Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:29 am

August 12, 2009: "1989" 
Post Re: August 12, 2009: "1989"
Raf wrote:
I'm not sure what Evenflow8112 is trying to say. Did you like Black Rain or not?

I suppose James was referring to the excellent 1989 drama 'Black Rain', or 'Kuroi Ame', by Shohei Imamura, when he spoke of the 1989 Michael Douglas vehicle. I was simply nonplussed that he called 'Black Rain' a documentary. Nevertheless, of all the films with the title 'Black Rain', 'Kuroi Ame' is easily the best, so at least this gave me the opportunity to mention that unsung (and shattering) relic to some depth.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:35 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Raf wrote:
I'm not sure what Evenflow8112 is trying to say. Did you like Black Rain or not?

I suppose James was referring to the excellent 1989 drama 'Black Rain', or 'Kuroi Ame', by Shohei Imamura, when he spoke of the 1989 Michael Douglas vehicle. I was simply nonplussed that he called 'Black Rain' a documentary. Nevertheless, of all the films with the title 'Black Rain', 'Kuroi Ame' is easily the best, so at least this gave me the opportunity to mention that unsung (and shattering) relic to some depth.
Excellent, Black Rain has to be one of the most boring pieces of garbage i've ever seen, it was wAAYYYYY too long for it's own good, at least 20 minutes could've been trimmed, and even Douglas looked way out of his element in the film.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm
Vexer wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Raf wrote:

Excellent, Black Rain has to be one of the most boring pieces of garbage i've ever seen, it was wAAYYYYY too long for it's own good, at least 20 minutes could've been trimmed, and even Douglas looked way out of his element in the film.

Dude. re-read my post. I never said the 1989 Michael Douglas version of 'Black Rain' was good. The Japanese film from the same year, however, is a near masterpiece that will give even hardened film buffs a kick in the head.

And I agree, although finding Michael Douglas out of his element is none too rare a discovery.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 pm
Vexer wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Raf wrote:

Evenflow's talking about a different Black Rain...he hates the Douglas one.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:32 pm
Oh, didn't know there was another film by the same name. Glad i'm not the only person who hates the Douglas film.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:11 pm
I've always found Burton's Batman to be a visionary masterpiece, and Batman Returns to be a bizarre, weird, ugly sequel. I suppose you gave some of your reasons for liking it (Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman), although I'd be very interested in your review of it. You should cook the books and go ahead into the first three years of the 90s, since you set up the end of this in such cliffhanger fashion ("And then came 1992, when everything changed...")

I'm curious: what was your opinion of [i]Dead Poets Society[i]? I've always felt that it was a manipulative, simpleminded, vastly overrated film.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:56 am
Site Admin

Max M. wrote:

I'm curious: what was your opinion of [i]Dead Poets Society[i]? I've always felt that it was a manipulative, simpleminded, vastly overrated film.

I kind-of liked it when I saw it, but I have not revisited it, and providing anything approaching a detailed opinion based on something I haven't seen in 20 years is entering dangerous territory.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Max M. wrote:
I've always found Burton's Batman to be a visionary masterpiece, and Batman Returns to be a bizarre, weird, ugly sequel. I suppose you gave some of your reasons for liking it (Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman), although I'd be very interested in your review of it. You should cook the books and go ahead into the first three years of the 90s, since you set up the end of this in such cliffhanger fashion ("And then came 1992, when everything changed...")

I can agree with your opinion on Dead Poets Society, I vividly remember when I was forced to watch that in school, it was a truly agonizing experience, I actually think Williams gives one of his worst performances in that film, practically everything he said was cliched beyond belief.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 am
I too am a bit perplexed about the omission of Do the Right Thing, unless it's simply a reflection of the fact that you just happened not to see it. But if that's so, it sort of illustrates how necessary it is to underscore the fact that these reminiscences, while interesting from an autobiographical standpoint, are a bit limited from a historical standpoint. Nevertheless, like the woman who said if you bound them into a nice book she would buy it, I too would probably plunk down the fifteen bucks and buy it--because of its value as memoir.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:56 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

No. no. no, Evenflow8112. I was referring to your spolier block. When I clicked on it, there was nothing but random gibberish.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 am
Raf wrote:
No. no. no, Evenflow8112. I was referring to your spolier block. When I clicked on it, there was nothing but random gibberish.

Oh.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
That was outrage expressed in mess-text.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 pm
Site Admin

brettrobbins wrote:
I too am a bit perplexed about the omission of Do the Right Thing, unless it's simply a reflection of the fact that you just happened not to see it. But if that's so, it sort of illustrates how necessary it is to underscore the fact that these reminiscences, while interesting from an autobiographical standpoint, are a bit limited from a historical standpoint. Nevertheless, like the woman who said if you bound them into a nice book she would buy it, I too would probably plunk down the fifteen bucks and buy it--because of its value as memoir.

I didn't see DO THE RIGHT THING until 1995. (The first Spike Lee film I saw was MALCOLM X.) I don't think I even heard of DTRT in 1989, and I certainly didn't consider seeing it. (It did not play in the university multiplex. I suppose it probably played at the Ritz, but I rarely went there while I was at Penn.) It didn't make sense to mention it in this column; as I said in the introduction, these are meant to be personal reflections not historical regurgitations. I also only mention news stories that left an impression on me at the time.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
I don't think I even heard of DTRT in 1989

Seriously? It got quite a bit of attention in '89, was on pretty much every critic's 10 best list that year. I remember there being quite a lot of attention on whether it would get any major Oscar noms. Think Nightline even dedicated an episode about some of the 'controversy' about its subject matter.
I was a teenager in small town PA at the time & it was definitely on me & my friends radar(didn't see it until it came out on video though)

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm