Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 am

A confession - please be gentle! 
Post A confession - please be gentle!
A few months a go i discovered the films of Douglas Sirk.

They are big lush romantic melodramas from the late fifties and early sixties.

I was intrigued having watched Dennis Quaid in Far From Heaven.

My first step was "All that Heaven Allows" followed by "Written on the Wind"

My girlfriend is convinced that I have a seriously gay side to me that is only reinforced by this behavior

She's likely right - I got more involved

Now we sit down and watch Rock Hudson romantic comedies together

I have to tell you that they are the best films to watch as a couple

On Sunday we did the Howard Hawks movie Man's Favorite Sport?

Now we are loading up our Netflix queues with more Sirk and Hudson for a weekly date with romance and lurve

Am I the only one to love these old romantic movies and melodramas?

....or is everyone still in love with Michael Bay?

Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 am
Post Re: A confession - please be gentle!
That's it? I thought it was going to be something juicy like you faked your whole persona or something like that. And yes, I do know a guy who faked his own internet persona before admitting it a couple years ago.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:00 am
Patrick wrote:
That's it? I thought it was going to be something juicy like you faked your whole persona or something like that. And yes, I do know a guy who faked his own internet persona before admitting it a couple years ago.

I don't understand that. Why would anyone fake an internet persona when the persona is virtual to begin with?
It's a strange world
Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:23 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I don't understand that. Why would anyone fake an internet persona when the persona is virtual to begin with?
It's a strange world
Rob

I realize that I have no persona here, but I personally love the idea of faking it, for the sake of humor. For example, if in like two more years Mr. Holloway confessed that he was actually a 16 year old girl from central Wyoming, wouldn't you applaud the commitment to false persona?

Instead, maybe we can just spread a rumor that Holloway is not who he says he is...

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 am
Shade wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It's a strange world
Rob

I realize that I have no persona here, but I personally love the idea of faking it, for the sake of humor. For example, if in like two more years Mr. Holloway confessed that he was actually a 16 year old girl from central Wyoming, wouldn't you applaud the commitment to false persona?

Instead, maybe we can just spread a rumor that Holloway is not who he says he is...

Hi Shade

I'm not that sure that I have made claims to being anyone specific
But let's assume that I am a 16 year old girl from Wyoming.... now what?
Roberta

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:52 am
First things first: I'm Spartacus.

But, really, I'm Spartacus trapped in a woman's body trapped in a man's body trapped in a squid's body trapped in a man's body. The squid in me has problems with commitment, the Spartacus in me has a footwear fetish, the woman inside has a romantic involvement with the squid, and the man inside of me has been having sex with with my wife behind my back.

Now that I've gotten that off my conscience I want to say that I love me some technicolor epics. All That Heaven Allows is a standard but I'll take most any Powell & Pressburger any day of the week. Melodrama, especially that 50's variety (and Bette Davis Now, Voyager variety) will always be welcome. The Doris Day/Rock Hudson stuff I'm not too crazy about (the squid inside of me as well as the me outside of me has an aversion to Tony Randall) but I wouldn't kick it to the curb. I didn't much like Pillow Talk but it's harmless entertainment that doesn't foreshadow the death of humanity's better half. You know, like G.I. Joe does.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:20 am
[/quote]

It's a strange world
Rob[/quote]

Instead, maybe we can just spread a rumor that Holloway is not who he says he is...[/quote]

Hi Shade

I'm not that sure that I have made claims to being anyone specific
But let's assume that I am a 16 year old girl from Wyoming.... now what?
Roberta[/quote]

Zing! Well played, sir, well played.

And to address the original post, my girlfriend and I happen to love Rock Hudson movies as well. I agree heartily that they are the best films for couples.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:18 am
Haha pussy :lol:

But all jokes aside I think for movies like those you need to have the right people to watch it with. I must confess I haven't really watched anything before the 1970s in terms of romance. I'm still trying to get around to doing Casablanca - which probably has the most appeal, being set against an exotic location admits the backdrop of WW2.

I guess these days you just don't get those lush grandeur romances of the past - probably because people have become overall more realistic / cynical in their expectations ;)

The only movie from recent years that kind of reminded me of the past was The English Patient.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:45 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It's a strange world
Rob

Well he wanted to be respected and not be made fun of cause he was a kid so he said he was about 10 years older than he was and talked about his job at Wal-Mart and how he punched the manager and got fired. I think he's 18 now and I've known him for about 5 years.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:08 am
Director

Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It's a strange world
Rob

Well he wanted to be respected and not be made fun of cause he was a kid so he said he was about 10 years older than he was and talked about his job at Wal-Mart and how he punched the manager and got fired. I think he's 18 now and I've known him for about 5 years.

