Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 am

Why not have a music section/Current state of the forum 
Post Why not have a music section/Current state of the forum
Set it up in a similat vein to TV.
there are a fair few threads that involve music and mucicians and movie soundtracks coulc also be discussed

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:24 am
Post Re: Why not have a music section
That's a very good question, I suggested that a few months ago and was shot down. I still think that a music suggestion would still be shot down for there's not that much of music talk in the open forum.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:42 am
p604 wrote:
there are a fair few threads that involve music and mucicians and movie soundtracks coulc also be discussed

As Patrick said, there's only a limited amount of music discussion happening so far, and it seems at home in the open forum.
In general we want to keep the focus on movies and the decision to even make a TV forum was not made lightly.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm
Trevor wrote:
p604 wrote:

As Patrick said, there's only a limited amount of music discussion happening so far, and it seems at home in the open forum.
In general we want to keep the focus on movies and the decision to even make a TV forum was not made lightly.

Not to argue the finer points but what difference does it really make? Does it really matter if the discussion is limited to a few posts here and there in the open forum? It seems to me that James Berardinelli's Reelviews Forum would benefit from an addition of sections.

WARNING: THE NEXT OPINION EXPRESSED IS THAT OF THE AUTHOR AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF ANYONE BUT HIMSELF

This forum needs a boost. Somehow. What started out as an interesting place to discuss all sorts of topics has turned into an ailing beast. For the love of socks, one of the moderators has "RIP" as his signature line. Does this mean nothing?! Robert Holloway, he who put in untold amounts of time and logged over 2,000 posts, is now effectively GONE. GONE! And while no one person can be blamed for a lack of interest in TCM Film Discussions or a Great Movies section, could it really hurt to expand the forum by adding a MUSIC SECTION? That "What the Hell are you listening to now" thread has 14 pages to it!

I say do whatever you can to increase and/or maintain interest in the forum, James Berardinelli. While it's a great idea to keep the discussion principally to movies it doesn't hurt to give people something else to get interested in. Some spillover, if you will. Anything to keep the posters around and the moderators from writing "RIP" in their signature line. It's been 7 months. Should people really be nostalgic for the good old days?

And so, to keep it simple, loosen things up. Add the music section. This forum doesn't, and won't, benefit from strict adherence to arbitrary rules.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:24 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Trevor wrote:
p604 wrote:

Not to argue the finer points but what difference does it really make? Does it really matter if the discussion is limited to a few posts here and there in the open forum? It seems to me that James Berardinelli's Reelviews Forum would benefit from an addition of sections.

WARNING: THE NEXT OPINION EXPRESSED IS THAT OF THE AUTHOR AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF ANYONE BUT HIMSELF

This forum needs a boost. Somehow. What started out as an interesting place to discuss all sorts of topics has turned into an ailing beast. For the love of socks, one of the moderators has "RIP" as his signature line. Does this mean nothing?! Robert Holloway, he who put in untold amounts of time and logged over 2,000 posts, is now effectively GONE. GONE! And while no one person can be blamed for a lack of interest in TCM Film Discussions or a Great Movies section, could it really hurt to expand the forum by adding a MUSIC SECTION? That "What the Hell are you listening to now" thread has 14 pages to it!

I say do whatever you can to increase and/or maintain interest in the forum, James Berardinelli. While it's a great idea to keep the discussion principally to movies it doesn't hurt to give people something else to get interested in. Some spillover, if you will. Anything to keep the posters around and the moderators from writing "RIP" in their signature line. It's been 7 months. Should people really be nostalgic for the good old days?

And so, to keep it simple, loosen things up. Add the music section. This forum doesn't, and won't, benefit from strict adherence to arbitrary rules.

+1

I'd like to think that if there was a Music section there would also be more posts about music.

Does storing all the text for the forums take up a lot of server space? I know James likes to delete some older threads and all but one day I logged on and found that my post count went from the mid 900s to mid 800s.

