Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 am

Quoting 
Post Quoting
Now, I'm aware that correcting spelling on a website is a childish act of gamesmanship by posters in an argument, but the inability to quote properly is a potentially very annoying and often disorienting action which causes a dilemma where numerous points and arguments are essentially attributed to one poster (although not necessarily through plagiarism). I might just be toting an elitist gun on this one, but is quoting a difficult task? I seem to find quoting - on the rare occasion I need to quote someone - to be rather second-nature. Am I alone on this one?

Do we really need to make a thread-primer on the act of quoting? It's not like this is one person, or even a small few people (although usually the smarter posters either do it once in a while or take the time to edit it). It happens alot, and yes, it's annoying. Sometimes, the actual quote that the person is responding to isn't even in the malformed quote-cluster that was posted! I suppose I will back off if I happen to offend a few of you with this, but this is an irritation that I think can be - in fact, should be - avoided rather easily.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 pm
Post Re: Quoting
That's a very confusing question, I get the feeling that you're not talking about the act of quoting in the boards but the act of quoting someone to backup someone's point. To that, I say this is a message board and not a term paper.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 pm
Quoting is easy for people who are familiar with html or bbcode. For a layperson who is not used to the concept of opening and closing tags it can be somewhat confusing, esp. when there are multiple layers/quotes.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:54 pm
I understand this complaint. There's something jarring about starting in on someone's post only to find that you're reading some else's post being referenced. The best way to fix the problem is to just do some careful editing if you find yourself quoting some else's quoted post. And it's never to late to hit the EDIT button, anyway. I sometimes let slip some spelling errors if I don't mind how they look (or if I'm too lazy to bother) but quoting someone with the mentioned HTML error is something I avoid. There's probably no other way to stop this from happening.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:44 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I am come amongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust. I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too!

Personally, I haven’t seen anyone have a problem properly quoting other posters here. Go figure...

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:47 am
Ratel wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I am come amongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust. I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too!

Personally, I haven’t seen anyone have a problem properly quoting other posters here. Go figure...

Isn't it weird how Evenflow8112 constantly walks around quoting Queen Elizabeth like that? Why does he do that?

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:51 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Ratel wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Isn't it weird how Evenflow8112 constantly walks around quoting Queen Elizabeth like that? Why does he do that?

Frankly, I have no idea. And it’s a very strange habit. I can recall that on the best album list thread -- while discussing Pearl Jam’s Ten -- he randomly inserted into his post the entirety of the “Golden Speech” of 1601. How this supported his argument was quite beyond me; at least so far as I can tell, the financial state of the England circa the end of the Elizabethan era has nothing to do with the song “Jeremy” whatsoever. But it’s just an odd character quirk, and I think we’ve all grown used to it by this time.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 am
Patrick wrote:
That's a very confusing question, I get the feeling that you're not talking about the act of quoting in the boards but the act of quoting someone to backup someone's point. To that, I say this is a message board and not a term paper.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this gem. You're either kidding or you're trying to get me to use the 'f' word again. I use it once a month. That's all you forum people get.

Trevor wrote:
Quoting is easy for people who are familiar with html or bbcode. For a layperson who is not used to the concept of opening and closing tags it can be somewhat confusing, esp. when there are multiple layers/quotes.

Quoting is easy for people with general motor skills. Granted, not everyone here has posted on a forum before, and I can respect that; however, when conditioning proves insufficient, it's time to start being skeptical.

Ratel wrote:
Frankly, I have no idea. And it’s a very strange habit. I can recall that on the best album list thread -- while discussing Pearl Jam’s Ten -- he randomly inserted into his post the entirety of the “Golden Speech” of 1601. How this supported his argument was quite beyond me; at least so far as I can tell, the financial state of the England circa the end of the Elizabethan era has nothing to do with the song “Jeremy” whatsoever. But it’s just an odd character quirk, and I think we’ve all grown used to it by this time.

I love this sudden geyser of British quotation. I think an entire sub-forum should be made to honor this idea. Oh Jaaaaaames!

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:25 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Trevor wrote:

Quoting is easy for people with general motor skills. Granted, not everyone here has posted on a forum before, and I can respect that; however, when conditioning proves insufficient, it's time to start being skeptical.

I don't think that's fair. Most of us would have grown up with computers so it's easy to forget that not everyone is comfortable using them, much less surfing the tubes of the interwebs. If you think that a certain person who should know better consistently messes up quote tags then I think that you are well within your rights as a moderator to send them a polite PM requesting that they hit "Preview" before they submit. Moderators can, of course, fix the quote tags for us (I know some/all of you occasionally do) but I understand that it may be impractical to fix them all.

Ratel wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

:lol: Ratel make good funny.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:00 pm