but again it's against the Cardinals who are more than suspect. I feel the Cards don't at all utilize the host of up and coming running backs they have.

I'm still going to say the Bengals are going to get better and have a shot at making the playoffs. The only thing that's going to stop them is the Ravens. Boy do they look incredible and on both sides of the ball.

Just when I was questioning the New York Giants they absolutely embarrass Tampa Bay. Less than 100 yards total offense. That's a joke. My boy Jacobs got things going as well, even against a civ of a defense.

Chicago's going to finish 3rd in their division behind Green Bay and the Vikings. I think the Vikings will take the helm.

Speaking of the Vikings, wow..... Singletary has nothing to be ashamed of, the 49ers are looking like a good team. Definately an opportunity to take the West.

Also it should be noted, as I was at the game today, that the Rams offense looked MUCH better with Kyle Boller under center in lieu of the 'injured' Mark Bulger.

*****In NO WAY should it be stated that I am a Rams fan just because I live in St. Louis. I was happy for them in the strong seasons and feel sorry for them now, but have never been a fan.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm
Director

The Jets are a good team. No shame losing to them, in my mind at least. The Titans are always there at the end of the game, but they just can't convert. I put a lot of the blame on Collins for not being able to complete a pass when it mattered most. Chris Johnson is an absolute tank, he's definitely our starting RB for the future. The QB situation is just a mess. Yes, right now Collins might be better than Vince Young. But we did spend a first round draft choice on Young, who had a great rookie season must we all forget. I just don't get how he fell out of favor with everyone so fast (besides him being possibly a little psychotic and making ridiculous statements from time to time....Ron Artest anybody?). To me, you start Vince against the Jaguars next week, say nothing personal to Kerry, but we want to start to develop a future of Vince and Chris Johnson. Which, to me, isn't a bad looking future at all....

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
stiefmo wrote:
Yeah, the Colts did look good tonight, but again it's against the Cardinals who are more than suspect. I feel the Cards don't at all utilize the host of up and coming running backs they have.

For some ungodly reason the Cardinals were actually favored by 3 points. Everyone was betting on them in Vegas from what I could tell listening to the commentary on the radio while watching the game.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:33 am
You fools!

All of this NFL banter and you all failed to mention the most important moment on Sunday.

THE LIONS WON!!!

About damn time.

Let the road to 5-11 begin....

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:09 am
Bondurant wrote:
You fools!

All of this NFL banter and you all failed to mention the most important moment on Sunday.

THE LIONS WON!!!

About damn time.

Let the road to 5-11 begin....

I say 4-12, 3-13 are the best bets for the Lions. Sorry, but not all teams are as laughably bad as the Washington Redskins. If you were in the NFC West (meaning you faced Arizona, St. Louis, and Seattle twice in the course of one season), you night actually be around 7-9. But no. You are in the NFC North, which has three possible playoff contenders.

And yes, I just said Arizona sucks. They have regressed back into a shabby clubhouse, and I think that they have a very good chance of going 5-11. Playoffs are out of the question.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
And yes, I just said Arizona sucks.

Umm...is this supposed to mean something? People have been saying the Cards will suck since May.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
I do not consider the Jets for real unless they sweep New England. There will be no retraction of this statement.

You don't have to retract anything.

But:

The Vikings have beaten two of the five worst teams in the league, and struggled mightily against a very sporty but untimately, at this point, mediocre team.

The Jets, meanwhile, beat a mediocre Texans team, gutted one out against the still-formidable Pats, and took care of business yesterday against an experienced team trying to save their season.

The difference, of course, is AP -- which is why I think the Vikings are better, but only slightly.

And Favre didn't prove anything to me today that I didn't already know. He made a nice throw (props to him for not lobbing it up for grabs) and a hell of a catch was made. Favre does this sometimes. No one is denying this.

However, if he had thrown a pick on his first throw of the drive, that wouldn't have been shocking either. You take the good and the bad with him. My contention has been (and still is) that in big situations, at this point in his career, Brett has more bad than good in him.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:48 pm
I must stop by here more often...

Some Week 3 thoughts:
-I'm still shocked, SHOCKED, that Cincy won. I won't jump on the bandwagon yet, but I will point out that Palmer's injury last really overshadowed that their defense is now the best since Marvin Lewis has gotten into town. Oh, and how much does it suck for Bears fans that Cedric Benson is far outplaying Matt Forte?

-DeSean Jackson is amazing and now we must wonder how so many teams passed on him. Yes, I know he's a stick figure and a bit of a jerk, but he is so polished as a receiver it blows me away he fell out of the first round. When he was drafted us Eagles fans were hoping for a return guy who could provide a big play per game. What we got was a number one receiver from the minute he stepped onto the field.

-Staying with Philly, I love Brian Westbrook but I think LeSean McCoy is gunning for his job next year. I loved the way he ran yesterday and he'll only get better. Two years, two second round steals for Andy Reid.

-LOL at the Redskins. What makes it even better is that this won't teach Dan Snyder a thing. He'll still try to buy a championship instead of building through the draft.

-Earlier in this thread I said Favre isn't much of an improvement over Sage Rosenfals. Well, Rosenfals couldn't have made that play yesterday. So far Favre has proven Brad Childress right, but the season is young and at some point he'll throw the dumbest interception you've ever seen and cost Minnesota the win. It's bound to happen. Still, I must eat crow for now.

-While I'm eating said crow, I may as well point out that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco aren't slumping in the slightest like I predicted they would. Flacco is amazing right now and is making up for The Ravens' poor pass defense. Meanwhile, even after the loss Ryan is still playing at a top level. It's fair to say that both of them are top ten QBs right now.

-Man, does Cleveland suck right now. What makes it even worse is they may be in the toughest division in the league. Baltimore is rolling, Cincinnati is at the very least a very solid team and you know Pittsburgh will be pissed for quite a while. This may turn out to be a one and done for the Mangenius.

-Last night gave a great example of why I don't think Kurt Warner is a Hall of Famer. Yes, three Super Bowl trips, one championship and an MVP award are nothing to sneeze at. However, I think HoFers must all have consistency above all else, and that is something Warner has never had. The ebb and flow of his career just doesn't allow for me to place him in the same league as Manning and Brady. Very good player? Yes. Great? No, I don't believe so.

-Finally, if we get an all New York Super Bowl I'll shoot myself. The only thing more annoying would be an all Manning one.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:13 pm
I wouldn't mind an all Manning one, cuz that would mean the Colts were in!

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:01 pm
pig nash wrote:
I wouldn't mind an all Manning one, cuz that would mean the Colts were in!

Same here. Those are my 2 favorite teams.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:03 pm
Hey, it's all fun and games now, but once you've had to watch that home movie of them playing together four thousand times you're likely to lose your mind.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:12 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next