People are obviously, for various reasons, losing interest. Perhaps a thread asking folks what they don't like here and/or things they'd like to see would help.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:50 pm
But this area is technically for suggestions as well as questions ed.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:53 pm
True Blue, but people are sometimes reluctant to speak up unless prodded.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 pm
There isn't too much hope for swift, instrumental changes. Inertia is carrying this forum to the status of being just another place on the net. Of course, it probably was inevitable. Why wouldn't it have been inevitable? Personal stakes in a forum are low and, in my opinion, they should be. It's unfortunate that people are losing interest but there's nothing that can be done about it -- what I think of as an "ideal" forum differs from what the general population thinks. That's okay. It seems as if a forum is almost guaranteed to turn into a place where people shout into big, dark wells before losing interest and carrying on. In any event that's what happened here. Too much explaining/apologizing/re-wording has to be done in order to make sure things remain civil. I say "fuck forced civility" but, after all, I'm not running this forum.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:48 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Too much explaining/apologizing/re-wording has to be done in order to make sure things remain civil. I say "fuck forced civility" but, after all, I'm not running this forum.

Patrick Stergos should totally get that as a tattoo. Is it strange that I find him incredibly endearing while others find him rude?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Too much explaining/apologizing/re-wording has to be done in order to make sure things remain civil. I say "fuck forced civility" but, after all, I'm not running this forum.

Patrick Stergos should totally get that as a tattoo. Is it strange that I find him incredibly endearing while others find him rude?

Yes, you weirdo. :lol:

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Too much explaining/apologizing/re-wording has to
be done in order to make sure things remain civil. I say "fuck
forced civility"
but, after all, I'm not running this forum.

Patrick
Stergos should totally get that as a tattoo. Is it strange that I find
him incredibly endearing while others find him rude?

Is endearing really the word you were looking for? That being said, I don't believe (not even a little) that the typical StergoPost is deliberately rude. One day I'll figure out what makes that guy write what he does. I might have to bring in a team of guys in lab coats to help me but, believe me, I'm going to figure it out even if I have to get an MRI of Stergos' skull.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:46 am
To get back to the original topic for a moment, I don't think that slightly expanding the discussion of music will save a forum that is supposed to be entirely based around the writings/reviews of a film critic.

As for the general state of the forum, I think it is going through a transition phase. It started with an explosion of the usual sort of forum junkies, some of whom alienated some of the more serious members. Now that things have died down, I think we will see one of two things. Either the forum will come a little more alive with people who follow links from James' reviews/writings and want to discuss things in an intelligent manner a la Ebert's blog. Or, people who frequent message boards in general and just want to co-opt this as their own home-base will claim this space and serious discourse will be (de facto) discouraged. If the latter happens, or continues to happen as some would argue, then I hope James' just calls it a failure and shuts down the forum.

If that happens, as a moderator, I take some responsibility for not encouraging the type of discussion that serious students of film would like to see. I think that people such as Rob Holloway were a little too impatient in expecting/demanding that sort of atmosphere right away, but I think that his goal was a good one. I still hope that the forum will naturally transition towards that. I will vehemently oppose ideas that expand the forum towards ancillary discussion, such as a specific music forum as mentioned here. I think that, given some structural guidelines, the forum can still be a success, and one that's focused on films and James' view on films in particular.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:28 am
Lots of great stuff in Trevor's post. All the quotes herein are from it.

Quote:
To get back to the original topic for a moment, I don't think that slightly expanding the discussion of music will save a forum that is supposed to be entirely based around the writings/reviews of a film critic.

There isn't any way to know this although I'm inclined to agree that it's likely true. Be that as it may, there isn't any harm in including a section on music, literature, sculpture, and so forth. In an effort to diversify the forum and generate discussion that flows freely from film to music, drawing parallels in between, it makes some sense. It also may be entirely wishful thinking.

Quote:
As for the general state of the forum, I think it is going through a transition phase. It started with an explosion of the usual sort of forum junkies, some of whom alienated some of the more serious members. Now that things have died down, I think we will see one of two things. Either the forum will come a little more alive with people who follow links from James' reviews/writings and want to discuss things in an intelligent manner a la Ebert's blog. Or, people who frequent message boards in general and just want to co-opt this as their own home-base will claim this space and serious discourse will be (de facto) discouraged. If the latter happens, or continues to happen as some would argue, then I hope James' just calls it a failure and shuts down the forum.

