Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post The Official NFL Thread
With the NFL season two weeks away and a whole legion of people going 'Why, Brett?', I have decided to make an official plaza for the NFL-lovers of the forum. I decided against calling this thread 'The Official Football Thread' because it might be confused with soccer. And nobody wants that :)

Stories so far this season:
- Brett Favre is a Viking, which means that, even if you're a jaded hamburlar-like demon from hell, you have two spots saved on your Tivos for each Vikings-Packers game of the season.
- Michael Vick is back after serving his time, and while he may not be able tom play right away, or play at all, it's worth noting that Donovan McNabb getting injured is as unlikely as death and taxes.
- Tom Brady is also back, and this means that the Pats could go back to the Bowl. Do you think the Steelers can hold them off and retain the crown?
- Will the New York Giants rebound from the whimper they left with last season. More to the point, will Eli Manning have a better passer rating than Jon Kitna this season? Is he overrated? Am I being harsh? We'll know for sure in three months.
- Can my boy Peyton Manning help the Colts overtake the Titans for AFC South supremacy?
- Can my other boy T.O. make a name for the Buffalo Bills? I can't wait to see (toe injury aside).
- Will my 49ers break .500? *Please God, PLEASE*
- Lastly, who wants to see Rex Ryan as Jets coach, in action? Am I the only one who thinks this is going to be an awesome regular season saga?

I look forward to hearing some thoughts on the upcoming season. I just know we have some football fans here ;)

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:30 pm
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
I've always hated Favre and nothing's going to change that, but I'm glad he's in Minny, where he's obviously wanted to be for a few years. There's no more room for excuses.

I think this will be a fun and strange year. I think New England will struggle a bit out of the gate -- Brady's looked scared at times -- but you obviously can't rule them out (although their age does seem to be catching up to them).

I don't think there are a lot of good teams. I think you could ask ten knowledgeable NFL fans who their top 5 teams were and Pittsburgh might be the only team to be on every list. We know the NFL is all about parity, but it seems a bit extreme this year.

I'll have more to say in the coming days, but those are my top two thoughts on the year. Hopefully there's a lot of solid NFL fans around here.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 am
I wonder if the same guys that frequented the basketball thread will be the only ones in the NFL thread too? We just need DunkinDan to chime in and it's a done deal.

I'm a diehard Eagles fan. I understand why we signed Vick, but I don't really like it. I'm not a moral crusader who thinks he shouldn't be allowed to play (in fact, I'm the opposite - he did his time, now he should be allowed to play), I just don't think he's going to help all that much. Our previous backup, Kevin Kolb, is young and unproven. He also sprained his knee in training camp and hasn't played in the preseason. We signed Vick because we needed some depth at QB and he was the best guy out there. It would make perfect sense if it was just a football move. Obviously, that isn't the case with Vick. The media circus surrounding him is completely unnecessary for the Eagles to take on for a guy who, in all likelihood, isn't going to play that much, barring injury. If Mcnabb stays healthy we will have signed Vick and have taken on this media circus for about 15-20 plays for the season. We have way too many, and more pressing, defensive issues (Jim Johnson's death, Dawkins' departure, Stew Bradley going down for the year) to worry about.

As for those bitch-ass Giants (I might be biased, but seriously, fuck them), they are going to have a down year. They lost a 1000 yard rusher, and a top 10 WR. Jacobs is a beast, but he's never proven he can carry the load for an entire year. The offense is going to be considerably worse, while the defense should be a little bit better by getting Osi back. Putting the onus on Eli, with a mediocre receiving corps, is a mistake. Evenflow is right, he's overrated - grossly so. He's a solid QB, but not even close to being one of the best in the game. I probably wouldn't even put him in the Top 10 (he may crack one of the last few spots).

The Jets will stink, but Rex Ryan should be entertaining as hell.

San Fran has the UMD alum Shaun Hill under center and that's OK by me. I love the crap out of that guy for taking us to the Orange Bowl. I also love the huge middle finger they have extended to Mr. Crabtree. What a douche.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:09 am
PeachyPete wrote:
San Fran has the UMD alum Shaun Hill under center and that's OK by me. I love the crap out of that guy for taking us to the Orange Bowl. I also love the huge middle finger they have extended to Mr. Crabtree. What a douche.

