Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Can't wait to watch the game tonight! I get off work at 8 so I'll be getting home just in time to watch it. I'm so glad either the Titans or Steelers will be starting the season with a loss. I'd prefer it to be the Titans just because they are in the Colts division, but I won't be complaining either way.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 pm
Blergh, I hate NFL overtime. The Titans force Smiling Hines Ward to fumble and they really don't get a chance to make the Steelers pay. At least the Colts' divisional opponent lost.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Director

The Titans stopped blitzing. You can also thank Rob Bironas, arguably one of the better FG kickers in the league, for leaving 6 points on the board. I thought the secondary slacked some, the rush defense was great. Tough loss. This would've been a great statement game should we have won that we were for real. Still looked good though, Collins looked great, that was my main fear, I still believe in Vince Young, I'll admit it.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Yeah I thought the secondary of the Titans was lacking, but especially in the second half. There were way too many big plays through the passing game. It was all the Steelers had because their run game wasn't working. I think that was exactly what the Titans wanted, but the execution wasn't there. I'm still glad the Titans lost :lol:

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:16 am
pig nash wrote:
Blergh, I hate NFL overtime. The Titans force Smiling Hines Ward to fumble and they really don't get a chance to make the Steelers pay. At least the Colts' divisional opponent lost.

Well, next time their defense should play better. :D

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Sigh...the Lions still suck. What else is new?

At least AP is on my fantasy team. Perhaps I will find glory in my fantasy efforts.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:55 pm
Cutler sucks tonight. I've always found him overrated, but geez. Also, Colts won!

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:52 pm
I think I might have to nominate Jay Cutler as the best Packers QB since Favre.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:46 pm
Cutler's play was uninspiring, certainly, but why are people shocked by this? He's got talent that's he's never been able to totally put together. He'll be better than he was tonight, but this shouldn't be considered a huge deal one way or the other. The Bears have a lot more problems than Cutler, and he's a huge upgrade over what they've had in recent years.

Also, nothing the Vikings do matters until week 5 or 6.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:58 am
A few thoughts:

- Niners over Cards. This is a great way to start the season, and, to be frank, if the Niners can pull off wins over quality teams with their QB playing safe and running back rushing 22 times for 30 yards (!), who knows how well they could do at an altogether higher level? Very excited here.

- St. Louis, Carlina, and Detroit are jokes now until proven otherwise.

- The Vikings are a playoff team based on last night; AP hides their flaws and Favre should be able to rest in the role of offensive back-up (which, as good as Thomas Jones was last season, never belonged to Brett). I really think they could last as long as Favre doesn't over-exert. And the Jets front office isn't throwing away X-rays :)

- I can't WAIT for tonight's games. Can not.

- Drew Brees. I didn't love him last season, but he won me over with that game. Even against Detroit, those are Super-Man numbers.

I'd say the first week has been great so far, so many great stories finally beginning to take shape, so many changes of the guard, and at least a few players who are already in sore need of some redemption (right, Jay?). Let's hope it doesn't flag anytime soon.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:25 am
The Bills are going no huddle THE WHOLE GAME tonight. This doesn't sound like a winning formula against the Patriots... this will definitely be an interesting night.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Niners over Cards. This is a great way to start the season, and, to be frank, if the Niners can pull off wins over quality teams with their QB playing safe and running back rushing 22 times for 30 yards (!), who knows how well they could do at an altogether higher level? Very excited here.

I'll give the Niners their props, but the Cards are not a playoff team this year.

Still, as a Niners fan, you have the right to be excited.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
I really think they could last as long as Favre doesn't over-exert.

I'm glad you didn't say "unless" Favre over-exerts. It'll happen, the only question is whether it costs them some regular season games, a playoff game, etc.

Blace wrote:
The Bills are going no huddle THE WHOLE GAME tonight. This doesn't sound like a winning formula against the Patriots... this will definitely be an interesting night.

I don't think it's a losing formula. At least it shows some spice and desire to try to do something to throw the more talented team off. If you look at what the Rams or Panthers did...not a shred of inventiveness or misdirection, just bland, paint-by-numbers NFL football. That can work when you have talent, but those teams don't. So I'll give Buffalo props for at least not conceding the game before it starts.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:54 pm
They are doing it more because they fired their offensive coordinator not too long ago and don't know what they want to do. No huddle is really all they have at the moment.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 pm
Why do the Lions have to suck so bad? Jeebus Christo!

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:10 pm
Director

Bondurant wrote:

Two words: Matt Millen

That organization is still trying to recover from that guy's reign.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

Two words: Matt Millen

That organization is still trying to recover from that guy's reign.

Devoted Lions fan here. I know all about the horrors of Millen. Just check out my previous post. I shudder when I think of that man.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:38 pm
After watching Hard Knocks with the Bengals this preseason is it too much to ask for a winning season in Cincinatti? They absolutely got robbed by the Broncos. Obviously, they should have put more points on the board than 7 but that Stokley catch was ridiculous.

Troy Polamalu, out for 3 to 6 with MCL injury, Urlacher out for the season with a dislocated wrist, Anthony 'I'm not Tony' Gonzalez out for unknown time, and finally McNabb out unknown time as well, and thats just the first week.

The Packers game was surprisingly a defensive battle. Well actually it was the Bears defense vs. the Bear offense. Cutler kept giving the ball away as the Bears kept the insane Packers offense moderately quiet. I don't think I've seen a bigger crybaby in football my entire life than Cutler so him falling apart is just great to watch. The Bears hopes of winning the NFC North now seems like a long shot.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 pm
stiefmo wrote:
The Packers game was surprisingly a defensive battle. Well actually it was the Bears defense vs. the Bear offense. Cutler kept giving the ball away as the Bears kept the insane Packers offense moderately quiet. I don't think I've seen a bigger crybaby in football my entire life than Cutler so him falling apart is just great to watch. The Bears hopes of winning the NFC North now seems like a long shot.

I agree that Cutler made his own bed with his off-season whining, but this was just one game. I think it will be in his rearview mirror sooner than not. The performance which depressed me most was Jake Delhomme's abysmal start (which I was informed by ESPN makes for 12 tunrovers in his last two games!). Apparently, he might not be able to recover from his operation, which is a sad thought. He really made an unexpected vault into respectability with his Super Bowl runner-up season, and this seems like a likely (and depressing) coda to that run.

As for the Bears flat-out losing the NFC North - One game, really? Urlacher's injury hurts them, but then again, he is one of the most overrated defensive players of this decade. I don't think the game determines their season - but it puts their next few games into stark perspective. They had better find a solution (and some steady victories) very quickly.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 pm
On New England's finish:

....!

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:16 pm
Why can't the Bills freakin' finish games?! Argh. I hate the Patriots.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next