Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 am

Poll #13: Opening credits 

What opening credits style do you prefer?
The whole thing 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
Production & Title 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Title only 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
No credits whatsoever 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 34

Poll #13: Opening credits 
Post Poll #13: Opening credits
Forgive the delay, I kinda forgot about making a new poll. Anyways, the poll's self-explanatory

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm
Post Re: Poll #13: Opening credits
I like the whole thing and I'll tell you why. Most times when I see a title-only or production & title, I'm kinda going "Who's that guy, who's that guy, who's that guy" to guys who may look familiar and I don't like that. Besides, the whole opening credits are sometimes like a short film and it's awesome.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:11 pm
Watch 'Se7en' for a great example of 'the whole thing'. Although lack of credits can be an asset, an introduction that is able to include credits while firmly establishing the storyline, the character's motivations, and even the overall mood of the film is preferable.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:18 pm
I'm in with 'The Whole Thing'. It's either that or none. If you do credits, do them all. Sometimes you can use no credits to your advantage to throw the viewer right into a situation and create some confusion and tension, but other than that, I say go with all of them. Woody Allen comes to mind as an example. His credits are usually accompanied with some kind of jazz song to set a certain mood. Granted, there isn't much visual flair to them, but the music is usually used pretty well. As Evenflow mentioned, Fincher seems adept at using the opening credits to his advantage. A fully realized opening credits sequence can really help a film become fully realized. It sets a tone and gets the brain moving in the right direction.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:27 pm
You know what, it doesn't take to much to impress me. I'm never really one to say..."Damn, that was a shitty way to the opening credits." That is unless I mention The Talented Mr. Ripley.

If it's done well, I like the entire credit sequence. Seven, Fight Club, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, City Slickers, Catch Me if You Can, most of the Pixar movies... Like someone said, it's kind of a short film.

Title onlys that I've liked are The Departed, Citizen Kane, The Godfather, among others...but maybe the only reason is because they are such great movies.

Does the flaming blue bat on Dark Knight count as a credit?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:05 pm
I admire a film that simply starts, that doesn't waste any time telling its story. Don't get me wrong; I'm fine with credits. My choice is derived more from adoration than preference. I don't know... I guess credits strike me as an end-of-movie kind of thing. You should let the movie speak for itself until it's done, I guess.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:58 am
This is kind of a silly question, yeah?

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm
Kyle wrote:
This is kind of a silly question, yeah?

Less silly than NC vs. the AVGN

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm
I dunno, I've voted in all of the last three polls, but I do think you can do much better, Pat(Rick). Nevertheless, this is much better than that Uwe Boll stuff. I can't stand that guy.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:16 pm
I like it when there aren't any credits because I don't care to sit through the same boring credits for every movie. Then again, when a film has fantastic opening credits (Monty Python & The Holy Grail, Alien) it adds to the overall experience.

In short: I'm undecided, so I didn't vote.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:38 pm
Generally, I like to see them keep it simple--the title of the movie will do fine. Most movies are best getting right to it. There are, of course, exceptions. Someone above mentioned Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And I'd also mention Superman: the Movie as a film that turns the opening credits into a remarkable visual feature of their own.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:21 pm
The best opening credits I've seen in a recent film was in Watchmen.

I think films should at least have the title at the beginning, although a logo can work (like in Ghostbusters II, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight).

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:35 pm
Just get to the point. Title only is just fine. I liked how they did that for The Departed. 15 minutes in and just out of the blues..I liked that.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:18 pm
No credits. Not now, not ever. I don't want a title, a list of actors, nothing. Just show the movie. The worst title sequences are the ones like Hellboy 2. Its a sequence that wastes roughly 5 minutes of my life so I can find out who the key grip was. Damn it, I just want to see Hellboy kicking ass, I could care less who fed Guillermo his alloted 16 daily sandwiches.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 pm
I, along with 6 others, went with 'Title Only'.

This isn't always my preference. Films from The Great Era (ie the 30s, 40s, and 50s) don't have to drop their title cards -- that's the expected experience and that's great by me.

Modern movies, however, don't need the full sequence. I like my story jumped right into. Fight Club had a cool title sequence and Watchmen had a neat use of titles over all kinds of story-relevant stuff. Oh! And Panic Room! The titles were the only good thing about that movie!

Which one did I vote for again?

Ah, yes.

The only thing I'm slightly uncomfortable with in titles is the "A Film By" credit for the director. I never like seeing that -- it kind of diminishes the role of tons of people that had equal say in the film's being. But that's just me. I don't think anyone has earned "A Film By" credit unless they managed to pull off the impossible feat of doing every damned thing in the production. Again: that's just me.

Now. Where was I?

*gets tattoo of "John G. Raped And Killed Your Wife" on his left nipple

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:12 am