Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
My name is Don.
I live in Ireland Europe.
I have been a huge follower if films ever since we got our first vdieo abdout 20 years ago.
I am a huge fan of epic films but have a huge disslike for CGI graphic intensive films.
But i do see uses for green screen intensive films, but they should be really called Animated films as none of itis real.
I look forward to sharing views with you all.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:53 pm
SORocker wrote:
Welcome, Frogster. Hey, I'm not the youngest guy around anymore.

etifupleez wrote:
I am also a freshman. Good to know there are some people my age who have good taste in movies.

Oh yeah. Go freshman! ^_^

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Loafer wrote:
My name's Eric. I'm turning 21 in just a few days now.

I just transferred to Columbia College Chicago this semester with a major in film. My focus is in editing, however i'm also interested in screenwriting, and, to a lesser extent, directing. I also write fairly lengthly reviews on Flixster religiously, and enjoy film criticism as a hobby.

I've been interested in film all my life, but my love blossomed further over the past two years after I started reading Ebert, James, and a few others. Some of my current favorites are Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy, American Splendor, and Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

Hi Loafer

I'd love to hear your perspective on the recent years awards for best Editing at the Oscars Most people always talk film, directors and acting.
Strange how so many directors love the process of editing most of all.
Hitchcock claimed that he did the editing at the storyboard phase and the actual shoot was a bore!

Rob

Oh dear, putting me on the spot here!

I've always thought that the best editing is the kind that you don't notice. That being said, i'm sure Slumdog will win - it's sleek, fashionable, and modern. I don't know if i'd vote differently or not, however, so i'd have to see all the nominees again!

I've been editing promotional videos for awhile now. Mostly professional wrestling videos, as odd as it may seem! I've been fortunate enough to get some exciting projects, but there's nothing i'd love more than trying to piece a whole movie together scene-by-scene.

And yes, the editor-director relationship very much interests me. I don't know if i'd be cut out for directing, but i'd love working with a director in a more intimate environment like the editing room.

Anyway, back on topic. It's good to see we have such a variety of people posting here! The board's been a great success this weekend.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:22 pm
Hello, all.

I'm Katherine and I'm from Florida, USA.

I have been reading James' reviews for close to 7 years now, and really enjoy his perspective. I am not any kind of film student, film critic, film aficionado, or any kind of serious film artist - I just enjoy watching movies and find that my taste is very similar to James. I can read a review of his and can usually discern if I'm going to like it or not.

It's nice to meet everyone!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:24 pm
Hey all!

My name is Mark. I'm a 24 year old actor living in Toronto, Canada. I started coming to the Reelviews website sometime in the year 2000. Can't remember how I found it though....

I'm in a band, too. We're called My October - http://www.myspace.com/myoctoberband

Basically, I spend my days reading scripts and playing PS3. In between jobs at the moment, but the city is quite busy so there's always something to do.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:25 pm
Hi everyone.
I'm Kevin and I'm from British Columbia.

Some random facts about me:

- As of February 15th I own 706 dvd's and I really need to build myself a new dvd shelf.

- I am 23 years old.

- I have a fear of getting my throat slit. I can handle pretty much anything in film but when people get their throats slit I have to look away.

- I have to end my phone calls on a number divisible by 5. Just the seconds though. So...7:35 or 12:05.

- I am a lucid dreamer.

- I worked at a film school in the Gulf Islands for a couple of years but quit when the staff changed and I found I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Working 18-20 hour days with people you enjoy working with is one thing but working 18-20 hour days with people who are a pain to work with is another.

- During a Super 8 film festival my film was turned off because the staff hadn't watched it before hand and it was an all ages event. The scene in question was myself masterbating (not literally and nothing was shown anyway) and ejaculating against a wall (a spoonful of mayo flung against a black door.) And it was just 5 seconds of a 2:30 minute film so :roll:

- I have a beautiful girlfriend by the name of Jacqueline and we've been dating just over 3 years. She has a wonderfully morbid sense of humor to match my own and we love watching movies.

