Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Recent DVD Purchases 
Post Recent DVD Purchases
Last week while shopping at Costco I found a movie set that I could not pass up. I bought The Coen Brothers Movie Collection that includes Fargo, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, and Barton Fink. The best part, it was priced at $16.99. Although I don't buy tons of movies, most that I buy are from Costco. I love that place.

I wanted to start this thread where we can post recent DVD purchases we have made. Make sure to add where you purchased them and at what price. I'm curious what you folks buy and how often when it comes to DVD's.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Spiderman 2, purchased off eBay for all of $1.00. And by widescreen they meant 'full screen'. And by 'official DVD pressing' they meant 'bootleg DVD-R copy recorded from television'.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Spiderman 2, purchased off eBay for all of $1.00. And by widescreen they meant 'full screen'. And by 'official DVD pressing' they meant 'bootleg DVD-R copy recorded from television'.

Oh Snap. ;)

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 pm
Pan's Labyrinth for $8 at Target.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:34 pm
Oh yeah, speaking of Target.

Bought myself The Big Lebowski 2-Disc 10th Anniversary thing there a couple weeks back for...I think it was 13 bucks.

Necessary purchase, after all these years.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Oh Snap. ;)

Good enough for the likes of me. I didn't like the first or third entries into the series and wasn't blown away by Spiderman 2. I'd say a butchered FX channel cut will do the trick.

Earlier tonight, at the local Blockbuster, I picked up a used copy of Heat for $5.00. A good find.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 pm
well, let me think. its not a movie but its still a dvd. left 4 dead. approximately, 2 USD. maybe. 2.20.

looking forward to it. especially with the new one coming.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 am
Yesterday at Wal-mart I found and bought The Terminator and T2 Special Edition DVD's for $7.50 each and an Alien 1-3 set for $13.00. That's 5 movies for under $30.

So, yeah. I'm kind of a big deal. :roll:

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:57 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Earlier tonight, at the local Blockbuster, I picked up a used copy of Heat for $5.00. A good find.

Man, you got to love those previewed movies. I've got a buddy who I swear has never paid more that $10 for a DVD. He has hundreds of them.

You know, that reminds me...I bought another Michael Mann movie on the cheap through Netflix a long time ago. Collateral, the 2-disc DVD for $6. Sweet deal. I don't think that Netflix sells previously viewed movies anymore, though. I can't find a link anywhere.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:47 pm
My most recent DVD purchases were for Juno, Hard Candy (yeah, I got a little thing for Ellen Page) and for the seemingly little-seen thriller Dead Again all for $20 at my local Blockbuster.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm
I purchased Chungking Express on Blu-ray not that long ago for a decent price (coupon and Borders savings brought the price down from $40 to around $20). I'll watch it when I visit east Asia for a movie marathon.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:09 pm
4 Lethal Weapon movies for $13.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 am
Costco, again, yesterday....

They had these actor collections that includes 3 movies from said actor. There was the George Clooney collection, the Drew Barrymore, the Cameron Diaz, the Denzel Washington...

The one collection I had in my basket for a while was the Arnold collection that included Commando, Predator, and True Lies...for $8.79. After much battling with myself...I opted for the case of Newcastle. Maybe next trip.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:54 am
Allright...bought a few the last few weeks.

First off, have to thank Mr. Rob Holloway (miss that guy). My wife comes out of no where to tell me she wants to watch some films with me...most of which are musicals involving Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, but then she mentions a film where all that she remembers is that a mansion burns down at the end of the film. Oh yeah, it's a black and white film. That's the extent of what she remembers, specifics-wise. Thank Google, we find out it's a Hitchcock film called Rebecca. Netflix does not have the film...so I message Rob, knowing him to be the Hitchcock expert.

Homeboy has the film in his collection. Then offers it up to me. He says, "I sell it you for 5 bucks and shipping." (Not in those words.) I send him 10 bucks. Awful nice of the guy. My wife and I still have to find a night to watch it together...but anyways...

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:12 am
So guess where I went...

Costco had the Stanley Kubrick Director Series Collection...Includes 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut, and Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures. The whole set...35 American dollars.

I feel I got hooked up.

Starting to get much interested in the Great Films, when I saw this set, I could not pass it up.

I also bought Singin' in the Rain for $8.99.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 am
Raging Bull, Bubba HoTep, and Hoosiers -- $4.99 each at Blockbuster.

Woo hoo!

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:33 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Raging Bull, Bubba HoTep, and Hoosiers -- $4.99 each at Blockbuster.

Woo hoo!

I took the boys to Blockbuster and grabbed a couple combo disc packages. Training Day/Fallen for myself and the boys picked out I, Robot/Independence Day. $8.99 a piece and a total of 18 dollars for 4 movies isn't bad at all...

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:49 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Homeboy has the film in his collection. Then offers it up to me. He says, "I sell it you for 5 bucks and shipping." (Not in those words.) I send him 10 bucks. Awful nice of the guy. My wife and I still have to find a night to watch it together...but anyways...

Funny you would mention that. Everytime I hear the name Rob Holloway, I think "Homeboy" too. :D

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:12 pm
Director

Was at Blockbuster tonight, ALMOST took a 3 for $20 deal of "Superbad" (one of my favorite all-time films that I don't have a copy of), "The Wrestler", and "Frost/Nixon", but passed because I wasn't sure how many more times I'd want to see both "Frost/Nixon" and "The Wrestler". I also want to get a copy of "Saw", I'm in the minority that thinks it's a brilliant horror movie, they had a new copy for $7.99, but I tried to work it somehow into the 3 for $20 deal but they said I couldn't do that. Almost bought "Reservoir Dogs" for $9.99 but passed because I could probably get it cheaper elsewhere. After a half hour or so of looking, I left with nothing. One of the few times I've left Blockbuster with zip.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:40 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Was at Blockbuster tonight, ALMOST took a 3 for $20 deal of "Superbad" (one of my favorite all-time films that I don't have a copy of), "The Wrestler", and "Frost/Nixon", but passed because I wasn't sure how many more times I'd want to see both "Frost/Nixon" and "The Wrestler". I also want to get a copy of "Saw", I'm in the minority that thinks it's a brilliant horror movie, they had a new copy for $7.99, but I tried to work it somehow into the 3 for $20 deal but they said I couldn't do that. Almost bought "Reservoir Dogs" for $9.99 but passed because I could probably get it cheaper elsewhere. After a half hour or so of looking, I left with nothing. One of the few times I've left Blockbuster with zip.

Blockbuster's sales are rarely worth it. They are always doing 4 for $20, 3 for $20, whatever. But they're mostly crap movies that you'd only want one of, so you end up paying $20 for one movie and getting 3 others you didn't really want.
Plus, you can find better deals at almost any other used record/DVD store with the added bonus of those DVDs not having the obnoxious Blockbuster cases.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next