The comment about a transition phase is, without a doubt, true. Whatever the reasons may be for a member deciding to never sign on again, it has to come down to personal choice. Patrick, myself, munroe, etc. can't shoulder the blame. People are alienated if they allow themselves to be. People likely don't return because they don't want to be around people they would hate to meet in non-forum life. Ebert's blog is superior, in terms of 'quality' of comments, but the sense that people are listening (rather than vying to get the loudest comment in) is just the same as it is here. That's how forums work, I suppose. That being said, I don't see a time when a serious student of film will be more welcome here than the guy with the strongest, loudest opinion. I wouldn't call the forum a total failure but I won't be so blind to say its a place for those interested only in intellectual discourse. There should be a balance and there isn't. That's nobody's fault and one can't punish entropy.

Quote:
If that happens, as a moderator, I take some responsibility for not encouraging the type of discussion that serious students of film would like to see.

Now this is interesting. I'm going to be the first to admit I have no idea what job a moderator has to perform outside of banning the riff raff and keeping the threads in line. It doesn't seem to me that they have any responsibilities outside of what I've mentioned. And, to be honest, they're answering to James. If things aren't going well for the forum the moderators may shoulder some responsibility (this is totally arguable) but James ultimately has to accept the responsibility for how things are turning out. I realize his time is limited and it's impossible to police every single post but a perceptive person, should he dislike the direction of the forum, would have noticed if things were getting stale. Until I'm informed otherwise I see him as the one who determines how the forum should be best represented.

But, let's face it, the moderators weren't picked through any sort of careful, heavily debated selection. That is totally clear. And this is not to cast aspersions upon any of the moderators. But again: Holloway is gone. A little bird told me he's not going to be returning. Clearly the moderators aren't here to enforce film study because, if they were, he wouldn't still be listed as a moderator and someone like Ken or ed_metal_head would have taken his place. I might be wrong but I don't think James particularly cares one way or another what the moderators do so long as threads don't veer wildly off topic.

Trevor wrote:
I think that people such as
Rob Holloway were a little too impatient in expecting/demanding that
sort of atmosphere right away, but I think that his goal was a good
one. I still hope that the forum will naturally transition towards
that. I will vehemently oppose ideas that expand the forum towards
ancillary discussion, such as a specific music forum as mentioned here.
I think that, given some structural guidelines, the forum can still be
a success, and one that's focused on films and James' view on films in
particular.

Holloway gets a free pass from me. I don't believe he mishandled a thing during his time and any impatience he may have shown was a direct result of general disappointment that people weren't interested in what is generally accepted as important. Within film, at least. He was impatient and that's great: he wanted people to be as enthusiastic about the medium as he was. There's plenty of impatience here from plenty of other people and at least Rob had the benefit of being impatient with high expectations matched with respect.

We disagree on the music section and that's acceptable. I think it has symbolic significance but I'm not entirely sure that it does much good. But I support those structural guidelines you mention if a wider array of topics isn't going to help. Tightening things up will be effective. I think the moderators should start doing this immediately. This is for discussion, after all. It isn't some electronic home away from home.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:17 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Lots of great stuff in Trevor's post. All the quotes herein are from it.

Quote:

There isn't any way to know this although I'm inclined to agree that it's likely true. Be that as it may, there isn't any harm in including a section on music, literature, sculpture, and so forth. In an effort to diversify the forum and generate discussion that flows freely from film to music, drawing parallels in between, it makes some sense. It also may be entirely wishful thinking.

My point was that I don't think we want to diversify. If anything, some contraction and focus might be better. That would lead to less of a feeling of this as just another internet forum and more towards it as a place to discuss film and Berardinelli where "internet forum" is just the medium we're using.

majoraphasia wrote:
Quote:
If that happens, as a moderator, I take some responsibility for not encouraging the type of discussion that serious students of film would like to see.

Now this is interesting. I'm going to be the first to admit I have no idea what job a moderator has to perform outside of banning the riff raff and keeping the threads in line. It doesn't seem to me that they have any responsibilities outside of what I've mentioned. I might be wrong but I don't think James particularly cares one way or another what the moderators do so long as threads don't veer wildly off topic.