I think I stand for ever 49ers fan when I say 'Fuck you, Michael Crabtree'. He is holding out over his supposed value from pre-draft speculation and the offer that ANOTHER rookie got. This is also indicative of the problems that are developing with the NFL draft.

P.S. - Eli Manning lost all of my respect right away by doing exactly what Crabtree is doing a few years back. He regained some of it with the game-winning play against NE in 2008, but proceeded to spoil it with his funk directly after Plax left. Great, and even really good, quarterbacks don't need their #1 receiver to be borderline functional, but apparently, he does. Overall, he has too much baggage as a diva (his selfish act might have been a precedent-setter, as well) - basically, if he wanted respect, he should have earned it like Peyton did, through years of hard work. But no, he was above all of that, and now he has no room to grow on a team which requires low numbers out of him even when he is good. Bummer :)

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 am
Going into training camp, I was very excited for my Seahawks. Starting with the draft, we had Aaron Curry fall right into our lap, then got a pretty good receiver in Deon Butler. Matt Hasselbeck is healthy. Now my enthusiasm has waned a bit. Injuries to key offensive lineman (including losing Walter Jones for probably a chunk of the season) has dampened my spirits a bit. But I'm still optimistic that we'll be able to compete in the NFC West with Arizona and an up and coming 49er team.

I must say, as a Vikings fan, I don't like the signing of Brett Favre. Tarvaris Jackson showed much improvement when filling in for Frerotte late last year, leading the Vikings to the division title. Now you want to hand the team over to a 40 year old who didn't have a good year last season and could retire again at any moment, only to show up playing for someone else? Give me a break.

And Phil, I do think the 49ers will be at least a .500 club this year. Shaun Hill impressed me last year, Singletary is going to be a great coach, and Crabtree won't be a distraction because he won't be with the team (man, am I glad the Seahawks didn't draft him. They probably would have if Curry hadn't fallen to them).

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:59 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
With the NFL season two weeks away and a whole legion of people going 'Why, Brett?', I have decided to make an official plaza for the NFL-lovers of the forum. I decided against calling this thread 'The Official Football Thread' because it might be confused with soccer. And nobody wants that :)

Stories so far this season:
- Brett Favre is a Viking, which means that, even if you're a jaded hamburlar-like demon from hell, you have two spots saved on your Tivos for each Vikings-Packers game of the season.

To think I used to be a fan of Favre, I'm sick of his BS, his selfishness and indecisiveness has been put on display yet again this offseason. He needs to think about the teams that are waiting on him and be fair to them, but it's always about him.

Quote:
- Michael Vick is back after serving his time, and while he may not be able tom play right away, or play at all, it's worth noting that Donovan McNabb getting injured is as unlikely as death and taxes.

I live about 45 minutes from Philadelphia and I work, for the time being (since I'm a poor college student) at a pet store part-time, so let's just say there's been plenty of talk about the Vick situation. I'm a fan of Vick, I think he sounds remorseful and ready to make a new name for himself. McNabb has gotten hurt before at the worse times, so you never know too.

Quote:
- Tom Brady is also back, and this means that the Pats could go back to the Bowl. Do you think the Steelers can hold them off and retain the crown?

I would say so. Not to say that Matt Cassell did a bad job for them last year (actually quite good), but they nearly made the playoffs with HIM last year. With Brady back, I think they're the favorite.

Quote:
- Will the New York Giants rebound from the whimper they left with last season. More to the point, will Eli Manning have a better passer rating than Jon Kitna this season? Is he overrated? Am I being harsh? We'll know for sure in three months.

Come on now, they had a good regular season, the Eagles just came to energized and for some reason were not going to lose that game. Manning is good, but I'll be curious to see if he gets a little lazy out there from time to time now that he has his big contract, sometimes players get their pay day and will lose a couple steps because of it.

Quote:
- Can my boy Peyton Manning help the Titans overtake the Titans for AFC South supremacy? Can my other boy T.O. make a name for the Buffalo Bills? I can't wait to see (toe injury aside).