- I film this ...beauty/talent pagent event every year that picks the "Queen" and "Princess(es)" of our area and it's honestly the most awful thing I do. There's nothing like going backstage to see how all the blond rich girls who own 12 horses each really act towards eachother. But to be fair they aren't all like that...just...the majority. But it's very brainless work so yay paycheck.

- I am an incredible Star Trek geek and own all the series and movies on dvd and have watched each episode 20 plus times. My girlfriend ignores this particular part of me :P

- I enjoy drawing and watercolor painting.

- I wrote and illustrated a children's book for my neice Olivia and am now working on a second book since it was so much fun to do the first.

- My upper canine teeth are more fanglike that normal and I like that. Not because I think I'm a vampire or anything it's just...fun.

And I should end it there before I begin to ramble...too much.

Look forward to meeting all of you :D

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:31 pm
derangedperson wrote:
I'm Peter, and I've been a movie fan for as long as I can remember.

My favorite movie is Requiem For A Dream. As far as I'm concerned, Darren Aronofsky can do no wrong.

My favorite directors: Kubrick, Boyle, Aronofsky, Cronenberg, Kevin Smith, Nolan...the list goes on.

Happy to be here.

Your taste in directors is the exact same as mine.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:22 pm
My name is NJ Mijares.
28 years old.
I live in Manila, Philippines.
I've been reading Berardinelli's reviews since around 2001.

It's nice to see this community grow. :D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 am
I missed this topic when I joined yesterday. Oh well, better late than never.

I share the same first name as the critic who's forum we're all on right now. I'm a 16 year old from the U.S. and I've loved movies all my life, starting with the original Star Wars movies. My favorite directors are, off the top of my head, Herzog, Kubrick, Fincher, Kurosawa, Lumet, Gilliam, Nolan, Carpenter, and Mike Judge. Great to be here.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 am
I'm Claire, I'm 18 and from Perth, Western Australia. I love movies but, regrettably, haven't seen as many as I would've like to. I'm working on rectifying that though.

Ummm, what else? I'm studying Law and Asian Studies at uni, I enjoy video games, AFL and music. The fact that I've pretty much summed up my life in a few sentences is a tad depressing but I'll get over it.

Nice to meet you all.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 am
My name is obvious, and I am 20 years old currently working towards a degree in English/Secondary Education. I am obviously in love with the Star Ocean series of video games (and any tri-Ace game in general :D ). So basically, I am obsessed with video games just as much as I am with film. My favorite movies was listed in another thread, so I guess I'll list my favorite actors/actresses, directors, and musicians/bands here!

Actors:

-Jack Nicholson
-Humphrey Bogart
-Kathy Bates
-Lauren Bacall
-Clint
-Daniel Day Lewis
-Alec Guinness (not because of Star Wars)
-Ralph Fiennes

Directors:

-David Cronenberg (probably my favorite)
-Clint Eastwood
-Michael Curtiz
-Howard Hawks
-Sylvester Stallone (not a great director, but who gives a crap, his movies are always entertaining as heck)

Games:

-Star Ocean: The Second Story
-Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
-Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
-Legend of Mana
-Crackdown
-Radiata Stories
-Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
-Call of Duty 4
-Perfect Dark
-Crystalis

Music:

-Stratovarius
-Revolution Renaissance
-Rainbow (with Dio)
-Dio
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Amon Amarth
-Ensiferum

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 am
Hello all. My username is the same as what I use for my "fight" nickname, as I am into mixed martial arts (MMA). I am a moderator on a major MMA website forum, so I have sympathy for what James' new moderators are faced with, lol.

I've been reading James for about 8 years or so, I came across his site and combed through the archives and got many, many ideas for older movies to watch that I had not yet seen. I read James and Ebert for any new movie that looks interesting, from those two write-ups I can usually get an idea if it is something I will like (even if they both did not).

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:52 am
Wow! Lots of activity here after only a couple of days!

My name is Nelson and I'm from Kangiqsualujjuaq, QC, a remote Northern community in the Arctic region of Quebec. Since there is no movie theater here, zip.ca is my friend as well as James for the reviews he is writing. That keeps me up-to-date with the movies I will add to my to-rent list.

I'm a high school french teacher. I do my best to use movies as an educational tool. And my students absolutely love Charlie Chaplin!