And now, he works at Taco Bell asking a simple joe if he wants a chalupa. :lol:

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:05 am
Profile YIM
new_xieland wrote:
Haha pussy :lol:

But all jokes aside I think for movies like those you need to have the right people to watch it with. I must confess I haven't really watched anything before the 1970s in terms of romance. I'm still trying to get around to doing Casablanca - which probably has the most appeal, being set against an exotic location admits the backdrop of WW2.

I guess these days you just don't get those lush grandeur romances of the past - probably because people have become overall more realistic / cynical in their expectations ;)

The only movie from recent years that kind of reminded me of the past was The English Patient.

Hi New-xieland

I envy you! So many treats ahead.

Can i humbly recommend a romantic heart breaker that is not as famous, but just as good, as Casablanca

Letter From An Unknown Woman

Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 am
Cinematographer

Eh, that's not a terrible confession. My little brother watches Sandra Bullock movies (along with many other modern chick flicks) with my mom quite regularly. And It's not because Sandra Bullock is hot. I'm sure this is much worse. He is DEFINITELY old enough to know better.

Older rom-coms are a different matter though. It really depends. There are a lot out there that just annoy the hell out of me because they are really stupid, and then someone gets married after knowing the other person for 10 minutes. Quite often, I guess the entire plot within the first few minutes. I don't like those movies.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones out there. But personally, my favorite film romances are NOT from rom-coms. In addition to this, I didn't find Casablanca to be all that romantic. The two that come to mind are Atonement and The Apartment (the French one).

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 pm
Director

Quote:
A few months a go i discovered the films of Douglas Sirk.

TCM is showing some Sirk films on Wednesday (one is a film noir)

Quote:
8:00 PM
Magnificent Obsession (1954)
A playboy becomes a doctor to right the wrong he's done to a sightless widow.
Dir: Douglas Sirk Cast: Jane Wyman , Rock Hudson , Agnes Moorehead .
C-108 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

10:00 PM
Imitation Of Life (1959)
Two mothers, one white, one black, face problems with their rebellious daughters.
Dir: Douglas Sirk Cast: Lana Turner , John Gavin , Sandra Dee .
C-125 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

12:15 AM
There's Always Tomorrow (1956)
When a toy manufacturer feels ignored and unappreciated by his wife and children, he begins to fall in love with a former employee.
Dir: Douglas Sirk Cast: Barbara Stanwyck , Fred MacMurray , Joan Bennett.
BW-84 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

2:00 AM
Written On The Wind (1957)
A young woman marries into a corrupt oil family then falls for her husband's best friend.
Dir: Douglas Sirk Cast: Rock Hudson , Lauren Bacall , Robert Stack .
C-99 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

4:00 AM
Shockproof (1949)
A beautiful ex-con falls for her parole officer while still dating the crook who landed her in prison.
Dir: Douglas Sirk Cast: Cornel Wilde , Patricia Knight , John Baragrey .
BW-80 mins, TV-PG,

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/6 ... -7-31.html

very interested in "There's Always Tomorrow," which apparently isn't available on dvd in widescreen. They are repeating it next Wednesday as well. It was the 4th and final film Stanwyck & MacMurray did together.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:18 pm
Producer

The Claudette Colbert version of Imitation of Life is a really good film. I haven't seen the remake.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
The Claudette Colbert version of Imitation of Life is a really good film. I haven't seen the remake.

The remake is sudsy as all hell, but it's really good at it

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 pm
Director

from wiki

Quote:
Film critic Roger Ebert has said, "To appreciate a film like Written on the Wind probably takes more sophistication than to understand one of Ingmar Bergman's masterpieces, because Bergman's themes are visible and underlined, while with Sirk the style conceals the message.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
from wiki

Quote:
Film critic Roger Ebert has said, "To appreciate a film like Written on the Wind probably takes more sophistication than to understand one of Ingmar Bergman's masterpieces, because Bergman's themes are visible and underlined, while with Sirk the style conceals the message.

I don't think Sirk is nearly as subversive as people think he is, for what it's worth

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 pm