And by "Titans" you mean Colts. Possibly, I'm a Titans fan myself and right now the QB situation is weird, Young has been playing well in preseason, Collins threw 2 interceptions one day, but for some reason Fisher still wants Collins to start? I don't know, Young is their future, Collins had a good season last year but they didn't get past the first playoff game (which is embarrassing considering what a great regular season they had). It's a tough question, that's for sure. As far as T.O., I don't think so, I think they'll be ok but not a playoff team or anything.

Quote:
- Lastly, who wants to see Rex Ryan as Jets coach, in action? Am I the only one who thinks this is going to be an awesome regular season saga?

Manginee wasn't a huge hit in New York, that's for sure, this will be a good year to be a Jets fan, it's looking like Sanchez might be the real deal.

Quote:
- Will my 49ers break .500? *Please God, PLEASE*

Possibly. I'm a fan of Mike Singletary and how he handled that team after taking over midway through last year. I think they might be hovering around .500, might get past it if they're lucky.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Evenflow8112 wrote:
- Can my boy Peyton Manning help the Colts overtake the Titans for AFC South supremacy?
I look forward to hearing some thoughts on the upcoming season. I just know we have some football fans here ;)

Oh, I'm going to enjoy having a fellow Colts fan on here. I've been watching every game of the Colts for years now and even been to a few. I live close to Indy. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what Caldwell can do with the team.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 pm
Blace wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Oh, I'm going to enjoy having a fellow Colts fan on here. I've been watching every game of the Colts for years now and even been to a few. I live close to Indy. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what Caldwell can do with the team.

I am a 49ers fan first and foremost (my other 'fave' West Coast sports team other than The Mariners - who are having a winning season by God's divine mercy), but that being said, I consider certain players, like Peyton Manning, Terrell Owens, Adrian Peterson, and Big Ben to be so amazing that I will root for them to be successful, whether or not I 'like' the team they are on - unless it's against the 49ers. Not every player is made equal.

I hate the Titans, though. They are easily on my Bottom 5 favorite NFL teams. I hate everything about them, and I actively enjoyed (and predicted!) their loss to the Ravens in last year's playoffs.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:27 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Blace wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I am a 49ers fan first and foremost (my other 'fave' West Coast sports team other than The Mariners - who are having a winning season by God's divine mercy), but that being said, I consider certain players, like Peyton Manning, Terrell Owens, Adrian Peterson, and Big Ben to be so amazing that I will root for them to be successful, whether or not I 'like' the team they are on - unless it's against the 49ers. Not every player is made equal.

I hate the Titans, though. They are easily on my Bottom 5 favorite NFL teams. I hate everything about them, and I actively enjoyed (and predicted!) their loss to the Ravens in last year's playoffs.

I hate the Titans too (for obvious reasons), but them stomping on the terrible towel last year was the final straw.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:34 pm
Blace wrote:
I hate the Titans too (for obvious reasons), but them stomping on the terrible towel last year was the final straw.

I don't really feel one way or the other about the Titans, but stomping on the terrible towl was awesome. A great way to talk shit and start a rivalry. I love that those 2 teams play Week 1.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Blace wrote:

I don't really feel one way or the other about the Titans, but stomping on the terrible towl was awesome. A great way to talk shit and start a rivalry. I love that those 2 teams play Week 1.

I love that they play each other too. It means one of them is gonna have a loss the first week of the season. :lol:

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Blace wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Uh, why? The only real obnoxious players on their team was Haynesworth for his stomp against the Cowboys, and Pacman Jones. They're both gone now. We just had bad luck with Jones, he was awesome when we had him, but they did the right thing letting him go. Vince Young has a bit of a mouth, but it's not like they're a historically unlikeable team. Steve McNair (RIP), my favorite all-time player, was as classy as you'll get. Same goes for Eddie George, that team was a fun, energetic squad. Also, Fisher is the longest tenured coach in the league, he's remained loyal to them and he's one of the best coaches in the league. Plus, Collins is one of the more soft-spoken guys in the league, and he was a great leader last year. If you hate them because they're good, well okay, but they're nothing like, say, the Eagles with T.O. and McNabb when they thought they were better than God himself.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
My first and main thought in this thread is the following:

GO, BOLTS!!!