I almost forgot : I hate smilies. I never use them.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 am
alastairs wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm Alastair, I live and work a little way outside Cambridge, UK. I happened across Reelviews about a year ago whilst looking up reviews online for (I think) American Gangster.

I graduated with a Computer Science degree 18 months ago; whilst at University, I sadly stopped going to the cinema due to lack of funds. I've spent the last year trying my hardest to catch up with the rest of the film world (I'm getting there slowly but surely!), and keep up with current releases at the same time. My favourite films from 2008 were Gone Baby, Gone and In Bruges (and The Dark Knight, obviously :D)

I'm really glad to see these forums go live, and I look forward to chatting with you more soon!

Alastair

Your name rings a bell...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am
Hi! I am Jordyn. I am 28 and live in NJ. It took me until the age of 13 to really appreciate movies. Before then, they either terrified me (I still scare easily!) or made me cry (I still cry easily--but have a better time hiding it now). My parents, especially my mom loves movies. She loves the whole movie going experience, and would rather go to a theater then watch a movie at home. Which is a great thing--because I'll see the "really bad, cheesy, embarrassing to admit" movies with her-she doesn't have a problem seeing them. Typically we see those movies Sunday afternoon while my dad and my husband are watching football. My dad has actually introduced me to James's reviews. When I was in college, he used to print them and mail them to me.

Unfortunately, our friends aren't movie people like my husband and I are. Of course, now with the price of the movie ticket, we have been getting more "selective" of the movie that we want to see--which is a shame. If the price was lower, we would probably see a lot more. Some days we have seen the movies before noon, because we wanted to see it, but didn't want to pay an exorbinate amount for it.

We buy a lot of movies, and our friends and family love coming to our house to watch movies, that they have inevitably missed in the theater. Sometimes my husband and I will have a movie marathon throughout the week; particularly in the summer. We will have a theme for the week: "Harry Potter" "Superhero movies" "Jaws" etc, and make homemade stove top popcorn and just relax!

I don't watch a lot of TV--the only shows I consistantly watch are The Office and Dexter. (and for at least 1/2 of Dexter my eyes are shut and my ears are plugged...I am such a wimp!)

-Jordyn

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 am
I've been on the forum since day 1, but I never introduced myself.

My real name is Scott, I live in Ottawa Canada, and I'm a public servant for a living. I'm 24, graduated from a Computer Science program locally here in Ottawa, and I now own my own house. I'm single(and loving it), with a huge interest in music and video games, followed by films and books.

I take in as many concerts as possible, but I don't make it out to the movies much anymore. I'm not a "hardcore" gamer, but I will put 70 hours into a game over many nights if it interests me.

I do some writing in my spare time over at tinymixtapes.com under the same name I use here, but I haven't written anything in a while. Music writing doesn't interest me as much anymore, I want to make the field of game journalism better, but I haven't started yet.

I have three synopses for novels written, but nothing more than the first few chapters. I've toyed with taking two weeks off work to see how much of a book I could get written.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:41 pm
My name is Dave,
I've been reading Reelviews for about 7 years. The reason I read the site is that we seem to be very compatible when it comes to movie choices (anyone who gives Princess Bride 4 stars is definitely someone I can relate to!). That's about it. I look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say.

Dave

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm
Hi, I'm Baz, 26 from England. I've been watching films since I was about 4 years old, starting with westerns and war films with my grandparents and then onto bigger things. I write films, mostly short features, and hope to get one or all of them made soon.

When not watching films, I work as a computer techie, and I enjoy karaoke, hiking, football (soccer), motor racing, and being out with my mates.

Cheers, Baz

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:55 pm
Hi, I'm Geoffers, hence the username. I'm almost 40 and I live near Manchester, England. I've been visiting Reelviews since about 2000/01.

Unlike most of the contributors so far, I don't have time or money to watch anything like as many films as I'd like so I use JB's opinions as a filter to help me decide what films I do see. I often end up readin reviews about a film in lieu of actually seeing it. Not ideal, but needs must.

Hello, all.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 pm
I am 19. In college for Earth Sciences. I live in PA. Iv been going to this site for probably 3 years.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next