Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 am

Feedback 
Post Feedback
Hi everyone,

If you have any suggestions for this part of the forum, please out them in here.

And while you're at it, why not ask James why he never contributes to this section of HIS FORUM?

That's right, not one post in 6 months

Many thanks
Rob

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 pm
Post Re: Feedback
Is there any way that the topics could be sorted alphabetically rather than by the most recent post?

It'd just be a little hard to find the correct ones.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:31 pm
jbucksnb wrote:
Is there any way that the topics could be sorted alphabetically rather than by the most recent post?

It'd just be a little hard to find the correct ones.

I was thinking about this too. Or rather, I was thinking about whether it would work better if they were ordered by number.

It all depends on how people use this forum. If they want to talk about a specific movie on the list, then that would be better. But if most people just want to check in and see what the newest post is/what people are discussing right now, then the way it is right now is fine.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:34 pm
If we sticky all the topics, it won't make the topics stick to where they are...if that makes sense. Hmmm...lemme put it this way, if we make all the topics stickies, we might as well not stickied anything at all

Anyways, I'm not sure if we could actually sort it.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 pm
Patrick wrote:
If we sticky all the topics, it won't make the topics stick to where they are...if that makes sense. Hmmm...lemme put it this way, if we make all the topics stickies, we might as well not stickied anything at all

Anyways, I'm not sure if we could actually sort it.

Yeah, we would probably have to re-post everything, so that's not worth it.
I was assuming there was a way to re-order threads or modify the time posted manually but apparently not.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Cinematographer

This is a great idea. It is WAY easier to participate in and keep track of than the Cinematic Journey thread (which is now entering page 30, I believe).

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:29 pm
This is an excellent idea and a nice addition to the forum. Thanks for this.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 am
Thanks for all the nice feedback both on the forum and via PM

The idea was actually first put forward by Patrick as a way to help involvement and navigation. Thanks to him too!

Rob

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:31 pm
I think two topics that do need to be stickied are the Introductions and Guidelines and this one. Both are more related to the general upkeep of the forum instead of the movies themselves, and should be kept for beginners and moderators to access easily. Just my opinion.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:54 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
I think two topics that do need to be stickied are the Introductions and Guidelines and this one. Both are more related to the general upkeep of the forum instead of the movies themselves, and should be kept for beginners and moderators to access easily. Just my opinion.

Hi Zepp

I have stickied the list itself, the intro and the feedback area.

On a side note. I did my best to find all your reviews on the journey thread. Please feel free to move over any I might have missed

Cheers
Rob

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:37 pm
An idea. Please let me know if you think it's useful or useless

One of the challenges of watching some of these movies is actually locating them

We could start a thread called Watching Great Movies

In the thread people could publish times that the films were on film channels (TCM etc) or new DVd releases. Fo=r example Criterion is working their way through the list.

What do you think.

I'd also put a list of URL's to movies that were not available on DVD, but were available on line (You Tube etc) NOT TORRENTS

Let me know
Rob

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:20 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

One of the challenges of watching some of these movies is actually locating them

In the thread people could publish times that the films were on film channels (TCM etc) or new DVd releases. Fo=r example Criterion is working their way through the list.

What do you think.

I'd also put a list of URL's to movies that were not available on DVD, but were available on line (You Tube etc) NOT TORRENTS

Let me know
Rob

That's not a bad idea...I'm not sure about linking to places like YouTube or the like cause they're not the best places to watch movies and they could possibly be taken down or whatnot.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:56 am
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

What do you think.

Let me know
Rob

That's not a bad idea...I'm not sure about linking to places like YouTube or the like cause they're not the best places to watch movies and they could possibly be taken down or whatnot.

Hi Patrick

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a risk that the link dies. However, the films i saw on You Tube seem to have been there for some time

If a few more like the idea I'll take it on. I think I'll title it "Finding Great Movies". The first title was lame.

Rob

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:40 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

Why not torrents? Bittorrent itself is not illegal, it's just that most of what gets distributed over torrents is. However, for films where the copyright has expired I think torrents are a legitimate solution. In most cases, the quality of a copyright expired torrent will exceed that of youtube. As an added bonus to those who don't like staring at a computer monitor the movie can be burned off to a dvd.

Any movie released prior to 1923 has no copyright. After that, YMMV.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:55 pm
Cinematographer

Regarding the legality of torrents:

It is NOT illegal to torrent.
It IS illegal to share something that you have torrented (through seeding or just by giving it out to friends).
It IS illegal for ISPs to allow you to torrent if they find out that you are. However, this happens very rarely, and it usually happens more with music and video games. If you are torrenting something and your ISP finds out, you will get an email saying "Stop this, if you don't, we will throttle your service, and if you keep doing it after that, we will disconnect you."

Just thought that I would throw that out there.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:13 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Regarding the legality of torrents:

It is NOT illegal to torrent.
It IS illegal to share something that you have torrented (through seeding or just by giving it out to friends).
It IS illegal for ISPs to allow you to torrent if they find out that you are. However, this happens very rarely, and it usually happens more with music and video games. If you are torrenting something and your ISP finds out, you will get an email saying "Stop this, if you don't, we will throttle your service, and if you keep doing it after that, we will disconnect you."

Just thought that I would throw that out there.

The thing about downloading using bittorrent, the things that makes it work so well but also risky, is that you are necessarily sharing the content that you are downloading while you are downloading it.
That's what makes it a great delivery method. But it also means you are treading dangerous waters if you download copyrighted content. No matter if you keep seeding after you finish the download, you are already sharing it while you download.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:17 pm
This is a dodgy area.

After the recent issues with Pirate Bay the rules are not clear.

We don't want this forum and James site to become a center of potentially illegal downloads

Here's my advice

If you're into downloading torrents you already know where to do it and how. So go there, do what you do, and be happy.

Otherwise let's keep this site free of this until the law is 100% clear.

OK?
Rob

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 am
Cinematographer

Trevor wrote:
The thing about downloading using bittorrent, the things that makes it work so well but also risky, is that you are necessarily sharing the content that you are downloading while you are downloading it.
That's what makes it a great delivery method. But it also means you are treading dangerous waters if you download copyrighted content. No matter if you keep seeding after you finish the download, you are already sharing it while you download.

Actually, what you seed while you are downloading it cannot get you in trouble because you are not seeding a complete copy of something. If you do have the complete file and are seeding it, then that is a different issue. But like I said, some torrents will get you in trouble with your ISP, and they will have to take action. But you personally are not at risk legally.

I don't want to sound like I'm advocating torrents or other downloads of copyrighted content. Personal beliefs on copyright issues aside, I'm just trying to clear up confusion.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:21 pm
Cinematographer

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_links.htm

Just thought that I would let everyone know - apparently, there is a board of 47 IMDB members who have compiled another list of 1000 films. This list is COMPLETELY separate from the list that we are going by, and does not contain ANY of the same movies. It can be seen in the .pdf file in the link, the IMDB movies start at 1001.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:23 am
Out of curiousity, what happens in January when the top 1000 movie folks do their annual update. It's likely that movies will enter and exit the top 100. At the very least, some movies will change positions. Any plans to reflect those changes here?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:19 pm