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:25 pm
Things haven't started well for my Cowboys, with the collapse of their practice facility (hopefully this won't be a reflection of the season to come...), the rather lackluster preseason so far, and the low-hanging scoreboard at the new stadium. But...T.O. is gone (thank God), and Tony Romo is hopefully ready for a good season where he doesn't implode during the most critical moment. And Jessica Simpson is out of the picture.

As much as I have hated the Niners over the years, I LOVE Singletary (sic 'em Bears), and will have a very hard time rooting against him.

I honestly haven't been paying much attention to things so far. The worse the Cowboys do in the preseason, the better the regular season (typically). So I try to ignore the preseason and not stress about it.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 pm
Dan: I won't pretend to rationalize my dislike for the Titans. It's unexplainable, but I simply despise them, in any incarnation. Lots of people dislike lots of teams, and I never see rationality in it, but at the same time I understand. It's a subjective thing, and people/teams can simply rub me the wrong way whether it's their attitude, style, hype, or some combination of the three. Just know that the Titans scoring 10 points in a playoff game made my weekend. And as good as McNair was (may he rest in peace), Peyton Manning was the much better of the two, regardless of the MVP title they shared.

HomerJ: I never take the pre-season seriously. Now, this is not to say that I don't get worried if a supposed playoff team goes 0 for 4 - it is alarming - but it tells you next to nothing about how the team will play for four quarters and has a negligible impact on the outcome of the season. As much as people like to disparage T.O., I think the Cowboys as a franchise pride themselves on a recent history they don't have - no matter how good they have looked over the past decade, they have managed to squander it consistently. If you want to label Terrell Owens a scapegoat, fine, but he's been to a Super Bowl and made key game-winning plays in the post-season. Romo has done neither. The Cowboy's issues might very well be deeper than a rebellious receiver.

P.S. - I totally get disliking the 49ers, but Mike Singletary is a man's man. I don't see how you can harbor even the tiniest resentment towards a competitor as pure and honest as he is. He was made to play football and genuinely loves what he does. He is the best 49ers front office decision since Julian Peterson. I just hope they don't bungle this, too.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:10 pm
I didn't mean to imply that there was ANY resentment toward Mike Singletary. He is, without a doubt, one of my favorite players. Ever. We went to the same undergrad (Baylor), although he preceded me by a few years. BU still proudly displays the helmets Singletary cracked on the playing field with his monster hits. A classy guy throughout his playing days, which makes me actually semi-like the Niners now, much to my dismay. It's hard to shrug off years of resentment (plus, my brother-in-law is a Niners fan, which isn't makin' it any easier...)

And your point regarding the Cowboys is also well taken. Unfortunately, they have squandered MANY chances on the field, and Romo, despite all the hype, has yet to prove himself under pressure. I've come very close to breaking the TV many times in the last few years, watching him fumble and screw up when the game was on the line.

No doubt the Cowboys have much bigger problems than T.O., but I don't think he was helping matters any, and I'm glad to see him go. Scapegoat? Maybe a little, but for all his "throw me the ball" talk, he let a great many passes slip through his fingers the last few years. Sound and fury, I says. Go do your "reality" show, T.O.

What have the Cowboys done lately? Nothing. Why do I still root for them every Sunday? Years of habit, my friend. I live and die with them, and it's completely irrational.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Dan: I won't pretend to rationalize my dislike for the Titans. It's unexplainable, but I simply despise them, in any incarnation. Lots of people dislike lost of teams, and I never see rationality in it, but at the same time I understand. It's a subjective thing, and people/teams can simply rub me the wrong way whether it's their attitude, style, hype, or some combination of the three. Just know that the Titans scoring 10 points in a playoff game made my weekend. And as good as McNair was (may he rest in peace), Peyton Manning was the much better of the two, regardless of the MVP title they shared.