Moderators have the power and sometimes the duty to facilitate as well as moderate the discussion. Rob clearly showed a desire to do that. I, so far, have not done that to any great extent. That was my only point there.

majoraphasia wrote:
Trevor wrote:
I think that people such as
Rob Holloway were a little too impatient in expecting/demanding that
sort of atmosphere right away, but I think that his goal was a good
one. I still hope that the forum will naturally transition towards
that. I will vehemently oppose ideas that expand the forum towards
ancillary discussion, such as a specific music forum as mentioned here.
I think that, given some structural guidelines, the forum can still be
a success, and one that's focused on films and James' view on films in
particular.

Holloway gets a free pass from me. I don't believe he mishandled a thing during his time and any impatience he may have shown was a direct result of general disappointment that people weren't interested in what is generally accepted as important. Within film, at least. He was impatient and that's great: he wanted people to be as enthusiastic about the medium as he was. There's plenty of impatience here from plenty of other people and at least Rob had the benefit of being impatient with high expectations matched with respect.

My point regarding impatience was related to the fact that Rob had more time and energy to commit to this forum than anyone else did and at times seemed frustrated by that fact. Sometimes it was our fault that we didn't live up to his expectations, but at other times it was not. I think he only saw what he wanted this place to be, and sometimes missed what it is right now and so was not able to bridge the gap. This relates to what I said earlier about this being an "internet forum" vs. "film/James Berardinelli discussion with 'internet forum' as the medium." So far it has been mostly the former, but to change that one has to do more than just work under the assumption that it already is the latter.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:48 am
Before you bring in more comparisons between this and Ebert's blog, remember that all of the comments on Ebert's blogs have to approved before they're posted.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:37 am
Post Re: Why not have a music section/Current state of the forum
Here's my opinion on the current state of this forum, for what it's worth.

It's been dumbed-down. This has happened for various reasons (Holloway leaving, older guys like Tuco and Commodore leaving, younger folks coming, people just throwing opinions around with little discussion, etc.) and there really isn't much you can do about it. Sure, there were always some silly threads that you had no interest in, but you could either check them out for a quick laugh, or ignore them all together. To me, they've become the norm. For the most part, the General Movie Discussion forum is all about James Bond, Batman, and Avatar (obviously that's oversimplified). What can you do? That's what the people who are currently visiting the forum want to talk about. I'm not suggesting the forum turn into a bunch of elitists and discuss strictly classic or Great Movies. I have no qualms with discussing current movies, I just don't personally enjoy the manner in which it is being done. I have no interest in going into a thread and saying, "This movie rocked!" or "This actress is sooo hot!!" or "I hated this movie". It just seems that actually analyzing a film isn't the main goal of people on the forum anymore. For instance, look at Inglourious Basterds. There is ONE thread on it in the General Movie Discussion Forum, and that's only asking if James will be reviewing it. In the 7 page thread for James' review, there are about 5-6 good posts analyzing the film, and about 6 pages of 2-3 sentence blurbs stating various opinions on the movie. If a movie like that can't get people debating and analyzing, what can? There's hardly any mention of what QT meant or was trying to accomplish with the film. To me, that's what is interesting, not whether someone thought the historical revisionism was audacious or abhorrent. Maybe this place isn't for someone like me anymore, and my reluctance to leave probably stems from it, for a time, being exactly for me. Like major said, that's a personal choice. I don't think it really reflects poorly on any one person that people are leaving. No one wants to call others dumb, or insult them for no reason, especially for something as irrelevant as their opinions on movies and the way they present them. It's easier to just leave. I'll probably still grasp for a little longer that the forum can return to it's previous form, but I doubt it will. The number of good, thoughtful posts seems to be fewer and far between now (and coming from only a handful of folks), and I imagine that gap widening as time progresses.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 am
PeachyPete wrote:

