Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:08 am

Amazon click-through 
Post Amazon click-through
I tend to think myself a pretty savvy internet person, but since there isn't any visual feedback, I'm not sure if I'm using your Amazon click-through link properly. I recently made a $300 or so purchase through Amazon, but came to your site first, clicked through the Amazon link and then loaded up my cart and checked out. Is this all I need to do?

I ask because by the end of the year I plan on doing some more Amazon shopping (and it will be possibly a very large purchase or two) and want to make sure you get the click-through.

They would make this process a hell-of-a-lot easier if they would allow you to either pick the website you clicked through from, from a drop down list, or give you some visual indicator that you are purchasing from their site from a click-through.

In addition, is it only movies you get paid for from Amazon purchases, or is it anything they offer?

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:51 am
Post Re: Amazon click-through
That's a very good question. How the Amazon ads work is that if you access amazon through any of James's links he will get a comission on whatever you buy. So since you went through amazon through his links, he will get a commission of your very large purchase, all the items not just the movies.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 am
I wonder how they do this though.

I also made a purchase a while back. The Amazon page you land on embeds the Reelviews URL into the URL for the item. However, as soon as I clicked another item the Reelviews URL disappeared leaving me wondering if it was worth the effort.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:

I also made a purchase a while back. The Amazon page you land on embeds the Reelviews URL into the URL for the item. However, as soon as I clicked another item the Reelviews URL disappeared leaving me wondering if it was worth the effort.

It seems to work, though, because I have gotten commissions on a lot of things I haven't linked to. The way it's supposed to work is that if you use one of my links to access amazon, everything you buy during that visit (before leaving the site) credits a commission to me. You have to buy it during the visit, though - putting it in a cart isn't sufficient. I have lost commissions because people have used my link to go to amazon, put some items in their cart, left the site, then come back later to make the purchase.

Apparently, the referring URL gets lost as soon as you leave the site.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

It seems to work, though, because I have gotten commissions on a lot of things I haven't linked to. The way it's supposed to work is that if you use one of my links to access amazon, everything you buy during that visit (before leaving the site) credits a commission to me. You have to buy it during the visit, though - putting it in a cart isn't sufficient. I have lost commissions because people have used my link to go to amazon, put some items in their cart, left the site, then come back later to make the purchase.

Apparently, the referring URL gets lost as soon as you leave the site.

Whenever I clicked another item the Reelviews URL was no longer embedded in the whole URL. I don't know if they keep tracking with a cookie or if they convert the referrer's URL into a kind of short hand code and embed it afterwards. Either way, I added to cart and proceeded to checkout right away.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:43 pm