Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 pm

Why not have a music section/Current state of the forum 
Post Re: Why not have a music section/Current state of the forum
PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I too was a little surprised at the lack of analysis over Inglourious Basterds. It struck me as The Movie for those out for a thrill, those out for a night at the theater, those looking for some bloodletting, those looking for some philosophy... maybe there's some fear of pretentiousness at posting a love letter to the movie. I can't think of a more important, delightful film that's seen release in over a decade.

Exactly. There's so much there to discuss and we are talking about none of it. I just don't get it.

Trevor wrote:
I love the film but have not yet contributed to the discussion. I have been planning on writing a proper review and was waiting until I did that to really think/write deeply about the film and post on this forum about it. That doesn't really explain anything though, as it's not part of some pattern of non-discussion on the board but just a personal problem.

Writing that off as a personal problem is a bit short-sighted in my opinion. I mean, isn't the reason everyone is leaving due to a personal problem? If it's a personal choice to leave, then they left because of a person problem. Not addressing those problems when they are brought to your attention will only cause more people to leave.

As far as the pattern of non-discussion, you're right in that there is still discussion. I just don't enjoy the quality of that discussion. As long as people are coming to a message board there will be discussion taking place, but there is no guaranteee of quality. Now, I'm going to again give my opinion, and as a moderator you're free to do with it what you wish - I just hope you choose to do more than write it off as not explaining anything. I think quality folks are leaving because they see the drop in quality discussion. Those folks are being replaced with other posters who are your typical message board frequenters. They just don't have the same quality of posts. That's my issue with the board, and I'm pretty sure a good number of other posters have the same problem. Do with that what you wish, but please realize that it's a little offensive when you have a current state of the forum thread and when someone gives you their opinion, you marginalize it by saying it personal problems don't explain anything, when it's impossible for anyone to do anything but give their personal issues.

Sorry, I was not clear. I agree with everything you said. My line:
"That doesn't really explain anything though, as it's not part of some pattern of non-discussion on the board but just a personal problem."
was in reference to my not getting around to writing a review of Inglourious Basterds. Thus, it is a "personal" problem. I was not dismissing that there is a larger problem, I was stating that my own experience does not provide a telling example.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pete, this might sound a little douchey so I'll start by saying that I dig your writing man. That stuff between you and Unke in the Last Movie You Watched thread on Inglourious Basterds was really something.

That said, I find it curious that you're complaining so much about the lack of threads on the movie and aren't doing anything about it. Why not start a thread now? It's not too late. We could all show a little more initiative, myself obviously included.

Fair enough, douchebag.

You bring up a good point. It is a bit hypocritical to complain about the lack of discussion and not try to actively remedy the situation. I think I will start that thread today. However, I was using IB as an example of the site as a whole. I don't want to make it seem like my only issue is the lack of discussion about that one specific movie. I don't know if starting more threads will raise the current level of discussion, but it certainly isn't going to hurt.

Trevor wrote:
Sorry, I was not clear. I agree with everything you said. My line:
"That doesn't really explain anything though, as it's not part of some pattern of non-discussion on the board but just a personal problem."
was in reference to my not getting around to writing a review of Inglourious Basterds. Thus, it is a "personal" problem. I was not dismissing that there is a larger problem, I was stating that my own experience does not provide a telling example.

I apologize as well. Rereading what you wrote, I'm not sure why I took offense to that in the first place. Chalk it up to a simple miscommunication.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 am
I will say, I don't think more threads about the same movie will increase discussion.

If it's not happening in one thread, why would it in another? If it was a thread about a very specific aspect of a film, then maybe.
Also, if a thread is getting out of hand or off-topic then that could kill discussion, but we try to not let that happen.

In service of helping fix this problem, I will post some of my thoughts on Inglourious Basterds tonight.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:19 pm
Post Re: Why not have a music section
Patrick wrote:
Before you bring in more comparisons between this and Ebert's blog, remember that all of the comments on Ebert's blogs have to approved before they're posted.

Excuse me if I'm being rude, but how the hell does that even matter? You confused me.

I like the idea of a music section, but I don't think we're large or diverse enough as a forum to support it. Overall, I don't think it's practical. Our last suggested forum didn't really take off - I'm beginning to think this site is doomed to have it's current incarnation be it's ideal form. I think there are still worthy topics yet to be found for new sub-forums - but music won't yield consistently strong results, in my opinion (unless, of course, this gets James to talk about music, which he seems to avoid - is it because he's a Don Henley fan?).

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:50 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Before you bring in more comparisons between this and Ebert's blog, remember that all of the comments on Ebert's blogs have to approved before they're posted.

Excuse me if I'm being rude, but how the hell does that even matter? You confused me.

I'm saying that Ebert's blog comments are highly filtered leaving only the smart, intelligent comments. We don't have the filtering system in place unless somebody theoretically messes up and necessitates us filtering their comments.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:21 am
Patrick wrote:
I'm saying that Ebert's blog comments are highly filtered leaving only the smart, intelligent comments. We don't have the filtering system in place unless somebody theoretically messes up and necessitates us filtering their comments.

Well I probably would fall through that filter with every post, since I am neither smart nor intelligent. :?
Yep that is definitely an issue: since this is not an IMDB message board, much less YouTube comments (don't get me started...), the posts here should have substance of some sort, even if it's just a list (the real movie connaisseurs here will know if and how much thought and knolwdge went into it). I confess that often I refrain from commenting, simply because everything I can think of - and often much more - has been said already in that particular thread. A similar scenario might be the case with other forum users.

About a music section: Oh well, I am a professional musician - If I suck or not is irrelevant, at least I know a thing or two I guess - and (you guessed it) a fan of quality dramatic scores. Unfortumately there is an "uncool" factor to this topic. I don't recall John Williams, James Newton Howard, or that nerdy fella who is my avatar, ever being mentioned around here - much less the real old school guys such as Max Steiner, who made nothing less than the dramatic orchestral score of Casablanca, a flick that is held in high esteem by many - I am no exception. But since his music has a very high uncool factor (it is neither artsy, nor fashionable, nor trash cult), it is rather unlikely that he - and many others - will be discussed here.

Another thing is: music is much more a matter of taste than most of the other aspects of the movies.

But who the heck am I boring the crap out of you guys with my random ramblings... Of course I'd love to see a music section here. Much more even when I see the occasional score being discussed (as opposed to just trendy pop songs being used/featured in the soundtrack, which is just fine - but I think this topic is being discussed elsewhere more than enough). That of course is just my opinion. O.K. at least you guys know roughly my angle.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:20 pm
Site Admin

I'll be up front about this and say that the only parts of the forum I pay direct attention to are the "Berardinelli's Writings" section and the "Competitions" section. I visit the other sections from time-to-time, but don't claim any ownership in them.

The "Berardinelli's Writings" section is my little space in this forum. I moderate that section and check it on roughly a daily basis. I read every post written for every topic and respond when I think a response is warranted.

I rely on the forum's moderators (I guess we have lost one of them) to police the other sections.

The initial view of the forums was to make it a place where people could directly comment on reviews and ReelThoughts. I had no problem expanding it to add other categories but the core of the forums remains the "Berardinelli's Writings" section.

That being said, some degree of re-organization is probably warranted. I'll get around to it when things in real life start slowing down.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Why have forums at all, then, James Berardinelli?

Why not just enable comments on your reviews?

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
I confess that often I refrain from commenting, simply because everything I can think of - and often much more - has been said already in that particular thread. A similar scenario might be the case with other forum users.

I agree with you here Threeperf. To be honest, I spend way the hell more time reading the forum than posting comments. As you said, much of what I am thinking about a particular topic has already been stated and, I'll add, worded much better than I could have ever.

I will say that whatever "stage" the forum is in, or was in, I was getting something positive out of it...

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 pm
How about we ditch the idea of a music section and instead have am 'Arts' Section. This could include everythin from Music, theatre, litreture and art itself.
Also why not have a shot story section where peope could offer short stories that they have written themselves.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm
p604 wrote:
How about we ditch the idea of a music section and instead have am 'Arts' Section. This could include everythin from Music, theatre, litreture and art itself.
Also why not have a shot story section where peope could offer short stories that they have written themselves.

Nobody talks about theater and art plus less people talk about literature than music so that would just be kinda useless.

A place where people could post their writings would be awesome but I think the fact that hardcore self-promotion could happen.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:45 pm