It's been dumbed-down. This has happened for various reasons (Holloway leaving, older guys like Tuco and Commodore leaving, younger folks coming, people just throwing opinions around with little discussion, etc.) and there really isn't much you can do about it. Sure, there were always some silly threads that you had no interest in, but you could either check them out for a quick laugh, or ignore them all together. To me, they've become the norm. For the most part, the General Movie Discussion forum is all about James Bond, Batman, and Avatar (obviously that's oversimplified). What can you do? That's what the people who are currently visiting the forum want to talk about. I'm not suggesting the forum turn into a bunch of elitists and discuss strictly classic or Great Movies. I have no qualms with discussing current movies, I just don't personally enjoy the manner in which it is being done. I have no interest in going into a thread and saying, "This movie rocked!" or "This actress is sooo hot!!" or "I hated this movie". It just seems that actually analyzing a film isn't the main goal of people on the forum anymore. For instance, look at Inglourious Basterds. There is ONE thread on it in the General Movie Discussion Forum, and that's only asking if James will be reviewing it. In the 7 page thread for James' review, there are about 5-6 good posts analyzing the film, and about 6 pages of 2-3 sentence blurbs stating various opinions on the movie. If a movie like that can't get people debating and analyzing, what can? There's hardly any mention of what QT meant or was trying to accomplish with the film. To me, that's what is interesting, not whether someone thought the historical revisionism was audacious or abhorrent. Maybe this place isn't for someone like me anymore, and my reluctance to leave probably stems from it, for a time, being exactly for me. Like major said, that's a personal choice. I don't think it really reflects poorly on any one person that people are leaving. No one wants to call others dumb, or insult them for no reason, especially for something as irrelevant as their opinions on movies and the way they present them. It's easier to just leave. I'll probably still grasp for a little longer that the forum can return to it's previous form, but I doubt it will. The number of good, thoughtful posts seems to be fewer and far between now (and coming from only a handful of folks), and I imagine that gap widening as time progresses.

I too was a little surprised at the lack of analysis over Inglourious Basterds. It struck me as The Movie for those out for a thrill, those out for a night at the theater, those looking for some bloodletting, those looking for some philosophy... maybe there's some fear of pretentiousness at posting a love letter to the movie. I can't think of a more important, delightful film that's seen release in over a decade.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I too was a little surprised at the lack of analysis over Inglourious Basterds. It struck me as The Movie for those out for a thrill, those out for a night at the theater, those looking for some bloodletting, those looking for some philosophy... maybe there's some fear of pretentiousness at posting a love letter to the movie. I can't think of a more important, delightful film that's seen release in over a decade.

I love the film but have not yet contributed to the discussion. I have been planning on writing a proper review and was waiting until I did that to really think/write deeply about the film and post on this forum about it.
That doesn't really explain anything though, as it's not part of some pattern of non-discussion on the board but just a personal problem.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:54 am
majoraphasia wrote:

Exactly. There's so much there to discuss and we are talking about none of it. I just don't get it.

Trevor wrote:
I love the film but have not yet contributed to the discussion. I have been planning on writing a proper review and was waiting until I did that to really think/write deeply about the film and post on this forum about it. That doesn't really explain anything though, as it's not part of some pattern of non-discussion on the board but just a personal problem.

Writing that off as a personal problem is a bit short-sighted in my opinion. I mean, isn't the reason everyone is leaving due to a personal problem? If it's a personal choice to leave, then they left because of a person problem. Not addressing those problems when they are brought to your attention will only cause more people to leave.

As far as the pattern of non-discussion, you're right in that there is still discussion. I just don't enjoy the quality of that discussion. As long as people are coming to a message board there will be discussion taking place, but there is no guaranteee of quality. Now, I'm going to again give my opinion, and as a moderator you're free to do with it what you wish - I just hope you choose to do more than write it off as not explaining anything. I think quality folks are leaving because they see the drop in quality discussion. Those folks are being replaced with other posters who are your typical message board frequenters. They just don't have the same quality of posts. That's my issue with the board, and I'm pretty sure a good number of other posters have the same problem. Do with that what you wish, but please realize that it's a little offensive when you have a current state of the forum thread and when someone gives you their opinion, you marginalize it by saying it personal problems don't explain anything, when it's impossible for anyone to do anything but give their personal issues.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:22 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Exactly. There's so much there to discuss and we are talking about none of it. I just don't get it.

Pete, this might sound a little douchey so I'll start by saying that I dig your writing man. That stuff between you and Unke in the Last Movie You Watched thread on Inglourious Basterds was really something.

That said, I find it curious that you're complaining so much about the lack of threads on the movie and aren't doing anything about it. Why not start a thread now? It's not too late. We could all show a little more initiative, myself obviously included.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:22 pm