Haha, well that I can live with. Well most of the teams I hate (Yankees, Lakers, and the Patriots) I have good reasons for. For the Yanks, well, they're the Sox rival (my loyalties are all over the place, that's what happens when you live in a state that doesn't have any professional teams, you just pick teams for inexplicable reasons like me, I'm a Spurs fan, a Titans fan, and a Red Sox fan), so I automatically hate them. I actually didn't mind the Lakers for a while, I actually remember pulling for them in the 2000 Finals, but after Shaq and Kobe got that first ring, their egos took off I just began hating Kobe to an uncontrollable degree, which I still do today, although I don't mind Shaq that much anymore (even though he completely stole that new reality show he has on ABC right now from Steve Nash, who came up with the original idea, but what are you gonna do?). As far as the Patriots, I regard them as cheaters ever since that New York Jets scandal, which doesn't surprise me because Bill Belichick just looks like a sneaky guy.

As far as the Peyton-Steve thing, remember that Steve played injured for most of every season it seemed like. The guy was the definition of a warrior, and God knows how good he would've been if he had been blessed with good health for a majority of his career.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
I'm a diehard Eagles fan. I understand why we signed Vick, but I don't really like it. I'm not a moral crusader who thinks he shouldn't be allowed to play (in fact, I'm the opposite - he did his time, now he should be allowed to play), I just don't think he's going to help all that much. Our previous backup, Kevin Kolb, is young and unproven. He also sprained his knee in training camp and hasn't played in the preseason. We signed Vick because we needed some depth at QB and he was the best guy out there. It would make perfect sense if it was just a football move. Obviously, that isn't the case with Vick. The media circus surrounding him is completely unnecessary for the Eagles to take on for a guy who, in all likelihood, isn't going to play that much, barring injury. If Mcnabb stays healthy we will have signed Vick and have taken on this media circus for about 15-20 plays for the season. We have way too many, and more pressing, defensive issues (Jim Johnson's death, Dawkins' departure, Stew Bradley going down for the year) to worry about.
[/quote]

Wow, also being a diehard Eagles fan, I could not have put it any better. To me, the Vick signing bothered me for football reasons(I never found him to be all that good) and the accompanying circus just isn't worth it.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Now, this is not to say that I don't get worried if a supposed playoff team goes 0 for 4 - it is alarming -

The Colts had been 0-4 in the preseason 4 years in a row until this year.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 pm
A couple of things...

1.) Michael Crabtree was mentioned. You know what San Fran should do? Call his bluff. Tell him if he wants to refuse to accept their offers he can go into the draft again next year. If that happens, and it's very unlikely, Crabs won't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting drafted higher then 1oth overall. There's no way he'll improve his stock by not playing so he'll sign eventually. Besides, this season will be a wash for him anyways so there's no rush.

2.) There are no clear SB favorites. NE gets Brady back but their defense doesn't strike me as great. Especially the secondary. Teams don't repeat often, and I don't place the Steelers among those teams that do. The Cardinals aren't a contender in the slightest. The Titans had their chance last year but couldn't cash it in. The Eagles, Giants and Panthers may make it to the SB but I don't believe any of them will win it. My early favorite? The Chargers. Rivers is coming into his own and that defense will be better. Besides, they're the type of team that gets real hot when it matters.

3.) Favre's an ass and not much of an improvement on Sage Rosenfals at this point.

4.) Denver won't be as bad as people think. They won't be good but not noticeably worst than the last years of Shanahan. Besides, even though I feel Jay Cutler is a good QB he's also a douchebag playing a position that doesn't have much room for douchebags. Brandon Marshall won't be in Denver this time next year, btw.

5.) Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco will have sophomore slumps. I'm not saying they weren't good last season, I'm just saying they're not quite the prodigies everyone is acting like they are. Besides, the more tape defensive coordinators have on a guy the more stuff they will throw at said player. It'll be tough on both of them and I'm interested to see how they respond.

6.) Mark Sanchez will play better than Matthew Stafford but not by much. They'll both have decent rookie seasons.

7.) Adrian Peterson won't be able to finish all 16 games and won't win the rushing title. That will go to DeAngelo Williams who will legitimately argued as the best RB in the league by season's end. Reggie Bush will continue to suck.

Ok, seven thoughts are enough. I was going to go with ten but I'm tired so screw it. :)

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next